Page 4 of 243 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

I have a really in depth post coming up.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

I just wanted to post a quick tournament report for a SCG Super Qualifier I attend over the weekend in Fenton Michigan. There were 68 players which make it the biggest legacy event for the state in years. I ended up going 4-0-3 but I was fairly happy with how the deck played.

Land-
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Wasteland
    4x Darksteel Citadel
    2x Great Furnace
    1x Mountain
    2x Ghost Quarter

Artifact Mana-
    4x Grim Monolith
    3x Mox Opal
    1x Mox Diamond

Artifacts-
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Lightning Grieves
    2x Crucible of Worlds

Artifact Creatures-
    4x Metalworker
    4x Loadstone Golem
    4x Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4x Wormcoil Engine
    1x Blightsteel Colossus
    1x Platinum Angel
    1x Steel Hellkite
    1x Sundering Titan
    1x Platinum Emperion
    1x Phyrexian Metamorph

Sideboard
    1x Chaos Warp
    4x Tormond's Crypt
    3x Trinisphere
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Cursed Totem

Card Choices:
    Having only one colored spell I was able to get away with having only three color producing lands. I prefer Steel Citadels due to being wasteland proof and able to achieve metal craft. The two Ghost Quarters were a great addition helping me win two or three matches damaging the opponents fragile mana base. The single Mountain was Path of Exile defense along with utility to path my own City of Traitors if needed. I was really happy with this mana base, it was a lot less fragile then running fewer lands and provided good utility.
    No matter what build I always run three Lightning Grieves. I think it sets up more big turn 2 plays and acts as much needed protection. I have also won a lot of games out right from Grieves + Platinum Angel. People take a turn to think they scoop because they have no main deck answers. SE Michigan meta also runs a lot of control and Grieves helps keeps your biggies on the table and not in the land of exile. Crucibles worked great with the 6 wasteland effects. I was able to run two player out of mana.
    People laugh at my main deck platinums but they are so win. Main deck they can help you win matches you would normally lose pre-sideboard, they can insta-win if the opponent has no answer. They can buy you time to get back on your feet. Angel flies over moat and Emperion is great beats/blocker.
    The newest edition to the deck was the four cursed totems in the sideboard. This deck does so bad against Maverick. My one Maverick match they never came up.

Match 1-
    Sneaky Show

I win the die roll and swing with a Wurmcoil on turn two. Traitors, Tomb, Diamond and Grim Monolith cast Wurmcoil + Grieves. Pass the turn then he drops Sneak Attack then swings with a Blightsteel Colossus. Loss
    Game two I had a pretty good hand and I think I chalice for one. Then prepare to drop Loadstone on turn two. I pass the turn and he Show & Tells in a Emrakul. Loss

Match 2-
    Enchantress

I drop an early Blightsteel which get stopped by Runed Halo. I followup with Emperion which allows me to go crazy with my Ancient Tombs. I drop chalice for 1 and a loadstone. He drops a moat but is severally slowed down. Finally I draw Steel Hellkite and clear his board. Win
    Game two I chalice for 1 on my turn. He is never able to keep up with my drops. Win

Match 3-
    High Tide

An early chalice for 1 and a set of loadstones make it too hard for him to combo off. Win
    Game 2 he repeals a chalice and echoing truths a set of loadstones. Goes off. Loss
    Game 3 I drop a chalice for 1 followed by a Trinsphere and the was all she wrote.

Match 4-
    Sneaky Show

Game one I open with chalice for 1 followed by loadstones. He played so few cards I barely could tell what he was playing. Win
    Game two I opened with trinisphere shortly followed with Crucible of Worlds and Ghost Quarter. I ran him out of land slowly playing threats. Win

Match 5-
    Maverick

Lose the die roll but drop first turn chalice for 1 then follow that up with going nuts with metalworker and dropping my hand. Win
    Game 2 I board in the Cursed Totems, Revokers, and Chaos Warp. I mulligan down to 5 and have to play a crap hand. I hang in the game for some time. The player is borrowing the deck and decided to play at the land moment. He keeps me off any mana and I am dead in the water. Loss
    Game 3 I drop a early wurmcoil that gets o-ringed, chaos warp the o-ring giving him a stoneforge and batterskull. Drop a second wurmcoil. One gets swords and he top decks another o-ring. Not my day. Loss

Match 6-
    Burn

Played against a new legacy player and he didn't fully understand the hurt of chalice and loadstone against burn. Quickly Locked him out with chalice and loadstones.
    Game 2 was kinda fun, I though he was stalling but he didn't understand that Lightning Grieves made Platinum Angle untargetable. I had a huge set up of chalices, trinisphere but he was protected by a fully leveled Figure of Destiny my Hellkite couldn't get past. After at least 10 turns I hard cast Blightsteel and win. I asked him why he stayed in the game and he said he had one ancient grudge. Win

Match 7-
    Snapcaster Controll

Game one he wins the die roll. I have to mul to 5 and have nothing but mana. He ends up casting snapcaster just to swing with. I finally get some momentum and nothing can get though his wall of counters. I get beat by 3 swing snapcasters. Loss
    Game 2 I set up Crucible and Ghost Quarter running him out of mana. He stays alive with with three Swords to Plowshares and a Disenchant during this process until he has nothing left. Win
    Game 3 I am again met with a wall of counters until he sets up his own Crucible and Wasteland shutting me out of the game. Loss

Afterthoughts:
    I am really happy with this beatdown build. The slightly increased mana and robots really made the deck more reliable in current meta.
    I am going to try switching up 4 Tormond's Crypt to 4 Surgical Extraction. It will do it's job delaying reanimator & dredge while working against weak mana bases, bounce spells, combo, and most importantly targeted removal such as swords to plowshares. I am really looking forward to testing this with Cavern of Souls.

Jul 2011
    schenectady

Zac Hiks-Congrats on your top 16.

I like the Culling Scalls idea. How where they for you?

Culling Scales was pretty insane on the day. At first, they were dead cause I never faced anything worth siding them in. The I faced Glimpse-Affinity and 1 Cullig Scales ended up killing every creature he cast. It was also crucial in my last round vs. Maverick. Killed a Noble Hierarch, Mother of Runes, and a Scavenger Ooze to protect myself before drawing into metalworker + staff combo.

I lost 2 matches on the day. Round 1 vs. Hive Mind (Pretty much nothing I can do, outside of landing t1 Trinisphere...) and Round 6 vs. Storm...I jsut rew 0 hate cards vs him.

Went 4-0 last night at my LGS in a 23 man, this is after going 1-2 drop and 2-2 previously. I am fully convinced that Chalice of the Void should be main deck right now, at least game 1. Its to good vs RUG, Burn, and Storm, plus so much else. So All I did was pre-sideboard it into my list, and side out faithless looting and welder(better against control)

anyway here is my list I think it could use a few more threats, but I am happy with its ability to land a turn one piece of disruption.

[cards] 4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    1 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Mountain
    1 Crystal Vein

4 Metalworker
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Copper Gnomes
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Lightning Greeves
    4 Lodestone Golem
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Steel Hellkite
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Trinishpere
    4 Tanglewire
    4 Chalice of the Void

SB
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 tormod's crypt
    1 Blood Moon
    2 pyroclasm
    4 goblin welder
    3 faithless looting
    1 duplicant [cards/]

Comments?

I split for 4th recently with the midrange version of this deck. I wrote a little tournament report and I was wondering if this was the right thread to leave it? Here's the report in either case:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ames-Elmira-NY

Congratz to your finish Zirath.I have a couple of questions for you.
    Any reason that u are using 3 metalworkers and not 4?
    In what match ups u are sding in sundering titans?
    No gy hate vs reanimator or dredge?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePatriarch View Post
    Congratz to your finish Zirath.I have a couple of questions for you.
    Any reason that u are using 3 metalworkers and not 4?
    In what match ups u are sding in sundering titans?
    No gy hate vs reanimator or dredge?
    1) Two reasons. The first is that Metalworker is a glass cannon creature which is dangerous. I make up for this by playing Thran Dynamo. Second is Cursed Totem. Cursed Totem allows me to attack decks like Maverick, Bant and DnT and punish the fact that they board way to deal with Metalworker specifically. I have asked many people if they know that I boarded out Metalwoker and they are very surprised.

2) Sundering Titan comes in to replace Emperion in match ups like Esper, NLT or Zoo to screw up their mana. It also punishes them for boarding in removal to deal with my robots. Against most of these decks, Emperion is easily removed by cards like Jace, Ancient Grudge or Swords + Path; Sundering Titan punishes those cards.

3) Reanimator and Dredge are excellent match ups. Graveyard hate has never been necessary. The stax and the fact that my monsters are gigantic gives me a lot of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirath View Post
    I split for 4th recently with the midrange version of this deck. I wrote a little tournament report and I was wondering if this was the right thread to leave it? Here's the report in either case:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ames-Elmira-NY
    Thanks for posting this. After a dissappointing 2-3 Drop at the last Jupiter Games, I was beginning to doubt the deck, but more likely it is the pilot.

While I can admit to a handful of misplays, I felt like I stuggled the most with drawing off the top. Either too much mana or threats I couldn't cast. Do you miss not having something like Sensei's Divining Top, or Faithless Looting?

I do like the balance of your build, that may be the difference. I imagine it was very consistent.

Congrats again.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I have been testing this list. So far, I have no definitive results but what I can tell its fun to pilot:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    2 Ghost Quarter
    2 Great Furnace
    2 Mountain

4 Goblin Welder
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    3 Steel Hellkite
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph

4 Grim Monolith
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Scroll Rack
    3 Tangle Wire
    2 Lightning Greaves
    2 Mox Opal

4 Reforge the Soul

I have completely removed Spine of Ish Sah and Sundering Titan for now from my pre-AVR list since I have also removed Forgemasters. I have added Steel Hellkites in place as a means to control the board. Scroll Rack + Reforge the Soul was added in place of Sensei's Divining Top and Faithless Looting (although I miss FLooting's explosiveness with Welder in the early turn).

I actually want to add Chalice of the Void in the main but I am by sure if I should run Welder (+ Cavern of Souls) with it. CotV negates the drawback of Reforge the Soul of having the opponent to draw 7 cards.

The problem with it the redevelopment of the mana-base.

Has anyone tried testing a list with Reforge the Soul?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Do we really need to run things like SDT or scroll rack for this miracle wheel to be good? 5 mana isn't so hard to reach in this deck...

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanqc View Post
    Do we really need to run things like SDT or scroll rack for this miracle wheel to be good? 5 mana isn't so hard to reach in this deck...
    I ran SDT anyways before pre-AVR (refer to my list on the second post of this thread). It helps the consistency of the deck in some ways and has that little synergy with Faithless Looting and in some ways Ghost Quarter and Forgemaster.

When Reforge the Soul first got spoiled, I have completely removed Forgemasters from that said list for them. While reaching five mana isnt that hard, I noticed two things:

- Once you Reforge the Soul for five, you will have minimal to no mana source after it.
    - Double red is a mission to achieve.

I have then replaced SDT with Scroll Rack and completely rid of Faithless Looting to accommodate a full-set of Reforge the Soul. Scroll Rack helps in a way that when you have Reforge the Soul in your opening hand, its not as hard to cast. It also helps in situations where you get hands that do not have lands when you require lands.

With the removal of SDT and Faithless Looting, I think the next step is to incorporate Chalice of the Void in the main (and if Welder needs to be abused, Cavern of Souls might be needed).

As of now, I am back to square one when it comes to testing. It doesn't help that I am busy with work among other things.

I have missed this:

Quote Originally Posted by dillonkbase View Post
    Went 4-0 last night at my LGS in a 23 man, this is after going 1-2 drop and 2-2 previously. I am fully convinced that Chalice of the Void should be main deck right now, at least game 1. Its to good vs RUG, Burn, and Storm, plus so much else. So All I did was pre-sideboard it into my list, and side out faithless looting and welder(better against control)

anyway here is my list I think it could use a few more threats, but I am happy with its ability to land a turn one piece of disruption.

4 Wasteland
    1 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Mountain
    1 Crystal Vein

4 Metalworker
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Copper Gnomes
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Lightning Greeves
    4 Lodestone Golem
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Steel Hellkite
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Trinishpere
    4 Tanglewire
    4 Chalice of the Void

SB
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 tormod's crypt
    1 Blood Moon
    2 pyroclasm
    4 goblin welder
    3 faithless looting
    1 duplicant [cards/]

Comments?
    I personally do not like Copper Gnomes. I tested it before. Its good in a way that for 6 mana, you can cheat a Blightsteel Colossus on the field at your opponent's turn. But outside of that, its essentially a Metalworker. Also, for 6 mana, why waste a card slot when you can just drop your Wurmcoil/Steel Hellkite/Lodestone Golem.

I would up the Forgemaster to four if your going to run that single Blightsteel Colossus. Possibly up the Crucibles to two (especially if you're running Mox Diamonds)

Also, I do not like running both Trinisphere and Tangle Wire on the main at the same time. They do the same thing in a different way: slow the opponent down. Unlike CotV at one which stops a lot of spells, 3sphere will only make those spells cost more. Tangle Wire is more for decks that can resolve early threats. I would also like to mention that tapping a 3sphere for a Tangle Wire isn't going to help you.
    Last edited by (nameless one); 04-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I ran SDT anyways before pre-AVR (refer to my list on the second post of this thread). It helps the consistency of the deck in some ways and has that little synergy with Faithless Looting and in some ways Ghost Quarter and Forgemaster.

When Reforge the Soul first got spoiled, I have completely removed Forgemasters from that said list for them. While reaching five mana isnt that hard, I noticed two things:

- Once you Reforge the Soul for five, you will have minimal to no mana source after it.
    - Double red is a mission to achieve.

I have then replaced SDT with Scroll Rack and completely rid of Faithless Looting to accommodate a full-set of Reforge the Soul. Scroll Rack helps in a way that when you have Reforge the Soul in your opening hand, its not as hard to cast. It also helps in situations where you get hands that do not have lands when you require lands.

With the removal of SDT and Faithless Looting, I think the next step is to incorporate Chalice of the Void in the main (and if Welder needs to be abused, Cavern of Souls might be needed).

As of now, I am back to square one when it comes to testing. It doesn't help that I am busy with work among other things.

I have missed this:

QUOTE=dillonkbase;638192]Went 4-0 last night at my LGS in a 23 man, this is after going 1-2 drop and 2-2 previously. I am fully convinced that Chalice of the Void should be main deck right now, at least game 1. Its to good vs RUG, Burn, and Storm, plus so much else. So All I did was pre-sideboard it into my list, and side out faithless looting and welder(better against control)

4 Wasteland
    1 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Mountain
    1 Crystal Vein

4 Metalworker
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Copper Gnomes
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    3 Mox Diamond
    2 Lightning Greeves
    4 Lodestone Golem
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Steel Hellkite
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Trinishpere
    4 Tanglewire
    4 Chalice of the Void

SB
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 tormod's crypt
    1 Blood Moon
    2 pyroclasm
    4 goblin welder
    3 faithless looting
    1 duplicant [cards/]

Comments?
    I personally do not like Copper Gnomes. I tested it before. Its good in a way that for 6 mana, you can cheat a Blightsteel Colossus on the field at your opponent's turn. But outside of that, its essentially a Metalworker. Also, for 6 mana, why waste a card slot when you can just drop your Wurmcoil/Steel Hellkite/Lodestone Golem.

I would up the Forgemaster to four if your going to run that single Blightsteel Colossus. Possibly up the Crucibles to two (especially if you're running Mox Diamonds)

Also, I do not like running both Trinisphere and Tangle Wire on the main at the same time. They do the same thing in a different way: slow the opponent down. Unlike CotV at one which stops a lot of spells, 3sphere will only make those spells cost more. Tangle Wire is more for decks that can resolve early threats. I would also like to mention that tapping a 3sphere for a Tangle Wire isn't going to help you.
    The reason I like copper gnomes is that is that it gives me a threat to play turn one, it makes tempo easier to have. Turn one gnome eats many of counters that otherwise would hit your metalworker or whatever. As for running both 3sphere and tangle wire, I am also not sold on that, and have been considering some number of sphere of resistance (over 3sphere). Sphere of resistance offers another turn one piece of disruption, which is why I am playing so many pieces of disruption and extra land.
    Last edited by dillonkbase; 05-01-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwilkins View Post
    [...]
    Match 3-

High Tide

An early chalice for 1 and a set of loadstones make it too hard for him to combo off. Win
    Game 2 he repeals a chalice and echoing truths a set of loadstones. Goes off. Loss
    Game 3 I drop a chalice for 1 followed by a Trinsphere and the was all she wrote.
    [...]
    Game 2: Chalice of the Void (set @ 1) cannot be Repealed, because it counters Repeal with X=0...I guess you had two charge counters on it on Game 2.
    - Where are the *dragons* in this list?
    - I am the dragon in this list.

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

I'm still editing and piecing together my big post, but I was curious if anyone thought of running Forgemaster, but not running any big targets in the main? Treat it sort of like Dread Return in dredge, and keep two targets in the board, in this case it would probably be Blightsteel Collosus, and maybe Emperion or Sundering Titan? I think it warrants an approach.
    -Steve
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Quote Originally Posted by noobslayer View Post
    I'm still editing and piecing together my big post, but I was curious if anyone thought of running Forgemaster, but not running any big targets in the main? Treat it sort of like Dread Return in dredge, and keep two targets in the board, in this case it would probably be Blightsteel Collosus, and maybe Emperion or Sundering Titan? I think it warrants an approach.
    I have thought about that, and although I have been tempted, I think at least one big target should be run, either one blightsteel or one sundering titan because these cards can end games almost immediately. The hardest question is which one do you choose, the one that is backbreaking even if it is hit by removal(as long as they have lands to hit) or the one hit wonder (vulnerable to swords). Answering the question prior to a game is the hardest, its why people play both. Playing one of these creatures to tutor up is a 1/60 risk I am willing to take.

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

I have thought about that, and although I have been tempted, I think at least one big target should be run, either one blightsteel or one sundering titan because these cards can end games almost immediately. The hardest question is which one do you choose, the one that is backbreaking even if it is hit by removal(as long as they have lands to hit) or the one hit wonder (vulnerable to swords). Answering the question prior to a game is the hardest, its why people play both. Playing one of these creatures to tutor up is a 1/60 risk I am willing to take.
    I thought that argument would come up pretty quick. The ability to instantly tutor a Wurmcoil, Hellkite, or Emperion game one seems kind of boss. Then game two you get specific answers. I myself personally also run a Batterskull in the main so it's also great to that end.

And I think your point about which target you would want to run in the main is exactly the reason you might want to consider keeping those options in the board. Dredge still Dread Returns a GGT, we can Forgemaster into consistent targets.

I also think having a target at five helps smooth out the curve. I have also opted to cut Moxen, and in testing this is re-shaping some of my card choices. So my list is still in development right now, and the thoughts about Forgemaster have me brainstorming in a bunch of different directions at the moment.
    -Steve

I guess I would say sacing 3 artifacts to get a wurmcoil that eats a STP seems like a big risk versus getting a titan that at least takes out some land... the caveat is that if you have chalice of the void maindeck I think the "finishers" are less important chalice into lodestone or wurmcoil is almost always a victory.

I would also point out that the mana to cast any of these artifacts gets relativity easy to find if you land a metalworker and that if you are playing looting and welder titan becomes easier to get onto the battlefield.

Finally I would say what we are doing turn one to survive until our late game is way more important than our late game itself. I actually think what the deck is really lacking is a better 2 drop than steel golem or ravager, chalice of the void is excellent, but quality turn one plays are somewhat lacking.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by noobslayer View Post

My pre-AVR build follows this principle. See the second post of this thread. I run Sundering Titan and Spine of Ish Sah as my main targets.

I guess I would say sacing 3 artifacts to get a wurmcoil that eats a STP seems like a big risk versus getting a titan that at least takes out some land... the caveat is that if you have chalice of the void maindeck I think the "finishers" are less important chalice into lodestone or wurmcoil is almost always a victory.
    When I Forgemaster for something, STitan is always my first choice unless otherwise. Worse case scenario he gets remove and destroys 2+ lands with him.

Finally I would say what we are doing turn one to survive until our late game is way more important than our late game itself. I actually think what the deck is really lacking is a better 2 drop than steel golem or ravager, chalice of the void is excellent, but quality turn one plays are somewhat lacking.
    In my pre-AVR build, I consider the following as quality turn 1 plays:

Goblin Welder - it will be a protection and threat in the same package.

Faithless Looting - fixes your hand.

SDT - fixes your draw.

Metalworker - I run Lotus Petals so it's not impossible. And if left unmolested, you are in great position on the following turn.

Grim Monolith - a turn 2 Forgemaster/Wurmcoil Engine/whatever threat you can throw down is never bad.

Other options:

Spellskite - a 0/4 wall that can protect your pieces? Why not (though with the mentioned list, the slots are already tight.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

My pre-AVR build follows this principle. See the second post of this thread. I run Sundering Titan and Spine of Ish Sah as my main targets.

When I Forgemaster for something, STitan is always my first choice unless otherwise. Worse case scenario he gets remove and destroys 2+ lands with him.
    Agreed on titan, spine is only good MD if running a welder package imho.

In my pre-AVR build, I consider the following as quality turn 1 plays:

Goblin Welder - it will be a protection and threat in the same package.

Faithless Looting - fixes your hand.
    Turn one plays involving red mana generally mean no turn two lodestone, and one drops in general exclude Chalice of the Void. Chalice blanks no less than 10 cards in every deck turn one.

______Delver____________BUG Control______________Maverick _____________ Esper stoneblade

SDT - fixes your draw.
    Metalworker - I run Lotus Petals so it's not impossible. And if left unmolested, you are in great position on the following turn.
    Grim Monolith - a turn 2 Forgemaster/Wurmcoil Engine/whatever threat you can throw down is never bad.

Other options:

Spellskite - a 0/4 wall that can protect your pieces? Why not (though with the mentioned list, the slots are already tight.
    My problem with playing these turn one is that they don't do anything right then. SDT does to little in a deck with only 4 shuffle effects. Metalworker dies to cards that cost less resources to cast and if you are playing it turn one you undoubtedly have dropped the artifacts that make it a powerhouse in your hand onto the battlefield. Monolith turn one is fine although it sets you up for a two for one when they counter your threat. Spellskite is just worse than chalice at doing the same thing.

I almost always love to see them pitch spells and work desperately to counter my turn one chalice, it tells you if they have a force(if you are on the play), or daze, pierce, or snare(if you are playing second). If it resolves you are safe from swords and bolts on your metalworker/ lodestone and if it doesn't they may have just used all their resources to counter that and you can follow up with a metalworker/forgemaster/lodestone.

Thread Information