Page 53 of 243 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Revokers are a sideboard card because you won't always be playing against Deathblade/Stoneblade decks. It takes G1 to figure out what you're playing against and G2 & 3 and that's when Revokers come in handy. It's only when you frequent a shop weekly and know who the attendees are and what they play do you usually mainboard Revokers. So there are some exceptions. I don't go to shops frequently so I keep them sideboarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionitech View Post
    Revokers are a sideboard card because you won't always be playing against Deathblade/Stoneblade decks. It takes G1 to figure out what you're playing against and G2 & 3 and that's when Revokers come in handy. It's only when you frequent a shop weekly and know who the attendees are and what they play do you usually mainboard Revokers. So there are some exceptions. I don't go to shops frequently so I keep them sideboarded.
    You actually can usually make a play with Revoker independently of that. Even from the first fetchland to come down.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by HansonWK View Post
    This is the list I've been playing with for the last month. It changes week by week though really. New additions are moving the Chalice to main, I have a lot of delver decks and UWR, BUG, its great against all of them.

1 Mox Opal
    2 Voltaic Key
    4 Grim Monolith
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Wasteland
    4 Great Furnace
    1 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls

3 Goblin Welder
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Metalworker
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Steel Hellkite

1 Staff of Nin
    1 Lightning Greaves
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    1 Staff of Domination

2 Karn Liberated

SB: 3 Faithless Looting
    SB: 2 Duplicant
    SB: 2 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Steel Hellkite
    SB: 1 Goblin Welder
    SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 Pyroclasm
    SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage

Faithless Looting normally go in when the Chalice's come out. Duplicant is for Omnishow, the mirror, and any other deck that plays annoying creatures. I came first as last weeks legacy, 3rd at the one previous, and 3rd the time before that (we have evetns every 2 weeks)

Reviewing your list, how was Karn in the Welder shell? Are there anything you wanted to change on this? Was Welder good at what it did? Did you miss Faithless Looting from the main?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Went 3-1 and came first on tie breakers at our weekly legacy today, playing the list I posted earlier, ecept the Grafdigger's cage were Tormod's Crypt. I also played +1 Wasteland because I traded for one finally, and -1 Wurmcoil Engine. I was mana screwed a bit last time I played, so having an extra land felt fine. Grafdigger's Cage is terrible, it doesnt let us weld or fetch things with forgemaster. I dunno why I put Grafdiggers on the list, probably because I've been playing them in sneak attack. I went 2-0 vs Nic Fit, 2-1 vs Jund, 1-2 vs RUG Delver (damn stiffle) 2-0 vs Goblins.

Goblin Welder works really well in the list even without the Faithless Lootings. It makes your opponents discard worse as you can weld things back in, you can weld out Monoliths that you have tapped and make more mana when you weld them back in. They are also good against other artifact decks. I sometimes sideboarded 1 out, and against Jund I borded all 3 out (bolt, abrupt decay, and being the first thoughtseize target make them less good, the gy hate they side in becomes a dead cards) Sometimes it feels weird having them in when you can't fill up your graveyard, but then you start flipping Wurmcoils in and out to make an army, or turn a spent monolithe into the Metalworker that got bolted, untap, and make lots of mana and you remember why they are so good in the deck. Sometimes you only need 2 if they aren't playing much removal, counterspells, or discard, but thats pretty rare these days.

Karn was fun as a 7 mana oops I win button, I might swap one back to a Wurmcoil though.

I didn't miss Faithless Looting at all, Chalice on 1 won me at least 2 games on its own, and played a major part in 2 others. (Not bad out of 10 games)
    Changes I might make are -1 Steel Hellkite in the sideboard for something else as I never sided it in. I might also cut a 3sphere for a City of Traitors if I can get my hands on one. Playing a 3sphere, then getting your sol lands wastelanded and being back a few turns hurts, its how I lost vs RUG delver, and being behind meant I could afford to play around wasteland in game 3 vs rug delver as I would die the next turn anyway. Drawing a trinisphere when you have one out already sucks, so I think 3 is fine. Might put the 4th in the board instead of the Hellkite for the matchups its essential against.

I'll try and write a full report on Sunday after the tournament. (1st is a box of MM!)

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Good luck man.

Let us know how it goes.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionitech View Post
    No way. You can keep them in hand to see what they are playing. Youll often know after a turn. There amazing in taking out liliana, jace, deatrite, top, lavamancer and a lot more. Always run 4. Youll need them.

Im baffled stompy doesnt get the love it deserves here, its much more resilient against combo like dredge or storm variations. Hating other decks without discriminating is awesome. Youll never be without a change.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Totally agree with Alex: RUG apart all decks have something to name with revoker, and I've never lost a match against combo with stompy mud. One of the best play is turn 2 golem, turn 3 metamorph cloning golem: there aren't many decks capable of replying this.
    Ignorance is strength

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Totally agree with Alex: RUG apart all decks have something to name with revoker, and I've never lost a match against combo with stompy mud. One of the best play is turn 2 golem, turn 3 metamorph cloning golem: there aren't many decks capable of replying this.
    i am not sure about metamorph.. yes hes amazing for his manacost becoming either a monolith or a wurmcoil adding to the consistency of the deck, however i simply dont have space to fit him

This is my list now, special shout out to scarecrone, he's my rescue unit wich can give nice extra draws by saccing mutavaults to him. Quitte a simple list, but doing so good with it.

RAMP
    4#Grim Monolith
    3#Thran Dynamo
    4 Metalworker

DEFENCE
    4#Lodestone Golem
    2#Scarecrone
    4#Phyrexian Revoker
    4#Chalice of the Void

HITTERS
    4#Wurmcoil Engine
    4#Batterskull

LANDS
    4#Ancient Tomb
    4#Cavern of Souls|
    4#City of Traitors
    4#Mutavault
    2#Rishadan Port
    4#Wasteland|

LAST RESORT PACKAGE
    3#Karn Liberated|
    2#All Is Dust

// sideboard

2#Crucible of Worlds
    2#Ratchet Bomb
    3#Tormod’s Crypt
    4#Faerie Macabre
    4#Trinisphere

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I like the shape of your deck, especially the redundancy of the many 4x.
    However I've got a couple off questions.

Playing 4 batterskull and 4 wurmcoil seems a bit overkill: couldn't you accommodate the numbers of those two in order to play at least a couple of steel hellkite?

Scarecrone seems a bit slow: do you ever thought playing goblin welder instead?

Why mutavault instead of mishra factory?
    Ignorance is strength

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    I like the shape of your deck, especially the redundancy of the many 4x.
    However I've got a couple off questions.

Playing 4 batterskull and 4 wurmcoil seems a bit overkill: couldn't you accommodate the numbers of those two in order to play at least a couple of steel hellkite?

Scarecrone seems a bit slow: do you ever thought playing goblin welder instead?

Why mutavault instead of mishra factory?
    Well not having flyers kinda hurts at times, especially against vendillion clique wich deals 3 unblockable damage a turn against me. However i feel the 8 lifelink guys have certain upsides too, i can out race many decks in direct damage just ignoring their flyers. Dropping one kills burn decks instantly too. And i feel the live is important because a hand with 2 ancient tombs can drain your life fast while setting up a position. Wurmcoil is also awesome because of the deatouch and his smaller reincarnations. Batterskull is awesome because of thw vigilance and all the tricks he can perform. One ignores desteoy effects and rhe other ignores exile effects. A dynamic duo!

I dont play welder because the caverns are reserved for game winners. I feel scarecrone is easy useable with our mana.

The mutavaults are just there instead of factories because of scarecrone. If i have a long game i can animate them and sac them as scarecrows to scarecrone thus drawing another card. Its a bit of a stretch maybe, but in at least one game i sacced three and dug up a all is dust ending the game. Just a personal twist to the deck, but fun neverthless.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Holland View Post
    The mutavaults are just there instead of factories because of scarecrone. If i have a long game i can animate them and sac them as scarecrows to scarecrone thus drawing another card. Its a bit of a stretch maybe, but in at least one game i sacced three and dug up a all is dust ending the game. Just a personal twist to the deck, but fun neverthless.
    If I wanted a draw engine in MUD, I'd rather use these combos:
    - Goblin Welder + Sensei's Divining Top
    - Voltaic Key + Sensei's Divining Top

Add a few Trading Post and Prototype Portal for even more CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTylerGalt View Post
    If I wanted a draw engine in MUD, I'd rather use these combos:
    - Goblin Welder + Sensei's Divining Top
    - Voltaic Key + Sensei's Divining Top

Add a few Trading Post and Prototype Portal for even more CA.
    But they are all 1 mana cards. And my most common play t1 is city or tomb into chalice @ 1. Thats an amazing play against many decks. Stompy isnt a combo deck, its more of a anti-combo deck i think LOL

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Holland View Post
    But they are all 1 mana cards. And my most common play t1 is city or tomb into chalice @ 1. Thats an amazing play against many decks. Stompy isnt a combo deck, its more of a anti-combo deck i think LOL
    In MUD Stompy, I like Crucible of Worlds for recurring CA. Combined with Buried Ruin, Mishra's Factory, and Wasteland, it's a pretty good CA engine :) Buried Ruin can even reclaim a countered Crucible to start the combo :)

BTW, did anyone consider porting to Legacy MUD the idea of playing 8 man lands, as they do in the Vintage Terra Nova deck lists?

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckd...p?DeckID=52155

Factory can boost your Mutavaults, since they are also Assembly Workers ;)

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I think that crucible recursion is too slow for legacy, unless you're playing against slow control decks.

The terra nova list is intriguing, but I think that needs more permanent control for winning in legacy: maybe smokestack? With that and trinisphere and crucible in play you can lock the opponent out of the game, but it requires a lot of setup.
    Ignorance is strength

Its a good sideboard..

Im considering dropping my ports; i use ports almost never.. waste of space (and money)? Maybe i will switch them for buried ruins, for more safety.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

The ports are better the more taxing effect you play, like golem, trinisphere and phyrexian metamorph. If you are not committing on those there are better options (even manlands).
    Ignorance is strength

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Has anyone considered adding dark depths combo to this deck? They are just lands and if people are talking about opening up land spots this seems like a great opportunity.

I've tested the deck extensively in other shells and its weakness are combo decks that are faster, Swords / path , activated abilities like karakas / maze of ith.

Its strengths are that it provides an uncounterable way win the game via lands. and can be given haste with lightning greaves. It can be activated t3 ancient tomb, thespian stage, dark depths as land drops. In yalls deck it might even be able to be activated sooner with stage and depths being your only 2 land drops.

Kinda feel like it fits the Overpowering combo theme.

anyone have ideas on this?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I think that you need to devote 8 land spaces or use expedition map to assemble the combo. Unfortunately I don't have time to test right now... :/
    Ignorance is strength

The problem with The land combo is that it probaly needs another color to work. And i dont like to mess up my mana base too much.. 8 sol lands are the foundation of the deck. And wastelands are kinda mandatory in legacy.

Id rather search for a way to include Another combo: grindstone painter. It has been done to some succes in a forgemaster shell i believe. Painter + all is dust is also sor of funny cuz it will also sweep lands if im right.
    Last edited by Alex Holland; 08-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Going to a legacy tourney in 12 hours and I'm debating what I should be running in my one of slot. It is currently Staff of Nin, but I'm not happy with it. I need a singleton Forgemast target. I'm thinking of either Crucible (helps vs wasteland, particularly Pox and Loam decks), keeping staff (Kills mother of runes, bob, thalia, couple other relevant creatures, draws cards) or Spine of Ish Shaw (Kills creatures, planeswalkers, annoying permanents like grafdiggers cage). I will probably decide between the three when I get there depending on the meta. I'll hopefully have a tournament report for you guys tomorrow as well.

Thread Information