Page 95 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Trinisphere out? I usually move out one of them, but not the entire playset!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UNLIMITED View Post
    Trinisphere out? I usually move out one of them, but not the entire playset!
    Well, my explanation would be that I run 3 Cavern of Souls maindeck for the FoWs and also feel like Trinisphere is low impact in this match-up. I look out more for the removals that Miracles play.

This is the aggro list I have been testing.

With the Trinispheres and Tangle Wires together, xUG delver decks are easier to handle, and Infect becomes manageable. Tangle Wire with Trinisphere helped a lot against Burn, making that match up easier too.

Without the Forgemaster tutor, Sneak and Show has been tougher.

It still doesn't solve the Death and Taxes problem (I feel like I've made it worse). I've stopped testing with this for now and want to figure out a way to solve the DnT match-up. Tangle Wires didn't help a lot in the DnT match-up. And this time, I now noticed that All is Dust doesn't help much either. DnT is too fast with lots of disruption. I'm thinking Vial really has to be shut down fast or it becomes a trouble. And there were hands too with multiple Wasteland starts from decks that do run them, which just shut down the 12post engine completely for us.

Creatures (18)
    4 Metalworker
    4 Lodestone Golem
    1 Batterskull
    2 Steel Hellkite
    4 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Sundering Titan
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Spells (18)
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Tangle Wire
    2 Thran Dynamo
    2 Karn Liberated

Lands (24)
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    2 Vesuva
    3 Cavern of Souls

Sideboard (15)
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Tangle Wire
    1 (open slot)
    1 Duplicant
    2 Spine of Ish Sah
    2 All is Dust

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by darkghost View Post
    This is the aggro list I have been testing.

With the Trinispheres and Tangle Wires together, xUG delver decks are easier to handle, and Infect becomes manageable. Tangle Wire with Trinisphere helped a lot against Burn, making that match up easier too.
    I don't understand how Tangle Wire helps against burn. They can just play their instant burn spells in the upkeep right? Tangle wire is quite useless I'd say? Same goes for stoneforge, they just pop in their batterskull or jitte in their upkeep and tangle wire is avoided somewhat...

(guess this is why i don't like this card so much, unless I'm playing it wrong of course)

Trinisphere helps a lot against burn by the way, no doubt about that Follow it up with Witchbane Orb for the win

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    I don't understand how Tangle Wire helps against burn. They can just play their instant burn spells in the upkeep right? Tangle wire is quite useless I'd say? Same goes for stoneforge, they just pop in their batterskull or jitte in their upkeep and tangle wire is avoided somewhat...

(guess this is why i don't like this card so much, unless I'm playing it wrong of course)

Trinisphere helps a lot against burn by the way, no doubt about that Follow it up with Witchbane Orb for the win
    Burn does have a good number of creatures, sorceries, and some with enchantments. They cant cast those while they are tangled. When you land Trinisphere, then Tangle Wire, or sometimes the other way around, chances are you'll prevent lots of damage during those timewalks. That's great for MUD!

Yup, Tangle Wire doesn't solve the Death and Taxes match-up. We'll have to depend on Phyrexian Revoker (or Pithing Needle) for that.

EDIT:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...UD-Primer.html
    While this primer is for vintage MUD, it is still a good read.

And for those who play a lot against Hive Mind, there's Eon Hub available for us.
    Last edited by darkghost; 07-24-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Its been quiet here lately, I hope people aren't giving up on MUD, hoping to spark up things here.

I played in a monthly tourney last weekend with my MUDstax list. I didnt want to make any big changes because I wouldn't have time to test them. I knew I was going into the tourney not prepared for some of the match-ups (Burn, 12post, deathblade), but focused on some other ones (Sneak and Show, RUG, Death and Taxes, Reanimator, Elves).

MUD-Stax v2.01
    Lands (24)
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    2 Vesuva
    4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

Locks(22)
    4 Chalice of The Void
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Smokestack
    4 Lodestone Golem
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

Mana Artifacts (8)
    4 Metalworker
    4 Grim Monolith

Other Finishers (6)
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Sundering Titan
    1 Steel Hellkite

Sideboard (15)
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Thorn of Amethyst (changed from Ensnaring Bridge)
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Powder Keg
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Batterskull
    1 Duplicant
    1 Karn Liberated (changed from Masticore)
    2 Spine of Ish Sah
    2 All is Dust

There were only 10 people who showed up and we play 4 swiss rounds with a cut to top 4.

Round 1:
    I lose the dice roll and I'm on the draw. I'm playing against BUG splash red for Young Pyromancer.

Game 1:
    He plays a first turn Deathrite Shaman. I Chalice for 1 which resolves. He eventually gets a Young Pyromancer out, while I'm stuck with 3 lands after popping City of Traitors. Loss

SB: -3 Smokestack, -3 Tangle Wire, +1 Ratchet Bomb, +1 Powder Keg, +1 Batterskull, +1 Thorn of Amethyst, +2 All is Dust

Game 2:
    I first turn a Sphere of Resistance off a Tomb, he Force of Wills. Delver on his turn. Eventually I get 2 Wurmcoils out back to back under a Cavern of Souls. Win

Game 3:
    All I remember from this game is that he gets 2 Young Pyromancers out and make lots of tokens. I misplay, having Batterskull and All is Dust in my hand and can cast both. I played Batterskull thinking I would live another turn with it. He flashes a Krosan Grip on my Batterskull and that is game. I could have played All is Dust first then Batterskull after. Loss
    (0-1)

Round 2:
    I lose the dice roll and im on the draw. Im playing against RUG threshold. My opponent points out my play mistake to me as he was watching my match. And I told him yeah, I don't have a lot of experience in the competitive environment.

Game 1:
    His first turn was a Delver of Secrets. I play a Chalice for 1 and he Dazes. He doesn't get to flip the Delver on his turn, but the next. We play with Wastelands for a bit but I lost that battle. I drew into more lands after, he gets a Tarmogoyf out, and I though I was going to lose being at 6 life. I take my turn and have 3 cards in my hand before my draw phase. He reveals his hand consisting of two Force of Wills and 2 blue cards, I only have 4 mana in play (2 from a Tomb). He was going to win, but i drew a Grim Monolith. I cast it, but he doesn't counter. I then played a Cavern of Souls naming Dragon, and cast my uncounterable Steel Hellkite (so much for those Force of Wills), I go down to 4 from my Tomb. He draws and attacks, i block the goyf and take 3 from the Delver, going down to 1. On my turn, i draw, and was nervous and forgot to attack (he's still at 20, not having cracked any fetchlands). He draws and passes. I attack, he blocks with Delver. In his turn, he Ponders and tries to find a Bolt, but no luck. He doesn't topdeck any bolts and I finish the game in 4 turns. (phew...) Win.

SB: -4 Sphere of Resistance (since I'm on the draw, lower impact on the match-up), -1 Phyrexian Revoker, +1 Batterskull, +1 Ratchet Bomb, +1 Powder Keg, +2 All is Dust

Game 2:
    His first turn was a Nimble Mongoose. I play a Wasteland. He plays a Wasteland. I copy a Wasteland with my Vesuva. We start wasting each other and end up with no lands. We draw cards and no lands for the next couple of turns. He finds lands first. I find lands after. I play Phyrexian Revoker naming Black Lotus, as I know he doesn't use any activated abilities, not even Jace. The Revoker gets bolted. I get a Lodestone uncountered, EOT he Ancient Grudges the Lodestone and casts Goyf on his turn. I couldn't recover after that. Loss

SB: -2 Phyrexian Revoker, -3 Smokestack, +4 Sphere of Resistance (on play), +1 Karn Liberated

Game 3:
    I start off with a Sphere of Resistance, he land, passes. I follow up with another Sphere of Resistance. He land, passes. I get a Wasteland and crack his Volcanic Island. We both have some turns with lands and no lands. I get a Metalworker in. He Life from the Loam cracking all his fetches, and I Wasteland him. I was happy that I didn't see a Bolt for my Metalworker. Next couple of turns were Lodestone, Wasteland, then back to back Wurmcoils for the game. Win.
    (1-1)

Round 3:
    I win the die roll and go on the play. I'm playing Burn. He didn't want to face me because he had really bad experiences against MUD in the past. I told him he has a very high chance of winning against MUD, Ancient Tombs hurt me a lot. (Plus I wasn't prepared for this match-up anyways.)

Game 1:
    I mull to 4 have 1 land in each of my hands. That was pretty much an auto-win for him. I saw an Eidolon of the Great Revel and 2 Sulfuric Vortex. I had 2 Tangle Wires in my hand, which would have helped if I had the mana for them. Loss.

SB: -2 Smokestack, +1 Thorn of Amethyst, +1 Phyrexian Revoker (as a blocker)

Game 2:
    3 Lands, and didn't draw anymore. Chalice for 1 keeps him pinned down for a turn. I get a Phyrexian Revoker. He Smash to Smithereens my Chalice and casts Goblin Guide, I block with my Phyrexian Revoker and trade. Next turn I play a Grim Monolith hoping to get a Wurmcoil next turn. He Smashes it and Price of Progress twice in his succeeding turns. Eidolon of the Great Revel kills me after. Loss.
    (1-2)

He knew his MUD match-up really well, siding out Grim Lavamancer, Sulfuric Vortex (because of my Tangle Wires), and sides in Smash to Smithereens and Vexing Shusher. I wasn't expecting the Shusher.

I dropped with a 1-2 record and no chances of making top 4. I felt fine with what I learned in this tourney. I never got to use Smokestack and would have wanted a 25th land and Crucible against Wasteland decks. I also would like to use Thorn of Amethyst against Burn, because I don't think Witchbane Orb can help me with that match-up. Price of Progress is just too strong and doesn't even target. Tangle Wire can be sided out and those would go in.

I felt really good beating the RUG match-up. It felt especially good after hearing everyone talked about the guy I played and how he normally makes it to the top 4/8 cuts.

I have always been interested in (nameless one)'s stax list from page 68, and would like to test it further. The explanation on card choices (why Mox Diamond, and why not Smokestack, but KuldothaForgemeaster instead) intrigues me.
    Last edited by darkghost; 07-29-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I run Mox Diamond because I want to make sure that I hit that turn 1 Chalice/Sphere/game changing artifact. It's hard to get 2 mana on turn one with only 7 sol lands (I only run 3 City). Discarding lands isnt an issue when I run 25 of them + Crucible.

Forgemaster is there as a game finisher, go grab a win condition once I set up the softlock. Hard lock is hard to achieve and you want to win before your opponent breaks free.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

It's mine impression or the match-up against elves is not favorable? They can kill us in a lot of way and Chalice of the Void can't stop some finishers. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UNLIMITED View Post
    It's mine impression or the match-up against elves is not favorable? They can kill us in a lot of way and Chalice of the Void can't stop some finishers. Any suggestions?
    Hi Alex,

I played against elves for top8 in a tourney today and felt how fast they are (I lost). I asked the elves player how MUD does against him. The answer seems to be sticking a Chalice @ 1 early (and the elves player not getting the Abrupt Decay) and us comboing off. He also mention how elves is probably the worst match up for MUD. I have beaten elves before with Chalice @ 1, but I feel like luck played a role there as I drew an All is Dust in time just before the elves player can combo off.

There is also a report from (nameless one) on page 68 of this forum, how he went 2-0 against elves. He had Chalice @ 1 game 1, and 2 Phyrexian Revokers (naming key cards, I guess) game 2.

In my match against elves, Spheres actually didn't slow elves down at all. They can generate more mana than us in plenty of ways. I also took out Spellskites and All is Dust from my sideboard, I am regretting that decision as those cards would have helped against the elves match-up a lot. Karn definitely doesn't help against elves, but I feel like Lightning Greaves does plenty.

What do you think?

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by darkghost View Post
    Hi Alex,

I played against elves for top8 in a tourney today and felt how fast they are (I lost). I asked the elves player how MUD does against him. The answer seems to be sticking a Chalice @ 1 early (and the elves player not getting the Abrupt Decay) and us comboing off. He also mention how elves is probably the worst match up for MUD. I have beaten elves before with Chalice @ 1, but I feel like luck played a role there as I drew an All is Dust in time just before the elves player can combo off.

There is also a report from (nameless one) on page 68 of this forum, how he went 2-0 against elves. He had Chalice @ 1 game 1, and 2 Phyrexian Revokers (naming key cards, I guess) game 2.

In my match against elves, Spheres actually didn't slow elves down at all. They can generate more mana than us in plenty of ways. I also took out Spellskites and All is Dust from my sideboard, I am regretting that decision as those cards would have helped against the elves match-up a lot. Karn definitely doesn't help against elves, but I feel like Lightning Greaves does plenty.

What do you think?
    Elves is very hard. I have played the stompy version with Cursed Totem from the side with the most succes and even then it was hard. I mean they have GSZ to solve problems or they just go the NO(-Pro) route and win from there. But i think dropping a chalice @ 1 is the best play for Forgemaster builds. Actually, instead of fighting the engine that makes Elves win i must agree on going faster is the better bet. MUD can combo as early as turn 2. So the best bet is going for Chalice @ 1 and a fast way to win or no Chalice and be even faster.

Speaking of fast, i am starting to dislike the 12-post manabase as it tends to be slow due to the tapped into play side effect. For me, i had the best results with the deck when i dropped either a Colossus (with Lightning Greaves) or a Sundering Titan on turn 2/3/4. But after that it goes pretty much downhill and i couldn't recover most of the time. I am thinking about going back to a Welder build again with Chalice at the side and voltaic key's, goblin welders and lightning greave main. As a replacement of Chalice i will hold Trinisphere main as it has been solid every time i played it. That said i will put some extra stuff like Tangle Wire, Defense Grid, Thorn of Amethyst at the side to transform from fast (aggro/)combo to control(ish). Perhaps 2x All is Dust main to clear the road before the turn i can combo of (or just prevent being killed) and keeping 2x Karn Liberated at the side. Any thoughts on that?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Elves is a 50/50 match up. Chalice at 1 helps but postboard, they have so many ways of dealing with it.

I think Sphere of Resistance is better than Trinisphere here. While 3Sphere makes all elves cost 3, SoR also slows ten down. It makes Abrupt Decay still cost three and it makes Natural Order cost one more. Not to mention it can come on turn one with a similar effect of Chalice at one in the early turn.

I am afraid that they got a leg up because they can still get Reclamation Sage, though SoR makes him cost one more.

Cutting off mana is crucial in that matchup, which is really hard to do. You can fully lock them down so it is necessary to have threats while you slow them down. Alternatively, you can combo out while you slow them down, before you can break free.

-Cursed Totem can be helpful.
    -Tangle Wire really slows them down (they only have Abrupt Decay to interact)
    -Chalice at one (or any resistor) + Threat is key
    -Get rid of Cradle before it becomes relevant

As for 12post manabase, I agree that it is a turn or two slower than the other builds. But I still like 12post because it is less volatile. I fix it's drawback by running Mox Diamond + Crucible. Also, my page68 list is tailor made to abuse the mana capability of 12post (keep in mind that I can only create maximum of 6 available mana with that resistor list).

As for the Welder list, I would suggest Tangle Wire over Trinisphere (Trinisphere is fine in the side board).
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

May 2014
    UK

I played Elves in a LGS tourney last weekend playing a stax list based on darkghost's. As many have said earlier, the speed of those little (and not so little) green critters was quite unnerving.

First game was a blur, I lost. I had a bad start second game mulliganing looking for chalice which I didn't find, but a first turn trinisphere followed by second turn tanglewire started his problems. Revoking Heritage Druid and then Deathrite Shaman also slowed him down massively but he still kept them coming. A Lodestone followed by All is Dust kept the smile off his face, but he still bounced back. Wurmcoil followed by another All is Dust (!!) finally finished him off. Third game he was just too fast.

I think I would have done ok against Dark Depths (he boarded in Creeping Corrosion!!), but I made the newbie mistake of not calling the judge for a ruling on flashback on his moment's peace which the guy said 'overwrote' cmc which was a known work round for chalice - well you live and learn - no hard feelings I think he genuinely believed what he was saying - it's my fault for not sticking to my guns :)

I was beaten by LED Dredge and Small Pox - it was close at times though.

My inexperience (and occasional horrendous misplays like putting a counter on smokestack before saccing -doh!) doesn't help as I'm fairly new to Legacy and haven't played many of the major decks, but I'm going to stick with MUD, its just too much fun to play!! Most people were very complimentary about the deck so nice one darkghost!

Interestingly for a small 17 player event there was another guy running very a very aggro forgemaster build. I'm not sure how he did, I didn't get the chance to talk to him afterwards.
    Last edited by ant; 08-17-2014 at 08:00 PM.

@Bobmans: I don't like the idea of having the Welders and AiDs maindeck, but AiDs SB sounds better.

@ant: glad you enjoyed, and well, that's your list now. There's a lot of sequencing that can end up badly for us. Examples are: what do you play first, a Trinisphere, Tangle Wire, or Metalworker? Do you accelerate to a Lodestone Golem this turn, or a Wurmcoil next turn. Playing the right cards become crucial.

@(nameless one): I played your list in the tournament last weekend, but favoring a 4th Wasteland over the 4th Mishra's Factory, and changing the sideboard.

Here is the list I played:
    Creatures (15)
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Lodestone Golem
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Sundering Titan

Artifacts (20)
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Grim Monolith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Tangle Wire
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Lands (25)
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    3 Vesuva
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Mishra's Factory (-1 from (namless one)'s list)
    4 Wasteland (+1 from (namelessone)'s list)

Sideboard:
    3 Tormod's Crypt (-1, changed to Batterskull)
    3 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Thorn of Amethyst (changed from Spellslkites)
    1 Duplicant
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Batterskull (+1, from Tormod's Crypt)
    2 Spine of Ish Sah

Match 1: Merfolks
    Game 1:
    - I win the die roll and I'm on play.
    - I play a Cloudpost
    - He plays an Underground Sea and an Aether Vial. (I don't know what the black was for the whole match.)
    - My 2nd turn was a Cloudpost followed by a Grim Monolith. I had Phyrexian Revoker and Chalice of the Void, but I'm baiting to see if he would counter, it resolves.
    - His 2nd turn was to tick up Aether Vial, Island, and another Vial.
    - My 3rd turn: I miss my land drop, Lodestone Golem (again trying to bait a counter as I want Phyrexian Revoker to resolve, no counterspells), and Phyrexian Revoker on Aether Vial, with 1 mana available still from the Grim Monolith in case for Daze. He looked hurt by this.
    - His 3rd turn was an Island, Phantismal Image on Lodestone Golem, pass.
    - I forgot what I did 4th turn, it was nothing relevant, just a land pass.
    - He tried to play a Silvergil Adept but I pointed it out to him that he has to pay 4 mana as there are two Lodestone Golems in play. He then plays a Island, then his Silvergil adept, revealing a second one in his hand, tapped out. I untap Grim Monolith EoT.
    - My 5th turn was Ancient Tomb, Chalice for 2, not using the Monolith, and pass.
    - He didn't play a land on his turn and passed.
    - My 6th turn was Steel Hellkite, pass
    - He doesnt attack with anything his turn.
    - Steel Hellkite attacks for the succeeding turns, blowing up Silvergil Adept, then the Vials, then his Lodestone Golem copy ftw. (1-0)

SB: +3 Ratchet Bomb, -2 Grim Monolith, -2 Sphere of Resistance, -1 Sundering Titan, +1 Steel Hellkite, +1 Wurmcoil Engine, -2 Phyrexian Metamorph, +1 Duplicant, +1 Batterskull
    - I was wondering why (nameless one) sided out Chalice of the Void against Merfolks. Chalice at 2 kills Merfolk's without Vial.

Game 2:
    - He mulls to 5 and isn't too happy with his hand still. I keep a Cloupost, City of Traitors, 5 non-land cards.
    - He plays an Island and passes. (I'm so glad he doesn't have a Vial, not having Phyrexian Revoker in my hand.)
    - My turn was a Cloudpost, pass
    - His turn was another Island, Lord of Atlantis, pass
    - I drew a Vesuva, play it copying Cloudpost, tap my Cloudpost for 2 and play Sphere of Resistance, baiting for counter but resolves.
    - His turn was a Mutavault, and another lord, tapped out
    - I drew a Steel Hellkite, play a City of Traitors. I would want to cast the Hellkite but my Sphere of Resistance is preventing me.
    - From there all I remember was playing Tangle Wire to slow the damage done to me down preemptively, casting a Chalice for 1 the turn after, and going down to 8 from his merfolks. I cast my Steel Hellkite when I got mana to cast for it and while he is tapped out. He had the same face when I casted a Phyrexian Revoker on his Aether Vial game 1.
    - He swings at me with the two Lords and a Mutavault. I block the Mutavault with my Hellkite and go down to 2. He plays another Mutavault.
    - On my turn, I swing with hellkite, kill lords for 2, play a drawn Wasteland on his 2nd Mutavault, play Lodestone Golem, which resolves and win next turn. (2-0)
    [1-0]

- after the game, I realized that if I chalice for 2, I lock myself out of my Ratchet Bomb and Phyrexian Revoker. I should still Chalice for 1 and shut down Aether Vial (if there is any in play) before going for a Chalice at 2.

Match 2: Thopter Combo
    Game 1:
    - I kept a 6 lander hand, on the draw
    - I don't really know how to play against thopter combo, plus discovering it late was a negative for me.
    - I couldn't resolve anything through permission
    - He combos off with thopter foundry
    - loss (2-1)

SB: +3 Throne of Amethyst, +3 Ratchet Bomb, +1 Spine of Ish Sah, -4 Chalice of the Void, -3 Tangle Wire

Game 2:
    - I had a Phyrexian Revoker resolve, but he had a Seal of Primordium?
    - He countered a critical Sundering Titan for me mid-game, Swords to Plowshare my Wurmcoil Engine. And when I thought I was coming back with a Lodestone Golem and a Steel Hellkite. He lands an Ensnaring Bridge.
    - Time ran out and we both couldn't kill each other, but he won last game (2-1-1)
    [1-1]

Match 3: BUG Delver
    Game 1:
    - I lose the die roll
    - I get overwhelmed with an Delver of Secrets and Tarmogoyf, not drawing a Hellkite but have blockers on the ground. (2-2-1)

SB: -2 Phyrexian Metamorph, -4 Mox Diamond, +1 Steel Hellkite, +1 Wurmcoil Engine, +1 Batterskull, +3 Ratchet Bomb

Game 2:
    - I'm on play
    - He has a Delver first turn, I resolve a Ratchet Bomb on my turn.
    - He doesn't flip the Delver on his turn and swings for 1. EoT I add a counter on Bomb and blow it next turn. I didnt have anything much but a land drop. He Wastelanded me twice in the preceding turns.
    - I drew more lands and followed by a resolved Lodestone Golem, and a resolved Tangle Wire, while he was on 1 land. He scoops after his draw phase. (3-2-1)

SB: -4 Sphere of Resistance, +2 Phyrexian Metamorph, +1 Duplicant, +1 Mox Diamond

Game 3:
    - He got an early delver flipped (again...), my play was a Cloudpost.
    - He then plays a Hymn to Tourach, which took a Lodestone Golem and a Phyrexian Revoker. I'm glad he didn't end up taking any of my lands and he didn't have Wastelands.
    - I play a drawn Vesuva and the other Phyrexian Revoker in my hand and he plays a Force of Will.
    - He plays a third turn 5/6 Goyf, and it feels a lot like game 1. But I play a Glimmerpost, gaining 3 life, and a Duplicant with 1 mana available in case for Daze. Duplicant becomes a 5/6 Lhurgoyf.
    - He Ponders on his turn and attacks, then play a Deathrite Shaman. I play a Vesuva copying Glimmerpost and attack with the a 5/6 Duplicant. He blocks with the Deathrite Shaman as he was pretty consistent with his land drops.
    - He plays a land, Ponders, attack and passes. I play a land, attack and pass. He is at 14, and I'm at 15. I get another hit from the insect and go down to 12. I got a Forgemaster and a Lodestone Golem resolve.
    - He gets a Tombstalker out for 3, and a Sylvan Library, accidentally revealing his Abrupt Decay, the only card in his hand. I can still race him faster in damage so I'm very comfortable.
    - I drew a Phyrexian Metamorph, playing it, resolving it and copying duplicant on his tombstalker. He scoops. (4-2-1)
    [2-1]

Match 4: BUG delver (different player)
    Game 1:
    - I win the die roll and go on the play.
    - I didn't have any tax effect, but a chalice for 1, which gets Abrupt Decayed.
    - He was aggressive with his 2 Wastelands and I'm locked out of my hand.
    - I drew into more lands a couple of turns after.
    - He resolves Liliana with his 2 deathrite shamans and gets a delver out and flipped the next turn. I get a steel Hellkite out with some Mishra's Factories for the Liliana for 2 turns.
    - He finishes me with 2 deathrite shaman slowly with the delver as a blocker. 1 more turn is all I needed to turn that one around... (4-3-1)

SB: -4 Mox Diamond, -1 Phyrexian Metamorph, +1 Steel Hellkite, +1 Wurmcoil Engine, +3 Ratchet Bomb, I forgot to side in Batterskull.

Game 2:
    - I get 2 Sphere of Resistance back to back and a Phyrexian Revoker in. He Abrupt Decays the Revoker.
    - Hymn to Tourach hurts me a bit, discarding another Revoker and a Lodestone, but I came back drawing into post land, ancient tomb and a Kuldotha Forgemaster, while he Ponders and Brainstorms for 3 mana each time.
    - I sac Kuldotha, Sphere and Monolith for a Sundering Titan, then cast another Sphere while he is tied down to 1 fetchland. (5-3-1)

SB: -4 Sphere of Resistance, +1 Batterskull, +1 Duplicant, +1 Phyrexian Metamorph, +1 Mox Diamond

G3:
    - Another tight match, he casts Grafdigger's Cage, followed by goyf and delver in succeeding turns. I have Phyrexian Revoker on deathrite, which he doesn't have.
    - I Ratchet Bomb the unflipped delver and resolve a Lodestone Golem.
    - Next turn he passes, and he Krosan Grips my Lodestone on my turn.
    - By this time, I have 2 Cloudposts and 2 Glimmerposts, 1 Vesuva copy each. I cast Steel Hellkite followed by Kuldotha Forgemaster the turn after. He couldn't keep up and I win. (6-3-1)
    [3-1]

Match 4:
    - We are guaranteed top 8 so we both draw and wait for top 8 to happen.
    [3-1-1]

Top8:
    Game 1: Elves
    - I'm lower seed so I'm on the draw. My starting seven was: City of Traitors, Mox Diamond, Phyrexian Revoker, Wasteland, Glimmerpost, Mishra's Factory, and Lodestone Golem. I didn't know what I was playing but decided to keep because of the decency of what the hand I got could do.
    - His first turn was a Forest and a Quirion Ranger. Suddenly, my hand felt dodgy and inferior. I played a City of Traitors, Mox tossing Wasteland, Tangle Wire to try and deny the Forest he has on play and the turn after that.
    - He taps his Quirion Ranger and Forest for Tangle Wire. He plays a Dryad Arbor and passes.
    - I tap my 3 permanents and play a Cloudpost, sacing City of Traitors.
    - He's tapped again next turn, playing a forest and an elf. I forgot what I did my turn, must have just played a land.
    - He leaves the Dryad Arbor and two Forests untapped for Tangle Wire and taps the rest. He then proceeded casting Glimpse of Nature. Activating Quirion Ranger to untap Dryad Arbor, play another Quirion Ranger, replay the Forest, play another Wirewood Symbiote, and cast more elves, one being Heritage Druid. My Tangle Wire was completely ignored.
    - My turn, I play a Glimmerpost and a Phyrexian Revoker on Quirion Ranger. He taps some stuff, then proceeds to Green Sun's Zenith for Reclamation Sage to kill my Phyrexian Revoker, bounces it with Wirewood Symbiote, then play it killing my Mox Diamond. It was pretty much game from there.

SB: -3 Tangle Wire, -1 Sundering Titan, +3 Ratchet Bomb, +1 Steel Hellkite

Game 2:
    - I am on play and start wih a Cloudpost. He plays a Forest and a Quirion Ranger.
    - On my turn I play a Glimmerpost and a Sphere of Resistance. He plays another Forest and a Heritage Druid.
    - I play an Ancient Tomb and another Sphere of Resistance. In his turn, he plays a Gaea's Cradle, Birchlore Rangers, activates Heritage Druid, plays a Wirewood Symbiote, taps the Forests for mana, activates Quirion Druid untaping Birchlore Ranger, activates Wirewood Symbiote returning Quirion Dryan to his hand, untapping Heritage Druid and plays Nettle Sentinel.
    - On my turn, I cast Lodestone Golem and pass. He plays a Dryad Arbor and GSZ tapping 7 (X=3) and searches for his Reclamation Sage.
    - It was pretty much game from there as I couldnt find a Phyrexian Revoker, but also because I'm partly trapped under my sphere but he can cast whatever he wants.

Notes:
    - Chalice of the Void should not be sided out as much as possible.
    - This deck ran very smooth. Lots of small drops and a few big ones. Cutting down to 1 Wurmcoil made starting hands less cluttered. You won't see much of 6ccs. Life from Glimmerposts were awesome enough.
    - I feel like the 25th land made a good difference against decks that use Wasteland. I was drawing into more lands even after being Wasted twice and could come back in the game.
    - Thorn of Amethyst is pretty much only valuable against certain combo decks or burn.
    - A first turn Chalice or Sphere increases your chance vs Elves by a good lot. Tangle Wires don't help a lot there unless you have taxing effects down.
    - Props to Steel Hellkite (mostly the 2nd one in the SB) as it was beating down opponents all day. I didn't know how good it was until this tournament. Ratchet Bombs were great too, but still situational.

Going forward, I'd change the 3 Thorn of Amethysts to 2 Spellskites, and 2 All is Dust, taking out a Ratchet Bomb.
    Last edited by darkghost; 08-07-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Why not just post the report here?
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Why not just post the report here?
    Now posted.

@ant: quick question: How many times did you lock an opponent out using Smokestack in the games you played?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I sided out Chalice against Merfolk because at 1, it's ineffective and at two, my other answers against that deck will also be blanked (namely Bomb and Revoker)

Also, I'll probably try to incorporate Smokestacks on the side against Midrange lists (like B/G/x) from the side.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Nice report darkghost! Top 8 is very respectable and im glad you took the elves game in such detail based on recent discussions. (Open to response from nameless also btw) Regarding your proposed changes, what are you bringing spellskite in for?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Spellskite is there to protect your threats from removal on top resistors. The deck runs minimal threats so it is important to protect them. It also buys time against more aggressive decks as its a 0/4 wall for two
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Fair enough, I've only tried it in the traditional post build and it was so so. What was your thinking of sphere instead of trinisphere? Were there many instances where you locked yourself out? I find while 3sphere is strong it can backfire very easily.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Here's my Welder MUD list:

Lands:
    3x Mountain
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Wasteland
    3x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    4x Cavern of Souls

Creatures:
    4x Goblin Welder
    4x Metalworker
    3x Wurmcoil Engine
    3x Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4x Lodestone Golem
    1x Platinum Emperion
    1x Blightsteel Colossus
    1x Steel Hellkite
    1x Sundering Titan

Other Spells:
    1x Karn Liberated
    1x Batterskull
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Grim Monolith
    2x Lightning Greaves
    2x Sensei's Diving Top
    2x Trinisphere

SB:
    2x Blood Moon
    3x Pithing Needle
    3x Relic of Progenitus
    4x Defense Grid
    2x Trinisphere
    1x Wurmcoil Engine

I think I want to try Bottled Cloister in there somewhere, maybe cut a Sundering Titan?
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Thread Information