Page 8 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Quote Originally Posted by movingtonewao View Post
    great report, would you have changed any in your 75 on hindsight?

btw, where did you get your "keep calm and brainstorm" shirt.
    So far no changes on the 75, although I am already eyeing a couple cards on M13.

The combo game one into midrange lockdown into game two to catch my opponent's pants down did me awesome. I could have won games if I didn't punt. You know you misplayed really bad when everyone was talking on how you could have won.

My girlfriend brought me a 'shirt ticket' where you can get a customized shirt. That's what I got. I have a picture of it at the Keep calm and play magic thread under the community board here.

Any more comments/questions are welcomed
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Jul 2011
    Singapore, Singapore City

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    So far no changes on the 75, although I am already eyeing a couple cards on M13.
    really? I'm not seeing anything other than rummaging goblin. And even that doesn't seem very good.

The combo game one into midrange lockdown into game two to catch my opponent's pants down did me awesome. I could have won games if I didn't punt. You know you misplayed really bad when everyone was talking on how you could have won.

My girlfriend brought me a 'shirt ticket' where you can get a customized shirt. That's what I got. I have a picture of it at the Keep calm and play magic thread under the community board here.

Any more comments/questions are welcomed

Lol, you had to mention you wasted my Caves of Koilos in game 1...and yes I do play 4 Scrubland. :)

I like the list. It's so scary when I see the amount of mana acceleration of what you could cast. You ever thought about Blood moon in the board?

btw, game 3 you landed an early Chalice at 1. I kept a hand with Swords to plowshares, Thoughtseize and Disenchant. Lucky for me that you didn't see Bitterblossom in game 1 or 2 as Ratchet bomb is really annoying.

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

I'm glad you listened about Steel Hellkite! I myself still run two, but you can see the two in my list currently are in the board. I like having extra bodies in my sideboard for a deck like this, but I really want to just take some time to play test and see which tutor targets are necessary, and which will be able to go altogether. So for the time I had to push him to my extra fifteen for testing. I also really miss having Phyrexian Metamorph from one day of play testing. That thing is just so good at what it does, I think it is likely one of the most underrated cards in the format.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by movingtonewao View Post
    really? I'm not seeing anything other than rummaging goblin. And even that doesn't seem very good.
    The problem I had with siding in Looting/SDT package is that I lose the ability to filter through my library. Postboard, I am not going for speed but for the lock. I find that my opponents will side in artifact hate on games 2/3. Looting/SDT doesn't play along with Chalice at one. I need to save as much mana as I can to lay down my lock while trying to cheat in Robots in play. Rummaging Goblin somehow helps in this cause. It's possible that it's going to be a post board/transformational piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Lol, you had to mention you wasted my Caves of Koilos in game 1...and yes I do play 4 Scrubland. :)

I like the list. It's so scary when I see the amount of mana acceleration of what you could cast. You ever thought about Blood moon in the board?

btw, game 3 you landed an early Chalice at 1. I kept a hand with Swords to plowshares, Thoughtseize and Disenchant. Lucky for me that you didn't see Bitterblossom in game 1 or 2 as Ratchet bomb is really annoying.
    I've been testing Blood Moon on the Tangle Wire slot (along with Trinisphere). I decided to go for the Tangle Wire over Blood Moon because there were a lot of talks about running mono-colored decks on the Teddy n Me Facebook page to get around people running Wasteland (as evident with showing of Combo Elves, High Tide, and lots of Burn). Trinisphere would have been nice there too but it goes against the speed plan of game 1. Also, I had to cut my additional land red sources for Cavern of Souls (I used Ghost Quarter as the utility land of choice before Cavern as it can act as a pseudo-fetchland for Mountains)

The dude who won the Mox was actually running Mono-red Burn.

Quote Originally Posted by noobslayer View Post
    I'm glad you listened about Steel Hellkite! I myself still run two, but you can see the two in my list currently are in the board. I like having extra bodies in my sideboard for a deck like this, but I really want to just take some time to play test and see which tutor targets are necessary, and which will be able to go altogether. So for the time I had to push him to my extra fifteen for testing. I also really miss having Phyrexian Metamorph from one day of play testing. That thing is just so good at what it does, I think it is likely one of the most underrated cards in the format.
    On Metamorph: Especially in this deck, I think its underrated. He does everything from additional Lodestone Golems, snapcasting Sundering Titans/Tangle Wires to add Welder Utility and legendary kill problem legendary creatures.

I would also like to add that Reforge the Soul still deserves testing. I've tested it but i didn't have enough time to polish the list so I just went with my pre-AVR list and just revised my land base adding Cavern of Souls. This's deck's ability to lock opponents negates Reforge's drawback of having your opponent drawing seven cards.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

The problem I had with siding in Looting/SDT package is that I lose the ability to filter through my library. Postboard, I am not going for speed but for the lock. I find that my opponents will side in artifact hate on games 2/3. Looting/SDT doesn't play along with Chalice at one. I need to save as much mana as I can to lay down my lock while trying to cheat in Robots in play. Rummaging Goblin somehow helps in this cause. It's possible that it's going to be a post board/transformational piece.

I've been testing Blood Moon on the Tangle Wire slot (along with Trinisphere). I decided to go for the Tangle Wire over Blood Moon because there were a lot of talks about running mono-colored decks on the Teddy n Me Facebook page to get around people running Wasteland (as evident with showing of Combo Elves, High Tide, and lots of Burn). Trinisphere would have been nice there too but it goes against the speed plan of game 1. Also, I had to cut my additional land red sources for Cavern of Souls (I used Ghost Quarter as the utility land of choice before Cavern as it can act as a pseudo-fetchland for Mountains)

The dude who won the Mox was actually running Mono-red Burn.

On Metamorph: Especially in this deck, I think its underrated. He does everything from additional Lodestone Golems, snapcasting Sundering Titans/Tangle Wires to add Welder Utility and legendary kill problem legendary creatures.

I would also like to add that Reforge the Soul still deserves testing. I've tested it but i didn't have enough time to polish the list so I just went with my pre-AVR list and just revised my land base adding Cavern of Souls. This's deck's ability to lock opponents negates Reforge's drawback of having your opponent drawing seven cards.
    Ah, trying to deal with the meta there. Yeah i had no clue about the meta there. Yep Burn won the whole thing, beating me in the final. A bit disappointed but the final match but I did manage to beat Sneak attack in the semis. Now that's a scary deck.

Yeah, i saw High tide and I saw 3 dredge decks (another deck Blood moon doesn't really do much against imo).

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Ah, trying to deal with the meta there. Yeah i had no clue about the meta there. Yep Burn won the whole thing, beating me in the final. A bit disappointed but the final match but I did manage to beat Sneak attack in the semis. Now that's a scary deck.

Yeah, i saw High tide and I saw 3 dredge decks (another deck Blood moon doesn't really do much against imo).
    I'm not sure if I've been testing with competent Dredge players but I think the deck actually has a positive matchup against Dredge, especially postboard. Chalice at one, 3sphere, Wasteland, Welder Tricks (to remove Bridge from Below and Tormod's Crypt), Ratchet Bomb/Steel Hellkite to deal with tokens.

I have to admit, this deck had a hard time against Canadian. Possibly against control as well if I go the slow-roll way.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

I have really been lagging on this haha. I wanted to write a new primer for the deck, but every time I open up my word doc I have like four new ideas I have been brainstorming, and I am always changing how I approach the deck the mentally.

Right now what I am noticing at least with my current build in testing is the blatant lack of a discard outlet. Right now welder is really acting as a way to recur threats that have hit the board once, not cheating them into play outright. While it's all good and well, I lose on some of the comboesque shenanigans welder could otherwise produce. Based on the fact that I run 4 chalice in the main (and I honestly feel like in the format right now, 4 chalice in the main should be mostly standard) I can't really opt for faithless looting, and Reforge the Soul is only a 1-of right now, so that clearly won't be very consistent.

I've been thinking of delving a little more into the actual red cards, and maybe testing RtS all the way up to a 3-of. Thoughts? Pound for pound I think it's the best draw-discard outlet we have access to, the only thing prohibitive is the double red that CoS does not produce for it. Also with the red splash one card I think we could legitimately test is Bosh. It's a colorless way to blow the shit out of certain problems. And can go the distance to fling some damage to the dome when we don't have the option of a favorable attack phase. It's been suggested before, but I will be honest when I say I don't think anyone actually gave it the time of day to really test properly.
    -Steve
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I have really been lagging on this haha. I wanted to write a new primer for the deck, but every time I open up my word doc I have like four new ideas I have been brainstorming, and I am always changing how I approach the deck the mentally.

Right now what I am noticing at least with my current build in testing is the blatant lack of a discard outlet. Right now welder is really acting as a way to recur threats that have hit the board once, not cheating them into play outright. While it's all good and well, I lose on some of the comboesque shenanigans welder could otherwise produce. Based on the fact that I run 4 chalice in the main (and I honestly feel like in the format right now, 4 chalice in the main should be mostly standard) I can't really opt for faithless looting, and Reforge the Soul is only a 1-of right now, so that clearly won't be very consistent.

I've been thinking of delving a little more into the actual red cards, and maybe testing RtS all the way up to a 3-of. Thoughts? Pound for pound I think it's the best draw-discard outlet we have access to, the only thing prohibitive is the double red that CoS does not produce for it. Also with the red splash one card I think we could legitimately test is Bosh. It's a colorless way to blow the shit out of certain problems. And can go the distance to fling some damage to the dome when we don't have the option of a favorable attack phase. It's been suggested before, but I will be honest when I say I don't think anyone actually gave it the time of day to really test properly.
    Is there anything you want to add on the primer? I am currently upgrading it. It would be a shame if the time I spent and spending to make (and I'm still updating) the primer would just be deleted.

As for discard, I do agree with your comment concerning the lack of discard. Masticores are great but once you are running low on cards, it's hard to keep it alive. And when it comes to Faithless Looting and Chalice, I believe that FLooting is still the best the deck could have but like what you said, it does not play well with Chalice. I actually chose Faithless Looting in the main over Chalice is because:

1) I find that no one counters Goblin Welder and StPs are usually saved for the actual robots (from Metalworker to Wurmcoil). I can utilize Welder more with Looting.

2) Everyone is saving their permission spell to Chalice.

That said, I will almost always board into Chalice over FLooting on game 2 (and 3 depending on the situation) because:

1) While it's certain that your opponent will board in artifact hate, they will think twice about boarding in graveyard hate too. With more hate sideboard pieces coming in, it dilutes their actual threats.

2) A lot of decks that run Swords to Plowshares will board in Path to Exile especially if they don't see Chalice in game one (and they also see Looting and Sensei's Divining Top). Chalice shines even more under this circumstances.

I do agree that Chalice should be on the main. My current build unfortunately cannot accommodate this although I have been working on something that can accommodate Chalice and Welder without losing Welder's conboesque capabilities.

Reforge the Soul, I have tested it for quite some time. I find that without a means of library manipulation, it's hard to hit the Miracle trigger. In the current manabase, it is hard to hardcast it as the double red is next to impossible to produce in this deck.

My current suggested solution for that is to change the whole land base like Dragon Stompy's configuration of running mountains (instead of utility lands). Also with that, the deck will be capable of running Moon effects.

You can also run Dangerous Wager as an alternative to Faithless Looting.

My other suggestion is splash green with red for Life from the Loam. The dredge on Loam helps dump robots in the yard while it helps you recycle Wastelands and City of Traitors. The problem I see with this is that it weakens the manabase even more.

Bosh is actually a decent idea. Definitely needs to be tested.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

1) I find that no one counters Goblin Welder and StPs are usually saved for the actual robots (from Metalworker to Wurmcoil). I can utilize Welder more with Looting.

2) Everyone is saving their permission spell to Chalice.
    I have serious questions about these two points. First if you resolve a welder you should be able to weld and disable stp.

But the second is more important, chalice will eat permission, always! So if it lands you get a ton of info. Further more if they spend all their counter magic on it and you land a lodestone, you are even better off.

As for some comments about making the build more comboesque, use caution. this deck should operate a little like long.combo, where each card is super powerful and can operate alone. You do not want to have to chain spells here, even over multiple turns, because we do not have the card selection to make that viable.-->It is this precise reason I have moved away from metalworker.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by dillonkbase View Post
    I have serious questions about these two points. First if you resolve a welder you should be able to weld and disable
    Yes this is true, making StP somehow ineffective as your opponent will be forced to StP the Welder, leaving with less StP to deal with your robots.

Either way it's a win scenario

But the second is more important, chalice will eat permission, always! So if it lands you get a ton of info. Further more if they spend all their counter magic on it and you land a lodestone, you are even better off.
    Yes this true.

I think the confusion is that siding in Chalice postboard vs. having it maindecked. Ultimately I believe it's a meta call, to keep your opponent guessing whether should he/she would have to deal with Chalice vs Welder.

Metalworkers and Robots are a must have to deal with. Giving them the benefit of guessing increases the chance of your Robots to survive. Worse case scenario, you resolve/have an active Chalice/Welder which will help negate whatever answer your opponent can provide (hence they count as both protection under the new primer)

As for some comments about making the build more comboesque, use caution. this deck should operate a little like long.combo, where each card is super powerful and can operate alone. You do not want to have to chain spells here, even over multiple turns, because we do not have the card selection to make that viable.-->It is this precise reason I have moved away from metalworker.
    But doesn't Metalworker provide such broken openings if not answered?

I am currently aiming for a more comboesque build that has mid-range capabilities (in the form of having a means to soft-lock the board)

I'll add more once I get home.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Metalworker does nothing by itself, it can fuel a good hand, but it doesn't make one. I have made the arguments against metalworker in the past... And I admit it is powerful and can be an important player, but It is also a big liability.

Just to rephrase... Metalworker makes you run bad lands, think great furnace and dark steel citadel. It tempts you to run a higher mana curve, which without worker can clogg your hand up. And it take a long time to come online, making it and our game plan vulnerable... This is time we could be using our city of traitors and ancient tombs to maximize their advantage, playing threats on turn two instead of an engine.

The bottom line is that metalworker is swingy, it can win games it sticks around and you have a hand that can abuse it, but going in on a metalworker and having it removed can lead to a blowout. A final thought, terminus is insane against metalworker hands, they can set it up so that when you play a worker, they get a turn to put terminus on top, you then put another turn into dropping your hand and bang... A miracle.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by dillonkbase View Post
    Metalworker does nothing by itself, it can fuel a good hand, but it doesn't make one. I have made the arguments against metalworker in the past... And I admit it is powerful and can be an important player, but It is also a big liability.
    Yes Metalworker is house if you have the right pieces but sucks late game. I know the other moniker of MUD is Metalworker but the deck shouldn't revolve around it, rather another broken tool the deck can utilize.

Goblin Welder sucks in the early game but it is still utilized.

Forgemaster sucks if you don't have artifacts on the field but it is still utilized.

Just to rephrase... Metalworker makes you run bad lands, think great furnace and dark steel citadel. It tempts you to run a higher mana curve, which without worker can clogg your hand up. And it take a long time to come online, making it and our game plan vulnerable... This is time we could be using our city of traitors and ancient tombs to maximize their advantage, playing threats on turn two instead of an engine.
    My build runs minimal artifact lands (and I will be cutting the two Great Furnace depending on what M13/Return to Ravnica brings. I do hate it when people build their MUD around the higher curve.

That's the reason why I run a lot of 1/2 CC spells in my version.

The bottom line is that metalworker is swingy, it can win games it sticks around and you have a hand that can abuse it, but going in on a metalworker and having it removed can lead to a blowout. A final thought, terminus is insane against metalworker hands, they can set it up so that when you play a worker, they get a turn to put terminus on top, you then put another turn into dropping your hand and bang... A miracle.
    Yes Metalworker is swingy and can be a blowout but I find that if you keep depending on it without any options, it will come back to bite you. That why the deck should also consider other options such as Sol-Lands + Monolith, Goblin Welder + enablers, and cheap artifacts + Forgemaster.

As for Terminus (or any Miracles), isn't Trinisphere + mana denial good? Maybe even Defense Grid + Tangle Wire.

On the deck as a whole:

Personally, I hate the fact that a lot of lists limit themselves when it comes to options. Just relying on Metalworker will not win you games. Having tons of singletons for Forgemaster makes the deck inconsistent. Relying on Welder for protection/cheat shenanigans wont always work. Chalice Stompy isn't always consistent. Why not mesh all these strategies since they all have a common list. It's bad enough postboard the deck dies in artifact hate, why limit the deck option?
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

Personally, I hate the fact that a lot of lists limit themselves when it comes to options. Just relying on Metalworker will not win you games. Having tons of singletons for Forgemaster makes the deck inconsistent. Relying on Welder for protection/cheat shenanigans wont always work. Chalice Stompy isn't always consistent. Why not mesh all these strategies since they all have a common list. It's bad enough postboard the deck dies in artifact hate, why limit the deck option?
    That was kind of my starting point. I looked at a bunch of the recent top sixteen lists and averaged out their card choices, and smoothed it by a few card slots based on preference and redundancy. I tried to get the best of most of the worlds, but to make room for it I had to cut back on some of the maindeck prison options and steel hellkite. In the end I want to find out what are the cards we really need in the main 60 to combat most of the format efficiently.

Ultimately I think we need to look at a few major points of aggression, and try to have all the decks "strategies" contribute something significant or at least worthwhile to it. We have prison, combo, and aggro all represented by the deck. If we admit that about anywhere from about 28-34 slots are realistically mana or other accelerants, then we know should really look at how to engineer roughly 30 slots of maindeck configuration. It's not a lot. But you look at something like UGR, which runs way less lands, but makes up the difference in those slots with a lot of filtering. We don't get that luxury. I think step one for all the approaches should be to optimize our mana base and try to cut it down to what it exactly needed, maybe plus 1.
    -Steve

Came 3rd at a 18 person GP trial-Ghent in Finland with the following list:

4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Wasteland
    4x Darksteel Citadel
    4x Cavern of Souls

2x Crucible of Worlds
    3x Lightning Greaves
    4x Grim Monolith
    2x Mox diamond
    1x Lotus Petal
    1x Mox Opal

4x Metalworker
    4x Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4x Wurmcoil Engine
    4x Lodestone Golem
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Trinisphere
    1x Steel Hellkite
    1x Blightsteel Colossus
    1x Sundering titan
    1x Platinum Emperion

SB:
    1x Duplicant
    1x Steel Hellkite
    1x Staff of Domination
    1x Trinishpere
    1x Phyrexian Metamorph
    3x Pithing Needle
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Witchbane Orb
    1x Spine of Ish Sah
    1x Spellskite
    1x Powder Keg

The metagame breakdown(apparently -1 deck.)
    1x Sneak & Tell
    1x Belcher
    2x High tide (1 candelabra, 1 solidarity)
    1x Reanimator
    1x Naya Aggro (zoo)
    1x Painter
    2x UR delver
    1x Maverick
    1x MUD (me)
    1x Stoneblade
    1x BUG (tune up)

Really happy with the deck, only deck I lost to was POX, played against same deck again in the semifinals.

My matchups were;
    UB Painter-stone;
    Never saw either combo piece in game one. Maindeck ensnaring bridges did give me trouble. Sided in pithing needles which did disable his top. He eventually gave up as the game was locked up and he was stuck with a BOB and no way to manipulate his deck.

Belcher;
    Games 1 & 2 both ended very fast with me dealing in the first game and he killing me on turn 1 in second game. Third game I mulligan to 3 (!!) and drop a turn 1 chalice with x=0. His face goes very gloomy as he ends up going to discard and dropping a petal. Turn 2 I drop land, his turn goes into discarding a LED. This goes on for a couple of turns until I draw a trinisphere to which he scoops.

Sneaky show;
    Do not recall much except that first game ends with my only permanent being a blightsteel colossus and his board having a tapped emrakul, sneak attack and 4 lands. i.e. I won. Game 2 is much longer and more difficult; apparently he boarded out his FOWs which would otherwise have changed the game a lot. He managed to show and tell a Grieselbrand into play but I eventually got rid of it with spine of ish sah and pithing needle prevented further draws.

POX;
    Game 1 I beat him into a pulp with hasted wurmcoils.
    Games 2&3 he duresses, hymns etc. until he draws liliana and gains complete control.

Zoo;
    I felt a bit sorry for the guy. First game he gets me to 2 and I surprise him with a hasted colossus. Game 2 I start with chalice x=1; he doesn't have a lot he can do after that.

TOP4

First game against POX, check previous matchup minus the first victory. Split 3rd spot.

Cavern of souls is the nuts in this deck. I recommend everyone trying a 4-of. With lightning greaves you can really surprise your opponent with a suddenly hasted (and always resolved) metalworker into hasted forgemaster into hasted colossus/sundering titan/steel hellkite.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

That was kind of my starting point. I looked at a bunch of the recent top sixteen lists and averaged out their card choices, and smoothed it by a few card slots based on preference and redundancy. I tried to get the best of most of the worlds, but to make room for it I had to cut back on some of the maindeck prison options and steel hellkite. In the end I want to find out what are the cards we really need in the main 60 to combat most of the format efficiently.

Ultimately I think we need to look at a few major points of aggression, and try to have all the decks "strategies" contribute something significant or at least worthwhile to it. We have prison, combo, and aggro all represented by the deck. If we admit that about anywhere from about 28-34 slots are realistically mana or other accelerants, then we know should really look at how to engineer roughly 30 slots of maindeck configuration. It's not a lot. But you look at something like UGR, which runs way less lands, but makes up the difference in those slots with a lot of filtering. We don't get that luxury. I think step one for all the approaches should be to optimize our mana base and try to cut it down to what it exactly needed, maybe plus 1.
    I wholeheartedly agree to this. As for my personal list, I am going for Combo-Aggro though my sideboard still sports the Aggro-Prison option. I would recommend not running Combo-Prison-Aggro all in main. This makes a lot of lists inconsistent (as evident in feature matches in SCG Opens)

Quote Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu View Post
    Cavern of souls is the nuts in this deck. I recommend everyone trying a 4-of. With lightning greaves you can really surprise your opponent with a suddenly hasted (and always resolved) metalworker into hasted forgemaster into hasted colossus/sundering titan/steel hellkite.
    Yes, it is the nuts as it can resolve threats that usually won't go through permission.

As for the Primer update, I added "Add Ons" and more to come. Anything you guys want to add is also welcomed. Bear with me as this will be a slow process.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

Yea I want to focus on Prison-Combo, and Aggro is just the result of having some creatures, instead of running more thick in threats to back up with bodies.
    -Steve

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Yea I want to focus on Prison-Combo, and Aggro is just the result of having some creatures, instead of running more thick in threats to back up with bodies.
    Care to elaborate on Prison-Combo?

The first thing that comes into my mind is Chalice/Trinisphere/Wasteland-Crucible/Lodestone Golem.

While there's nothing wrong with this, I still think its meta dependent. My version is geared for an unprepared meta but I believe as everyone around here picks up on it, I will be putting maindeck Chalices.

As for Crucible, I am still undecided whether I want it on the main.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

It's hard, cause there are so many cards I want to use, especially Blood Moon, and I can't figure out where to start the building the core. If I eschew Chalice of the Void it opens up the Looting+Top+Reforge package for some consistency and huge power plays. And that seems really... inviting to try out. If this deck didn't need so much mana XD. I would mostly consider dropping chalice to the board, because after looking at the top lists one thing I realized was that most of them didn't have chalice in the main, and their metagames weren't any less plagued of 0-2 cmc drops than ours are now right? So maybe there is something to having access to things like Flooting, Top, and Key game 1, and then having the option to hose the curve with CotV game 2. As far as my actual combo package to the deck I would say it's 4 Forgemaster, then 1 Spine, 1 Staff, 1 Blightsteel, 1 Sundering, and 1 Hellkite. I really also think there is some merit to having Spellskite as well, as he keeps so much stuff from being thrown at your guys if you aren't looking to run Chalice.

As far as wasteland crucible goes, I don't even feel inclined to run it. It's so slow, and costs you a lot of development you could use to actually win instead. Blood Moon does this but better I think.

Some potential tech I want to drop by the way: Null Brooch. Seems like it could be super randomly good.
    -Steve

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

FLooting and Top (in junction with Welders) do add consistency of the deck. That's why I have them on the main and my list is flexible enough to go Chalice Stompy way.

As for Reforge the Soul, I find that you'd want to run it with Chalice since it also gives gas to your opponent. Chalice stops a lot of cards that your opponent might have drawn. The problem with that is you'd need Top to set up Reforge, and Top doesn't normally play nice with Chalice.

Scroll Rack might be a great alternative but it is only half as helpful compared to Top because for the most part, you will have an empty hand.

As for Forgemaster, I don't really want to depend on it. The combo it provides is awesome but I'll stick with my list hat has minimal miser copies. Although, I do want to try Blightsteel again.

As for Spellskite, I used to run it on my list but eventually switched it to Tangle Wire. I guess it's just preference since you can use Tangle Wires aggressively.

Thats like my reasoning with Crucible. I can somehow control the board via Lodestones, Tangle Wire, post-board Chalice and 3sphere/Thorn of Amethyst. A single Wasteland activation can go far so the option of doing a Waste-lock seems too much work for me.

I tried Null Brooch (and Naked Singularity before. While they can have that synergy with Welder, it proved that it's Welder dependent. Null Brooch is too easy to play around.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Thread Information