Page 74 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2464707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1599

Thread: [Deck] Team America (Midrange/Control Thread)

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [Deck] Team America (Midrange/Control Thread)

Played this pile in a 72 man tournament at Card Kingdom:

BUG cards I own:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Tarmogoyf
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder

2 Thoughtseize
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Force of Will

3 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Dead Weight
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Toxic Deluge

Record was:

Patrick on RUG Delver: 2-1
    Josh on UWr Miracle/Landstill/Myth Realized: 1-2
    Randy on Elves: 0-2
    Ryan on Merfolk: 2-1
    Richard on Burning Omnishow: 2-1
    Gary on Aggro Loam: 2-1
    James on Storm: 1-2

4-3 final record.

1) Deck felt solid, but Elves feels extremely tough.

2) TNN was a house

3) Sequencing lands is hard and I totally ruined myself g3 vs Miracles, though my opponent had a good hand that probably could have dealt with what I could have played anyways

4) All matchups were very close (except Elves, that time I just got stomped).

Though this was a fun take, I think I'll switch back to BUG Delver for the GP. Thanks for reading!

Apr 2017
    Brazil, Santa Catarina

Andrea Mengucci playing the Sultai Control for second time.

This is list was the same that Lukas played at GP Madrid.

He made a few missplays, but in the end, who never did?! =P

Anyway, is a good source of info.

https://www.channelfireball.com/vide...el-mengucci-2/

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Everything we need to know about Sultai Leovold in Legacy, according to Lukas Blohon.

His approach is really BUG Delver-ish with 4 Tourach MB, even though a full playset of Ponders looks a bit too much. I still see a Liliana of the Veil as a fine replacement for the 4th copy of the cantrip.

Talking about the sideboard, the inclusion of a Nihil Spellbomb over the 3rd SE is probably a way to have an answer to Ground Seal decks (see ANT) and even if it's a bit slower than the terrific Phyrexian spell, his decision makes sense to me. What I don't like? Toxic Deluge.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Apr 2017
    Brazil, Santa Catarina

Hey, Guys!

A BUG Midrange pilot and other 3 players split the top 4 at 3k tournament.

It's Nice to see the deck raise in popularity :D

Hey guys I'm new to 'The Source' and I first wanted to play BUG Delver before I found this sweet BUG Control pile.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with this list but I played Czech Pile before so I'm a little bit familiar with the playstyle.
    I stopped playing Czech because of the greedy manabase and the lack of wastelands. I'm glad that BUG Control manages to do all the things I missed.

Here's my first approach for BUG Control (it's based on the Blohon list):

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Wasteland

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2 True-Name Nemesis

3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will

4 Ponder
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Thoughtseize

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Hydroblast
    2 Marsh Casualties
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Thoughtseize

I thought of replacing one Hymn for a second Thoughtseize in the Maindeck.
    I'm also not sure about the 3 Abrupt Decays. I like the full playset of Fatal Push from Blohon's List but I hate chalice on 1 so much that I decided to play a 3-3 split.
    What's your experience with 2 Decay - 4 Push? Are 3 Decays too clunky?

Hi All,

Just wondering how the DnT matchup seems to be for you guys. I playtested about 13 games last night against two different DnT players, and managed to drop every single game. The match seems to just devolve into who sticks Crusader or TrueName first.

Admittedly, I'm still learning the deck... coming from a stint playing BUG Delver instead. Maybe I'm just having a hard time adjusting my play to the different deck.

My list is not quite the "standard", as I don't currently have access to Snapcaster or a second Jace.

Main
    15 Creatures
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Tarmogoyf
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    3 True-Name Nemesis

4 Planeswalkers
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

20 Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fatal Push
    3 Ponder
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Diabolic Edict
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Force of Will

21 Lands
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Duress
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Tsabo's Web
    1 Sylvan Library

I think I should add a couple of Marsh Casualties in SB, possibly in place of Dread or Charm.

Any advice?

May 2014

Quote Originally Posted by csanders View Post
    Hi All,

Just wondering how the DnT matchup seems to be for you guys. I playtested about 13 games last night against two different DnT players, and managed to drop every single game. The match seems to just devolve into who sticks Crusader or TrueName first....

Any advice?
    Play more Jitte. With 3 TNN, I'd want 1 MD and an additional in the board.

I love the 2x Marsh Casualties in my board for DnT/TNN/Pyro/Elves, but Dread is def better vs. DnT specifically. I do think MC is better than Charm (vs. DnT and in general). But the real answer is more Jitte.

Quote Originally Posted by robx13 View Post
    Hey all,

Picked up Sultai midrange again and been playing it at my locals at Dark Sphere, London the last few weeks.

Key feature is 3 Daze, no planeswalkers. In short, just trying to leverage Wastelands against fair decks, more T1 interaction against broken stuff, don't think PWs are necessary to win in a TNN deck, easy to side Dazes out. This is a non-negotiable aspect of the deck for me now. If I want to play a Jace deck I'll play miracles instead (though I could see playing 1 in the 75 somewhere anyway, not two). Currently the Jitte is the 60th card in the deck, could be a Snapcaster, 4th TNN, 2nd Tombstalker, 2nd Library... and I'm currently torn between Abrupt Decay/Pithing Needle/Null Rod (and swapping the Jitte) as the 15th sideboard card. Otherwise I feel very good about the list. I'm 8-3-1 the last three weeks, but it could be better as I'd say at least one of those losses was certainly winnable and the draw too was avoidable as I could/should have won the G1.

Two reasons I'm posting. I'm not looking for feedback or suggestions about the list for now really, but suggesting it as a different take on the deck that people may or may not want to try. Daze without Delver does look wonky but I honestly think its a necessity if you're trying to have game against everything in the format (which I am).
    4-0 at my local this week with the following list, taking me to 19-4-1 in paper events with the deck the 5 of the last 6 weeks that I've played it:

R1 vs. Food Chain: 2-1
    R2 vs. Miracles: 2-0
    R3 vs. Goblins: 2-1
    R4 vs. Temur Delver: 2-0

The main deck is more or less locked for EU Eternal Weekend and GP Birmingham, but I don't think the Lili in the board is at all necessary owning to 3 TNNs and 3 sweepers for creature matchups, and I'll go back to either a Decay or a Flustersorm in that slot next time I play.

4-0 at my local this week with the following list, taking me to 19-4-1 in paper events with the deck the 5 of the last 6 weeks that I've played it:

The main deck is more or less locked for EU Eternal Weekend and GP Birmingham, but I don't think the Lili in the board is at all necessary owning to 3 TNNs and 3 sweepers for creature matchups, and I'll go back to either a Decay or a Flustersorm in that slot next time I play.
    Mostly play BUG Delver but dable with BUG Control cause at some point you get annoyed when Delver doesnt flip...

This list looks interesting, like its leaning towards Delver side of things with Dazes and no Planeswalkers main.

How is your Lands matchup?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hey, y'all. Just got BUG Control and was wondering if you guys knew of anyone who streams it. I know I need to practice with it a bunch, but I feel like I learn a lot quicker by watching other people play. Thanks.

is it worth trying to find space for spell pierces? Id really love to have access to that MB if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Amazingxkcd View Post
    is it worth trying to find space for spell pierces? Id really love to have access to that MB if possible
    Are you not main boarding a Flusterstorm already?

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Saw a pretty spicy Bug Ctrl deck with the Marit Lage package (Crop Rotations + utility lands) and wasn't able to find the proper thread. Should we discuss it right here?
    TEAM MtG Berlin

So dismissive.
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Apr 2017
    Brazil, Santa Catarina

Quote Originally Posted by meffeo View Post
    Saw a pretty spicy Bug Ctrl deck with the Marit Lage package (Crop Rotations + utility lands) and wasn't able to find the proper thread. Should we discuss it right here?
    This one?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Lucifer View Post
    Are you not main boarding a Flusterstorm already?

you mainboard flusterstorms?

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    True indeed. It may add another angle of attack to the deck. Moreover, I like the instant-speed tutorable answers in form of Bog/Cabal Pit/combo piece. But why 61 cards
    TEAM MtG Berlin

So dismissive.

Hey, I'm currently on the Dezani list that got 2nd at GP Seattle and was wondering in what match-ups Bitterblossom shines. So far the only ones I can think of are Lands, Miracles, and Czech Pile. Is it worth it vs. Grixis? Losing life every turn sucks, but the fact that I can chump everything but TNN each turn seems decent. Thoughts?

Nov 2017
    Shanghai, China

Hey dude. Congrats.

Could u pls share more about how you defeat food chain? Any card from should be specially taken care of?

Quote Originally Posted by ReinhardtGao View Post
    Hey dude. Congrats.

Could u pls share more about how you defeat food chain? Any card from should be specially taken care of?
    Sure will do, travelling back from EW tomorrow, I'll post about it on Monday when I'm not so tired. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ReinhardtGao View Post
    Hey dude. Congrats.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Along with Aluren, it's a really tough matchup. The BUG Leovold mirrors are already basically a coin flip; one player draws more Deathrites and Leovolds than the other draws removal and then they win. But on top of that, Food Chain has a combo that you have to respect and also the value of Manipulate Fate > cast 3/3 flyers every turn which you basically can't beat. You're leaning on Hymn pretty heavily and trying to stick a TNN, Leo or Tombstalker early to win before they can recover. In addition, your Wastelands are mostly useless as they have access to 3-4 basics usually. Out of the board you want to be able to bring in 1-2x Marsh Casualties, 1x Toxic Deluge, 1x Snapcaster Mage, 1x Liliana the Last Hope and 1x Invasive Surgery as well as potentially the Painful Truths, Thoughtseizes and the Null Rod, which shuts off Walking Ballista but does little else. My last opponent had Relic Of Progenitus as well so I felt it was worth it but not sure overall. To make room, I'm sure I want to cut the Wastelands and a Diabolic Edict, and then some number of Dazes depending on play/draw, True-Names which gets a bit worse post board, and perhaps also the basic Island if you're feeling aggressive. Usually Force Of Will is the first thing I'd board out in a GB mirror, but stopping Manipulate Fate from resolving is too important and countering a Leovold is fine too; maybe 2-3 copies is sufficient however. I'm not entirely sure what's correct and could use more practice at it, but I hope that's helpful to you.

Onto Eternal Weekend... Earned a bye going 4-1 in a trial on the Friday morning. Results:

R1 vs. Grixis Delver: 2-0
    R2 vs. ANT: 0-2 (I got totally outplayed by an excellent opponent, unsuprised to see them 5-0 the trial and at the top tables for most of the main event.)
    R3 vs. Aluren: 2-1
    R4 vs. Infect: 2-0 (I'm 4-0 against our local Infect player, have to believe it's an excellent matchup
    R5 vs. Belcher 2-1

Main event ended up a relatively disappointing 6-3 for 38th place overall:

R1 BYE
    R2 vs. Elves 1-2 (This is the first time I've ever lost to Elves with a BUG list, particularly frustrating as I fought back from being down 8 permanents vs. my 1 basic Swamp in G2 to put them DOB, only for them to topdeck their 1 remaining Nissa on the final turn. But it was a well-fought match by my opponent too so not to discredit them.)
    R3 vs. Tin Fins 2-0
    R4 vs. BUG Delver 2-0 (Fairly sure my opponent tried to cheat in G2, they were DOB, played a Tombstalker which I dazed, they tried to exile a card from their GY to pay for it. Judge simply ruled they couldn't do it, no warning even.)
    R5 vs. Grixis Delver 1-2 (Played a terrible G3 and deserved to lose despite my opponent making some big mistakes too. Truth told I was feeling a bit off it this round and played a bit scared.)
    R6 vs. Esper Deathblade 2-1
    R7 vs. Miracles 2-1 (Against a friend who I consider probably one of the best Miracles players in the world, intense match, lots of fun! Got pretty lucky to win it in time!)
    R8. vs. Sneak and Show 2-0
    R9. vs BUG midrange 1-2 (Leovold mirrors are dumb, none of the games were particularly close)

The list was the same except for a 1-of Stifle in the board over the Liliana, because I was expecting a fair amount of Turbo-Depths and also it's a useful card against Grixis Delver, Storm and Miracles and totally reasonable to just side in anytime you're on the play against a deck with fetchlands. It didn't disappoint. Moving forwards, I really want to find space for a second Tombstalker because it's basically the best card in the deck when you can resolve it and the best realistic mirror-breaker. I've cut the Spell Pierce for now which can be a little too high variance and doesn't mesh with the tap-out style of the rest of the deck. In the sideboard, I'm fine with the Stifle but I'm still looking for other options. If I can get my hands on one in time I'm going to try a Liliana's Defeat for tonight's local event as another card for DRS/Leovold/Gurmag Angler decks where the main way that you lose is due to your opponent sticking one of those cards.

Any further questions about matchups, please ask away!

Thread Information