Page 174 of 217 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 4327

Thread: [Deck] Dredge

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Re: [Deck] Dredge

Was going to give a tournament report about winning over the weekend, but on the way to the tournament, hit some ice on the road and wrecked my car. Magic didn't fee l like a priority at that point. Big tournament next month though, hopefully less ice on the road that day.

Anybody could explain the prevalence of. Lotus petal in the side?

Enviado desde mi XT890 mediante Tapatalk

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

@David. That sounds terrible. Take care of yourself and I hope you weren't hurt.

@Golden Cid. Petals can help you play around soft counter magic like Daze and Spell Pierce. This is monumental because on your turn 1 (assuming you're on the draw) you'd normally be susceptible to the Daze, but by playing out a land and then the petal you can give yourself a better opportunity to resolve a turn 1 Careful Study or Faithless Looting. Normally you'd have to wait another turn to play around the Daze or just jam your spell blindly and hope it resolves. It gives you back parity when you're on the draw.

And of course not to mention that if you had sideboard cards like Abrupt Decay then you would want the additional Petal support to aid in casting it. Normally we run answers with converted mana cost 1 to go along the traditional 13 land suite. By bringing in cards like Abrupt or even Wear//Tear it will start to strain your mana.
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

Thx a lot. I thought that it was to fasten the dck against faster combo decks.

Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    @David. That sounds terrible. Take care of yourself and I hope you weren't hurt.

Only my pride took a beating that day.

What do you guys think of the list from the SCG 5K in DC last weekend, Erik C.'s list?

I've just got my LEDs and am 3 Ichorids away from finishing Dredge as my first legacy deck. I've been looking for a build to model after and picked his to start, but I'm wondering about the lack of FKZ mainboard. I think I like the idea of the combo being available G1, but then again, I've never played legacy. Anyone run something similar? Or is he on this site?

List here: Washington D.C. Premier IQ 6th Place

I played dredge about 3 or 4 years ago and i was great. Very good time. Now im oxidized but i understand that at least 1 dr target other than ggt is worth in a led version. You choose fkz, iona, ashen or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by zbrt View Post
    What do you guys think of the list from the SCG 5K in DC last weekend, Erik C.'s list?

I've just got my LEDs and am 3 Ichorids away from finishing Dredge as my first legacy deck. I've been looking for a build to model after and picked his to start, but I'm wondering about the lack of FKZ mainboard. I think I like the idea of the combo being available G1, but then again, I've never played legacy. Anyone run something similar? Or is he on this site?

List here: Washington D.C. Premier IQ 6th Place
    yeah that's me, you don't really want/need a DR target main since getting a huge GGT and zombies is almost always enough game 1, and you don't even need to hit the DR to win obv. I actually almost never side in the FKZ, its just there for other fast combo matchups obv but Iona is usually better there (and possibly even Elesh Norn which I used to run). I also top16ed the Philly Open a few weeks ago with the same list, don't think I would change a card but Elesh Norn and Ashen Rider are other DR targets I've run in the past.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the Lotus Petal and Abrupt Decay package in the SB which I've seen discussed here. To be fair I haven't tried it but it seems incredibly optimistic to think that youre going to hit 2 Rainbow Lands or Land, Petal, Decay in your opener plus the next 1-3 cards you draw (which are probably the only cards youll actually "draw" the whole game). Nature's Claim just seems better to me and has worked in practice as well, sure it can be countered but its way easier to at least try to cast, and you can try to set it up with Cabal Therapy. Sometimes theyre gonna have the hate piece and a counter for your Claim, and you just have to tip your cap when they have the nuts like that.

Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by zbrt View Post
    I'm wondering about the lack of FKZ mainboard.

This has come up a couple times. It's all in your preference. The biggest argument against the Flamekin to victory is that if you were going to dread return flamekin back, a lot of times just DR anything like a big troll will still get you there. You are likely already winning at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    Now im oxidized
    Hahahaha
    Cu+2(aq) + Zn(s) → Cu(s) + Zn+2(aq)

Played in an event last weekend with the list from most recent Feldman article

2-1 UR Delver
    2-1 Reanimator
    ID Sneak Show
    1-2 Shardless Bant homebrew deck
    Place 5th missing the top 4 playoff

Because the event was very small the way the pairings worked out was that the round 3 ID was basically a loss for both of us, but we didn't figure it out properly until we were like halfway through the round. We were mostly IDing for friendship reasons so just had a laugh about it.

Game 3 against Reanimator was decided by Leyline of the Void in my SB, he had no outs. Game 2 was equally short with his turn 2 Elesh Norn.

Game 3 against Shardless Bant I went turn 1 Faithless Looting pitch dredger. His turn 2 was only land, go. On my second turn I have to decide whether I want to try and therapy RIP or cast another faithless looting.

Possible Considerations:
    - With a mana open he can protect his hand with a Brainstorm which would make therapy useless
    - He has the Thopter Foundry combo in his deck which gets turned off by RIP (I didn't see a RIP in G2 and he kept the Thopter Combo in)
    - If I play the Looting and I dredge into action I might be able to cast a therapy anyway and get a zombie or something

In the end I therapied but he just Enlightened Tutored for Cage in response and I was out of the game. Having LED makes the deck much more weak to mulligans but the increase in power level is probably worth it.

The deck will always be a thing on raw power level and there is certainly a level of skill involved in playing it, but every time a dredge list tops a big tournament there will always be those unseen players who couldn't fade graveyard hate for 8+ rounds. I'm not sure if I would ever enter a serious event with the plan of hoping that other people don't have graveyard hate in their sideboards.

*To a similar extent this sentiment also applies to the version with Decay/CoV/Nature's Claim.

Dont get sad. Every player that goes with dredge must know and expect grave hate. In spite of that still wants to run dredge.
    You have to know that this deck wins g1 90% of time. The g2 and 3 % decrease notoriously depending on your side choice. Whatever cmc 1/2 card that can manage pernament cards will allow you to deal with unexpected cards, cage i n your case. Chain of vapor, nature claim, decay and wear//tear are good examples. I encourage you to give the deck the chance to reward you. It is one of the powerfullest decks ever created.

Jan 2013

Getting the wHip back from the shop Friday. There's a Tournament for a Grim Tutor or playset of Bobs this weekend at the shop. Hoping to bring the dredge milkshake to the yard. It's gonna be FABULOUS.

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    Getting the wHip back from the shop Friday. There's a Tournament for a Grim Tutor or playset of Bobs this weekend at the shop. Hoping to bring the dredge milkshake to the yard. It's gonna be FABULOUS.
    Maybe you can give this a try:

2x Putrid Imp
    2x Street Wraith
    4x Golgari Grave-Troll
    4x Stinkweed Imp
    4x Golgari Thug
    4x Narcomoeba
    4x Ichorid
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Bridge from Below
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Faithless Looting
    4x Careful Study
    3x Breakthrough
    1x Dread Return

4x Mana Confluence
    4x Gemstone Mine
    4x Cephalid Coliseum
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

Jan 2013

I am intrigued by the wraith / imp split

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

Extra dredge + they're live vs Deathrite Decks which ARE coming back. The deck already has plenty of outlets, it can afford to cut on the imps for added utility.
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    Extra dredge + they're live vs Deathrite Decks which ARE coming back. The deck already has plenty of outlets, it can afford to cut on the imps for added utility.
    I'm going to go ahead and give that a shot. I dropped my flamekin combo from the deck after testing this last weekend with some buds. I am glad I did, I cannot recall how many games I lost because of hitting him instead of a dredger or undead flying jello fish. I agree that Every time I cast him. I was already WAY ahead.

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

I'm going to go ahead and give that a shot. I dropped my flamekin combo from the deck after testing this last weekend with some buds. I am glad I did, I cannot recall how many games I lost because of hitting him instead of a dredger or undead flying jello fish. I agree that Every time I cast him. I was already WAY ahead.
    If you're a stickler for the 13th land feel free to make any preference cut to fit it in. Though I would urge to keep all 4 Ichorid as I believe it to be one of the best cards in this version of the deck.
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

LOL, I've been doing this for the last few weeks. Co-ink-e-dink.
    Que, your main looks pretty much same-same with me.
    Personally, I don't find I miss the extra Imps > having Wraith around to protect dredgers from DRS & Extraction has saved me a few times already.

Agreed on Icky > this sucker turns the deck on in many situations.
    I've learnt over the years that only fielding 2 Icky's in your list is not where you want to be, and although 3 is better, 4 is more consistent and fuels the deck for quicker end-game.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

So out of curiosity do you guys normally keep hands with 2 or more of faithless looting and/or careful study without dredgers in hopes that you get there? Also in terms of sequencing are there particular types of decks that you would go putrid over a faithless looting or careful study or does it just depend on your hand?

Thread Information