Page 138 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188238 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

I've seen lists playing Smokestack. How do we effectively play that card? Do we typically have enough permanents in play to let it sit around with a few counters on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch253 View Post
    I've seen lists playing Smokestack. How do we effectively play that card? Do we typically have enough permanents in play to let it sit around with a few counters on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Staxbuilds often run Goblin Welder, Tangle Wire and Crucible of Worlds in conjuction to most of the "other" usual suspects. You could choose to not run Chalice and go with Voltaic Key and Sensei's Divining Top next to Daretti.
    But also the UB Tezzeret Super Stax ran it along with Jace and The Abyss. Also seen with Braids, Cabal Minion.
    Anyway, i am not sure if we want to be doing thus over Cloudpost and Ugin.

Edit: and dont forget about white stax aka Dutch Stax...
    Last edited by Bobmans; 06-27-2015 at 11:40 AM.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

bruizar

Nowadays its hard not to gain an advantage from Smokestack. The problem is that it takes 4 mana and a turn before it does anything. Smokestack becomes incrementally better the longer it stays in play because all the easy sacrifices are made first. You essentially win with Smokestack when the difficult choices have to be made. Therefore, you don't even need to combine it with Crucible of Worlds, or more obscure cards like Flagstones of Trokair, Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai, or Prototype Portal. The permanent density is already high enough to feed Smokestack. This is why I've recently become more and more interested in the Braids build. I can see a deck do well that can land a turn 2 Braids and stick it next to an early Ophinomancer, Bitterblossom or Crucible of Worlds. Last tournament I played with I did manage to lock out several games with Smokestack, so for all the times he's dead in your hand, you can also steal some games.

Vryn Wingmare - 2W

Creature - Pegasus

Flying

Non-creature spells cost 1 more to cast .

2 / 1

this is from MTG origins. I like the idea of playing a 3-drop , but I don't think this is powerful enough. A symmetrical drawback should have pushed this card to being more than a 2 / 1 . Cutting cloudposts mana to play this without draw spells is also rough . At least red gave you Welder and access to Faithless Looting .

Maybe a MUD list playing Scroll Rack and Land Tax will be competitive

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Another interesting development:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=86701

He uses several lifegain effects to draw with well of lost dreams.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness View Post
    Vryn Wingmare - 2W

Creature - Pegasus

Flying

Non-creature spells cost 1 more to cast .

2 / 1

this is from MTG origins. I like the idea of playing a 3-drop , but I don't think this is powerful enough. A symmetrical drawback should have pushed this card to being more than a 2 / 1 . Cutting cloudposts mana to play this without draw spells is also rough . At least red gave you Welder and access to Faithless Looting .

Maybe a MUD list playing Scroll Rack and Land Tax will be competitive
    If Glowrider didn't see play, I don't see how this will.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflame View Post
    Another interesting development:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=86701

He uses several lifegain effects to draw with well of lost dreams.
    I've been trying to playtest it in MTGO but haven't managed to get the Well in play yet .

I cut Staff Of Domination, Thousand-Year Elixir, Spine Of Ish Sah, 1 City of Traitors, and 1 Trinisphere, for 3 more lands and a Coercive Portal though . Otherwise it's the same list . And I took out Cavern and replaced them with Wastelands and Blasted Landscape ... I still think Blasted Landscape is really good.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

I've been trying to playtest it in MTGO but haven't managed to get the Well in play yet .

I cut Staff Of Domination, Thousand-Year Elixir, Spine Of Ish Sah, 1 City of Traitors, and 1 Trinisphere, for 3 more lands and a Coercive Portal though . Otherwise it's the same list . And I took out Cavern and replaced them with Wastelands and Blasted Landscape ... I still think Blasted Landscape is really good.
    I think you missed the point on that build. You need extra mana to pay for the well, hence no wastelands or landscape. You need to gain life, so 4 wurmcoils with cavern.
    The spine is meant to be sacced with trading post ,netting you a card and reusing it for a soft lock.
    Staff and elixir are 1-ofs for the I win button, since you lose tempo to set up the shenanigans.

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Hi there,

I've been looking for a sideboard guide for MUD but can't seem to find one. Since many high-performing lists are starting to look very much alike, I thought it would be a good idea to look at sideboarding from that perspective. So I made a list, also to save on time during tournaments.

The current list I'm playing:
    (which I'm bringing to GP Lille btw)

//Main 60 cards:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 Wasteland

4 Grim Monolith
    4 Metalworker
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4 Lodestone Golem
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Platinum Angel
    1 Blightsteel Colossus

2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    1 Karn Liberated

1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Staff of Domination
    2 Coercive Portal

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

//Side 15 cards:
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    1 Trinisphere
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Wasteland
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Batterskull

Sideboard
    IN
    OUT

Patriot delver
    1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible, 2x Phyrexian Revoker, 1x Ratchet Bomb
    3x Grim Monolith, 1x Karn Liberated, 1x Spine of Ish Sah

Shardless BUG
    1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Ugin, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible, 2x Revoker, 1x Needle
    4x Chalice, 2x Grim Monolith, 1x Platinum Angel

Sneak & Show
    2x Revoker, 1x Needle, 3x Thorn, 1x Bridge
    2x Ugin, 2x Coercive Portal, 1x Platinum Angel, 1x Sundering Titan, 1x Trini

Storm
    1x Trinisphere, 1x Ratchet, 1x Revoker, 3x Thorn
    1x Karn, 1x Sundering Titan, 2x Coercive Portal, 2x Ugin

Elves
    1x Ratchet Bomb, 2x Revoker, 1x Batterskull, 1x Needle, 1x Bridge,1x Ugin
    2x Grim Monolith, 2x Coercive Portal, 1x Karn, 1x Sundering Titan, 1x Spine

Goblins
    2x Revoker, 1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Batterskull, 1x Ugin, 1x Crucible
    3x Trinisphere, 1x Karn, 1x Sundering, 1x Chalice

Death & Taxes
    2x Revoker, 1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Needle, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible, 1x Batterskull
    3x Trinisphere, 1x Grim Monolith, 1x Sundering Titan, 1x Platinum, 1x Karn

Dredge
    2x Tormod's Crypt, 1x Trinisphere, 1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Batterskull, 2x Revoker
    1x Karn, 2x Coercive Portal, 2x Ugin, 1x Sundering, 1x Spine

Burn
    1x Trinisphere, 2x Revoker, 1x Batterskull, 3x Thorn, 1x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Karn, 2x Ugin, 1x Karn, 1x Sundering, 1x Spine, 2x Coercive Portal

Pox
    2x Revoker, 1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Needle, 1x Batterskull, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible
    3x Trinisphere, 1x Sundering, 1x Platinum, 1x Spine, 1x Grim

Affinity
    1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Batterskull, 2x Revoker, 1x Needle
    4x Lodestone Golem, 1x Sundering

High Tide
    1x Trinisphere, 3x Thorn, 2x Revoker
    2x Ugin, 1x Spine, 1x Sundering, 2x Coercive Portal

MUD
    2x Revoker, 1x Ratchet, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible, 1x Needle, 1x Bridge, 1x Batterskull
    4x Chalice, 3x Trinisphere, 1x Sundering

Miracles
    1x Needle, 1x Batterskull, 1x Ugin, 1x Ratchet
    1x Platinum, 2x Grim, 1x Spine

Reanimator
    2x Tormod's Crypt, 2x Revoker, 1x Bridge
    2x Coercive Portal, 1x Platinum, 2x Ugin

Bant
    1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Ugin, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible, 2x Revoker, 1x Needle
    3x Trinisphere, 2x Grim, 1x Karn, 1x Platinum

Punishing Jund
    1x Crucible, 1x Wasteland, 1x Needle
    1x Platinum Angel, 1x Spine, 1x Cavern of Souls

Merfolk
    1x Batterskull, 1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Ugin, 2x Revoker
    3x Trinisphere, 1x Karn, 1x Sundering

Stoneblade
    1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible
    1x Grim Monolith, 1x Trinisphere, 1x Platinum

RUG Delver
    1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Crucible, 1x Ugin, 1x Batterskull
    2x Coercive Portal, 1x Lodestone, 1x Karn

Maverick
    2x Revoker, 1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Needle, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible, 1x Batterskull
    2x Grim Monolith, 3x Trinisphere, 1x Karn, 1x Platinum Angel

NicFit
    2x Revoker, 1x Batterskull, 1x Wasteland, 1x Ugin
    2x Grim, 1x Platinum, 1x Spine, 1x Cavern of Souls

Painter
    2x Revoker, 1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Needle, 1x Ugin, 1x Wasteland
    1x Platinum, 3x Trini, 1x Sundering, 1x Vesuva

12post
    2x Revoker, 1x Batterskull, 1x Wasteland,1x Crucible, 1x Bridge, 1x Needle
    3x Trinisphere, 1x Platinum, 1x Sundering, 2x Ugin

UR Delver
    1x Ratchet Bomb, 1x Ugin, 1x Batterskull, 1x Trinisphere, 3x Thorn
    1x Karn, 4x Lodestone, 1x Coercive, 1x Spine

Grixis Delver
    2x Revoker, 1x Trinisphere, 1x Ugin, 1x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Karn, 4x Lodestone

Grixis Control
    1x Needle, 2x Revoker, 1x Ugin, 1x Ratchet, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible
    1x Platinum, 4x Lodestone, 2x Grim

Infect
    1x Needle, 1x Ratchet, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible, 1x Trini, 2x Thorn
    2x Coercive Portal, 2x Ugin, 2x Wurmcoil, 1x Vesuva

Lands
    1x Needle, 1x Wasteland, 1x Crucible, 1x Bridge, 2x Tormod's Crypt
    3x Trinisphere, 2x Ugin, 1x Coercive Portal

Omnishow
    3x Thorn, 1x Bridge, 1x Trini
    1x Platinum, 2x Coercive Portal, 2x Ugin

I'm sorry for the long post. Any (constructive) criticism is welcome!
    Last edited by Airwave; 07-20-2015 at 04:58 AM.

Jun 2012
    Finland

Great sideboarding guide, thanks! Pithing Needle seems to missing from the sideboard though.

Nov 2006
    London

I think you missed the point on that build. You need extra mana to pay for the well, hence no wastelands or landscape. You need to gain life, so 4 wurmcoils with cavern.
    The spine is meant to be sacced with trading post ,netting you a card and reusing it for a soft lock.
    Staff and elixir are 1-ofs for the I win button, since you lose tempo to set up the shenanigans.
    How does this deck get by with only 21 lands?

The lack of Ugin/Karn is also interesting...

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Avez View Post
    Great sideboarding guide, thanks! Pithing Needle seems to missing from the sideboard though.
    Thanks, Pithing Needle replaces Spine of Ish Sah in the sideboard, forgot to change that!

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post

I'm sorry for the long post. Any (constructive) criticism is welcome!
    Great idea, ser. I will be playing MUD aswell during the GP. Wanna meet up there with other MUD players?

I have scanned the boarding strategies and have a few comments. I'll be trying to be positive and constructive.

you have some matchups where you put in Crucible + Wasteland nr 4 but take out a number of Trinispheres. I would say that this is a weird move since with Trinesphere you can often lock them out of the game. Like Shardless, POX (yes POX plays loam, but it can still lock them out/slows them), Bant (cleanup basics with Sunderig Titan) and Stoneblade.

Also against Sneak you don't bring in Spine nr 2 and take out Platinum Angel?

Batterskull against Elves?

What are the Revokers for against Dredge? LED on the play? Does that happen often enough? And why you take out Ugin vs Dredge? It sweeps the board of zombies and big Golgari Grave-Troll. Also it provides a wincon when the board is stalled under a Trinisphere and blockers from both sides.

Last, but not least. Boarding out Forgemaster package can be great against RUG- and UWR Delver to dodge Stifle. They basicly got a dead card on which they count iot prevent getting zapped by Colossus. MUD has a very solid midgame vs those decks and playing it controllish forces them into Midgame. Ugin is also very strong here.
    4c Aggro Loam

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Great idea, ser. I will be playing MUD aswell during the GP. Wanna meet up there with other MUD players?

I have scanned the boarding strategies and have a few comments. I'll be trying to be positive and constructive.

you have some matchups where you put in Crucible + Wasteland nr 4 but take out a number of Trinispheres. I would say that this is a weird move since with Trinesphere you can often lock them out of the game. Like Shardless, POX (yes POX plays loam, but it can still lock them out/slows them), Bant (cleanup basics with Sunderig Titan) and Stoneblade.

Also against Sneak you don't bring in Spine nr 2 and take out Platinum Angel?

Batterskull against Elves?

What are the Revokers for against Dredge? LED on the play? Does that happen often enough? And why you take out Ugin vs Dredge? It sweeps the board of zombies and big Golgari Grave-Troll. Also it provides a wincon when the board is stalled under a Trinisphere and blockers from both sides.

Last, but not least. Boarding out Forgemaster package can be great against RUG- and UWR Delver to dodge Stifle. They basicly got a dead card on which they count iot prevent getting zapped by Colossus. MUD has a very solid midgame vs those decks and playing it controllish forces them into Midgame. Ugin is also very strong here.
    Seems like a good idea. Thanks for the comments, I'll make changes.

Some remarks:

- Crucible+Wasteland package can be offensive to break the opponent (+Trini) or defensive. In the latter case Trini can be hurting myself as well and I don't want it to backfire. Pox has Smallpox, Sinkhole and a full set of Wastelands. Yes of course I can lock him, but the opposite can be true as well. I don't like to take that risk. Same goes for Bant with Reliq, it can be very dangerous, especially after mulling. Shardless has a lot of 3+ cards already so I guess Trini doesn't hurt them that much. Against Stoneblade I should keep it in, I'll change that for a Grim monolith.

- There is no Spine in the sideboard, it should have been Pithing Needle (my bad). Otherwise I would have put it in for sure. I took out Platinum Angel because it seems useless. Emrakul will eat it alive.
    - Batterskull against Elves isn't the best, but it's a decent beater at least. What else to put in? Keep one more Grim monolith in? I'm not sure.
    - Revoker can stay in the sideboard against Dredge, you're right. I'll keep the two Ugin's in.

I'm going to test the Delver matchups without Forgemaster package, maybe it's better indeed.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    Seems like a good idea. Thanks for the comments, I'll make changes.

Some remarks:

- Crucible+Wasteland package can be offensive to break the opponent (+Trini) or defensive. In the latter case Trini can be hurting myself as well and I don't want it to backfire. Pox has Smallpox, Sinkhole and a full set of Wastelands. Yes of course I can lock him, but the opposite can be true as well. I don't like to take that risk. Same goes for Bant with Reliq, it can be very dangerous, especially after mulling. Shardless has a lot of 3+ cards already so I guess Trini doesn't hurt them that much. Against Stoneblade I should keep it in, I'll change that for a Grim monolith.

- There is no Spine in the sideboard, it should have been Pithing Needle (my bad). Otherwise I would have put it in for sure. I took out Platinum Angel because it seems useless. Emrakul will eat it alive.
    - Batterskull against Elves isn't the best, but it's a decent beater at least. What else to put in? Keep one more Grim monolith in? I'm not sure.
    - Revoker can stay in the sideboard against Dredge, you're right. I'll keep the two Ugin's in.

I'm going to test the Delver matchups without Forgemaster package, maybe it's better indeed.
    Id' like to add that trinisphere is useful against shardless because of fow and the opponent would have to pay 3 for the cascade.
    Usually S&S players won't cast show and tell on g2-3 because we also have game ending permanents, so Spine gets less useful.
    Elves can combo faster than us, so it's always useful to have ratchet bombs, silent arbiter and bridge to hold while we try to combo.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    How does this deck get by with only 21 lands?

The lack of Ugin/Karn is also interesting...
    I didn't brew this deck, but I tested it a bit. The main thing is getting some cloudposts online, specially with vesuva. The lifegain works as timewalks so you can set your board. I had a match against BUG where I got about 38 life from lands (cloudpost, cloudpost, glimmerpost, glimmerpost, vesuva copying glimmerpost, etc) Sure, you will suffer if the opponent landlock you in the first turns, but you can still combo off city/tomb + into monolith into metalworker with greaves or elixir on the field. Overall I didn't few the need for extra lands, except against Lands, as there is no pithing needle on the SB.
    SB also have a few tricks. If you managed to do some gy shenanigans on G1, you can side in helm of obedience to use the opponent's leyline or RIP for a win. Contagion Engine is also fun with chalice and ratchet bomb, specially against elves.
    I didn't manage to use canonist effectively, as you need to copy a white mana or use cavern, so I sided in against Esper and miracles (they have to choose wisely what to counter).

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Id' like to add that trinisphere is useful against shardless because of fow and the opponent would have to pay 3 for the cascade.
    Usually S&S players won't cast show and tell on g2-3 because we also have game ending permanents, so Spine gets less useful.
    Elves can combo faster than us, so it's always useful to have ratchet bombs, silent arbiter and bridge to hold while we try to combo.
    You're right, forgot about the cascade. Thanks.

Trinisphere should stay in I guess, probably instead of Chalices/Grim Monoliths.
    Agree on Elves btw, think I've got that covered as far as possible in this setup.

On another note: I'm expecting a lot of Miracles, Omnishow and Grixis at Lille.

I played in MTGO Fight Club , ... you can win store credit!
    free Legacy tournament on Gatherling.com in MTGO.
    I went 4-0 with this list, beating Elves , Miracles, and a Cloudpost deck

Wasteland is a house . I think it won me the game against Miracles . Coercive Portal also curves very nicely with the deck (you don't need to waste a Monolith activation to cast it) . The biggest under performing card is always Spine but I keep it in the list in case I want to nuke a Batterskull with it and it's in my hand . I wish there were a better alternative. I used to slot a Triskelion instead which nukes planeswalkers. I kind of want to keep playing Triskelion because it's funky. but it doens't hit Batterskull.

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Blasted Landscape
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    2 Coercive Portal
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    1 Lightning Greaves
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Sundering Titan
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Vesuva
    4 Wasteland
    3 Wurmcoil Engine

Sideboard
    1 Contagion Engine
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Dodecapod
    2 Duplicant
    1 Omen Machine
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Witchbane Orb

I played in MTGO Fight Club , ... you can win store credit!
    free Legacy tournament on Gatherling.com in MTGO.
    I went 4-0 with this list, beating Elves , Miracles, and a Cloudpost deck

Wasteland is a house . I think it won me the game against Miracles . Coercive Portal also curves very nicely with the deck (you don't need to waste a Monolith activation to cast it) . The biggest under performing card is always Spine but I keep it in the list in case I want to nuke a Batterskull with it and it's in my hand . I wish there were a better alternative. I used to slot a Triskelion instead which nukes planeswalkers. I kind of want to keep playing Triskelion because it's funky. but it doens't hit Batterskull.

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Blasted Landscape
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    2 Coercive Portal
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    1 Lightning Greaves
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Sundering Titan
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Vesuva
    4 Wasteland
    3 Wurmcoil Engine

Sideboard
    1 Contagion Engine
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Dodecapod
    2 Duplicant
    1 Omen Machine
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Witchbane Orb
    Doesn't the main deck spine of ish sah get over redundant with the steel hellkite and the 2 ugins? Also, how do you lil the omen machine sideboard? And what do you bring it in against?

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkX9 View Post
    Doesn't the main deck spine of ish sah get over redundant with the steel hellkite and the 2 ugins?

The biggest under performing card is always Spine but I keep it in the list in case I want to nuke a Batterskull with it and it's in my hand . I wish there were a better alternative. I used to slot a Triskelion instead which nukes planeswalkers. I kind of want to keep playing Triskelion because it's funky. but it doens't hit Batterskull.
    Spine of Ish Sah (out of Forgmaster) has kept me from losing more then once. Last time i was able to take out a summening sickness Mangara of Corondor before it got to untap (he also had Karakas tapped to cast it obviously). I agree that Spine is not a card i want to be running, but happens pretty often that it provides an out that can be fetched by Forgemaster. Where Steel Hellkite is to conditional and Ugin (Karn) is to random. Triskilion might be an alternative, but would have been better in a Welder list. And even there it is not standard.
    Last edited by Bobmans; 07-02-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    4c Aggro Loam

Thread Information