Page 13 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

bruizar

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Quote Originally Posted by SirTylerGalt View Post
    Prototype Portal tokens have the same CMC as the copied artifact. I wondered about the same thing yesterday, and found a few explanations:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=337552

http://tappedout.net/mtg-questions/d...ted-mana-cost/

The idea is that a token has 0 CMC when the CMC is not explicitely defined. But when the token is a "copy" of a card, its CMC copies the CMC of the card.
    That's actually pretty sick. Awesome!

Unrelated: note that Tangle Wire does not stop the opponent from playing instants while the Tangle Wire triggers are on the stack. They could theoretically cast a StP / Krosan Grip / Shattering Spree before tapping their permanents... It's still a good lock, but not unbreakable.
    Luckily Shattering Spree is a sorcery, but they could still shoot it towards the Portal with Tangle Wire if they drop a red source.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by L10 View Post
    Not sure if this belongs in this thread but has anyone tried a prison build with success? This is my current build.

Mana (28)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Buried Ruin
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mox Diamond

Panzer (12)
    2 Batterskull
    2 Karn, Silver Golem
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker

Locks (14)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Smokestack
    4 Tangle Wire
    2 Trinisphere

Others (6)
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Sundial of the Infinite

I really like this deck, though still needs some fine tuning.
    Smokestack goes really well with Tangle Wire and Sundial of the Infinite. If I have all three pieces on board, it is pretty much game.

Crucible of Worlds plays a huge role because I can mana lock my opponent, have a sacrifice vessel for Smokestack, or recur my lock pieces with Buried Ruin.

I decided to go with Batterskull because he is StP proof. If he does get countered or destroyed, I have Buried Ruin to fetch him back. Lifelink is always good with Ancient Tombs in my deck.

Karn is simply awesome to turn all my locks into beaters. If my opponent kills my germ token, I can turn Batterskull into a beater and before bouncing him back.

I really like this list right now. Still Tinkering with numbers and adding other cards. Though, maybe this belongs in MUD Stax, if such threads exists.
    I've been playing a Staxxy list recently, though with my schedule I've not had much time to test it (and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if it even belongs in this thread anymore...)

Mana:
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Mox Opal
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Metalworker

Disruption:
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Tangle Wire

Dudes:
    3 Esperzoa
    4 Lodestone Golem
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Batterskull
    1 Karn, Silver Golem

Utility:
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Transmute Artifact

Sideboard:
    3 Cursed Totem
    1 Transmute Artifact
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Trinisphere
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void

I've been playing around with the idea of going UB for Tezz, AoB due to his sheer power level in this kind of deck, but I'm not sure I like weakening my already delicate manabase even further by making my colored sources Wasteland-able. I'd also like to fit in a second Batterskull MB, but raising the mana curve even further and finding a cut for it (I like most of my numbers here, but your results may vary) seems iffy.

Apr 2012
    Mississauga, On

Been a long lurker of this thread, but due to difference in playstyle [prison-aggro] I didn't bother to post here. But with the current discussion, I figure I'd chime in.

In my opinion a "Stax" legacy version should start with this...

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Lodestone Golem

The first 12 cards are to ensure 2 mana on you're first turn. Which is vital for the next 8 cards. Chalice+SoR are there for a first turn lock piece which is a necessity for "Stax". Chalice is the backbone of this deck and should only be sided out against other Stax build and decks with an actual curve [Goblins] when you are ON THE DRAW.

Lodestone is just an auto include Stax or MUD imo.

The rest differs depending on the build.

Ensnaring Bridge + Bottled Cloister / Uba Mask - the pros were posted already so I'll post the negs. Portal/Uba getting destroyed, you loose your hand. It may not be a big deal with MUD cuz it dumps its hand np, but Stax is a little different.

Smokestack + Crucible of Worlds + Tangle Wire - awesome combinations. This build really needs a good reason not to consider Karn, Silver Golem

Other cards worth considering to support the Prison build.

Wildfire
    Magus of the Moon
    Blood Moon

And in my opinion Prototype Portal is not a good card to consider. It's doesn't do anything on it's own. It's only good if you have tons of mana otherwise that turn you spend casting it is tempo wasted unless you already have a good lock going on. In that case I would rather cast a finisher rather than being fancy. I see it in the same boat as Goblin Welder. I either need to pass the turn for it to work when I need it now or I'm ahead already that I can be casting something better and win now.

bruizar

First off, this might be better for the Bridgewalker thread, but since its also artifact related I might as well respond here

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    I've been playing a Staxxy list recently, though with my schedule I've not had much time to test it (and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if it even belongs in this thread anymore...
    I am not neccesarily a big fan of the blue version to be honest. You have made several card choices which in my experience have proven to be deceptive. I hope the list works well for you, but I will try to give you some helpful feedback. I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Jace, the Mindsculptor: If you want double colored Planeswalkers, I would rather go UB for Liliana and Tezzeret. I am not a fan of Jace in a deck like this. Not because he is not strong, but because he requires UU.

Sphere of Resistance: Delver makes Sphere of Resistance really bad. RUG operates on almost no mana, while Sphere of Resistance also negatively effects your entire deck. I would not like to play Sphere of Resistance except against combo.

3 Mox Diamond + 2 Mox Opal: I have played these for a long time and Mox Opal is really only good if it can get activated on turn 1 or at least turn 2. Otherwise, it's not real ramp. Mox Diamond is card disadvantage. This type of deck lives or dies by the opening hand, and Mox Diamond is like mulling to 6 in exchange for colorfixing. Mox Diamond is a real trap because it seems so good. This is also why I don't like Simian Spirit Guide, Elvish Spirit Guide or Lotus Petal. I have an UB list with Mox Opal that I'm currently also testing, and I think it really shines in this deck. I'll show you the list in in this post.

I've been playing around with the idea of going UB for Tezz, AoB due to his sheer power level in this kind of deck, but I'm not sure I like weakening my already delicate manabase even further by making my colored sources Wasteland-able. I'd also like to fit in a second Batterskull MB, but raising the mana curve even further and finding a cut for it (I like most of my numbers here, but your results may vary) seems iffy.
    I posted a reply for you in the bridgewalker thread, so we don't derail this thread. Here it is: Planeswalker Stax thread
    Last edited by bruizar; 08-11-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    First off, this might be better for the Bridgewalker thread, but since its also artifact related I might as well respond here

I am not neccesarily a big fan of the blue version to be honest. You have made several card choices which in my experience have proven to be deceptive. I hope the list works well for you, but I will try to give you some helpful feedback. I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Jace, the Mindsculptor: If you want double colored Planeswalkers, I would rather go UB for Liliana and Tezzeret. I am not a fan of Jace in a deck like this. Not because he is not strong, but because he requires UU.

Sphere of Resistance: Delver makes Sphere of Resistance really bad. RUG operates on almost no mana, while Sphere of Resistance also negatively effects your entire deck. I would not like to play Sphere of Resistance except against combo.

3 Mox Diamond + 2 Mox Opal: I have played these for a long time and Mox Opal is really only good if it can get activated on turn 1 or at least turn 2. Otherwise, it's not real ramp. Mox Diamond is card disadvantage. This type of deck lives or dies by the opening hand, and Mox Diamond is like mulling to 6 in exchange for colorfixing. Mox Diamond is a real trap because it seems so good. This is also why I don't like Simian Spirit Guide, Elvish Spirit Guide or Lotus Petal. I have an UB list with Mox Opal that I'm currently also testing, and I think it really shines in this deck. I'll show you the list in in this post.

I posted a reply for you in the bridgewalker thread, so we don't derail this thread. Here it is: Planeswalker Stax thread
    My deck is probably going the route of the Bridgewalker deck, I won't deny that. Once (and if) I end up dropping Metalworker (and thereby giving up the ability to drop multiple lockpieces on a single turn early in the game), I'll be forced to redesign the deck with that in mind. Less Metalworkers - more planeswalkers, Force of Will, and such. As for your questions:

I've always gone into thinking about Mox Diamond by accepting the card disadvantage for the one extra mana on turn 1. Having two mana available on turn 1 is what seems to make or break this kind of deck, so the CDA generated by Diamond is offset by its necessity (at least in my opinion). I might agree with you on Opal; you can't count it as a ramp spell. I tend to regard it as either two mana in my hand or one blue mana on the field.

I'm not really sure where you're going with saying that Jace is bad because he costs UU. Liliana costs BB, and Tezzeret costs UB (though he is arguably more powerful than Jace here, I will agree). The main issues I have with the list you posted are really the same issues seen from different angles. You aren't running CotV, and you've opted for some rather odd choices in light of that. While I'm sure the trinket package works fine, and is probably great, you're running (once again, in my opinion) too many AIs and not enough Brainstorm. Why deny yourself access to one of the most powerful cards in Magic if you have the option to run it, especially when it allows you to get rid of the redundant cards in your deck (extra AIs, Bridges, etc). I realize that those can be pitched to Liliana, but "you can pitch it to Liliana!" is still not going to make you feel better about drawing your third copy of AI.

Your deck has probably been tuned moreso than mine has, though. I'll try to give it a run on Cockatrice.

bruizar

Perhaps I should cut the thought casts for brainstorms, not sure about that. I do know that A.I. Really works overtime in this deck.

Manafixing and land drops -> pitch dead stuff to ramp mana/Mox/affinity
    Expedition map->A.Ruins->map on top-guaranteed A.I. Activation or Mutavault/tabernacle
    Tabernacle works A little bit like an ensnaring bridge in the sense that it slows down decks tremendously
    Needles/Grafdigger's Cage help you combat deed, explosives, gsz/qasali, dredge, snapcastermage, reanimator.
    Expedition map->a.ruins->expedition map on top->4x wasteland lock, then use elixir for more wastelock
    Expedition map->a ruins->Map on top, pitch to a.i., engineered explosives lock
    Elixir of immortality gains you 5 life each turn if you need it against burn (Tezzeret ult will probably not work cause he will bolt him).
    A.i->expedition Map->a.ruins->map on top, pitch, scroll of Griselbrand wins the game easy with liliana or rings of brightheart
    Without rings or liliana you can still get Mutavault and scroll and hit for 5 (3 Grislebrand, 2 Mutavault)
    If opponent does anything, explosives loop takes care of it.
    Rings plus liliana is also GG.
    The abyss + liliana is also lethal usually, since liliana can focus on +1, and thus grow for ultimate

Jace doesn't really synergies as much with the deck as liliana, and therefore I think liliana is the way to go in this build. That said, maybe I should just cut something to add jace to the mix, I don't know. I feel like I already have enough to deal wi everything there is.

Right now, I'm still learning all the intricacies of my deck. There are so many non-obvious plays that I need to train with the deck a little longer.

Don't get me wrong. Jace will always be jace and he is bad ass, but, considering the fact that lili plays into my gameplay better and it's 3 mama instead of 4, I would rather have the lilis (4 Tezzeret and 4 jace is a stretch in the curve).

Hi guys. Top 4'd Jupiter today. Timur Babakol's the name:

http://www.jupitergamesonline.com/ar...gust-11th-2012

I'll send a report here soon.

EDIT: And here's the report:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-NELC-with-MUD
    Last edited by Zirath; 08-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Zirath View Post
    Hi guys. Top 4'd Jupiter today. Timur Babakol's the name:

http://www.jupitergamesonline.com/ar...gust-11th-2012

I'll send a report here soon.

EDIT: And here's the report:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-NELC-with-MUD
    Nice job, grats. I just got my Ports in the mail, so I'll be sleeving the deck up and running at our LGS here pretty soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

I tried the Stax build on Cockatrice, with Prototype Portal + Smokestack + Tangle Wire, but I feel like Smokestack was usually too slow to stop aggro... Also, Tangle Wire would slow them down (especially with Prototype Portal), but some still killed me during upkeep by burning me in response to the "tap 10 permanents" triggers...

I've gone back to the stompy build (inspired by bruizar's build). Currently testing:

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Voltaic Key
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Thran Dynamo

2 Metalworker

4 Lodestone Golem
    1 Moltensteel Dragon
    2 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    3 Batterskull
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph

2 Prototype Portal
    2 Karn Liberated
    3 Bonfire of the Damned

4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    7 Snow-Covered Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn

SB: 3 Cursed Totem
    SB: 3 Trinisphere
    SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Pyroblast
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 3 Shattering Spree

Some remarks:
    - Godo was awesome. It's very hard to answer a resolved Godo + Batterskull on turn 2-3.
    - Bonfire is great. In one game, my opponent had enough creatures for an alpha strike next turn. During my upkeep, I look at my top 3 cards with Sensei's Top, see a Grim Monolith and a Bonfire. I put Monolith on top, then Bonfire, draw and play the Monolith. Next turn, during his upkeep, I activate top and clear his board :)
    - Phyrexian Metamorph is great. It can copy a Lodestone Golem or some other threat for 3 mana. It can legend-slay Jitte and other legends. And it can copy fatties ;)
    - Still need to test Prototype Portal more, since I haven't seen it a lot during my games. It should theoretically be great against control, since you often want to cast it with mana open to activate it the same turn... Which means it's hard to spell pierce / daze it. For example, I'll wait to have 8 mana, play Prototype Portal (cannot be pierced, because 4 mana open), imprint it with Lodestone Golem once it resolves, and activate it immediately to play an uncounterable Golem :)
    - I wonder if I should keep the fetch lands. They help shuffle with Sensei's Top. But the life loss adds up with Ancient Tomb, and they are vulnerable to Stifle.
    - I love Godo, Bonfire, and the red SB cards... But they force me to play mountains, which means I can't play utility lands such as Buried Ruin, Mishra's Factory, or Rishadan Port... I also can't play Darksteel Citadel (which comboes with Prototype Portal).

Another idea for the manabase: play fewer mountains, and add 2-3 Mox Diamond + 4 Darksteel Citadel + 4 Ghost Quarter + 2 Crucible:
    - If you really need a red mana source, you can fetch a mountain with Ghost Quarter, by targeting one of your lands. You can target a Darksteel Citadel (which is indestructible :) ), a City of Traitors (play Ghost Quarter, destroy city in response to the sacrifice trigger), or a land targeted by an opponent's wasteland.
    - You can waste-lock your opponent. Ghost Quarter helps destroy basic lands (since most decks only play a few basics).
    - You can replay your City Of Traitors and the lands discarded to Mox Diamond
    - Buried Ruin could also be considered, but you'd lose red mana sources...

bruizar

Interesting thoughts Tyler. The reason why I haven't started playing with Prototype Portal is because it might be too hard to splash a color for it, and I'm currently putting my energy in the Godo build. That said, I will durdle around with it until I have something viable. Purely from a card strength perspective, I think Prototype Portal has what it takes to be awesome. Your ideas with Ghost Quarter and Mox Diamond are intrueging. I'm glad you are appreciating the power of Godo and Bonfire. Especially Godo solves a lot of problem this deck used to have (basically, plow/jace). Bonfire is just gravy. I've Bonfired for 12 on more than 1 occasion, and even though Fireball isn't the most sophisticated card in the game, it works surprisingly well with all that mana ramp laying around :). I also had a game where I played Lodestone Golem, followed up with a bonfire for 4, then miracled into a bonfire for 6 and won. Lodestone Golem did the remaining 10 damage with no creatures to block him.

If you're going for a heavy mountain build which is what I am doing right now, you could take these snow-cards into consideration.

Mouth of Ronom
    Glacial Crevasse
    Sunstone
    Scrying Sheets
    Rimescale Dragon

Sunstone is only better than Glacial Crevasse if you're playing with Metalcraft or Mouth of Ronom/Scrying Sheets. If that is not the case, Glacial Crevasse is better. (edit: not true, metalworker loves Sunstone more than Glacial Crevasse).

Mouth of Ronom is an answer against Gaddock Teeg

I don't think Rimescale Dragon is particularly feasible. It costs as much as Karn Liberated and can dominate the board easily, but we already have Karn ofcourse and this costs RR. Still, I wanted to mention it because it's about the splashiest snow card there is, and its in our color. Rimescale Dragon is unaffected by Gaddock Teeg, while Karn is, but this still seems a little too narrow. All is Dust also costs 7 mana, but is unavailable with Teeg in play.

Scrying Sheets is a card advantage engine, but playing with this would require the deck to play more tops and perhaps more snow permanents, so I'm not sure if this is feasible. That said, MUD has a notoriously poor card advantage engines, so although this one is bad, it might be good enough. Personally, I think the utility from Mouth of Ronom is much higher (even though I'm not sure yet if that's good enough). These snow cards are minor ofcourse, but the advantage of snow permanents is a slightly bigger card pool so why not see if there is anything useful there.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Mouth of Ronom is indeed a great tech against Gaddock Teeg. But it does not produce red mana, and I think I'd rather have Rishadan Port, Cavern of Souls, or Buried Ruin if I'm going to play an utility land. Those cards are better against control, so this might depend on the meta. It might also be good with crucible... Worth testing out.

Glacial Crevasses and Sunstone could be awesome SB answers against creature decks! Sunstone indeed synergizes better with metalcraft / lodestone golem. But I think Glacial Crevasse is better. People will bring a lot of artifact hate out of the SB against MUD, and we don't want our Sunstone to be caught in the crossfire of Ancient Grudge / Null Rod... Glacial Crevasses, being an enchantment, will be harder to answer. And the colored cost is not a problem, since you need to have a snow-covered mountain in play anyway to activate it.

Scrying Sheets is a great card advantage engine for mono-colored decks (such as The Mighty Queen). But I fear it won't be that good in MUD, since we need to play 7-8 sol lands. With 4 Ancient Tomb, 4 City of Traitors, and 4 Scrying Sheets, we are left with 10 snow-covered lands. The Mighty Queen plays 18 snow-covered plains! It can be improved with Sensei's Divining Top, but...

... If I'm going to play 3-4 tops, I'd rather combine it with voltaic key. Key + Top means you draw 1 additional card each turn for two mana (1 mana to activate key, 1 mana to replay top). With two keys, you get +2 cards each turn. You can even order the triggers to draw 2 cards and keep Sensei's Top on top of your library in an emergency (tap top, untap it with key, pay 1 mana to reorder cards with top, tap top again --> you draw a card, put top back on top, reorder the top 3 cards, then draw again).

This is even more insane with Prototype Portal. You can imprint Top on the portal, and draw one additional card each turn (more with voltaic key in play). Or you can imprint Key on the portal, make a dozen keys, make a ton of mana, and use the top + key trick to draw 10 cards :)

I think 4 keys and 3 tops might be worth it. Key synergizes with Sensei's Divining Top, mana acceleration, Prototype Portal, and lets you do nice combat tricks such as untapping a blocker, untaping a lodestone golem for Godo's second attack phase, or untaping a Mishra's Factory to boost itself. Top helps with your topdecks, and helps setup Bonfire of the vanities. The only problem is Chalice @ 1 (which is mitigated by Prototype Portal, but still stops you from replaying Top in the Top+Key combo).

Phyrexian metamorph is a great answer for Gaddock Teeg, and comboes well with Prototype Portal. It's great against Jitte, various fatties, and Reanimator. It can also save you against sneak attack: opponent plays show and tell, puts Sneak Attack in play. You put Prototype Portal, imprint it with Phyrexian Metamorph... And legend slay his hasted Griselbrand / Emrakul :)

bruizar

http://www.twitch.tv/southfloridamagic/b/328651213

1:40 is a fitting example of why Kuldotha Forgemaster is not a good card for this deck. No offense to the player, but please watch it for educational purposes, so we can all learn from this. My goal is to get an artifact deck into the top tier of Legacy, and anything that helps us get closer to achieving that is worth watching.

Here are the play errors that caused him to lose pretty badly.
    1) Sack Crucible of Worlds instead of Mishra's Factory for Forgemaster when he has mana to activate his land, and then replay it next turn with Crucible
    2) Grab Blightsteel Colossus instead of Sundering Titan. S. Titan would have still caught a Path to Exile, but at least he would leave the game state with Crucible + Mishra's Factory + Wasteland and get an extra mountain himself, with no basics for the Zoo player. 1/1 Nacatl isn't going to kill you.

He would eventually still die, because the Qasali Pridemage would shoot the Crucible and the Nacatl would trade with the Factory/any bolt.

Now, I don't have his decklist, but I can imagine his options were either:
    Wurmcoil Engine
    Sundering Titan
    Spine of Ish-Sah
    Blightsteel Colossus
    Steel Hellkite
    and an off chance on a Myr Battlesphere

Wurmcoil Engine and Steel Hellkite would have eaten a PTE the same way Blightsteel Colossus did.

Spine of Ish-Sah could have taken out 1 permanent, if that would happen, the Forgemaster would catch the PTE and he would still have 3 for 1'd himself with no way to get rid of his Spine.

I already discussed sundering titan

Myr Battlesphere would have been an interesting play, because it would force him to choose between using his PTE on Kuldotha Forgemaster and to Myr Battlesphere. If the PTE targeted Kuldotha Forgemaster, the Myr Battlesphere could race the Zoo player. If the Zoo player targeted the Myr Battlesphere, the MUD player could activate his Kuldotha Forgemaster again, but this time against 1 Path to Exile less.

In hindsight, depending on his list, he would have had to play Myr Battlesphere to win this game with the Kuldotha Forgemaster setup. This means it requires the dedication of yet another silverbullet-slot. The Sundering Titan might have also saved his ass, but we don't really know.

Take this into consideration:

Moltensteel Dragon would have been much better than Forgemaster-into-Blightsteel Colossus. It would have not been an all-in-play. Channeling life would have been very dangerous here, but you don't have to do that per se. He could still one-shot with Moltensteel Dragon if the Zoo player was tapped out / no red source.

Kuldotha Forgemaster should have been a Batterskull/Godo mix. Wurmcoil would have been exiled JUST as easily as Blightsteel Colossus. Atleast, he would still have his crucible/waste recursion and his mox diamond to help him bounce the Batterskull and replay it again. This might not even have been enough in this situation though.You need to play cards that can survive an STP/PTE. If you don't have a way to beat STP or Jace, you are gonna have troubles making it to the top tables with MUD. My STP/Jace plan is chalice for 1, Batterskull or Godo, Bruizar Warlord. :D While you're at it, Cavern of Souls fights these type of decks' stack manipulation (StP and Jace frequently ride together (stoneblade/miracles).

Other Topic:
    I would like to know if anyone has tried the 12-post engine in MUD/Stax yet. The manabase actually gains life, instead of sink life like Ancient Tomb do. I'm thinking Eye of Ugin and 2 eldrazi (Emrakul+Kozilek or Ulamog). Ulamog would be able to blow up your own Ensnaring Bridge, which is an interesting interaction. Play Emrakul, Take an extra turn, Play Ulamog blow up Ensnaring Bridge, attack with Emrakul. I won't run it but I just wanted to mention the super sweet interaction between It That Betrays and Smokestack :D

Perhaps 12post/turboeldrazi is simply better, but I still wonder if there is a possibility to run the land engine in mud/stax. Atleast, in Stax/MUD you don't HAVE to splash an extra color so the manabase should be a bit better.

I am also curious what other lands to play next to the 12post engine of:
    4 Vesuva
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Eye of Ugin?

4 Rishadan Port / 4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb/ 4 City of Traitors

x Buried Ruins? (Sounds like a really good plan when crucibles are this important and you can have access to a lot of mana.)
    1 Dustbowl? (Plenty of mana, perhaps with Expedition Map? worst or better than Wasteland?)

Other lands I missed?

Please discuss!

p.s. @ tyler:
    I agree on most of the things you said. I still need to put some more testing into Phyrexian Metamorph and Prototype Portal. Especially the fact that you're not dead entirely screwed when reanimator/sneakshow/SNT-griselbrand (omniscience) or Gaddock Teeg go off is attractive. Also, right now, I play between 3 and 4 Grafdigger's Cage sideboard to combat GSZ into Gaddock Teeg (and dauntless escort) against Maverick. It also offers great splash damage to reanimator, past in flames and dredge and can be played before the zenith goes off.
    Last edited by bruizar; 08-15-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Unfortunately I cannot watch the replay since I'm on my iPhone but based on what you said, I would have went for Sundering Titan or Myr Battlesphere. Sundering Titan would have hampered his mana base (and shrunk the Nacatl) while leaving your mana base. Like what you said, a 1/1 Nacatl wouldn't kill you right away. The Battlesphere would have left blockers and fuel for another Forgemaster activation.

Honestly, I wouldn't have activated Forgemaster. I would have waited until he tried to PtE it. While I understand he eventually had Pridemage, I would still just play the waiting game and respond with the Forgemaster. I think Forgemaster timing is one of the things that's setting people back with the Forgemaster build.

Forgemaster is a fine blocker and can survive an attack from a 3/3. If he attacked with a 3/3 (or 4/4 if he has the Pridemage) and blocked with it, there's a chance he'll PtE Forgemaster in response. Then respond with the activation (maybe grab Wurmcoil) do when he activates Pridemage, you'd still have the wurm tokens.

If he Pridemages your Forgemaster, activate it grabbing Titan or Battlesphere. At least this way, you'd either still have blockers or leveled his mana base. (if he does Path what you grab).

Rules question: if your opponent Paths your Sundering Titan, does the land you grab get blown up with Titan (given that you have to choose it)?

PS: I would advocate to no rely on Forgemaster but I still think its good to run it because it can create unanswerable scenarios.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Mar 2007
    Montreal, Qc

May I suggest Duplicant against SneakShow, a one-of maindeck for the surprise factor g1 might win games by itself.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Rules question: if your opponent Paths your Sundering Titan, does the land you grab get blown up with Titan (given that you have to choose it)?
    You would fetch the land, then trigger Titan once PtE completed its resolution.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

@bruizar:

I agree with you regarding Kuldotha. While the Kuldotha build can be very explosive, it lacks resiliency. I'd rather play the German MUD stompy version (with which Zirath top8'ed a few times), or your Godo stompy build.

Interesting thoughts on the 12-post engine. Worth testing. Plus, Eye of Ugin can also tutors for other artifact creatures :)

I've thought about a creature that could potentially fit with your Godo build: Taurean Mauler. It's played in some Dragon Stompy builds. It's a changeling, so it's untaped by Godo for the second attack phase. You can play it with Cavern of Souls set to "Human" (for Godo) or "Golem" or whatever. It's also pretty good against Merfolk, due to the nice +1/+1 and Islandwalk from Lord of Atlantis (doesn't work with the new lord though).

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    May I suggest Duplicant against SneakShow, a one-of maindeck for the surprise factor g1 might win games by itself.
    I think Phyrexian Metamorph covers that matchup. While Duplicant is a great removal spell, it doesn't solve the Show and Tell dilemma (just like Metamorph). Metamorph also has applications that Duplicant cannot fulfil and can sometimes be dead in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    You would fetch the land, then trigger Titan once PtE completed its resolution.
    Thank you for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTylerGalt View Post
    @bruizar:

I agree with you regarding Kuldotha. While the Kuldotha build can be very explosive, it lacks resiliency. I'd rather play the German MUD stompy version (with which Zirath top8'ed a few times), or your Godo stompy build.

Interesting thoughts on the 12-post engine. Worth testing. Plus, Eye of Ugin can also tutors for other artifact creatures :)

I've thought about a creature that could potentially fit with your Godo build: Taurean Mauler. It's played in some Dragon Stompy builds. It's a changeling, so it's untaped by Godo for the second attack phase. You can play it with Cavern of Souls set to "Human" (for Godo) or "Golem" or whatever. It's also pretty good against Merfolk, due to the nice +1/+1 and Islandwalk from Lord of Atlantis (doesn't work with the new lord though).
    I think Forgemaster is situational depending on meta. For now, I will not cut it.

As for 12post, if that were the case, I would just run Turbodrazi. 12post doesn't fulfil some of the deck's broken plays such as a turn one Chalice at one, turn one Monolith to a turn two beater or even a turn 1-2 Trinisphere.

As for Mauler, I actually think it can shine in the deck because of Cavern + Changeling.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Wurmcoil Engine and Steel Hellkite would have eaten a PTE the same way Blightsteel Colossus did.

Kuldotha Forgemaster should have been a Batterskull/Godo mix. Wurmcoil would have been exiled JUST as easily as Blightsteel Colossus. Atleast, he would still have his crucible/waste recursion and his mox diamond to help him bounce the Batterskull and replay it again. This might not even have been enough in this situation though.You need to play cards that can survive an STP/PTE. If you don't have a way to beat STP or Jace, you are gonna have troubles making it to the top tables with MUD. My STP/Jace plan is chalice for 1, Batterskull or Godo, Bruizar Warlord. :D While you're at it, Cavern of Souls fights these type of decks' stack manipulation (StP and Jace frequently ride together (stoneblade/miracles).
    I think you are exaggerating cards like Swords and Path. I have never lost a match in the past 3-4 months as a result of either of those cards and believe me, many have been cast on my creatures. Tight play complete ignores any problem created by exiling. You also don't play Revoker, which gets hit by Swords a lot.

Dodging Swords with Godo doesn't dodge other problem cards necessarily. It also makes Wasteland more live against you since Mountains are worth less than your other lands.

I think you underestimate how baiting Swords can win a game easily.

bruizar

Along the same human-tribe line i was Considering arcum dagsson over kuldotha forge master. You still get to tinker but don't have to sack your board for an artifact. Arcum is human as well, so adding volcanics / caverns should cover the mana cost. I actually think a split between volcanic, mountain and scalding tarn is better. There are 4 cards I would try.

Main deck:
    Possessed portal+Spine of Ish-Sah - get portal, then get spine, shoot something, sack spine to Portal, return it, replay it, shoot something.

Sideboard:
    Contagion engine - against tribal and maverick
    Trinisphere / witch bane orb

And maybe, but I don't think so, Mycosynth lattice, because it's crazy with Karn silver golem or voltaic key ( arcum becomes: tap remove a creature, karn becomes great nut lattice does nothing in its own. Lattice is also a post board liability

It also gets Batterskull and can use the germ as fodder for another artifact. The effect is less powerful than kuldotha forgemaster, but the fact that it 1 for 1's might be good enough. Also the interaction with lattice is nice since not only can you convert all his creatures to artifacts, you can sack arcum for itself and play another one. It's also another answer to gaddock teeg.

This is another card i need to try out.

@zirath: you, and some others have clearly been doing well with the colorless build. I think that you can't Hope for someone to catch your bait in a tournament nbecause you should always expect that you opponent makes the optimal play. Otherwise, your opponent is simply allowing you to win. I would love to see a game from you where you are dealing with plowshares on your key cards, beat gaddock teeg or circumvent counters.

Btw: what are the problem matchups you encounter and why? Which cards give you the most troubles?

I do think that I might be underestimating buried ruin.

@tyler: will think about mauler. Needs to be in play quickly to grow big, but uncounterable turn 2 mauler could get gigantic. Untapping with Godo is nutty! Good find.

@namelessone I think you're right about 12post. I tried making a draft of a list like that but it was terrible.

@zirath: you, and some others have clearly been doing well with the colorless build. I think that you can't Hope for someone to catch your bait in a tournament nbecause you should always expect that you opponent makes the optimal play. Otherwise, your opponent is simply allowing you to win. I would love to see a game from you where you are dealing with plowshares on your key cards, beat gaddock teeg or circumvent counters.

Btw: what are the problem matchups you encounter and why? Which cards give you the most troubles?

I do think that I might be underestimating buried ruin.
    I don't need to hope for someone to take the bait; many times, they have to. Cards like Revoker and Hellkite completely tie up games and produce very awkward situations.

In the feature match I had from Jupiter, I played against Miracles, a deck with Swords and Permission. I beat him handedly. It's all about being proactive. You can proactively control their board position so they are forced to play sub-optimally.

Price of Progress. That card has given me the most trouble in matches. I can deal with counters and Swords and even Eldrazi. I can't deal with taking 8 damage on the spot which I can't block.

RUG Delver is a match I've needed to reconsider. I think it should be alright but I have to change my approach to the match significantly. This is the only match up where I wish I had Batterskull at times.

Thread Information