Page 231 of 233 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233 LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,620 of 4657

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

  1. #4601
    Mudslinger
    malfie13's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2017
    Location

    Long Island, New York
    Posts

    159

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorruk View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I have a question about a deck that does not see a lot of play but with which I have maybe a 10% winrate... I am talking about Goblins.
    I just can't handle them, unless we are on the play with chalice for 1, the goblin lacquey is destroying us, and they can just destroy our whole board ... How do you do to fight them ?
    They have vial -> chalice, trinisphere and taxe are less relevant.
    Ugin is too slow
    Wurmcoil can buy some time but that's it
    Hi agree with the above. The matches are hard. I think that spyglass is great. It can be particularly good on vial, waste or port and ofc their destruction, mr crater maker. Also, yeah, wail or contortions are great answers to whatever the lynchpin of their strategy is. Ugin or all is dust will mop up the pieces if we survive with mana past t3 or 4.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

  2. #4602
    Mudslinger
    malfie13's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2017
    Location

    Long Island, New York
    Posts

    159

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    They too rely on the top of their deck, run mana light and lean hard on vial. If you run wasteland and spyglass mb, you've got more than a decent chance g1 to just lock em out without a t2 lackey. Metalworker also does a decent job blocking, just as de as deathrite did before it.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

  3. #4603
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Hi,
    Ty all for your answers
    I agree with your answers, I may have been unlucky with their T1 lackey and then super aggro start ^^ (or settler, cratermaker, trashmaster ...)
    Globally I was also siding the same things, siding out trinisphere, sundering titan, spine, and chalice (all the 4, they have vial and cavern) but i never survived enough to slam a Ugin.

    I will theoretically go in a large event next event, I will tell you how the deck performs

  4. #4604

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorruk View Post
    Hi,
    Ty all for your answers
    I agree with your answers, I may have been unlucky with their T1 lackey and then super aggro start ^^ (or settler, cratermaker, trashmaster ...)
    Globally I was also siding the same things, siding out trinisphere, sundering titan, spine, and chalice (all the 4, they have vial and cavern) but i never survived enough to slam a Ugin.

    I will theoretically go in a large event next event, I will tell you how the deck performs
    Good luck at your next event. . Also, remember, there isn't physically enough sideboard space to prepare for every deck. Sometimes you just gotta take your lumps from the occasional off meta strategy. I have 5+ years experience on MUD, and I still take my lumps from elves all the time. You can have a plan for every matchup that at least helps in the match, but you can't sideboard enough to turn every match into a 90/10 win rate.

  5. #4605
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Thank you :)

    And yes, that's for sure ^^
    I might be going into sideboard hate more intensively, as I play an urborg I'm still hesitating between 3 faerie macabre and 4 leylines. Both have their pros and cons but I'm seeing quite a lot of Reanimator and dredge, also leylines help against Loam & RG Lands. On the other hand 4 slots is a lot.
    As we mentionned earlier I may also cut a kuldotha for a ballista. With the delvers running around I enjoy having the possibility to wrath the board with hellkite. I will share you my list once it is finished

  6. #4606
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Hi everyone !
    A quick report about the event I attended last sunday.
    We were 65 at the beginning of the tournament and ready to battle for a dual (First goes with a volcanic island -> badlands -> savannah -> plateau)
    My decklist is the following :

    // Arpenteurs (2)
    2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    // Créatures (19)
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Steel Hellkite
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    // Sorts (15)
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Staff of Domination
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Lightning Greaves
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    // Terrains (24)
    2 Vesuva
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Cloudpost
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Wasteland
    4 Glimmerpost
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Inventor's Fair
    // SIDE DECK (15)
    SB: 1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    SB: 1 Wurmcoil Engine
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Staff of Nin
    SB: 1 Batterskull
    SB: 1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    SB: 2 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 3 Warping Wail
    I ended up at 5-2 having faced the following decks
    R1 (L) - Instant reanimator (decklist can be found here or something similar to this)
    R2 (L) - Burn
    R3 (W) - UR Rea
    R4 (W) - Jund depth (interesting mix of BGr good stuff, smallpox and loam + depth package)
    R5 (W) - Sneak and Show
    R6 (W) - Grixis Control
    R7 (W) - ???

    I will post a more detailed report in the next few days. But globally the deck felt strong except 2 games where it just trolled me so hard (R1 : Keep a hand with 4 lands and some disruption, I drew only lands and grim monolith until I draw a blightsteel that got discarded .... to be drawn back the following turn...)

    I was waiting for more delver/D&T, explaining the addition of Ballista in place of a Kuldotha.

    Additionnal "fun" fact, I was deckchecked between R1 and R2 (maybe because my deck is pimped ?) and, as I was worried about, I got a warning for marked sleeves. I have the habit of using the same sleeves for all my decks, so some cards are a bit more used that others. Usually before larger event I change my sleeves but this day I had only something like 50 sleeves and I considered that it would be worse to have new and old ones. As no pattern was detectable he allowed me to play the R2 and I just had to change the sleeves between R2 and R3. Additionnaly he considered that one of my foil chalice was bent, and that it was recognizable (you know the technique where you make your deck fall from something like 10-20 cm and the deck will separate in two piles, the piles beeing separated by the bent card). I asked him to show me, and on 4 tests, not a single one revealed twice the same cards, and not a single one of them revealed the supposedly bent chalice. I still had to change it for the R3. Luckily a vendor was on site and agreed to lend me a chalice for the tournament.
    Anyway, I got a bit salty after all this and may have not been in the best mood for facing a MU that I usually consider favored.

  7. #4607

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorruk View Post

    Additionnal "fun" fact, I was deckchecked between R1 and R2 (maybe because my deck is pimped ?) and, as I was worried about, I got a warning for marked sleeves. I have the habit of using the same sleeves for all my decks, so some cards are a bit more used that others. Usually before larger event I change my sleeves but this day I had only something like 50 sleeves and I considered that it would be worse to have new and old ones. As no pattern was detectable he allowed me to play the R2 and I just had to change the sleeves between R2 and R3. Additionnaly he considered that one of my foil chalice was bent, and that it was recognizable (you know the technique where you make your deck fall from something like 10-20 cm and the deck will separate in two piles, the piles beeing separated by the bent card). I asked him to show me, and on 4 tests, not a single one revealed twice the same cards, and not a single one of them revealed the supposedly bent chalice. I still had to change it for the R3. Luckily a vendor was on site and agreed to lend me a chalice for the tournament.
    Anyway, I got a bit salty after all this and may have not been in the best mood for facing a MU that I usually consider favored.
    I made the switch to perfect hard inner sleeves to try and avoid this, as my MUD deck has alot of foils also. Everyone I've talked to about this swears by the perfect hards. It does make the deck feel like an edh deck, but if it saves from this kind of nonsense, then I'm all for it.

  8. #4608
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkX9 View Post
    I made the switch to perfect hard inner sleeves to try and avoid this, as my MUD deck has alot of foils also. Everyone I've talked to about this swears by the perfect hards. It does make the deck feel like an edh deck, but if it saves from this kind of nonsense, then I'm all for it.
    Thanks for the advice, are you talking about the KMC brand ? or other manufacturers also do so ?

  9. #4609

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorruk View Post
    Thanks for the advice, are you talking about the KMC brand ? or other manufacturers also do so ?
    I bought kmc perfect hard. Just for my MUD. They are too fat for me to plan everything switching to these.

  10. #4610
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorruk View Post
    Hi everyone !
    A quick report about the event I attended last sunday.
    We were 65 at the beginning of the tournament and ready to battle for a dual (First goes with a volcanic island -> badlands -> savannah -> plateau)
    My decklist is the following :



    I ended up at 5-2 having faced the following decks
    R1 (L) - Instant reanimator (decklist can be found here or something similar to this)
    R2 (L) - Burn
    R3 (W) - UR Rea
    R4 (W) - Jund depth (interesting mix of BGr good stuff, smallpox and loam + depth package)
    R5 (W) - Sneak and Show
    R6 (W) - Grixis Control
    R7 (W) - ???

    I will post a more detailed report in the next few days. But globally the deck felt strong except 2 games where it just trolled me so hard (R1 : Keep a hand with 4 lands and some disruption, I drew only lands and grim monolith until I draw a blightsteel that got discarded .... to be drawn back the following turn...)

    I was waiting for more delver/D&T, explaining the addition of Ballista in place of a Kuldotha.

    Additionnal "fun" fact, I was deckchecked between R1 and R2 (maybe because my deck is pimped ?) and, as I was worried about, I got a warning for marked sleeves. I have the habit of using the same sleeves for all my decks, so some cards are a bit more used that others. Usually before larger event I change my sleeves but this day I had only something like 50 sleeves and I considered that it would be worse to have new and old ones. As no pattern was detectable he allowed me to play the R2 and I just had to change the sleeves between R2 and R3. Additionnaly he considered that one of my foil chalice was bent, and that it was recognizable (you know the technique where you make your deck fall from something like 10-20 cm and the deck will separate in two piles, the piles beeing separated by the bent card). I asked him to show me, and on 4 tests, not a single one revealed twice the same cards, and not a single one of them revealed the supposedly bent chalice. I still had to change it for the R3. Luckily a vendor was on site and agreed to lend me a chalice for the tournament.
    Anyway, I got a bit salty after all this and may have not been in the best mood for facing a MU that I usually consider favored.

    So for the report:
    R1 : Instant reanimator
    G1 : I lose the toss but I know he is on Bw reanimator so I keep a hand based on t1 metalworker. He goes T1 fetch and nothing, I do T1 ancient tomb, grim monolith, metalworker.
    EoT he entombs Grisel.
    T2 he reanimates Grisel with shallow grave, draw 14 cards, swing for 7 and draw another 7 cards. Then with various discards he ripped apart my hand leaving me with greaves and another artifact.
    I draw the magical wurmcoil, reveal 3 artifacts in hand, play it, play greaves and attack him for lethal.
    He sighs as he drew nothing out of 21 cards and I have drawn one of the 7 seven cards I needed.


    G2 : I keep a land heavy hand with the hope of drawing some gaz. Unfortunately discard coupled with drawing so many lands or blightsteel colossus (that got discarded and drawn the following turn !) makes me do nothing but play land and grim ...
    G3 is more interesting with me locking the game with lodestone golem and thorn. He is also manaflooded but still succesfully plays a lotv as I get flooded by lands, grim and a staff of domination. He manages to make me sacrifice lodestone to then reanimate it. I am forced to ping myself with ancient tomb to tap it before attack. Finally I draw nothing and lose beaten by my own lodestone. Where are my creatures ?

    R2 : Burn - on the draw
    G1 I got destroyed by a super fast clock consisting of multiple prices, goblin guide and swiftspear.
    G2 I got the god hand against burn : T1 chalice on 1. T2 thorn, T3 chalice on 2. T4 wurmcoil, T5 wurmcoil. He concedes as soon as he sees the second wurmcoil
    G3 : He starts with a suspended riftbolt, I play a T1 thorn. He follows by paying for the rift bolt and play a land. T2 I play land and a grim. T3 He bolts my face. I play wurmcoil engine and pass. T4 land go. He smashes to smithereens my wurm in attack phase. I estimate I already left enough life with my ancient tomb, and as I am afraid of price I hold the 2 others I have in hand, at least as long as I can't cast another wurm or preferably a chalice on 2. T5 land go. He let me attack with the wurms and I gain 3 life. EoT price of progress. T6 nothing. I want to attack but he prices me and kill me with fireblast.

    R3 : UR rea - on the draw
    G1 He starts the game by revealing a chancellor. Play a land unmask and hesitates between metalworker and grim, he finally goes for grim as I only have a ancient tomb (and a scryed cavern but he doesn't know that). I land a ancient tomb and pass. T2 he reanimates the chancellor (after discarding it end of turn). I land a cavern on construct and play metalworker getting rid of the chancellor trigger. T3 he attacks and unmask to make me discard wurmcoil . I draw an artifact that lets me cast greaves and kuldotha. I also play a chalice for zero to sacrifice everything except greaves and attack with blightsteel.
    G2 He reanimates a T2 Sire of insanity and I hesitate to scoop but hey, let's try. I drew a second cloudpost and pass. He draws useless card and I jam a lodestone.
    He then draws many useless cards (either land or non reanimating stuff) and my board is developping. Finally I win with variosu creatures.

    R4 : Jund depth - on the play
    G1 I slam a chalice on 1, he makes a sad face and said ok.
    I naturally draw many lodestones golems that got me the game through strix. I eventually saw a thespian stage but no loam so I didn't really got worried of depths. I only saw punishing fire that is the only reason I sided in faerie macabre.
    G2 Nothing very interesting here. I forced him to put marit lage into play to block my wurmcoil to then cast Ugin and exile it. Leading to me winning the game.

    R5 : Sneak and show on the draw
    G1 I win by searching for a spine of ish sah with inventor's fair when S&T is on the stack. Then beats of wurmcoil and lodestone lead me to victory.
    G2 : sorcerous spyglass on Grisel (little misplay here) and multiple taxes effect prevent him to to cast sneak attack, I got the S&T plan covered by a spine in hand.

    R6 : Grixis control
    G1 Win thanks to taxes and blightsteel with greaves
    G2 He slammed a blood moon followed by ensnaring bridge and bitterblossom, aouch ... I sided out the spine so there was no out for ensnaring bridge except the one ballista and ugin. I was able to slam a platinum emperion protected with greaves when I was a little bit under 10 lifes with him with approx 4 faeries. From there I got the game, destrying all his basics with sundering titan and drawing like crazy with staff to finally find a ugin, wrath the board and start to ping.

    R7 :
    No show


    Sorry for all the mispelling, I wrote it in a hurry.
    Any feedback is appreciated :)

  11. #4611
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Additionnaly, if some people are interested I keep a data sheet for the year.
    Unfortunately this year I was not very conscientious when filling it, so a lot of FNM / online games are missing.
    Anyway, just wanted to share it, it may be interesting for some peole.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

  12. #4612

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorruk View Post
    Additionnaly, if some people are interested I keep a data sheet for the year.
    Unfortunately this year I was not very conscientious when filling it, so a lot of FNM / online games are missing.
    Anyway, just wanted to share it, it may be interesting for some peole.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    That's a pretty cool spreadsheet. I like it alot. Have you considered grabbing the posted tournament reports from this forum that people post to expand on the sample size. I know i have atleast 3 good tournament reports on here from this past year.

  13. #4613
    Mudslinger
    malfie13's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2017
    Location

    Long Island, New York
    Posts

    159

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    @jorruk, I have a 95pct foil deck. I also use the kmc hards with dragon shield mate outer. Never had an issue with decks missing deck checks or any discernable uneven wear. And they dont bend. Which is good. Lol. Good on you for the results and report!
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

  14. #4614
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Hi all,

    I have not checked the forum during the holidays, so sorry for the delay :p
    Indeed it is a good idea Blackhawk ! But I'm a little worried since we are all using slightly different brews. I can make a spreadsheet with my only results for 2019 and another with the one I can find. I will do this.

    If any of you want the spreadsheet just ask me with private message (I am not sure formulas are visible in "view mode")
    I don't know if you have checked other tabs but I also did (I have to admit I largely inspired myself from one that I found) a spreadsheet about chances you have to get X cards according to your mulligans, the number of cards in your deck, etc etc.

  15. #4615
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by malfie13 View Post
    @jorruk, I have a 95pct foil deck. I also use the kmc hards with dragon shield mate outer. Never had an issue with decks missing deck checks or any discernable uneven wear. And they dont bend. Which is good. Lol. Good on you for the results and report!
    Thanks, I will definitely invest in these. For now I have KMC perfect fit with the horrible CFB sleeves, it was the only available there but I hate the feeling when you are shuffling.

  16. #4616

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Is anyone else going to be at the SCG team event in March in Cincinnati, or at the Niagra falls Legacy GP in April? I will hopefully be getting to go to those events and have tournament reports to share from these.

  17. #4617
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2018
    Location

    France
    Posts

    68

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    I would not be able to go to this event (coming from the UE) but I would happily recover your data :)

  18. #4618

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    So, I'm preparing for upcoming events and I was contemplating the UW control matchup. Does anyone have a good strategy that they have been successfully using vs this new version of UW control that seems to be more difficult for us with them beefing up on hard counters, more removal and just Planeswalkering is to death?

    I've been leaning more on baiting as many counters as I can to successfully land an ugin, which usually carries the match to victory fairly well. But, I feel like I want more against them. I'm starting to contemplate using staff of nin as a potential victory condition, ontop of it's value generation.

    In my experience so far, this matchup demands ratchet bombs to even have a dream of beating back to basics. Also, they seem to keep all of their creature removal in, so trying to get fatties to stick long enough seems out of the question. Sundering Titan is still a beast against UW control that demolishes their lands, so that stays in.

    Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

  19. #4619
    Member
    Airwave's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2013
    Location

    Netherlands
    Posts

    151

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkX9 View Post
    So, I'm preparing for upcoming events and I was contemplating the UW control matchup. Does anyone have a good strategy that they have been successfully using vs this new version of UW control that seems to be more difficult for us with them beefing up on hard counters, more removal and just Planeswalkering is to death?

    I've been leaning more on baiting as many counters as I can to successfully land an ugin, which usually carries the match to victory fairly well. But, I feel like I want more against them. I'm starting to contemplate using staff of nin as a potential victory condition, ontop of it's value generation.

    In my experience so far, this matchup demands ratchet bombs to even have a dream of beating back to basics. Also, they seem to keep all of their creature removal in, so trying to get fatties to stick long enough seems out of the question. Sundering Titan is still a beast against UW control that demolishes their lands, so that stays in.

    Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
    Voltaic Key might be a way to dodge Back to Basics, I'd recommend 1 or 2 max, because of Chalice nonbo.

  20. #4620

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    Voltaic Key might be a way to dodge Back to Basics, I'd recommend 1 or 2 max, because of Chalice nonbo.
    I've never been huge on voltaic key because of its conflict with our chalice on 1 all the time. On that note, I don't feel like key does anything relevant to what I want it to do in this match up, except untapped monolith once. If that's all we want it for, I think thran Dynamo is strictly better here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)