Page 65 of 80 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1599

Thread: [Deck] Team America (Midrange/Control Thread)

Re: [DTB] Team America (Midrange/Control Thread)

wcm - how has the traditional heavy black Team America manabase been treating you now that you have lots of UU casting costs? I'm intrigued by your list but I'm wondering how stable the manabase is since you're supporting both BB for Hymn/Tombstalker and UU for True Name/Clique/Postboard Jace. I remember that the point of contention between the old Hymnstalker and TNNSeize lists a few years back was essentially a choice between BB or UU.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

The mana-base has been fine. The deck is mostly geared around reliably casting Hymn on Turn 2, so there's an emphasis on early access to BB. The deck wants to be able to curve out as much as possible, with a perfect sequence being Turn 1 DRS (ideal, but FPush or Ponder are okay too), Turn 2 two-drop, Turn 3 three-drop with a Daze, FoW and/or Wasteland thrown in the first few turns somewhere. The mixture of cards seems to facilitate this tap-out approach pretty well, and if you were able to curve out you're very likely to be winning the game.

I am a *little* iffy on some of the greediness of recent adjustments, e.g. I think that I still want 3 Ponders (thus cutting Sylvan Library for now), and I also am going back-and-forth between the 4th Tarmogoyf vs. the 3rd TNN. It is very matchup (and context) dependent that it's really hard to say which threat would be better for the deck overall.
    Last edited by wcm8; 02-17-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Hey guys,
    on Saturday I played our local monthly event and went 3:2 after 5 rounds of swiss, not the result I wished for but I wanted to report you guys how it went even with a result like this.

This was the list I played:

15 Creatures
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Tarmogoyf

25 Spells
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Hymn to Tourach

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Fatal Push
    1 Umezawas Jitte

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Sylvan Library

20 Lands
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

FoW Count -> 22

Round 1: BR Reanimator Won 2:0
    Game one he had the perfect opening OTP with Chancellor, Land, Petal, Looting discard Chancellor and then he fizzled because he wasnt able to find a reanimation spell in time and I beat his face with a 5/6 Tarmogoyf + Leovold...
    Game two I had all the answers after a mulligan to 6...Surgical, FoW, Shaman etc...

Round 2: Elves Lost 1:2
    Those games were more grindy than you would expect it from the Elves MU! 3 long grindy games...I won game one but sadly lost the other two after he topdecked his 2nd or 3rd NO from the top which won him the game. This was really frustrating because I handled all the NO´s before with Thoughtseize and was 1 turn away from landing and equipp Jitte. SCM, TS & FP were great here and did a lot of work. Sadly I was never able to draw one of my two jitte´s.

Round 3: Elves Won 2:0
    Yay, another Elves oponent
    This time I shot my oponent to the stone ages and killed every single dude he landed with multiple AD, FP, SCM and while TS away his NO´s. TNN and Leovold clocked him meanwhile. Both games were not really close...No Jitte here either...

Round 4: Burn Lost 0:2
    Both games were super close and thrilling. game one I stabilized on 2 life with an active shaman on board and enough dudes in the GY after he fireblasted me. I activated the +2 life ability in my mainphase to play around a burn spell in response to my EOT lifegain, he had no Cards in Hand and I saw a Jitte on top of my library with a ponder. I said go and he topdecked his 2nd fireblast with exactly 2 remaining mountains in play. I snaped in SCM in response to find my 3rd FoW but wasnt able to find it...
    In game two I had a super start with T1 Shaman which he bolted and then hymend away 1 goblin guide + a mountain T2. Killed his other guide with FP, FoW´ed his Eidolon and landed a Jitte on 17 or 18 life. Then I had no other dude in hand and joked with my oponent "I´m sure I will die with an jitte on board", man I shouldt have said this Exactly this happened...I drew 2 Ponder + 1 Brainstorm after landing the Jitte and never ever drew one fucking creature for the rest of the game and he killed me from 17 or 18 life down to 0
    This was one of the most shitty games of magic I ever played...The ponders always showed me land, land, land -> shuffle -> land.
    Well you cant beat the Magic gods...

Round 5: NicFit Won 2-1
    I lost game one to a zenithed Sigarda which killed my Jace and then me...My both 5/6 Tarmogoyfs ans shaman were deeded away.
    I won game two and three after I killed two Shamans on his side with maelstrom pulse and wasted him...He missed his Therapys to sac his explorer in game two and three so I could manascrew him. Leovold + Tarmogyof + Strix killed him finally. I also had needle on Sensei´s top and a Jace on the battlefield which were super strong.

After that I played a 3 match game vs a Buddy of mine with 4c Deathblade and won 2:1. The games were always decided by TNN and Leovold which is a house in those MU.

The result was not good but it´s still ok because the games which I lost were not very good MU´s in general and super close. It was still frustrating because I knew the meta before (3 Elves 2 Burn) and changed my Sideboard with -2 Diabolic Edict +1 Jitte +1 Cage and never drew one of them when I really needed it...

I would cut the cage on bigger event for sure because I really want 2 Edicts in the SB for opposing TNN´s, Marit Large Tokens or big dudes like emrakul/Griselbrand and so on...
    The 2 Hymns were ok but not super great tbh. The 1 Bayou felt good in the manabase and I think I will keep it for now. I marked the 2 hymn with a edding to see what would have been my 3rd Goyf or my 3rd TS and there were some situations especially vs burn where I would have prefered the Goyf over the Hymn but other games where it didnt really matter...
    I drew the Goyfs quite alot even if I only played two.

The MVP´s were definitely Snapcaster Mage, Fatal Push and the TNN´s. Leovold was great vs the 4c Deathblade list but in the other MU´s I did not draw him very much or he was just a 3/3 which drew me one card. I was really happy with Thoughtseize and was able to snag away the NO all the time.

One problematic thing I noticed was that I wanted to bring in 6 cards vs Elves but really just could cut 5 from the MD which sucked a bit. I also recognized that when I cut 2 Goyfs and maybe 1 strix vs Elves I only have 13 creatures left (I bring in 1 Clique) which is not super consistent with the 2 Jitte plan. The same goes for the burn MU where I cut 2 TNN because they´re to clunky and slow in this MU. It´s even worse against burn because I dont bring in Clique which means I only have 12-13 creatures left...

My boarding plan vs Elves was:
    + 2 Toxic Deluge
    + 1 Umezawas Jitte
    + 1 Pithing Needle
    + 1 Grafdiggers Cage
    + 1 Vendilion Clique

- 2 Tarmogoyf
    - 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    - 1 Sylvan Library
    - 1 Baleful Strix
    - xx (Here´s the problem)

I dont want to board out another Strix because then I play really not many creatures for the 2 Jitte and my blue count for FoW goes also in an unconsistent direction which is dangerous because I have to counter the NO.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Any results or some feedback you guys want to share? Lots of people threw in there decklists one or two weeks ago. Would be cool to hear what results you guys had.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

I am unsure if this is where I should be posting but I have a question on sideboarding, below are my decklist and sideboard

Land (21)
    1x Bayou
    1x Forest
    1x Island
    2x Misty Rainforest
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Tropical Island
    3x Underground Sea
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Wasteland

Sorcery (4)
    2x Ponder
    2x Thoughtseize

Instant (16)
    3x Abrupt Decay
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Daze
    2x Fatal Push
    4x Force of Will
    Creature (14)
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    2x Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    4x Noble Hierarch
    4x True-Name Nemesis

Enchantment (1)
    1x Sylvan Library

Artifact (1)
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Planeswalker (3)
    3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard (15)
    1x Dread of Night
    2x Fatal Push
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    1x Painful Truths
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Submerge
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Thoughtseize
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

I am wondering how I sideboard vs the Dredge matchups. For Dredge I am going

+2 Push, +2 Surgical, +1 Nihil, +1 Thoughtseize, -3 Jace, -1 Sylvan, -1 Jitte, -1 Leovold

I'm not too confidant on what I'm siding out, is it right? Also is Pithing Needle worth bringing in to stop Street Wraith/Phantasmogorian? Is there anything else I should be siding out?

Quote Originally Posted by centurion911 View Post
    I'm not too confidant on what I'm siding out, is it right? Also is Pithing Needle worth bringing in to stop Street Wraith/Phantasmogorian? Is there anything else I should be siding out?
    Those are okay cuts, though you have to watch your blue count - FoW is reasonable enough disruption that dropping to 18 blue cards is not great.

Fatal Push is not very good. Occasionally I guess you hit a Narcomoeba with no Bridges in the yard, or kill your own dork to wipe their Bridges, but a 2-card combo to slow one of their lines of attack is not Plan A.

Flusterstorm is better to bring in than 2 Pushes, for Looting / Breakthrough / protect Surgical against early Therapy, and is blue.
    I'd consider the 5 maindeck kill-removal spots to be bad, and maybe you want Jace over some number of Decay. (If there are no mediocre cards, probably you cut Decays for Pushes in the board, but again, they're really not very useful.)
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

I am wondering how I sideboard vs the Dredge matchups. For Dredge I am going

+2 Push, +2 Surgical, +1 Nihil, +1 Thoughtseize, -3 Jace, -1 Sylvan, -1 Jitte, -1 Leovold

I'm not too confidant on what I'm siding out, is it right? Also is Pithing Needle worth bringing in ...?
    Flusterstorm, Nihil and Surgical are your best sb cards to bring in. Seize is good on the play but risky on the draw because they might use up all of their non-dredgers on T1 on the play, after which your Seize is accelerating them by hitting a dredger.

Combination of 3-4 Push/Decay (leaving 1-2 in to primarily hit your own team), 2 Jace (leaving 1 in) and 1 Leovold/TNN is what I would probably sb out. Leaving in the Library to filter for additional hate cards in mid-game is the right choice IMO. Leaving in 1 Jitte is more controversial, but it's likely to be better than an extra Push/Decay by having the versatility of killing your own guy with counters to get rid of bridges, boosting TNN damage output to outrace them or using life gain to get 1 extra turn in a bind.

Needle usefulness depends on what list they run. Completely useless against some lists, semi-useful against most. Flusterstorm is typically way better than Needle because you want to hit their discard outlets. Needle can shut off e.g. Cephalid Coliseum, but by the time that's relevant something has probably gone wrong already.

That's good to know, I will definitely be siding out some decays and be playing Flusterstorm in the matchup.

Is Fluster worth playing vs Elves? My biggest fears in that matchup are Glimpse and NO but I don't know if Fluster will be enough to stop it.

That's good to know, I will definitely be siding out some decays and be playing Flusterstorm in the matchup.

Is Fluster worth playing vs Elves? My biggest fears in that matchup are Glimpse and NO but I don't know if Fluster will be enough to stop it.
    It's fine against them: Making them pay +2 on Glimpse is often enough to ruin the turn. Many combo-turn Natural Orders are effectively hard-countered. An untap-and-NO might stick them with a non-lethal team if they need to tap guys to pay. Catching a key GSZ can be functional removal and break up their combo. Etc.
    Of course it's possible that it's dead, but it's probably better than Abrupt Decay (and it's blue).
    It looks like you have a lot to bring in, so they always could be your worst inclusion, but Jace/Daze are among your likely cuts, which sinks the blue count quite a bit (probably to 18 without flusterstorms, 20 with). So, I'd say they come in.

On a related note, you might want consider the removal package out of the board some, and most answers to opposing TNN would also likely help against Elves. You have 12 creature-hate cards in the 75, but no answers to TNN, a Grixis Angler, Reality Smasher, Marit Lage, JTMS etc. Pulse/Edict/Murderous Cut/Dismember or Engineered Explosives/ Marsh Casualties/Toxic Deluge/that new 2B -1/-1 instant could be considerations.
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

Quote Originally Posted by anwei View Post
    On a related note, you might want an out to opposing TNN somewhere, and that would likely help against Elves. (Engineered Explosives, Marsh Casualties, Toxic Deluge, or that new 2B -1/-1 instant.)

This is a strictly better version of Make Obsolete. You get the freeroll of the white side of the card if you have Deathrite out, which could keep your TNNs alive against opposing sweepers.

Of course Zealous Persecution is worlds better than either of these cards. Is it possibly worth splashing for it in the sideboard? Maybe we run a white dual in the sideboard like Shardless used to do when it played Meddling Mage. That could open up cool anti-combo cards like Mage, Containment Priest, Ethersworn Canonist, etc. - cheap threats to bring in when TNN is too clunky. A white splash is easier in the Hierarch builds, of course, but it's something I've been thinking about.

I had no idea that was a card; thanks. I've been seeing Make Obsolete show up and thinking, "did this really not exist at instant at 3 CMC?"

I expect that most metas will be affected deeply enough by Fatal Push (and the upswing TNN was already on) that nimble threats and versatile removal will be table stakes in creature matches for a bit. I get nervous putting together lists with a swarm of Decay/Push that are just cold to the aforementioned threats. Angler seems like a good place to be, and I think BUG should be considering lists that can play Lily as a grindy card that can answer some otherwise difficult threats.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Do not side out Umezawa's Jitte against Dredge, as it can single-handedly help you win the game against that deck. Repeatable removal and life-gain is key there.

Regarding White splash: I don't think this version of BUG really needs to, since unlike Cascade we are able to play situational counterspells. White does provide some pretty good options, but I think BUG has plenty of tools to cover just about anything without needing to dip into a 4th color.

edit: also, don't cut Leovold against Dredge either. He's relevant against Cabal Therapy, Breakthrough, Faithless Looting, Careful Study, Cephalid Coliseum, etc.

Jun 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    Any results or some feedback you guys want to share? Lots of people threw in there decklists one or two weeks ago. Would be cool to hear what results you guys had.
    I'm playing this list right now:

CREATURES (15)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Tombstalker

SORCERIES (8)
    4 Ponder
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Marsh Casualties

INSTANTS (16)
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Daze
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Kolaghan’s Command

PLANESWALKERS (1)

LANDS (20)
    3 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands

SIDEBOARD (15)
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Forked Bolt
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Life from the Loam

I think that the red splash actually improves the deck a fair bit. Especially the blasts give it a lot of edge vs miracles and the Leo/TNN mirror.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    Hey guys,
    This was the list I played:

15 Creatures

4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Tarmogoyf

25 Spells
    4 Force of Will
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Hymn to Tourach

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Fatal Push
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Sylvan Library

20 Lands
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

One problematic thing I noticed was that I wanted to bring in 6 cards vs Elves but really just could cut 5 from the MD which sucked a bit. I also recognized that when I cut 2 Goyfs and maybe 1 strix vs Elves I only have 13 creatures left (I bring in 1 Clique) which is not super consistent with the 2 Jitte plan. The same goes for the burn MU where I cut 2 TNN because they´re to clunky and slow in this MU. It´s even worse against burn because I dont bring in Clique which means I only have 12-13 creatures left...

My boarding plan vs Elves was:
    + 2 Toxic Deluge
    + 1 Umezawa's Jitte
    + 1 Pithing Needle
    + 1 Grafdiggers Cage
    + 1 Vendilion Clique

- 2 Tarmogoyf
    - 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    - 1 Sylvan Library
    - 1 Baleful Strix
    - xx (Here´s the problem)

I dont want to board out another Strix because then I play really not many creatures for the 2 Jitte and my blue count for FoW goes also in an unconsistent direction which is dangerous because I have to counter the NO.

I don't know if you keep it postside, but I'm pretty sure I don't want Thoughtseize against burn because it's deceively useful: you think that you're spending 2 life to take out a card that will deal you 3 or more damages, but in reality you are hurting yourself and speeding the clock of the burn player.
    You are using your mana to deal yourself damage and it's not like you're discarding a key spell (like against a combo deck) because all the spells in burn do the same thing: so in one turn, for instance, you will take 5 damage and take out a card from burn instead of taking 3 and advancing your board, or countering the burn spell itself.
    The odds that the burn player will draw another burn spell are in their favor, so the card you took out basically didn't matter for them. Instead of discarding the price of progress tha will deal you 6 damage in the future, you should advance your board and counter it when it'll come.

With your list against burn I would side as follow
    -2 Thoughtseize, -1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, -1 Sylvan Library, -1 Abrupt decay, -1 TNN
    +2 Spell Pierce, +2 Flusterstorm, +1 Umezawa's Jitte, +1 Vendilion

Against Elves I think that Decay is not as strong as you're other options because it costs too much to take out a single piece, and giving that you are bringing in 2 mass removals plus a Jitte I would take out a decay, maybe even 2 if you want to keep the second strix maindeck.

Just my 2 cents.
    Ignorance is strength

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I've been playing something very close to Duke's GP maindeck (-1 Hierarch, -1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, +2 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar) with a smattering of sideboard changes (the only noteworthy one is -1 Mindbreak Trap, +1 Spell Pierce). Nissa has been surprisingly good in basically all fair matchups, breaking symmetry in TNN mirrors, giving me additional resistance to sweepers, being a threat in its in right (and making all the extra mana dorks much more threatening). I haven't missed the third Jace at all.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Nissa has been surprisingly good in basically all fair matchups, breaking symmetry in TNN mirrors, giving me additional resistance to sweepers, being a threat in its in right (and making all the extra mana dorks much more threatening). I haven't missed the third Jace at all.
    In what MUs if any is the Nissa better than 1BB Liliana in that slot? Liliana can also break the TNN symmetry if she gets to make the opponent sacrifice theirs.

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

At the end of Ben Friedman's article about group constructed, he talks about his disappointment with Delver as an archetype and the decisions prompting his experimentation with BUG Midrange. He posted a video of a league with an early iteration of the deck and then 5-0d with this list (pretty sure that's him).

Notable inclusions:

- maindeck Marsh Casualties
    - two Liliana, the Last Hope
    - four Snapcasters alongside three Anglers (helped by the Lilis and two Thought Scours)
    - zero True-Names
    - no maindeck discard but five pieces in the sideboard

Anyone have any thoughts? At first glance, this list looks weak against combo in game 1 and very soft to Rest in Peace (and taxing on the graveyard in general), but it's gotta be pretty resilient in fair matchups and brings in a ton of disruption for combo post-sideboard.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    In what MUs if any is the Nissa better than 1BB Liliana in that slot? Liliana can also break the TNN symmetry if she gets to make the opponent sacrifice theirs.
    You need to be pretty deep on spot removal to make Liliana of the Veil a reliable answer to TNN, which that deck isn't. Noble BUG also doesn't produce BB as reliably as GG or UU, which is a real consideration. She also plays poorly with countermagic, which the deck runs more of than it runs discard. Nissa not only fogs creatures like Gurmag Angler forever, the +1/+1 counters often turn your mediocre lategame mana dorks into real threats, and she's much better at defending herself in Noble BUG than Liliana is since you don't have as many expendable (or awkwardly-sized) bodies to chump with as something like Shardless does, and is MUCH better against Miracles, especially Mentor versions.

Quote Originally Posted by theMonster View Post
    At the end of Ben Friedman's article about group constructed, he talks about his disappointment with Delver as an archetype and the decisions prompting his experimentation with BUG Midrange. He posted a video of a league with an early iteration of the deck and then 5-0d with this list (pretty sure that's him).

Notable inclusions:

- maindeck Marsh Casualties
    - two Liliana, the Last Hope
    - four Snapcasters alongside three Anglers (helped by the Lilis and two Thought Scours)
    - zero True-Names
    - no maindeck discard but five pieces in the sideboard

Anyone have any thoughts? At first glance, this list looks weak against combo in game 1 and very soft to Rest in Peace (and taxing on the graveyard in general), but it's gotta be pretty resilient in fair matchups and brings in a ton of disruption for combo post-sideboard.
    It seems fine; I tried Liliana, the Last Hope in Shardless when it first came out and it was fine overall and actually better against Miracles and D&T. I'll watch the video, but the deck is very much Friedman's style (Scour, Angler, and Snapcaster Mage are among his favorite cards). I disagree on some of his minor points (there are multiple ways to build the manabase for Hymn/Liliana/Tombstalker BUG Delver lists, and most of those have better mana than 4c Delver over the whole game, though they're subject to similar awkwardness early on) but BUG, Grixis, and 4 colors-not-white seem to form their own province of Legacy deckbuilding at the moment (and arguably constitute their own macro-archetype). There's certainly nothing wrong with his list on spec, though it's not some inspired, we-should-all-run-his-exact-75 feat of deckbuilding genius either.

Oct 2014
    Rockland, NY

A store about 30 minutes away from me started doing Legacy FNM, so I went there instead of going to the store within walking distance that does draft for FNM.

Here's my list:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Leovold
    3 Tarmogoyf
    3 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Fatal Push
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Counterspell

1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Jace the Mindsculptor

3 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Wasteland
    9 Fetchlands
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp

SB:

2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Invasive Surgery
    2 Duress
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Marsh Casualties

R1 vs. RUG Delver

This is a friend of mine who used to play at the store I usually go to. He's been playing RUG Delver for a long time and has a foiled out deck. He also assumed that I was also on RUG Delver since I played it a lot several years ago.

G1: He gets a T1 Delver that flips and he stays ahead via Daze, Force and Stifle. I get RUG'd out and couldn't find a Decay to get rid of the Delver.

SB: -4 FoW, -1 Jace, +1 Sylvan Library, +1 Vendilion Clique, +1 Jitte, +1 Flusterstorm

I made a mistake sideboarding here. I haven't played against RUG in a long time and completely forgot about Nimble Mongoose. With that in mind, Jitte becomes quite a bit worse since I have plenty of removal already for Goyf and Delver. I should have brought in the Edicts for the geese.

G2: This game goes a bit longer. He has the bolt for my T1 Deathrite and eventually gets 2 Mongeese with Threshold. I can't find a fatty to keep them back and die while staring at 2 Abrupt Decays in my hand.

Loss 0-1

R2 vs. Merfolk

G1: He has no Vial on T1 and I stay ahead of his lords with removal. He eventually draws a Cavern and slams down a True-Name. He's already ahead in life, and I can't race it.

SB: -4 Force of Will, -1 JtMS, +1 Jitte, +1 Pithing Needle, +2 Marsh Casualties, +1 Vendilion Clique

G2: He keeps a one lander with a vial. I decay the vial and get kill him with a Tarmogoyf wearing a Jitte.

G3: Similar to G2, he keeps a 1 lander with a Vial except this time I don't have Decay. I have a T1 Deathrite, and use it for mana for the first 3 turns so I'm ahead of him on plays. I TS him and see a bunch of Silvergill Adepts and a Back to Basics, so I fetch my 2 basics to stay play around it. I land an early Jitte and get counters on it with a tiny Goyf against his lord and Cursecatcher. I make a mistake here and instead of just killing his lord, I pass the turn and let him tick his vial up to 2. I then try to kill his lord during the attack step and of course he vials in another lord. I should have just killed the lord on my turn when his vial was on 1. I then grow my goyfs to 4/5s by throwing Ponder into his Chalice on 1 and Wasteland a land. He takes the 8 in an attempt to race, which is hard against a Jitte. I eventually land a True-Name and he concedes since I have an active Jitte.

Win 1-1

Round 3 vs Death and Taxes

G1: I don't have a lot of notes for this round. I know G1 he was choked on mana but has an active vial. I made a huge punt here. My hand has a JtMS in hand and I have 4 lands against his Thalia. For some reason, I decided I need to resolve this JtMS so I abrupt decay his Thalia and he bounces it with Karakas. I then wasteland the Karakas after he does this. I should have decayed his vial and then Wastelanded the Karakas to make the 2 Flickerwisps in his hand uncastable. I eventually lose when he plays Recruiter into Mirran Crusader and can't find a True Name.

Out: -4 Force, -1 Jace, +1 Needle, +2 Marsh Casualties, +1 Jitte, +1 Edict

G2: Not much to say here. I have a Jitte out but he has Swords for 2 of my creatures. He eventually gets 2 Mirran Crusaders. On the turn he has lethal I finally draw a TNN.

Loss 1-2

So, punts were of course made.

I really wish I had an Island instead of a Forest. Jace and FoW came out in every match, and walking around the room I saw a lot of creature decks being played. If I ever go back, I might run Lili instead of a Jace.

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

Won FNM last night (3-0-1), beating Turbo Depths, drawing with Bant Blade (lots of Batterskull/TNN stare downs), and beating DnT twice. Here's what I played:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Tarmogoyf
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Tombstalker

2 Fatal Push
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder

2 Thoughtseize
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare
    4 Force of Will

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Wasteland

// sideboard //

2 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Painful Truths

The singleton Goyf looks weird, of course. I never drew it, so I have no idea if it's better than the third Strix I normally play. I just figured that I wanted access to an efficient beater in combo matchups. I boarded it out against all the Swords to Plowshares decks in favor of the Clique. The maindeck Marsh Casualties was a concession to TNN, Grixis Delver, Belcher, and two DnT pilots in the room, and I was glad I had it. I tried cutting Sylvan Library for this FNM, but I think it was a mistake.

A few things:

- I find myself bringing in Clique in almost every matchup. Should I just play it over the Goyf and free up a sideboard slot? I just worry about the glut of 3-drops with only Deathrite as acceleration.

- How would you sideboard against Turbo Depths with my list? I've played a few matches against it but don't have a set plan. I basically won both my games by racing them/playing a tempo game. I think I boarded something like this - probably wrong:

-1 Jitte, -2 Decay, -2 Push, -1 Casualties, -1 TNN, -2 Leovold, -1 Jace
    +2 Needle, +2 Surgical, +1 Flusterstorm, +1 Thoughtseize, +1 Clique, +2 Edict, +1 Surgery

Jace seems like it might be a viable out to a resolved Marit Lage if I can block for a turn, so maybe that should stay in. I left in one Decay for their Pithing Needles - don't know if that's worth it or not. I didn't bring in the full three Surgicals because I can't Thoughtseize Dark Depths and then Extract it. Plus they're probably not dropping Depths until they're ready to go off. I could Hymn it and hit it, but that's a corner case. Leovold seems like it doesn't do much, even though all of the opponent's discard targets. Maybe it's better than TNN, but they can't Decay the latter. I left the second Flusterstorm in the 'board 'cuz I didn't know what else to take out. Again, there's probably something I'm missing with this plan, so I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts.

- I've been leaving in one Force of Will against DnT to combat early Vial draws if I don't have a Decay/Needle and (more importantly) Council's Judgment for my TNN. One of my DnT opponents said Spell Pierce (which I've been boarding out) might just be better than Force to fulfill that role. Anyone else agree?

Thanks, everyone!

Thread Information