Page 102 of 243 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Fairly certain the second Coating trick does not work. There is no artifact creature to sacrifice for the second activation, therefore ability fizzles.

List looks weird but cool I guess. Kinda cute with all the separate parts. You could honestly just lose Forgemaster all together.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

U/R scares me. Let's just hope I can ride COTV all the way in Minnesota along with Jersey. I can post my current list with mishra/blinkmoth manabase later if anyone is interested. Besides u/r and some midrange matches, it has been doing really solid.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

CotV @ 1 shits all over them, save Cruise and Pyro. You'll be fine.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

In play testing a resolved swiftspear was a nightmare as well. Casting 1 drops into cotv still pumped through more damage than I'd like to see.

Perhaps I should have been mulling more aggressively to lock pieces. The games I lost were when I assumed I could bait all permission first then land a threat. Cruise made that basically impossible it seemed. They ALWAYS have it..

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight View Post
    In play testing a resolved swiftspear was a nightmare as well. Casting 1 drops into cotv still pumped through more damage than I'd like to see.

Perhaps I should have been mulling more aggressively to lock pieces. The games I lost were when I assumed I could bait all permission first then land a threat. Cruise made that basically impossible it seemed. They ALWAYS have it..
    As i said earlier, i think 3sphere is the way to go. T1 you can land it with a sol land and a petal/mox or grim monolith. If they counter it you can welder (thru Caverns) it back (CotV cannot). Taking some damage is no problem. But when you connect with a Wurmcoil Engine or you get a Platinum Emperion (with greaves) you're done.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to do more testing against that list along with infect. I seem to do alright against infect, but every turn can be super scary without a trinisphere/spellskite out.

Jan 2013
    winter park, FL

Hey guys, GPOrlando was a blast, playing mud earned me 15 packs across 2 legacy challenges (4 rounds of Swiss). While this is probably the one deck I have had the most fun with since cracking my first urza's saga pack; it was time for this rusty, little metalworker to hang up his muddy lightning greaves for the last time. I ended the event today with quite a few dollars extra and a empty deck box. I hope this post doesn't discourage other planeswalkers. It's been a nice run ladies and gentlemen. Good luck!
    Primary deck: Mud
    Secondary deck: Burn
    Building: Nic Fit

Quote Originally Posted by whatwas View Post
    Hey guys, GPOrlando was a blast, playing mud earned me 15 packs across 2 legacy challenges (4 rounds of Swiss). While this is probably the one deck I have had the most fun with since cracking my first urza's saga pack; it was time for this rusty, little metalworker to hang up his muddy lightning greaves for the last time. I ended the event today with quite a few dollars extra and a empty deck box. I hope this post doesn't discourage other planeswalkers. It's been a nice run ladies and gentlemen. Good luck!
    Best of luck to you! I've learned a lot about Mono Brown from looking at lists and strategy you have posted on this forum.

Jan 2013
    winter park, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight View Post
    Best of luck to you! I've learned a lot about Mono Brown from looking at lists and strategy you have posted on this forum.
    Thanks!

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Then we share the sentiment for the Urza Block. Loved playing Wildfire- and later Tinker.dec back in the days. Pity to loose a MUD fanatic. Good luck!

Jan 2013
    winter park, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Then we share the sentiment for the Urza Block. Loved playing Wildfire- and later Tinker.dec back in the days. Pity to loose a MUD fanatic. Good luck!
    So many memories with that block, I remember when I bought the wildfire championship deck and loved berating other friend's zoo decks into the ground with it. I never got the chance to build ticker but went up against it in a lot of "type 1" tournaments. lol

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

So many memories with that block, I remember when I bought the wildfire championship deck and loved berating other friend's zoo decks into the ground with it. I never got the chance to build ticker but went up against it in a lot of "type 1" tournaments. lol
    Wildfire is pretty broken. Still trying to find a legacy shell to build around it. Resolving one T3-5 must be like game over for most decks. Also Tinker,... Can't remeber how many times i have tinkered into a Phyrexian Processor and payed 10 life to quickly get 10/10 tokens, lol. If it where not banned it would be soooo broken. T1, Solland, Mox Diamond, Tinker into Blighsteel Colossus, go...

Hi guys, deciding whether to build Welder or 12-Post build. Thinking Welder would be best, but Wasteland has no use in my meta. Which is better to build?

Quote Originally Posted by Brentane View Post
    Hi guys, deciding whether to build Welder or 12-Post build. Thinking Welder would be best, but Wasteland has no use in my meta. Which is better to build?
    I have played MUD post for quite a bit with only very limited experience with the Welder version. I do think that the welder version is less consistent, though I could easily be wrong, and the post version has an easier time going over the top of decks like Miracles. The welder version always seemed more dependent on metalworker to me and cloudpost helps get away from that, as there is a lot of match ups where metalworker isn't safe or just lack luster, and there are plenty of times when you don't draw it. I also never liked the fact that you either don't and cannot play chalice of the void as well since you are adding 1 drops to the deck, and chalice of the void was what originally drew me to the archetype. All in all I think it is personal preference, I don't think either version is inherently better though I personally prefer the 12 post version.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I love Welder MUD, I feel like the little Goblin gives the deck so much redundancy. Sure there's the nonbo of Chalice at 1, but his ability makes up for it.
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Both versions want to run wasteland, and not having it is detrimental to both. The effectiveness of lodestone golem, trinisphere, sundering titan and even chalice of the void is hurt by not running wasteland.

Read the thread, the welder versus non-welder debate has been had a million times. The welder lists are faster and more explosive, but because of this are less consistant. The cloudpost lists have more inevitability and are better lategame, but because of this are slower and struggle more against faster decks.

Both versions are highly susceptible to wasteland, and heavily reliant on metalworker and kuldotha. I prefer the welder version as I think cavern of souls is just too good to not run 4 of. The larger number of artifact lands in the welder lists also makes kuldotha activations easier and metalworker activations more potent. But they are both good, and 4 games outa 5 games you won't even notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungster
    The welder version always seemed more dependent on metalworker to me and cloudpost helps get away from that, as there is a lot of match ups where metalworker isn't safe or just lack luster, and there are plenty of times when you don't draw it. I also never liked the fact that you either don't and cannot play chalice of the void as well since you are adding 1 drops to the deck
    I just thought I should mention that the welder version is more reliant on metalworker, however it plays more cards like lightning greaves and thousand-year elixir and cavern of souls to protect the metalworkers. It also has the welders to get it back into play if it dies.

And most welder lists do run chalice of the void, with their only 1-drops being 4x goblin welder (and sometimes 1-2 voltaic keys). With chalice and welder being the most thoughtseized, countered, abrupt decayed, and generally messed with cards in the entire deck, the chances of you having both are less than you might think. It is also only a problem if you play the chalice first, then draw a welder later. Also cavern of souls can just force the welder down anyhow.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

I attended the GPT NJ at Eudemonia in Berkeley today. Apologies in advance -- this is based on 0 notes, so anyone there can feel free to chime in with corrections.

I decided TES was the best metagame choice. But, I'm a coward and TES is a big commitment. I then couldn't decide between MUD and UWR Delver, so I brought both. 10 minutes to start time, I finally decided to get my girlfriend's educated opinion on matter. Transcript below:

Me: Quick, UWR or MUD
    Her: huh?
    Me: Just pick one
    Her: mud
    Me: Boom

She still doesn't know what the hell I was talking about.

Round 1: Painter
    Game 1: He goes turn 1 Blood Moon off of Furnace and 2x SSG, he's happy. This does not actually mess with my turn 2 Chalice turn 3 Metalworker, turn 4 Titan plan. I turn 2 Chalice, turn 3 Metalworker, turn 4 Sundering Titan, he sees no more lands.
    Game 2: This game was a bit grindier. He turn 1 Tops, I turn 4 Metalworker/Staff combo, think I Chaliced.
    It was a blowout, but he had some pretty bad draws. He ended up in top 8 though, so I don't feel too bad.

1-0; 2-0

Round 2: Mono U Omni-show
    He had the bye last round, and I saw him testing. I think this is a pretty bad matchup. I'm none too pleased.
    Game 1: I almost get there, he bricks through half his deck cantripping on omniscience til finally, at 2 life, he finds Enter the Infinite and combos out (Lab Maniac plan)
    Game 2: Turn 3 Metalworker combo out on the play before Show and Tell can happen
    Game 3: Turn 1 Chalice, turn 2 Metalworker, turn 3 Show and Tell, he drops Omniscience, I drop Trinisphere. Beastmode. I play staff, 3 artifacts in hand, game.

2-0; 4-1

17 minutes left in the round. 3 games still going. I have been craving McNuggets for months, so I go get 10. Come back, turns out the games all ended as I left, and one more minute and I would have gotten the game loss. I almost wish I had...

Round 3: Death and Taxes
    Game 1: Typical value plays ending in a creature damage race that I won on the back of Steel Hellkite. We are both at 5 life. He has Thalia and Sprit of the Labyrinth out (5 power). I swing for lethal, he flashes in Mindcensor to block. Oh no. I play a Forgemaster off of an Ancient Tomb, putting me at 3, just enough to block the Spirit, take the Thalia beats, and win at 1 life.
    Game 2 and 3: Super close games that he ended up winning, both were total grindfests with me always 1 mana from overcoming. D&T did its job, I guess. His list had Wastelands and Ghost Quarters, which were just brutal. 2 Mangara of Corondor won it in the end by removing a Wurmcoil that was gumming the board while I looked for Emperion and Metalworker combo. An onlooker asked why I didnt kill a Karakas in game 2 with my wasteland, taking him off of white. I don't remember the situation, but I may have tunnel visioned on trying to cast the Forgemaster in my hand to combo out somehow, and ended up allowing him to continue establishing a board. Who knows, but it's something to think about.

2-1; 5-3

Round 4: dredge
    ID into top 8.

2-1-1; 5-3-1

Turns out they gave me 20 nuggets. I eat 19 and my Dredge "opponent" eats 1 as we test post-sideboard Dredge vs. UWR Delver. I feel terrible.

Top 8: Miracles. Big ups on the APAC basics for reals.
    Game 1: He counters 3 Chalices at 1, Cliques turn 3, I draw into Karn turn 4, exile Clique, exile a card in his hand. He Tops to find Council's Judgment. I draw into Metalworker combo with him at 0 cards (Emperion, Blightsteel and Monolith in hand).
    Game 2: He miracles'd me hard. Jace, Clique, Venser, Karakas, Terminus my Revokers, it was brutal.
    Game 3: He mulls to 5, I go turn 1 Trinisphere off of Ancient Tomb and Monolith, turn 2 Lodestone off of 2 Tombs, turn 3 Lodestone again, and hold the 4th Lodestone at 10 life just in case. Absolute nut draw against his mull. Felt bad.

Top 4: BURG Delver
    Game 1: Bolts my turn 1 and turn 2 Metalworkers (Staff in hand), drops 2 Pyros, we go mega grindfest for 30 minutes. I keep top decking Wurmcoils and my Batterskull at the last second, attacking when I have to to not die to 2 Deathrites, hoping to draw my Emperion, Forgemaster or a Metalworker combo. he finally ends it by alpha striking on turn infinity with 15 tokens, a flipped Delver, 2 Pyros, and double Deathrite ping.
    Game 2: This is where the great Gregg Spano was looking down on a young MUDder and gracing him with the beautiful topdeck magic. I mull to 5: 3 lands, Chalice, Batterskull. He Forces turn 1 Chalice, Thoughtseizes my Batterskull. Feels bad. Top deck Sundering Titan and Wurmcoil with 2 Ancient Tombs, Vesuva on Tomb, and a City of Traitors, him with a Pyro on board. I'm at 18. I decide that there's no time to Wurmcoil to stabilize with Lifelink, especially since he probably has the Bolt. So I windmill slam Titan, since if he has the Force I'm dead anyway. Titan sticks, I win. He had the Bolt.
    Game 3: A good game overall, he double Forces my first two plays (Chalice and Metalworker), I Ratchet Bombed a flipped Delver and some tokens. Metalworker #2 went HAM. Titan, Hellkite, Batterskull, Forgemaster just in case.

Finals: Same D&T again. Ghost Quarters abound.
    Game 1: Grindfest again. I got locus mana flowing. Forgemaster in play. He's attacking his Batterskull into Forgemaster to gain life. He's at 32. I drop Metalworker and Staff, only 2 artifacts in hand. Next turn I draw a land, use Staff to draw, Grim Monolith, 1 mana short of going infinite. Pass the turn, feeling confident. He drops Revoker on Staff of Domination, because he's not falling for those shenanigans again. I draw Titan. Drop Monolith, Forgemaster for Staff of Nin, ping Revoker, go infinite.
    Game 2: mull, 2 Ratchet Bomb grip, turn 2 Thalia, 3rd land is a Cloudpost, he beats down with Thalia, Spirit and Arbiter and I die with Ratchet Bomb at 2. It was a win on the play. Heartbreaking.
    Game 3: Heartbreaker blowout. Opener is turn 1 Chalice, turn 2 Trinisphere, turn 3 Metalworker. But the lands are Tomb Vesuva. He Ghost Quarters the Tomb, I have no target for Vesuva. Time walk. He beats down with Thalia and Spirit again. In retrospect, very bad keep against 6-7 strip mine.dec. Monster keep against anything else.

Decklist:

Core (24):
    4 Metalworker (absolute champion of the day)
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Grim Monolith

Utility (10):
    2 Sundering Titan
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Batterskull
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Staff of Nin
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Karn Liberated

Combo (2):
    2 Staff of Domination (bffs with the absolute champion of the day)

Lands (24):
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Vesuva
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Platinum Angel
    2 Spine of Ish Shah
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Witchbane Orb

Ruminations:
    • I love Staff of Domination. I think playing 2 is so necessary. The combo can pull you out of so many situations.
    • Lodestones actually did not play a big role at all, surprisingly, but I think that was just variance as they have crushed it for me in the past.
    • I go back and forth on the maindeck Staff of Nin. I only played it because Gregg Spano's recent top 8 list played it, but I have used Spine of Ish Shah in the main instead as a Forgemaster target before and it's gotten me out of some crazy situations (Glacial Chasm against 12post, for example). It would have worked here, as well, as it would have killed the problem Revokers, and it would have been better in a couple of places to kill Stoneforges (why are they 1/2?!).
    • Deck philosophy: Sometimes I think we should trade one or two of the big hitters for a cheaper effect, just to have more to do in the early game if there's some disruption to your Metalworker plan and you're getting the awkward land draw (e.g., 2 City of Traitors and 1 Vesuva type of thing). I don't know what that would be, but some other 2 or 3 drop that can have a good impact. However, this may be chipping away at what this deck does best, which is early disruption, expensive blowout and incredible late game topdecks. If you start adding in cheaper threats, you could start running into situations where you are flush with mana, not doing anything big, and they run you over. I don't know, food for thought.
    • The sideboard may be the weakest part of my list. The D&T mana denial was absolutely brutal, so maybe upping the Crucible count or using Pithing Needle in place of Revoker would be best.
    • I kind of want to test out Tangle Wire in the side, but I don't really know how that plays out. What is that good against?
    • I don't have any All is Dust, but they look interesting. What do you tend to side them in against?

Love the deck and the discussion. Thank you.

I do not agree with playing multiple staff of dominations. The combo is an auto win, but I you don't want draw a second one ever.
    If Metalworker was more resilient it would make sense. The fact that playing a staff before a metalworker is drawn/played untapping with it is pretty difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunfuzed View Post
    [*]I don't have any All is Dust, but they look interesting. What do you tend to side them in against?
    I have found that all is dust is best against shard less bug, being able to kill all their creatures as well as any planeswalkers is pretty sweet. I find it best at dealing with more tap out style controlling decks like shardless, deathblade or just straight UW or Esper blade. It has applications elsewhere but I find it's most reliable use is dealing with a jace without exposing yourself to sweepers like revoker does.

Thread Information