Page 216 of 243 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Another top metalworker combo player made tp 4 at scg classic this weekend!

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=118077

Woowoo!
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Quote Originally Posted by malfie13 View Post
    Another top metalworker combo player made tp 4 at scg classic this weekend!

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=118077

Woowoo!
    This was a great tournament for me. And here are my match notes to go with it.

Match notes from SCG Columbus
    Rd 1 sneak and show
    G1- I stuck a trinisphere, which bought me a few turns. He show and telled. His griselbrand and I stuck forgemaster. He hit me to 5, then I stuck emperion double tombing me to 1. Emperion beats win the game.
    G2- turn 1 boots, turn 2 metalworker, wurmcoil, portal, move boots, bash. Turn 3, lodestone, move boots bash, turn 4 2nd lodestone, boots, bash all.

Rd2 elves 2-1
    G1- my turn 2, his turn 3 natural order hoof destroyed me.
    G2- warping wail exiled heritage druid, stalled him for me to turn 4 ugin, wins.
    G3- turn 1 chalice on 1, turn 2 metalworker, turn 3 forgemaster, boots, blightsteel kill, because he kept back no blockers.

Rd3 Dnt 0-2
    G1- got out a turn 3 wurmcoil, he dropped double revoker locking down my 2x metalworker and 2x monolith, never got above 2 lands because of his wastelands. Stoneforge got batterskull, the equipped it to flickerwisp. Lots of life swings, lost the race.
    G2- mana denial and mana screwed draws.

Rd4 burn
    G1- forgemaster into platinum emperion couldn't be beat.
    G2-turn 1 post, turn 2 post,chalice on 1, turn 3 post, worker, boots, wurmcoil, move boots, couldn't race wurmcoil.

Rd5 omni- sneak and show
    G1- sneak attack put emrakul out, wiped my board. I got tomb, tomb, lodestone, tried clocking him. Got in twice, then he intuitioned for emrakul, to end it.
    G2- turn 1 tomb boots, turn 2 worker, forgemaster, blightsteel kill.
    G3- spyglass naming sneak attack, he played turn 2 bloodmoon. I played turn 2 thorn of amethyst. I Didn't miss a land drop, forgemaster into blightsteel before he found sneak with emrakul in hand.

Rd6 4color delver. (didn't show green until game 3)
    G1- he perfect tempo grixis delver style tempo'd me out.
    G2- baited counter with chalice, and kill spells with 2 lodestones, then metalworker staff combo.
    G3- spyglass on wasteland, thorn slowed him down, forgemaster, monlith. He widdled me down to 2 with zombie fish and a flipped delver. Drop batterskull, and equip to forgemaster. He drops 2 more delvers, and a young pyro, going hellbent. He doesn't block, at all and try's to race me with 3 flipped delvers for a few turns, dropping him to 2. He swings all 3 flipped delvers, leaving open in the air, and me at 6. So I forgemaster up steel hellkite, at the end of his turn, for the kill.

Rd7 maverick 2-1
    G1- he starts with noble hierarch forest, I start with tomb, monolith, turn 2 he casted a knight of the reliquary, my turn 2 is, city of traitors, 2nd monolith, ugin, and he couldn't recover.
    G2- he used knight of the reliquary to get all the wastelands, then beat me out.
    G3- I turn 1 spyglass, intending to name wasteland, but I see he has a slow hand, no wastelands, and 2 qasali pridemages, so I name the pridemage. I drop boots and ratchet bomb, tick it up to 1. He green sun zenith for gaddock teeg. . tick bomb up to 2. Pass. He swings, plays knight of reliquary and passes back. I drop metalworker, move boots, make mana, blow ratchet to kill teeg and lose my boots, drop ugin, and take over the game.

Rd8 intentionally draw with the eldrazi post guy that I beat in top 8. Didn't know what he was on yet.

Top 8 post eldrazi 2-0
    G1- tomb, monolith, boots, city, forgemaster another artifact turn 3 blighteel kill.
    G2- he mulled to 5, and I kept a fragile explosive hand. Turn 1 he played post, I played tomb, boots. His turn 2 was glimmer, monolith, into coercive portal, my turn 2 was metalworker under boots, 10 mana, coercive portal, wurmcoil, move boots, bash 6. Then his turn 3 was cast endbringer. My turn 3 was metalwork 12 mana, blight steel move boots, trample over end ringer, at 6 infect and hit with wurm. Then his play was play oblivion sower, get 2 of my post lands of the top pass. Then I made more worker mana, played batterskull, suited up to blightsteel, put boots back, and trample over oblivion sower with a 15/15 trample infect, indestructible, lifelink, vigilance, shroud, haste blightsteel. 😁

Top 4 RG lands 1-2
    G1- I played spyglass on stage to stop the fast kill, he loamed wastelands a few times, I managed to stick a grim monolith, he wasted my last land, I drew a chalice, played a land and chaliced on 2. We sat there playing draw, play land go for about 15 turns a piece while I built up my mana base again. I vesuva'd wastelands to always have 1 to kill dark depths. I then had to stick 2 lodestones and a wurm coil to get past his 2 maze of ith, after waiting out a glacial chasm.
    G2- he is on full tilt after game 1. I kept a slow ish hand, and he got the turn 3 raw dawg into stage depths.
    G3- I double spyglass, 1 on wasteland and and the other on stage, based on his hand. I got a thorn, sphere of resistance and lodestone out, he had maze to slow my clock. He paid all the taxes to double punishing fire my lodestone. I got a forgemaster out, and he started hard way removing counters from depths. I can make 25 mana by this point of the game. And I have another lodestone, and a sundering titan swinging to pace his maze. He cracks depths to make a token, before blocks I forgemaster up a staff of domination and tap down token, continue my twiddling his life. He draws a krosan grip kills staff, and token kills me. He was 1 last turn away from me getting him. . . I'm friends with dedicated lands players, so I knew it was k-grip coming, but I never saw a chalice game 3. Epic last game. But he was so tilted, so hard.

Take away notes from the day, based on my games and a few other MUD players that I observed during the day.

-when trinisphere is good it's good, if you go on the taxing plan. But when it's not good, it's really bad. I boarded them out alot, and watched multiple other MUD players get locked out under their own trinisphere. 1 was against a miracles list that showed main deck back to basics, and the others were opponents with all the wastelands.
    -thorn of amethyst was awesome in every match it came in. Bought me so much time vs show and tell decks, where trinisphere did nothing.
    -spyglass was amazing all day. I had more things to name than I had spyglass's vs lands. Naming sneak attack saved my ass, naming wasteland in multiple matches bought me so much land safety to go big. And even vs maverick, seeing the double pridmage, and no wasteland, turn 1 let me scout the hate and shut it down.
    -life gain from wurmcoil bought me so much time, to firmly reaffirm my love for wurmcoil. And even my batterskull the I view as effectively my wurmcoil 5 did work out the ass.
    -coercive portal got me a few extra cards in board stalls, but I had alot of really fast plays. So, portal didn't really shine here

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkX9 View Post
    Match notes
    Congatulations on the great finish and thanks for the report. Lots of fast boots+blightsteel kills, nice!

Would you change your list if you were to play again?

What I noticed from your report and also noticed during my own games: Sundering Titan looks great on paper but hardly ever plays a role in the game since you almost never tutor for it. You're going for the kill with Blightsteel, get Steel Hellkite for evasion-kill/destroys and tutor for Platinum as a rescue piece. So I'm wondering: Is Sundering Titan still needed mainboard or could it be put in side against color-greedy decks only (or even taken out of the 75 at all).

Nice to see that Spyglass worked out, I have high hopes for this card, still waiting to live the dream and see a turn 1 hand with three fetchlands with the same name....

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    Congatulations on the great finish and thanks for the report. Lots of fast boots+blightsteel kills, nice!

What I noticed from your report and also noticed during my own games: Sundering Titan looks great on paper but hardly ever plays a role in the game since you almost never tutor for it. You're going for the kill with Blightsteel, get Steel Hellkite for evasion-kill/destroys and tutor for Platinum as a rescue piece. So I'm wondering: Is Sundering Titan still needed mainboard or could it be put in side against color-greedy decks only (or even taken out of the 75 at all).

Nice to see that Spyglass worked out, I have high hopes for this card, still waiting to live the dream and see a turn 1 hand with three fetchlands with the same name....
    I agree. I feel like titan is either spectacular or just meh. Sometimes i feel like hellkite is a better value impact to the board

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post

Completely agree. Have not been playing titan for a year

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shallowend View Post
    Completely agree. Have not been playing titan for a year

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
    I kind of agree. Most of the time when I forgemaster, I'd rather get something else. Typically sundering titan wiping lands doesn't seem to catch you back up in these games were they only need 2 lands to run anyway, and DRS giving them all the mana fixing the field needs. I think the right call is to drop sundering titan.

I kind of agree. Most of the time when I forgemaster, I'd rather get something else. Typically sundering titan wiping lands doesn't seem to catch you back up in these games were they only need 2 lands to run anyway, and DRS giving them all the mana fixing the field needs. I think the right call is to drop sundering titan.
    What's your opinion on bottled cloister/ghirapur orrery?

Quote Originally Posted by 1ron View Post
    What's your opinion on bottled cloister/ghirapur orrery?
    Honestly, I severely dislike cloister and orrery now, way more than just playing coercive portal. Czech pile is a big bad wolf for us, packing k-command main deck, and abrade showing up in every red delver variant's sideboard. It's too easy for them, now more than ever, to blow you out of the water by blowing up cloister, stranding your hand exiled, or getting free cards and land drops from orrery, then blowing it up before you get to use it yourself. Also, coercive portal being 4cmc, vs cloister's 5 could make all the difference in those matches where you need the extra cards, to effectively efficiency race certain decks.

I think coercive portal is the best draw extra card per turn card for us. Then staff of nin. Then cloister. Then orrery.

Honestly, I severely dislike cloister and orrery now, way more than just playing coercive portal. Czech pile is a big bad wolf for us, packing k-command main deck, and abrade showing up in every red delver variant's sideboard. It's too easy for them, now more than ever, to blow you out of the water by blowing up cloister, stranding your hand exiled, or getting free cards and land drops from orrery, then blowing it up before you get to use it yourself. Also, coercive portal being 4cmc, vs cloister's 5 could make all the difference in those matches where you need the extra cards, to effectively efficiency race certain decks.

I think coercive portal is the best draw extra card per turn card for us. Then staff of nin. Then cloister. Then orrery.
    The ping ability of Staff Of Nin is extremely relevant to ping away Young Pyromancer and Baleful Strix

I think the Czech Pile matchup is actually really good, even without Staff Of Nin

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Small correction: cloister is also 4 cmc.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflame View Post
    Small correction: cloister is also 4 cmc.
    I stand corrected.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

The only reason ive been considering shelving the orrery cloister combo is exactly leovold. Other than that its an insane draw engine plus tucking hand from being stripped. There are matches where siding either or both out is correct. In full disclosure this combo is kinda my brainchild so i have to stick up for it. Lol. I do wanna get a staff of nin in there, but other than either spine or titan i dunno what to remove. I kindsa wanna cut the titan for a steel hellkite. Dunno.

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

The only reason ive been considering shelving the orrery cloister combo is exactly leovold. Other than that its an insane draw engine plus tucking hand from being stripped. There are matches where siding either or both out is correct. In full disclosure this combo is kinda my brainchild so i have to stick up for it. Lol. I do wanna get a staff of nin in there, but other than either spine or titan i dunno what to remove. I kindsa wanna cut the titan for a steel hellkite. Dunno.
    If you want a one-sided combo with cloister you could think about this card: Moonring Mirror, it's 5 instead of 4 so that's definitely a disadvantage but it works around leo.

Personally I like Cloister better than Coercive portal, because of the discard-protection and possible combi with Ensnaring Bridge, but it is more of a risk that's definitely true.

I can for sure vouch for steel hellkite. My area's meta is very fair magic flooded. Steel hellkite does serious work vs maverick, delvers, dnt, and pretty much all other fair decks. I've actually been considering possibly replacing my sundering titan with a second steel hellkite, that it's so good.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Interesting to hear that people are so down on Titan - he's consistently been my best tinker bot, and at times I've played 2. While the land destruction doesn't automatically catch you up, a 7/10 frequently does and it's an amazing proactive play. Likewise, he's much more castable than Blightsteel (though less-so than Hellkite, obviously).

Quick note on Czech: my experience with the matchup is limited, but it actually seems pretty solid for us. However, that probably depends a lot on whether you're running Ballista, Staff of Nin, or anything else that eats X/1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Quick note on Czech: my experience with the matchup is limited, but it actually seems pretty solid for us. However, that probably depends a lot on whether you're running Ballista, Staff of Nin, or anything else that eats X/1s.
    I spent a while testing the matchup, found Cavern of Souls to be the dealbreaker here; otherwise, we die to the combo of Strix/Kommand + Force + Jace Fateseal on average.
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

In fairness i currently run 2x mb baristas and a buried ruin. I go back and forth bt one mb ballista and 2. I am really having a hard time choosing my non mana ramp lands for my next larger event. Obviously i run the compliment of posts, with a stage as the 12th, and 7 sol lands. Ive been running a buried ruin, an inventors fair, and a cavern. The question is now, two mishra factories, wastelands, or another cavern and another utility land. Maybe even a second inventors fair. Ive been testing with masticore, and its been great.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Thanks auto correct, barista should not be serving coffee, it should be infinitely pinging opponents to death.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Interesting to hear that people are so down on Titan -
    Im actually not 100pct outta that camp. I still run him, as he wastes out greedy mana bases, often without the ability to rebuild, and he is a chunky monkey. Even vs a deck where he kills 2 lands on the and 2 on the way out, its still serious and eats most typical removal for lunch. Nice dismember or bolt, dude. Wanna kill it bad? That deluge is gonna sting.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Sundering Titan has always been a game winner for me, although I've never tutored for it. My Forgemaster targets are almost always Blightsteel to win the game or Emperion to not lose the game (and hopefully win shortly after).

Thread Information