Page 51 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I did a small update with the opening post. However, I haven't updated my "personal list".

Feel free to criticize
    Not a criticism, but a small addendum. For Batterskull, I'd also add that it's very good against StP, which our other big threats tend to be soft against.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Noted.

Also, I will be adding a section on how to beat popular decks.

I'll do it when I get home. Editing a post that massive is a pain and a half on an iPhone.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Played (and lost) to RUG again in a tournament last night. Game 2, I could have won, but I lost due to my own mistake, so that one's mine.

However, I got to thinking again - while Karn and All Is Dust are powerful, we simply very rarely get the mana to cast them.

I am thinking that even though Revokers are pretty bad against RUG, we may have to keep them in just as low drop blockers we can play to stay alive. Even if they chump block a big Tarmogoyf for a turn, if it buys us time to drop a Batterskull or Wurmcoil, we may need it.

Trying out 2x Ratchet Bombs this weekend in my sideboard in the two flexible slots I have. Still looking for a 2-3 mana artifact that hoses RUG... still haven't found it yet though :(

I was considering Culling Scales, but then I saw the interaction with Nimble Mongoose and went

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Karn is ok against those decks, but I actually don't like him as much against the more aggressive GWx decks since they tend to run Thalia, so you're really double taxing casting him between Thalia and Lodestone. All Is Dust is actually better, imo, since it just completely sweeps their board for the same cost as Karn.

Honestly, against the more aggro decks, my game plan is usually to just crush them with Wurmcoils & Batterskulls. Ideally, you get out a Chalice @ 1 as well to protect your Wurmcoils from StP (this is where Batterskull really shines compared to Wurmcoil).
    I agree that karn is too slow when you have double or even triple tax on him.
    However I see a problem with the cards you have mentioned because they all are shut down by Gaddock, Wurmcoil apart. Ratchet bomb instead comes down fast even with Thalia on board, dodges Gaddock and it's good versus token decks too.

However I think that Karn liberated is one of the best, if not the best, card to play on an empty board, the problem is find how to wipe.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    I agree that karn is too slow when you have double or even triple tax on him.
    However I see a problem with the cards you have mentioned because they all are shut down by Gaddock, Wurmcoil apart. Ratchet bomb instead comes down fast even with Thalia on board, dodges Gaddock and it's good versus token decks too.

However I think that Karn liberated is one of the best, if not the best, card to play on an empty board, the problem is find how to wipe.
    Yeah, Gaddock Teeg can be a pain if he gets out before you get any of your big stuff online. However, as you mentioned, Wurmcoils still get down through him, as do Lodestone Golems. Steel Hellkites (for the lists that play them) are also very good against those GWx Aggro decks.

I'm thinking about putting this deck together to try it out. Has anyone tried a mostly colorless list with mox opals and seat of the synod for thirst for knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by [SLAYER]chaos View Post
    I'm thinking about putting this deck together to try it out. Has anyone tried a mostly colorless list with mox opals and seat of the synod for thirst for knowledge?
    In my opinion splashing red for faithless looting is better, because of the goblin welder interaction. (helps get things out on turn 2/sets up the wurmcoil loop, etc). Plus, faithless has flashback.

If there were other good blue spells, it might be worth it, but thirst is really the only one.

This is an example of what I'm thinking of (blood moon just wins the game against certain decks, so the extra red splash lets you run that):

Cleveland Rhoades
    5th Place at StarCityGames.com Legacy Open on 4/7/2013

Creatures (20)
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    1 Steel Hellkite
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Goblin Welder

Planeswalkers (1)
    1 Karn Liberated

Lands (20)
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Great Furnace
    2 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors

Spells (19)
    4 Grim Monolith
    2 Lightning Greaves
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Staff Of Domination
    1 Staff of Nin
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Voltaic Key
    2 Mox Opal
    3 Faithless Looting

Sideboard
    2 Chalice of the Void
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Witchbane Orb
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Platinum Emperion
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Karn Liberated
    1 All Is Dust

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by [SLAYER]chaos View Post
    Not really. Faerie Stompy is more along the blue vein (and you can run very artifact heavy builds of it as well). MUD really tries to stay as colorless as possible most of the time.

Not really. MUD really tries to stay as colorless as possible most of the time.
    Oh yea totally bra, except for 95% of all the MUD decks that placed in large/significant tournaments

Played (and lost) to RUG again in a tournament last night. Game 2, I could have won, but I lost due to my own mistake, so that one's mine.

However, I got to thinking again - while Karn and All Is Dust are powerful, we simply very rarely get the mana to cast them.

I am thinking that even though Revokers are pretty bad against RUG, we may have to keep them in just as low drop blockers we can play to stay alive. Even if they chump block a big Tarmogoyf for a turn, if it buys us time to drop a Batterskull or Wurmcoil, we may need it.

Trying out 2x Ratchet Bombs this weekend in my sideboard in the two flexible slots I have. Still looking for a 2-3 mana artifact that hoses RUG... still haven't found it yet though :(

I was considering Culling Scales, but then I saw the interaction with Nimble Mongoose and went
    I tried Culling Scales too. Terrible card. Kills your own Chalice, Grim Monolith, Voltaic Key, Lightning Greaves... Just awful. I use Ratchet Bomb and it's pretty good. I side in that and Trinisphere and side out expensive things like Karn. Although sometimes you randomly catch them with All is Dust. Resolve Wurmcoil Engine and you win automatically pretty much. Resolve most threats and you win actually. Chalice wrecks them of course. I usually play out all mana stuff like Thran Dynamo, etc to blank their soft counters. Then just drop threats till one sticks.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

It's not really a 2-3 CC artifact, but against RUG I found razormane masticore to be quite a beating, and it fits the curve of a stompy build pretty nice ;)

It's not really a 2-3 CC artifact, but against RUG I found razormane masticore to be quite a beating, and it fits the curve of a stompy build pretty nice ;)
    Makes you discard a card every turn, its ability does not kill Tarmogoyf or Nimble Mongoose (although it obviously stops goose on the ground), is outclassed by Steel Hellkite and Wurmcoil Engine for 1 more mana... I dunno man. That seems sketchy to me.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I've been taking a break from MUD recently, but Ratchet Bomb has been the card I'm looking to test in the board next to assist in the RUG matchup as well as help to deal with problematic enchantment/artifacts (I'm looking at you, Ensnaring Bridge!)

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by th3 w1z4rd View Post
    Makes you discard a card every turn, its ability does not kill Tarmogoyf or Nimble Mongoose (although it obviously stops goose on the ground), is outclassed by Steel Hellkite and Wurmcoil Engine for 1 more mana... I dunno man. That seems sketchy to me.
    I didn't mean razormane to be a house against RUG but it's solid: kill all the delvers, goyf cannot block it due to first strike, same for mongoose.
    It's true that wurmcoil and hellkite are better but 1 more mana often is the difference between casting a robot and keep it in hand, especially against a mana denial deck.

I think that ratchet bomb and powder keg (if you need additional effects) are better though, just remember that they can be stiffled.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I think that ratchet bomb and powder keg (if you need additional effects) are better though, just remember that they can be stiffled.
    While this is true, generally speaking I think we're pretty happy if they keep Stifle in against us.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

While this is true, generally speaking I think we're pretty happy if they keep Stifle in against us.
    Against a stompy build (like ours I guess ) they would side stifle out, but against forgemaster they will surely keep them in.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I don't see it being discussed in the last few pages. Anyone have a recent Godo MUD list to go by? I'm feeling spicy this week and want to fire up Sriracha MUD. #BatterLuckyThanGodo
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I don't see it being discussed in the last few pages. Anyone have a recent Godo MUD list to go by? I'm feeling spicy this week and want to fire up Sriracha MUD. #BatterLuckyThanGodo
    Here's the last list I played:

4 grim monolith
    3 trinisphere
    3 thran dynamo
    4 chalice of the void
    3 phyrexian revoker
    3 metalworker
    2 phyrexian metamorph
    4 lodestone golem
    3 wurmcoil engine
    2 steel hellkite
    3 godo, bandit warlord
    1 sword of fire and ice
    2 batterskull

4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    4 wasteland
    4 rishadan port
    3 mountain
    4 cavern of soul

SIDE
    1 phyrexian revoker
    2 Karn liberated
    3 spine of ish sah
    3 dodecapod
    3 tormod's crypt
    3 ratchet bomb

The side was made to fight show and tell and heavy discard: feel free to cut some dodecapod and spine for something more needed in your meta. I advise the fourth bomb and the fourth trinisphere, and if your meta is full of maverick some cursed totems.

Enjoy!!!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Cool thanks for sharing. Any particular reasons for 3x Metalworker or Revoker?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Cool thanks for sharing. Any particular reasons for 3x Metalworker or Revoker?
    No prob, I'm happy to know someone else is stomping faces with robots ^_^

Metalworker - it's powerful but my deck is not designed to exploit it completely: first of all there isn't a single artifact land and there are also 3 Godos, so the artifact count is not so high. Also I tried not to play too many CC above 5 because it will leads to situations where you would need metalworker to play your threats; meanwhile, having a lower mana curve, metalworker is not much needed. Moreover it is a creature and a 3 CC so basically anything can kill it. I prefer playing 2 thran dynamo because they are harder to remove and provide sufficient ramp.

Revoker - I play 3 MD and 1 in side because it's strong but not in every matchup (rug, burn...) and I prefer to have 2 metamorph which very often play like golem number 5 and 6.

I'm perfetcly open to criticism though; in fact I change the deck quite often.

Thread Information