Page 2 of 239 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 4770

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

  1. #21

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Hey, i don't see a thread for the MUD metalworker STAX deck that i took 3rd with at the Star city games fort worth event in early march, so i figured i would post it here. I literally was wrecking people all day long with it, no one had any idea what the hell was going on as they sacked, tapped, and got locked out of casting any spells, all day long. People were literally just scooping on turn 1 and 2 non-stop as the writing on the wall was that clear, that early. Give it a whirl tell me what you think. Here's a link to the list:

    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=44652

    For the record i couldn't find the other two thoughtsiezes for the sideboard so don't ask, and to be honest i barely even boarded all day, doesn't matter what they are doing when they have no permanents or are locked under a trinisphere....

    I am thinking of adding 1-2 copies of The Abyss into the main, but if not then most likely in the board.

    questions/comments? let me know what you think
    p.s. you can go read coverage if you want, but an fyi, i punted game 2 of the semifinals, after winning game one, with a missed attack step early on with 2 metalworkers, he managed to recover and pull out at 2 life.... and then he barely managed to squeak out game 3 as well... i really felt i should have gone to the finals (and won) but it happens i suppose...

  2. #22
    Member
    gamer4life's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Location

    schenectady
    Posts

    10

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    I tryed your list,it seemed very draw dependent. I also had problems against B/W control sounds wierd i know but i did. Im not saying your list is bad,i think maybe i just haven't tested it enough. If you could do a small report that would be AWESOME.

  3. #23

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    two things:

    1. Yes is goes into top deck mode after a turn or two so knowing whats a keep and what isn't is very important (there are some "trap" hands) and i know it feels a little clunky and draw dependent, but after playing it long enough i don't feel that's the case

    2. yes i will do a little write up on it, give me the weekend and ill post it by sunday hopefully.

    oh, and the trickiest part of playing with the deck is simply knowing how to play city of traitors correctly...

    i'll post a write up of my opinions, strategies, thoughts, blah blah blah in the next few days, until then let me know what you think.

  4. #24
    Thinking about Magic...
    kingtk3's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2011
    Location

    Italy
    Posts

    590

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    @ Carson,
    I've been toying with a list similar yours:

    4 city of traitors
    4 ancient tomb
    3 crystal vein
    4 rishadan port
    4 wasteland
    1 dust bowl
    1 mishra's factory

    4 grim monolith
    4 thran dynamo
    3 metalworker

    4 chalice of the void
    3 trinisphere
    2 crucible of worlds
    2 phyrexian metamorph

    4 phyrexian revoker
    4 lodestone golem
    4 wurmcoil engine
    3 steel hellkite
    2 karn liberated

    The main problem I found was in developing pressure after the initial disruption, and seeing your list I'm thinking of replacing
    the revokers with smokestacks: do you think smokestack would fare well without tangle wire?

  5. #25

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    two things:

    1. Yes is goes into top deck mode after a turn or two so knowing whats a keep and what isn't is very important (there are some "trap" hands) and i know it feels a little clunky and draw dependent, but after playing it long enough i don't feel that's the case

    2. yes i will do a little write up on it, give me the weekend and ill post it by sunday hopefully.

    oh, and the trickiest part of playing with the deck is simply knowing how to play city of traitors correctly...

    i'll post a write up of my opinions, strategies, thoughts, blah blah blah in the next few days, until then let me know what you think.

    Nice work on the deck and the finish. It's always good to see Stax do well. Did you ever miss something like Goblin Welder? In other words, why black not red? Playing stax with an active Welder is like cheating.

    How about the 2 Crucible? Was it difficult to support 4 Smokestack with just the two?

    Looking forward to your write-up. Thanks in advance!

  6. #26
    Member
    joemauer's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2011
    Location

    Louisiana
    Posts

    685

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ages View Post
    Nice work on the deck and the finish. It's always good to see Stax do well. Did you ever miss something like Goblin Welder? In other words, why black not red? Playing stax with an active Welder is like cheating.
    Goblin Welder isn't very happy when he shows up to the party and sees that Chalice of the Void on one was already invited.

  7. #27

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    Goblin Welder isn't very happy when he shows up to the party and sees that Chalice of the Void on one was already invited.
    I don't think that's a very good reason not to play Welder.

  8. #28

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    /
    Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    Goblin Welder isn't very happy when he shows up to the party and sees that Chalice of the Void on one was already invited.
    I admit, my deck loves to give me CMC 1 off the top as soon as I drop the Chalice at 1, but with Smokestack you can still manage your own permanents.

    Turn one Chalice at 1 is better than turn one Welder. If my hand gives me early chalice and welder, I'll save welder for later. Especially if I'm playing smokestacks that I can use to remove Chalice once the coast is clear. Like after Trinisphere hits.

    I'm most curious about any color in general. Does mono-brown gain enough consistency to avoid any color?

    Here's my current build:

    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Great Furnace
    2 Ghost Quarter

    4 Metalworker
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    3 Forgemaster
    3 Lightning Greaves
    3 Powder Keg
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Staff of Domination
    1 BSC
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Smokestack
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Mox Opal

  9. #29

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    need more time to post a write up, work is killin me. gimme a few more days ill put a real write up out.
    real quick though, the welder(great furnace), monobrown(rishadon port), vs. black for board(vault of whispers) has been an area of debate for me for quite some time. currently i just wanted to have sideboard answers to wierd things so the vaults and diamonds allowed for thoughtseizes in board. Ports may have been better because i literally sideboarded in the thoughtseizes like once or twice all day... so who knows, still thinking ... and the welders, well that changes everything.... I also am thinking of The Abyss, and its application in a deck like this as smokestack #5 and possibly #6... another reason i leaned towards black.

    Love that this thread was made recently, and i'll be posting here often, time allowing. Look for a write up over the next week on my take of the metalworker stax deck that i took 3rd with, and the upcoming changes. peace and love

  10. #30

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Hey.
    How would u guyes tune the welder version in a meta filled with maverick decks?
    This match is far from easy - wasteland/stp/qasali/ooze

  11. #31
    Member

    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Location

    France
    Posts

    7

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Hey, first excuse my bad english.

    So, here is my decklist

    20 Lands : (thinking about -2 mountain +2 buried ruins)

    2 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Great Furnace
    6 Mountain

    21 creature

    2 Razormane Masticore
    3 Steel Hellkite
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Wurmcoil Engine

    4 Metalworker
    4 Goblin Welder

    Mana artifacts :

    2 Lotus Petal
    2 Mox Opal
    2 Voltaic Key
    3 Grim Monolith

    Good stuff :

    3 Lightning Greaves
    3 Blood Moon
    4 Faithless Looting

    Sideboard :

    SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Platinum Emperion
    SB: 3 Witchbane Orb
    SB: 4 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 4 Chalice of the Void


    I played stax decks / staxlike for long time but i was just bored by hoping every time for a good draw or good starting hand (when i wasn't missing a kill).

    I tryed some Forgemaster decklists but i really disliked the few Stifle times i had.

    The only thing i really miss is COTV on MD but i really cant play them if i want to hold on welder + faithless.

    For the choices, i play 2 Razormane on MD because of the aggro meta, looks fun for the moment. I tryed first with 2 Emperions, ok he's big but he just do nothing special when u really need something.

    For the lands, i was thinking about removing 2 mountains to get 2 Buried ruins or 2 Wasteland. (especially against maze of ith's Mavericks)

    Tryed only against some mav.decks and zoo.decks, was fun for me but have to try more.

  12. #32

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    @Maverick - I'm not 100% sure, but Chalice at 1 and Lightning Greaves have been key cards. They don't have Force of Will, so it is often a race of sorts. Depending on how you build the deck, you can either lock them out or combo out before they can win. With Chalice@1 or Greaves in play you've blanked a lot of there interaction.

    @all - How would you play this hand? Game one against Combo (TES, Storm or something similar, lets say you didn't get a good read while scouting). You open with this on the play:

    City of TraitorsX2
    Ancient Tomb
    Great Furnace
    Wasteland
    Chalice of the Void
    Crucible of Worlds

    Whether this is keepable or not I guess depends on the build of each deck, but what I'm wondering is, if you keep, do you start with Chalice at 1 or 0? With the prospect of waste-lock pretty soon, if you hit the right CMC, this should be a pretty easy win, right?

  13. #33
    Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    (nameless one)'s Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2009
    Location

    GTA, Ontario
    Posts

    2,920

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ages View Post
    @Maverick - I'm not 100% sure, but Chalice at 1 and Lightning Greaves have been key cards. They don't have Force of Will, so it is often a race of sorts. Depending on how you build the deck, you can either lock them out or combo out before they can win. With Chalice@1 or Greaves in play you've blanked a lot of there interaction.

    @all - How would you play this hand? Game one against Combo (TES, Storm or something similar, lets say you didn't get a good read while scouting). You open with this on the play:

    City of TraitorsX2
    Ancient Tomb
    Great Furnace
    Wasteland
    Chalice of the Void
    Crucible of Worlds

    Whether this is keepable or not I guess depends on the build of each deck, but what I'm wondering is, if you keep, do you start with Chalice at 1 or 0? With the prospect of waste-lock pretty soon, if you hit the right CMC, this should be a pretty easy win, right?
    Against Maverick, if you're running the Stompy Version, Cursed Totem also shines. It will only affect Metalworker on our side of the field but the deck should run enough ramp.

    As for that hand against combo, I'd keep hoping you'd draw a threat within the next two turns.

    I'd drop Chalice at 1 as cantrips will be relevant. They will try to find an answer or combo ASAP.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

  14. #34
    Member
    movingtonewao's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Location

    Singapore, Singapore City
    Posts

    305

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Love that this thread was made recently, and i'll be posting here often, time allowing. Look for a write up over the next week on my take of the metalworker stax deck that i took 3rd with, and the upcoming changes. peace and love
    I'll be looking out for this. This archetype deserves so much more love than it is getting. It is absurdly good in the current meta with all the fairdecks.

  15. #35
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2009
    Location

    minnesota
    Posts

    38

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    I have just recently picked this deck up in the last two weeks after deciding on a deck list that I thought was powerful and flexible. The current build I have with the deck has gone 11-1 in matches over my last three tournaments. Wins were posted against RUG Delver, Esper Stone Blade x2, Dredge x2, UW stoneblade, NicFit x2, Maverick, Rock Junk, Pox, and my one loss was to Dredge.

    I'll post my list then discuss some choices.

    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Great Furnace
    6 Mountain

    2 Mox Opal
    2 Lotus Petal
    4 Grim Monolith

    2 Voltaic Key
    2 Lightning Greaves

    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Metalworker

    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Wurmcoil Engine
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2 Steel Hellkite
    1 Blightsteel
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Myr Battlesphere
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Staff of domination
    1 batterskull
    1 sdt

    3 faithless looting

    SB

    4 Chalice of the void
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Faerie Mcabre
    2 Firespout
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Spine of ish Sah
    1 Platinum Emperion

    So first off... Faithless Looting is so insane in this deck. It enables so many busted second turn plays. I think three is the right number, because we do get to cast it twice. But if you are not playing this with welder, you are doing it wrong.

    Lodestone has to be a four of. I have won a lot of games off of two early lodestones just because they never hit their third or fourth land drop in time.

    Blood moon out of the board is just bonkers. I totally could justify running this in the maindeck, but I feel like game one I just want to cheat out a big guy as fast as I can. About half of my matches I end up bringing in blood moon, maybe more than half. That card just steals games.

    I haven't played against any storm combo, I can imagine it being the toughest matchup for this deck, however, playing this deck I never feel like I am beat until the game is over. This deck topdecks extremely well. A very high percentage is going to be a bomb that can take over the game even if I am slightly behind. Making sure I keep extra land or useless accelerators in my hand so that when I do find a faithless looting, I have one or two useless cards to bin in the graveyard.

    Phyrexian Metamorph is also just insane in this deck. Metamorphing anything in the deck is a solid play. I have even gone first turn Ancient Tomb> Grim Monolith> Metalworker > go Second turn reveal 5 artifacts make 10 mana> cast metal worker and lightning greaves>make 6 mana > mox opal > blightsteel>tap tomb> metamorph blightsteel. I know this is an extreme example, but metamorph does this on turn two or three with wurmcoil and hellkite and golem as often as I draw it. It may be worth going up to two slots.

    This deck just feels so powerful right now. Anyone else have any input on card selection or fresh ideas? I just wanted to share my experience with the deck, and I am having an absolute blast playing this beast.

  16. #36
    Runs on caffeine
    ACME_Myst's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2006
    Posts

    167

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Hey guys, whatsup?

    So, I'm seriously considering getting back into Legacy after a 4 year break from Magic. Having always loved and often played Stax and it's various derivatives, I feel like it would be a really cool deck to pick up to get back into the game. Truth be told, budget concerns are not the least of my reasons, but having never played with Metalworker and Grim Monolith in this format, I'd like to see how that plays out.
    Anyway, not really having a team to seriously playtest with anymore, I'm turning to The Source to get some feedback on the list I'm working on.

    My current draft of the maindeck:

    // Lands (22)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Great Furnace
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Mountain

    // Engine(s) (11)
    4 Metalworker
    4 Goblin Welder
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster

    // Moar mana (7)
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Crucible of Worlds

    // Beats (8)
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Steel Hellkite

    // Bombs (2)
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Mindslaver

    // Support/misc (10)
    4 Tangle Wire
    3 Lightning Greaves
    3 Faithless Looting

    Some notes on the design philosophy I used:

    - 22 lands is about 4-6 more than I've seen in most other lists. My reasoning was that
    a) In my (limited) experience, (Worker) MUD has a highly volatile manabase. Which is to say, it's super explosive, but equally fragile. Because I don't want to scoop to opposing Wasteland + counter on Metalworker, a more stable manabase seems really good.
    b) I hate forced mulligans because of manascrew. Contrariwise, it appears hard to be flooded in a deck with such high CMC cards.
    c) Half of your lands blow themselves up or get eaten by Welder and/or Forgemaster, and finally..

    - .. neither Mox Opal nor Lotus Petal seems to really work for me. Opal is not proper acceleration, as it's virtually impossible to be metalcraft on turn 1 or 2, where it seems most useful. Petal is, obviously, but it's neither a persistent manasource nor really a target for Welder and Forgemaster.

    - 3 Crucible seems really good, both to stabilize the manabase further and to do nasty trick with Welders and Wastelands.

    - I'm running 4 Hellkite and have cut Wurmcoil Engine entirely. The reasoning here is that
    a) I'm severely lacking in board control, and this should remedy that somewhat.
    b) Because I'm trying to win by turning big dudes sideways, evasion seems really good.
    c) More board control synergizes better with my Tangle Wires and LD.
    d) Minor point, but it's Firebreath acts like a useful manasink.
    e) The above points outweigh both the increased synergy between Wurmcoil and Welder/Forgemaster, and the Wurm's lifelink ability.

    - 4 Tangle Wire synergize with the overall LD plan, are insane with an active Welder, and just generally provide Time Walks all around.

    - Only 2 bombs/dedicated Forgemaster targets, mostly to keep the amount of dead draws to a minimum. Of the two, Sundering Titan provides LD and a great body, while Mindslaver provides Time Walks at worst, an alternative wincondition at best, and is generally backbreaking against both combo and control.

    Some random musings:
    - I would love to find room for Chalice, Phyrexian Metamorph, Grim Poppet, Spine of Ish Sah, Batterskull and tbh also Wurmcoils, but the list feels really tight as is.
    - I'm very much opposed to running 2-offs of anything in a deck with as little library manipulation as this, which seems to be in contrast to a lot of other builds I'm seeing. I'm wondering if nobody else has a problem with this?
    - [I'm being ninja'd by JadeOberg as I'm typing] Blood Moon seems really good in a deck like this, but I feel might be better off in a more Stax-like build.
    - Staff of Domination seems really win-more. If you have an active Metalworker and Kuldotha to find the Staff, along with three artifacts in hand, you should be winning anyway. I see no reason to run potentially dead, conditional cards.
    - Blightsteel Colossus also seems really win-more, as he's a bitch to hardcast, the poison doesn't work very well with the deck's main route to victory which is damage dealing, and again, active Kuldotha (+ Greaves) should let you win with less conditional cards.
    - Myr Battlesphere hasn't been as insane as I thought he was, but again this is from very limited testing.
    - Overall, I feel the deck would improve in both consistency and stability by moving away from utility-oriented combo-esque builds, towards a more tempo-oriented aggro-control style version.

    So, again, most of this is just theorizing as I've been out of the game for some time and am severely lacking in good playtest partners. Advice would be really welcome, especially with regard to specific matchups that I may have greatly weakened with this build. From what I can see, this is going to at least die horribly to Sneak Attack/Hivemind, but I feel most of the other DtB's aren't as bad, at least.


    TL;DR: I'm trying to make this deck slightly less explosive, in return for increased consistency and stability. Thoughts?

  17. #37

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by ACME_Myst View Post
    Hey guys, whatsup?

    So, I'm seriously considering getting back into Legacy after a 4 year break from Magic. Having always loved and often played Stax and it's various derivatives, I feel like it would be a really cool deck to pick up to get back into the game. Truth be told, budget concerns are not the least of my reasons, but having never played with Metalworker and Grim Monolith in this format, I'd like to see how that plays out.
    Anyway, not really having a team to seriously playtest with anymore, I'm turning to The Source to get some feedback on the list I'm working on.

    My current draft of the maindeck:

    // Lands (22)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Great Furnace
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Mountain

    // Engine(s) (11)
    4 Metalworker
    4 Goblin Welder
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster

    // Moar mana (7)
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Crucible of Worlds

    // Beats (8)
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Steel Hellkite

    // Bombs (2)
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Mindslaver

    // Support/misc (10)
    4 Tangle Wire
    3 Lightning Greaves
    3 Faithless Looting

    Some notes on the design philosophy I used:

    - 22 lands is about 4-6 more than I've seen in most other lists. My reasoning was that
    a) In my (limited) experience, (Worker) MUD has a highly volatile manabase. Which is to say, it's super explosive, but equally fragile. Because I don't want to scoop to opposing Wasteland + counter on Metalworker, a more stable manabase seems really good.
    b) I hate forced mulligans because of manascrew. Contrariwise, it appears hard to be flooded in a deck with such high CMC cards.
    c) Half of your lands blow themselves up or get eaten by Welder and/or Forgemaster, and finally..

    - .. neither Mox Opal nor Lotus Petal seems to really work for me. Opal is not proper acceleration, as it's virtually impossible to be metalcraft on turn 1 or 2, where it seems most useful. Petal is, obviously, but it's neither a persistent manasource nor really a target for Welder and Forgemaster.

    - 3 Crucible seems really good, both to stabilize the manabase further and to do nasty trick with Welders and Wastelands.

    - I'm running 4 Hellkite and have cut Wurmcoil Engine entirely. The reasoning here is that
    a) I'm severely lacking in board control, and this should remedy that somewhat.
    b) Because I'm trying to win by turning big dudes sideways, evasion seems really good.
    c) More board control synergizes better with my Tangle Wires and LD.
    d) Minor point, but it's Firebreath acts like a useful manasink.
    e) The above points outweigh both the increased synergy between Wurmcoil and Welder/Forgemaster, and the Wurm's lifelink ability.

    - 4 Tangle Wire synergize with the overall LD plan, are insane with an active Welder, and just generally provide Time Walks all around.

    - Only 2 bombs/dedicated Forgemaster targets, mostly to keep the amount of dead draws to a minimum. Of the two, Sundering Titan provides LD and a great body, while Mindslaver provides Time Walks at worst, an alternative wincondition at best, and is generally backbreaking against both combo and control.

    Some random musings:
    - I would love to find room for Chalice, Phyrexian Metamorph, Grim Poppet, Spine of Ish Sah, Batterskull and tbh also Wurmcoils, but the list feels really tight as is.
    - I'm very much opposed to running 2-offs of anything in a deck with as little library manipulation as this, which seems to be in contrast to a lot of other builds I'm seeing. I'm wondering if nobody else has a problem with this?
    - [I'm being ninja'd by JadeOberg as I'm typing] Blood Moon seems really good in a deck like this, but I feel might be better off in a more Stax-like build.
    - Staff of Domination seems really win-more. If you have an active Metalworker and Kuldotha to find the Staff, along with three artifacts in hand, you should be winning anyway. I see no reason to run potentially dead, conditional cards.
    - Blightsteel Colossus also seems really win-more, as he's a bitch to hardcast, the poison doesn't work very well with the deck's main route to victory which is damage dealing, and again, active Kuldotha (+ Greaves) should let you win with less conditional cards.
    - Myr Battlesphere hasn't been as insane as I thought he was, but again this is from very limited testing.
    - Overall, I feel the deck would improve in both consistency and stability by moving away from utility-oriented combo-esque builds, towards a more tempo-oriented aggro-control style version.

    So, again, most of this is just theorizing as I've been out of the game for some time and am severely lacking in good playtest partners. Advice would be really welcome, especially with regard to specific matchups that I may have greatly weakened with this build. From what I can see, this is going to at least die horribly to Sneak Attack/Hivemind, but I feel most of the other DtB's aren't as bad, at least.


    TL;DR: I'm trying to make this deck slightly less explosive, in return for increased consistency and stability. Thoughts?
    List looks good. I think that you need wurmcoil engine in there. Maybe a 2/2 split with steel hellkite or even swaping all 4 for wurmcoil. The lifelink if often just what you need to stay in the game long enough to either look the oponent of finifh him. It also allows to use the ancient tombs with less remorses.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

  18. #38
    Runs on caffeine
    ACME_Myst's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2006
    Posts

    167

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by mordraid View Post
    List looks good. I think that you need wurmcoil engine in there. Maybe a 2/2 split with steel hellkite or even swaping all 4 for wurmcoil. The lifelink if often just what you need to stay in the game long enough to either look the oponent of finifh him. It also allows to use the ancient tombs with less remorses.
    Thanks, and yeah I understand the reasoning. It's just that if either is better, I'd probably want to run it as a 4-off, or possibly a 3/1 split. However, Kuldotha into either one doesn't really sound that good, sort of negating the singleton as a utility card. Running 4 Wurmcoil would leave me without any sweepers/removal. Again, 2/2 splits without library manipulation are bound to give you the wrong card when you need one of them, and hardly ever seem optimal.

    How about a 3/1 split between Hellkite and Batterskull, respectively? The latter seems like a better stabilizer than Wurmcoil due to it's Vigilance, and is just brutal if you can tag it onto one of your other beatsticks.

  19. #39

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Currently playing this=).
    4 tomb
    4 city of traitors
    4 wasteland
    4 great furnace
    2 mountain
    2 mox diamond
    2 mox opal

    4 metalworker
    4 goblin welder
    4 lodestone golem
    4 kuldotha forgemaster
    4 wurmcoil engine
    1 sundering titan
    1 blightsteel colossus

    4 grim monolith
    2 lightning graves
    2 cruciable of worlds
    2 voltaic key
    1 spine of ish sah
    1 staff of domination

    3 faithless looting
    -----------------------------
    4 chalice of the void
    2 pithing needle
    2 ratchet bomb
    2 spellskite
    3 tormod's crypt
    1 trinisphere
    1 witchbane orb
    ==============================

    Any thoughts?
    Myself i dont realy like spine md, im siding it out in like...80% games.Its a nice card and gives u outs to unexpectable threats g1, but i still think its more of a side material.
    Im not sure about staff of domination as well.It lets u to do a funny combo, but u gota have metal worker for it+staff(just 1 in deck)+3 artifacts in hand.And often metal worker just gets killed.So, imo, this staff can be replaced with some real threat or utility card(dublicant/metamorph/platinum angel(imperion)/myr battlesphere/blood moon).
    About cruciable/wastelands.This deck is too mana hungry.Most time i just dont dare to use wasteland besides using it as a mana source.Im thinking about switching this pack to 2 darksteel citadel+2 utility lands+2 blood moons.And changing 2 mox diamond to 2xlotus petal.

  20. #40
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2009
    Location

    minnesota
    Posts

    38

    Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kellyx View Post
    Currently playing this=).
    4 tomb
    4 city of traitors
    4 wasteland
    4 great furnace
    2 mountain
    2 mox diamond
    2 mox opal

    4 metalworker
    4 goblin welder
    4 lodestone golem
    4 kuldotha forgemaster
    4 wurmcoil engine
    1 sundering titan
    1 blightsteel colossus

    4 grim monolith
    2 lightning graves
    2 cruciable of worlds
    2 voltaic key
    1 spine of ish sah
    1 staff of domination

    3 faithless looting
    -----------------------------
    4 chalice of the void
    2 pithing needle
    2 ratchet bomb
    2 spellskite
    3 tormod's crypt
    1 trinisphere
    1 witchbane orb
    ==============================

    Any thoughts?
    Myself i dont realy like spine md, im siding it out in like...80% games.Its a nice card and gives u outs to unexpectable threats g1, but i still think its more of a side material.
    Im not sure about staff of domination as well.It lets u to do a funny combo, but u gota have metal worker for it+staff(just 1 in deck)+3 artifacts in hand.And often metal worker just gets killed.So, imo, this staff can be replaced with some real threat or utility card(dublicant/metamorph/platinum angel(imperion)/myr battlesphere/blood moon).
    About cruciable/wastelands.This deck is too mana hungry.Most time i just dont dare to use wasteland besides using it as a mana source.Im thinking about switching this pack to 2 darksteel citadel+2 utility lands+2 blood moons.And changing 2 mox diamond to 2xlotus petal.
    I felt the same way about Spine and quickly moved that to the board. Havent brought it in once, thinking I will take it out of the 75
    I'm also feeling the same way about staff. The only time I've had it in play was to Weld it into the graveyard. I think another Hellkite or lightning Greaves.

    I definitely agree about the wasteland/crucible as well and cannot see the value in running them in this deck. Mox Diamond is not as good as Petal as well if you are dropping the land count.

    Seems like we are coming to similar conclusions

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)