Page 96 of 217 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 4327

Thread: [Deck] Dredge

Re: [DTB] Dredge

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    You won't even get Dread Return in a Manaless build with this on the table. All we'll have are Ichorids and Nether Shadows. (And to a lesser extent Narcomoebas.)

This creature is devastating to Dredge if it hits the table. And on a side-note, Dryad Militant seems outstanding in Vintage.
    Hence why I want to go manaless. No point in running DR and other sorceries when I can't use them. Basically, we max out creatures that can come into play.
    My MTG Blog
    "The game is not worth the candle."

Quote Originally Posted by Pltnmngl View Post
    Hence why I want to go manaless. No point in running DR and other sorceries when I can't use them. Basically, we max out creatures that can come into play.
    But that just makes no sense. You can't tailor the entire archetype to combat one creature. The best course of action is to let the craziness surrounding it to die down for a while and strike when the iron is hot.

You're not winning a game with four Nether Shadows and four Ichorids against a deck running multiples of this card. There's a good chance given its application that it would be run in some sort of Aggro shell, perhaps Maverick, that already runs Swords and Paths. It's too much of an uphill battle to climb, not to mention you putting them on the play allows them to drop it turn one and effectively put the game on ice.

I'm not suggesting it is an 'auto-win' card, but without Therapies and Dread Returns, this is going to do some serious damage. If you're going Manaless as I already have, it might not be a bad idea to run Sickening Shoal - and potentially Contagion - main.

Feb 2012
    Belo Horizonte/MG, Brazil

Darkblast will be useful in this case. Especially when the deck runs too much */1 important creatures (hierarch, mother, Thalia, arbor, elves, delver, mongoose, etc)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Pltnmngl View Post
    Yup. This is going to be a beating. I'm thinking of changing to a Manaless build and relying less on playing spells.
    So you're going to prevent losing to the 1-drop Maverick creature by going all-in and making the 2-drop Maverick creature (Scavenging Ooze) a blowout?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    So you're going to prevent losing to the 1-drop Maverick creature by going all-in and making the 2-drop Maverick creature (Scavenging Ooze) a blowout?
    If you play Contagion and Sickening Shoal, neither should be a problem. Dryad Militant doesn't do anything against a turn one discarded dredger, and during your upkeep you can just Shoal or Contagion and go from there.

Of course, Thalia is a problem in that circumstance. If the Maverick player has Dryad Militant turn one into Thalia turn two, well, there isn't much you can do anyhow in that circumstance (unless post-board you have the land and are able to Contagion them both out). I think you really want to run Shoal or Contagion or a combination of both in Manaless right now main either way.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

If for any other reason, manaless dredge has the advantage of being able to run such cards, as Contagion and Sickening Shoal, without losing much of its power, while the other dredge lists will have to rely, once again, on Firestorm to deal with creatures.

This card has a higher impact against dredge than one might think. 2/1 for and disrupt the faster part of our combo (narcomoebas need something to work with) as well as our main disruptive/protective effect (cabal therapy), giving a clock to the opponent as well.

Let's hope Ichorid and Firestorm are strong enough, so that this hate doesn't get played.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    If for any other reason, manaless dredge has the advantage of being able to run such cards, as Contagion and Sickening Shoal, without losing much of its power, while the other dredge lists will have to rely, once again, on Firestorm to deal with creatures.

This card has a higher impact against dredge than one might think. 2/1 for and disrupt the faster part of our combo (narcomoebas need something to work with) as well as our main disruptive/protective effect (cabal therapy), giving a clock to the opponent as well.

Let's hope Ichorid and Firestorm are strong enough, so that this hate doesn't get played.
    This also makes Street Wraith slightly better than it already is in Manaless. If an opponent swings in with Dryad Militant after you've discarded your first card for the turn, you can cycle it and possibly hit a Narcomoeba to trade. Just a line of play you can take.

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

This Dryad Militant won't see play from Maverick. It does nothing besides shutting down Snapcaster Mage, which Ooze already does well.

The only deck that might play this card as a four-of is Zoo, because what killed Zoo in the first place was Snapcaster Mage (and Batterskull, to some extent). Moreover, Tribal is rising again, and Zoo is well known as the tribal slayer, so it might push the deck to Tier 1. I said might.

Dredge didn't get anything from RtR so far, but I hope the next edition in the block brings us some Dredge stuff.

If you guys are worried about this Dryad guy, just go Quadlaser and make Ichorid laugh at the girl.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think the Dryad will see play as a GSZ target in Maverick. It's not aggro, but the effect it provides is still useful for the Maverick game-plan in the 75.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Feb 2012
    Northwest

It's interesting to see the Maverick thread discussing the Dryad. They seem split on whether it fits or not. My gut says it will become a 1x main deck choice to be a GSZ target against the decks it works against. I think we better start expecting it.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    This Dryad Militant won't see play from Maverick. It does nothing besides shutting down Snapcaster Mage, which Ooze already does well.

The only deck that might play this card as a four-of is Zoo, because what killed Zoo in the first place was Snapcaster Mage (and Batterskull, to some extent). Moreover, Tribal is rising again, and Zoo is well known as the tribal slayer, so it might push the deck to Tier 1. I said might.

Dredge didn't get anything from RtR so far, but I hope the next edition in the block brings us some Dredge stuff.

If you guys are worried about this Dryad guy, just go Quadlaser and make Ichorid laugh at the girl.
    I disagree. If anything else, this dryad is a potent GSZ target against dredge, 1 turn faster than Ooze. People say LED is better than LEDless against maverick because it can be 1 turn faster some part of the time. I guess Dryad is useful in that same case, since it's 1 turn faster than their usual bear. I'd expect at least 1-of on g2 and g3.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

If you aren't playing Judge's Familiar and Dryad Militant in Maverick then you're just straight up terrible at Magic, trust me Maverick is going to be a complete bitch to play against in the near future, hence Firestorm.

May 2011
    Louisiana

The new Dryad will probably just be a one of in the sideboard as either more or different hate for dredge. It's application is so narrow that it won't be a good maindeck for Maverick, but what Vandalize said about zoo using this guy sounds right.

I am actually more worried about the new cursecatcher bird seeing play. This guy can kill our bridges and block our Narcomoebas while countering our spells. He also plays well with Thalia. I don't know if this bird will see play in Maverick, Death n Taxes, u/w aggro control, or a completely new deck; but this guy will probably cause some problems.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    If you aren't playing Judge's Familiar and Dryad Militant in Maverick then you're just straight up terrible at Magic, trust me Maverick is going to be a complete bitch to play against in the near future, hence Firestorm.
    That's a very polarizing statement which isn't backed by any real performance. I would be hesitant to go out on a limb and say both of these hybrids are auto includes at this point.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

To me, it seems like the Dryad will be too low impact in other match ups to warrant inclusion as a 4x.

And while it might be solid against dredge, it seems to me like it is such a dead draw later in the game that it might not even justify its use as a singleton. Maybe it could be in the SB as a 1x, but that seems like a stretch to me.

Judge Framiliar on the other hand. That card seems sick across all match ups, especially dredge. Go to play a spell, sac judge, kill bridges, counter the spell just seems silly, while being proactive and largely out of reach of Cabal therapy. It just seems like a blowout against a deck that has comparatively infinite more ways to interact with dredge game 1 already.

Dread Returned
    Jul 2012
    Maryland

You won't even get Dread Return in a Manaless build with this on the table. All we'll have are Ichorids and Nether Shadows. (And to a lesser extent Narcomoebas.)

This creature is devastating to Dredge if it hits the table. And on a side-note, Dryad Militant seems outstanding in Vintage.
    Sad but true, yes this thing will see play (calling it now, might even preorder some foil ones as I am speculating it and preordering a playset of $1 foils, won't hurt me if it turns out to be junk)
    But that just makes no sense. You can't tailor the entire archetype to combat one creature. The best course of action is to let the craziness surrounding it to die down for a while and strike when the iron is hot.

You're not winning a game with four Nether Shadows and four Ichorids against a deck running multiples of this card. There's a good chance given its application that it would be run in some sort of Aggro shell, perhaps Maverick, that already runs Swords and Paths. It's too much of an uphill battle to climb, not to mention you putting them on the play allows them to drop it turn one and effectively put the game on ice.

I'm not suggesting it is an 'auto-win' card, but without Therapies and Dread Returns, this is going to do some serious damage. If you're going Manaless as I already have, it might not be a bad idea to run Sickening Shoal - and potentially Contagion - main.
    I think running removal in the board may be necessary as now there is both Ooze and Dryad to deal with

Hopefully this ends up just being the new Grafdiggers Cage, which gave decks a new hate card, but wasn't strong enough to shut Dredge down
    I disagree. If anything else, this dryad is a potent GSZ target against dredge, 1 turn faster than Ooze. People say LED is better than LEDless against maverick because it can be 1 turn faster some part of the time. I guess Dryad is useful in that same case, since it's 1 turn faster than their usual bear. I'd expect at least 1-of on g2 and g3.
    Agreed as a 1 of in Maverick this card seems great, turn 1 this, turn 2 Ooze, you just lost
    Quote Originally Posted by that0neguy View Post
    To me, it seems like the Dryad will be too low impact in other match ups to warrant inclusion as a 4x.

And while it might be solid against dredge, it seems to me like it is such a dead draw later in the game that it might not even justify its use as a singleton. Maybe it could be in the SB as a 1x, but that seems like a stretch to me.

Judge Framiliar on the other hand. That card seems sick across all match ups, especially dredge. Go to play a spell, sac judge, kill bridges, counter the spell just seems silly, while being proactive and largely out of reach of Cabal therapy. It just seems like a blowout against a deck that has comparatively infinite more ways to interact with dredge game 1 already.
    Familiar seems good, but then again what creature drops to warrant the inclusion of Familiar in decks like Maverick?
    Currently Playing:
    Dredge, The Rock, Lands, Spiral Tide, Affinity

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

This Dryad Militant crap is just spoiler hype. The same happened with Grafdigger's Cage and Cavern of Souls, and neither were backbreaking.

I bet my penis this card won't ever become competitive in Maverick.

@Judge's Familiar
    This guy needs to be compared to Cursecatcher from Merfolk, which is a long forgotten matchup. You rely heavily on Ichorids for this matchup, except this dude is just dangerous in AEther Vial trickery. If you try to cast a Cabal Therapy with this bird on play, you just diserve to get brain cancer and die.

Of course it's a card that might slow you down, just like Cursecatcher, but it's easily played arround with Ichorid die trigger, so don't be a moron.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

This Dryad Militant crap is just spoiler hype. The same happened with Grafdigger's Cage and Cavern of Souls, and neither were backbreaking.

I bet my penis this card won't ever become competitive in Maverick.

I hope for your sake that you're a girl.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post

I hope for your sake that you're a girl.
    Its not that big of a deal. This card wont' hurt dredge all too much. If it said exile creatures...then you got a problem.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post
    Its not that big of a deal. This card wont' hurt dredge all too much. If it said exile creatures...then you got a problem.
    I don't know about you, but my penis is a big deal to me. I wouldn't even bet on Norin the Wary never seeing competitive Legacy play when it comes to that.

Thread Information