Page 210 of 243 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

61 cards is fine, I wouldn't worry about cutting a card.
    "The enemy is getting too close! Quick! Inflate the toad!"

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by bobomb View Post
    I retooled my MUD deck into a Construct-tribal control deck...

It faired well against Grixis delver in brief testing. Not sure what to cut to get it back to 60 though.
    [/CARDS]
    Cool list, Bobomb! Looks like a nice midpoint between Stax and traditional MUD lists.

I don't see much reason you shouldn't run Lodestone in the main. Feels like it could easily replace Scrap Trawler without throwing off the curve, and it'd still provide a strong lock piece. Other than Cavern there isn't any actual Construct synergy, is there?

*Edit: to get to 60, maybe cut a Bridge? You've got 3 Forgemasters and 2 Inventors' Fair (that can be re-used through Crucible) to tutor it up. That said I've never played that style list; maybe Bridge is too important to cut. If so, I'd say Grieves is probably your next best cut. I love me some Grieves, but it's not essential.*

Jun 2012
    NY

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Cool list, Bobomb! Looks like a nice midpoint between Stax and traditional MUD lists.

I don't see much reason you shouldn't run Lodestone in the main. Feels like it could easily replace Scrap Trawler without throwing off the curve, and it'd still provide a strong lock piece. Other than Cavern there isn't any actual Construct synergy, is there?

*Edit: to get to 60, maybe cut a Bridge? You've got 3 Forgemasters and 2 Inventors' Fair (that can be re-used through Crucible) to tutor it up. That said I've never played that style list; maybe Bridge is too important to cut. If so, I'd say Grieves is probably your next best cut. I love me some Grieves, but it's not essential.*
    Thanks for the feedback!

No there is no actual construct synergy other than Cavern.

The thought process with Scrap Trawler is that it recurs spent artifacts. With Scrap Trawler on the board a faded out Tangle Wire will recur a Walking Ballista or Chalice back to hand. Also the synergy with sacrificing artifacts to Forgemaster is relevant. I put Lodestone in the board, along with Trinisphere because I felt they are both better suited vs combo. Right now my maindeck is set to fight against fair decks.

Bridge is probably too important to cut (I'm considering a 4th), since the idea is that no one does any attacking and I'm just shooting with Ballista. I'll look into cutting Greaves. I used to run 3x, so it's hard to let go :)

I played a really grindy game vs BUG Midrange last night and it made me realize how much I missed Ugin, the Spirit Dragon. I was staring down both Jace and Lilianna, and desperately heaving Ballista shots at them, but it was too much to handle. And eventually Lilianna did her ultimate.

I'm currently testing -1 Inventors' Fair +1 Buried Ruin, and it was relevant in the grindy game above, recurring a ensnaring bridge that was abrupt decayed.

Any chance of mirage mirror play in MUD?
    He can copy post, metalworker or monolith for mana, lodestone in opponent turn or any big threat in battlefield.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

Quote Originally Posted by procobrito View Post
    Any chance of mirage mirror play in MUD?
    He can copy post, metalworker or monolith for mana, lodestone in opponent turn or any big threat in battlefield.
    I think Phyrexian Metamorph is strictly better, same mana cost (2 life isn't a big deal the vast majority of the time), also Metamorph doesn't end at the end of the turn or continually cost mana to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    I think Phyrexian Metamorph is strictly better, same mana cost (2 life isn't a big deal the vast majority of the time), also Metamorph doesn't end at the end of the turn or continually cost mana to use.
    Mirrage mirror is better against Show and Tell though...

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    Mirrage mirror is better against Show and Tell though...
    So is Spine of Ish Sah
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    But the fact of mirage mirror can be a different thing each turn is a good thing. One turn you can copy your worker for mana, cast Wurmcoil Engine, in your next turn mirage mirror is another Wurmcoil Engine. Or you could use Forgemaster to bring Blightsteel Colossus and for only two mana you can copy it and attack in the same turn with your mirage mirror in the battlefield.

I've been playing the MUD Metalworker list with 4 Walking Ballista on MTGO in Leagues and have been doing pretty well with it.

Spoiler Alert: Walking Ballista is very good in this deck and in general.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    I've been playing the MUD Metalworker list with 4 Walking Ballista on MTGO in Leagues and have been doing pretty well with it.

Spoiler Alert: Walking Ballista is very good in this deck and in general.
    Interesting! I tried Ballista for a few weeks when it first came out and didn't like it, but I recently put 3 back in the deck to try (have been playing Maverick so I haven't done said testing yet). My hesitation is that Ballista seems mediocre against anything bigger than an X/1, but maybe that's not true in practice.

MGB: did you find you were playing Ballista at all points in the game, or was it mostly a late-game bomb that takes over the board?

Feb 2015
    Brazil

I like to keep at least 1 ballista for the infinite mana kill. I'm using 2 MD, because it's only a dead card against S&S.
    I'm hyped to test Mirage Mirror, the more I think about the interactions, the better it looks.
    It can pseudo haste your creatures, say you have a mirror in play, cast a metalworker/kuldotha/coil and copy it. It keeps S&S and lands in check. It can copy a goyf to block (oppponent have liliana and one goyf, he can't attack).
    More niche plays would be generate mana if you have more than 2 cloudposts in play or net you 1 extra life for 1 mana as a glimmerpost. Copy a leovold in response to brainstorm. Copy a Batterskull(no token, but you can equip to gain life) or swords.
    The only time it is useless is if you don't have mana and both you and the opponent have an empty board, in that case, there is nothing to worry anyway.

Interesting! I tried Ballista for a few weeks when it first came out and didn't like it, but I recently put 3 back in the deck to try (have been playing Maverick so I haven't done said testing yet). My hesitation is that Ballista seems mediocre against anything bigger than an X/1, but maybe that's not true in practice.

MGB: did you find you were playing Ballista at all points in the game, or was it mostly a late-game bomb that takes over the board?
    It's good in all stages.

early on you can cast it as a 1/1 for 2 mana and it kills an early unflipped delver, or a pyromancer... or it just functions as a sac target for Forgemaster...

you can play it later as a 3/3 with ping ability, or pump it, dump mana into it... turn it into a real threat with "reach" and you don't care about spot removal on it.

and of course if you have to finish the opponent off, late game you can just cast it for lots of mana and dome them for like 5+ damage in one shot.

And of course being a "construct" means that Cavern of Souls naming "Construct" becomes even better in this deck, so you definitely play 4 Cavern of Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflame View Post
    I like to keep at least 1 ballista for the infinite mana kill. I'm using 2 MD, because it's only a dead card against S&S.
    I'm hyped to test Mirage Mirror, the more I think about the interactions, the better it looks.
    It can pseudo haste your creatures, say you have a mirror in play, cast a metalworker/kuldotha/coil and copy it. It keeps S&S and lands in check. It can copy a goyf to block (oppponent have liliana and one goyf, he can't attack).
    More niche plays would be generate mana if you have more than 2 cloudposts in play or net you 1 extra life for 1 mana as a glimmerpost. Copy a leovold in response to brainstorm. Copy a Batterskull(no token, but you can equip to gain life) or swords.
    The only time it is useless is if you don't have mana and both you and the opponent have an empty board, in that case, there is nothing to worry anyway.
    psyched to hear how your mirage mirror testing is going, got a list already?

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudent View Post
    psyched to hear how your mirage mirror testing is going, got a list already?
    Only tested 3 games so far, won all of them. 2-0 against bug midrange, 2-1 grixis delver, 2-0 eldrazi.
    Notable uses where: used the mirror to copy a monolith and net 1 mana to cast Ugin against BUG. Copied a mimic then cast wurmcoil (but that game was already at my favor or I'd copy the coil straight away).

List:
    24 Lands
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Inventor's Fair
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Vesuva
    1 Karakas

4 Lodestone
    4 Metalworker
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Mirage Mirror
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Walking Ballista
    1 Staff of Domination
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Spine
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Emperion
    1 Blightsteel
    1 Ugin

SB:
    1 Karn
    1 Endbringer
    1 Hellkite
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Faerie Macabre
    2 Warping Wail
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 All is Dust
    1 Contagion Engine
    Last edited by Silverflame; 07-20-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Cool list, Silverflame! Happy to hear the Mirror is working out.

#

As I've complained about ad nauseum, my local meta has been pretty heavily fair/BGx/midrange for a while now. I've found that Metalworker MUD has struggled in that environment, but rather than put the deck down or continuing to bang my head against the wall, I want to try out some alternative builds that might be better in this meta. After looking at the Metalwork Colossus and Big Eldrazi lists, I landed on this as a starting point:

4 TKS
    4 Lodestone
    4 Batterskull
    3 Wurmcoil
    3 Ugin

4 Chalice
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Portal
    4 Monolith
    4 Dynamo

4 Wasteland
    4 Tomb
    4 City
    1 Crystal Vein
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    2 Inventors' Fair

(Haven't drawn up a sideboard yet.)

The theory is to cut out the combo fluff like Greaves, Staff of Domination, etc. Essentially, I want the deck to be just high-impact cards and mana, kind of like Stompy (or, as a friend pointed out, very much like Modern Eldrazi Tron). TKS and Lodestone are great baseline threats, while Batterskull, Wurmcoil, Ugin, and Portal are all pretty scary for fair decks.

Haven't gotten to try it out yet, as I missed Legacy this week and won't be able to go next week, either. Still, I'll let you guys know if the list is anything decent.
    Last edited by Stuart; 07-21-2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: pointless addendum

[...]
    As I've complained about ad nauseum, my local meta has been pretty heavily fair/BGx/midrange for a while now. I've found that Metalworker MUD has struggled in that environment, but rather than put the deck down or continuing to bang my head against the wall, I want to try out some alternative builds that might be better in this meta. After looking at the Metalwork Colossus and Big Eldrazi lists, I landed on this as a starting point:

[...]

The theory is to cut out the combo fluff like Greaves, Staff of Domination, etc. Essentially, I want the deck to be just high-impact cards and mana, kind of like Stompy (or, as a friend pointed out, very much like Modern Eldrazi Tron). TKS and Lodestone are great baseline threats, while Batterskull, Wurmcoil, Ugin, and Portal are all pretty scary for fair decks.

Haven't gotten to try it out yet, as I missed Legacy this week and won't be able to go next week, either. Still, I'll let you guys know if the list is anything decent.
    Nice to see someone else to trying MUD without Metalworker. I've been pretty happy with this MUD/(Stax) Hybrid. I tried Batterskull as well, but i was never really impressed. Smokestack can be replaced with some numbers of Steel Hellkite, Sundering Titan or Ugin, the spirit Dragon. But I made good experience to limit the top curve at CMC 6. I was also testing Icy Manipulator instead of the Ensnaring Bridges in the Sideboard, both to answer Show and Tell and Marit Lage stuff...

Mainboard:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    1 Inventors' Fair
    4 Wasteland
    3 Mishra's Factory

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Mox Diamond
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Coercive Portal
    4 Lodestone Golem
    3 Smokestack
    4 Wurmcoil Engine

Sideboard:
    2 Zuran Orb
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Trinisphere
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    Last edited by P210; 07-22-2017 at 02:43 AM.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Cool list, Silverflame! Happy to hear the Mirror is working out.

#

list...
    Thanks, I gonna try to playtest heavily this weekend, haven't got much time to do it properly yet. I got 5 more games, lost 2, one to Grixis delver 0-2 and one to Goblins 1-2.

Maybe your list could be improved by adding Endbringer MD or SB, it is good against S&T because it halt fatties and BG/delver as you can ping creatures/walkers.
    Last edited by Silverflame; 07-30-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

4 TKS
    4 Lodestone
    4 Batterskull
    3 Wurmcoil
    3 Ugin

4 Chalice
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Portal
    4 Monolith
    4 Dynamo

4 Wasteland
    4 Tomb
    4 City
    1 Crystal Vein
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    2 Inventors' Fair
    I got to test this list last night, so quick update for those of you who might have been interested in it: I don't recommend it. Basically, the deck felt like worse/slower Eldrazi. It didn't have any of the explosiveness or flexibility you get from Metalworker and Forgemaster, and was a little too clumped up at the 4-6 mana mark. I basically found myself constantly in situations where only Wurmcoil or Ugin could bail me out, but I didn't have any way of getting them. (For the record, I lost to Dredge, Merfolk, White Eldrazi, and crushed the bye).

It's that time of year again. That's right GenCon! I've been playing MUD for around 3 years. Took about 6 months off from it because I picked Legacy Merfolk but I'm giving MUD a go at a few of the Legacy events at Gencon
    Here is my current list, untested but it should be fine.

24 lands
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Vesuva
    1 Inventor's Fair
    1 Karakas

Creatures 19
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Metalworker
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Sundering Titan
    4 Lodestone Golem
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    1 Platinum Emperion
    2 Walking Ballista

Other artifacts 17
    4 chalice of the void
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Mirage Mirror
    1 Staff of Domination
    1 Staff of Nin
    4 Grim Monolith
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Spine of Ish Sah

Like I said I have yet to play it but it's pretty close to my previous build. My sideboard is goons be similar to this depending on what pre game scouting reveals

1 Spine of Ish sah
    2 End bringer
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    1 Karn, Liberated
    4 Warping Wail
    2 Titans presence
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Lightning Greaves
    2 Tormond's Crypt
    Let me know what you guys think. I'm going to get some games in probably on the 14th when I'm off of second shift. (Swing shift is a b**ch)

Thread Information