Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Maverick phenomenon

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Re: [Discussion] Maverick phenomenon

Just played a few games with the Snagolo BUG Control list. Pretty solid list, and it transforms well against the mirror. Deed is just too good.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Maverick has been among the TOP 3 decks in the format for 1 year now
    Yeah, it crushed when MM was around too, but everyone was in that Hivemind mentality too much to try it.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Bryant Cook

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

I brewed a BUG Deedstill(4 Deed, 4 Standstill, 3 Jace, 2 Liliana, 1 Snapcaster) and im 10X-X/2 against Maverick. But I have a really hard time to fight Canadian and Ive got an even Stoneblade-MU.

Sounds like the perfect deck doesnt it? You know why it isnt? Cause of friggen Budget-Decks like Burn. BUG cant beatz Burn....
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

cast one of the following:

pernicious deed

seismic assault

Maverick can't really beat either. I assure you.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    I brewed a BUG Deedstill(4 Deed, 4 Standstill, 3 Jace, 2 Liliana, 1 Snapcaster) and im 10X-X/2 against Maverick. But I have a really hard time to fight Canadian and Ive got an even Stoneblade-MU.

Sounds like the perfect deck doesnt it? You know why it isnt? Cause of friggen Budget-Decks like Burn. BUG cant beatz Burn....
    This seems to be a problem... are the good decks to fight Maverick not viable because they are not good against the other tier decks in the format (namely RUG and UWx)
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    This seems to be a problem... are the good decks to fight Maverick not viable because they are not good against the other tier decks in the format (namely RUG and UWx)
    IMO, it's burn that's really pushing said decks out of the format....

except for the Veteran Explorer deck which no one (at least on this side of the Mississippi) is really playing. Accelerated deed seems super good.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    IMO, it's burn that's really pushing said decks out of the format....

except for the Veteran Explorer deck which no one (at least on this side of the Mississippi) is really playing. Accelerated deed seems super good.
    I've played against the standard GB list of Nic Fit and Maverick still seems to win a lot of the games as they rely too heavily on Deed to win. Eventually, Maverick plays out enough threats where I just end up sandbagging creatures to refuel the field when they blow deed up and regain board position after they blow it up. Maybe the GBr or GBw lists are better but I've not been impressed with Nic Fit thus far.

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    cast one of the following:

pernicious deed

seismic assault

Maverick can't really beat either. I assure you.
    I am still playing my trusty punishing mav but feel like it has become a bit too popular for my liking and have been looking for a new deck to go to. Usually I that decide that from Hatfields TMI Metagame report, but I keep feeling that aggro loam is the way to go. THE RGB verision or the BGW version. It seems like the color black is poised in a very good way to take on the current metagame.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Would this card be fair?

XB
    Sorcery
    Search your library for a black sorcery card with cmc X or less. You may play that spell without paying its mana cost until end of turn. Shuffle ~this~ into your library.

How about this one?

XUU
    Instant
    Search your library for a blue instant card with cmc X or less. You may play that spell without paying its mana cost until end of turn. Shuffle ~this~ into your library.

Both of these cards would be pretty busted in Legacy and Vintage, since they give you pinpoint access to an answer at minimal additional cost.

I am not saying GSZ is banworthy, merely pointing out that GSZ is extremely versatile and powerful. The hypothetical cards I'm presenting here would be at around the same power level as GSZ (well maybe not the blue one, that might need another U tacked onto its cost).

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    Would this card be fair?

XB
    Sorcery
    Search your library for a black sorcery card with cmc X or less. You may play that spell without paying its mana cost until end of turn. Shuffle ~this~ into your library.

How about this one?

XUU
    Instant
    Search your library for a blue instant card with cmc X or less. You may play that spell without paying its mana cost until end of turn. Shuffle ~this~ into your library.

Both of these cards would be pretty busted in Legacy and Vintage, since they give you pinpoint access to an answer at minimal additional cost.

I am not saying GSZ is banworthy, merely pointing out that GSZ is extremely versatile and powerful. The hypothetical cards I'm presenting here would be at around the same power level as GSZ (well maybe not the blue one, that might need another U tacked onto its cost).
    The shuffle back in is the only problem. If it didn't have that people wouldn't care.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Enchantress beats Burn, Maverick and RUG and splits with Blade. Just throwing that out there.

Also, does anyone know how the Goblins vs. Maverick matchup goes?

Also, how does Maverick deal with Aggroloam? I know Ooze is key but most lists only run two, and what if they die?

Maverick is a really fair deck. It seems pretty clear that its dominance just demands a metagame evolution, not a banning.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    If Goblins get T1 Lackey and Maverick plays a T1 blocker, Maverick loses. If Goblins has removal for Mom before she becomes active, Goblins has a good advantage. If Goblins has an active, unanswered Vial, it starts looking rough for Maverick.

If Maverick plays a 1 drop, then Swords the Goblin Lackey, Maverick is pretty much set up to win. Getting 2 big beats out for Maverick (KotR, Thrun, NOT Ooze) starts making things difficult for gobbos also.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Enchantress beats Burn, Maverick and RUG and splits with Blade. Just throwing that out there.

Also, how does Maverick deal with Aggroloam? I know Ooze is key but most lists only run two, and what if they die?

Maverick is a really fair deck. It seems pretty clear that its dominance just demands a metagame evolution, not a banning.
    Goblins matchup is even if not slightly in Maverick's favor. Maverick has Stoneforge to Jitte (assuming they haven't cut it already - then it goes to even), Stp, and infinite dorks to block the turn 1 lackey. As long as Maverick develops their board and Goblins doesn't get their fast start it's game over.

I haven't tested Loam because only me and another local player have it in my meta but it just seems terrible for Maverick. Crushers can get bigger than Knight, Terravore plus Stronghold to get it back, Seismic Assault, and they also play Oozes. The list of threats they have go on and on. Maverick really needs them to have a slow start to stand a chance.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Aggroloam sometimes just dies to its own inconsistency. I've beaten Loam before with various tempo decks simply because even with the loam engine online, they couldn't find/resolve a threat/answer in time -- and those decks are supposedly one of Loam's best matchups. Maverick has an even easier time dealing with that deck since the mana denial plan can be mostly negated thanks to Hierarchs/Basics, Ooze/Pridemage can be searched up, and Mom can negate their targeted removal.

Aside from a complete nuts draw for the Goblins player, Maverick can easily deal with that deck as well. Even the dreaded turn 1 Lackey play can be easily negated with Fetch -> Dryad Arbor. Once Maverick gets Mom, Knight, and/or Jitte online, its over. I suppose B/R goblins could have decent game with Weirding and Perish,etc. in the board.

Maverick is the obvious end result of the deluge of quality spells-on-legs creatures that have been printed in the past few years.

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    The shuffle back in is the only problem. If it didn't have that people wouldn't care.
    The problem with those made up cards is that instants and sorcerys are by design more powerful than permanents since they are single use.

Ever color has multiple answers to creatures (and they play them MD already... How conveniient), other non-creature permanents and spells... Not-so-much...

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by DrHealex View Post
    The problem with those made up cards is that instants and sorcerys are by design more powerful than permanents since they are single use.

Ever color has multiple answers to creatures (and they play them MD already... How conveniient), other non-creature permanents and spells... Not-so-much...
    Sorry I was referring to GSZ being able to shuffle back in. If it didn't have that clause then people wouldn't care because they could counter it and not have to worry about it anymore. I once drew green sun zenith three times off the top in consecutive turns. My opponent was not happy, I on the other hand was amazed.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Vs. Aggro Loam the matchup is solid, every game is about who comes quicker out of the gates. Maverick has Mother of Runes to dominate the board, Swords to Plowshares because Aggro Loam is very light on threats, Knight of the Reliquary obviously and the GSZ toolbox to either axe Chalice with Pridemage or Yard shenanigans with Ooze. Plus Maverick has the better SB options in this matchup.
    Maverick beats up Goblins pretty badly (is there any deck left that doesn't?). Mother of Runes is a beating, Swords is an efficient solution to their major threat which is either Lackey or Warchief, KotR abysses them pretty quickly and if Jitte ever gets online the game simply ends.

Of course the matchups can easily be influenced if you expect an amount of Maverick similar to last SCG. A RB Goblin list with Perish and Virtue's Ruin in the SB should be easily favored vs. Maverick in games 2 and 3 and that is why bannings are unnessecary. If you want to beat Maverick you go and beat it, no problem, but most people simply refuse to do so. It is a mentality problem. For example I know for sure it is right to play 2 Damnations in the Nic Fit SB (rather 3 now) and always advocated to do so but it just doesn't happen and now I have read bullshit about how Maverick does okay vs Nic Fit.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Vs. Aggro Loam the matchup is solid, every game is about who comes quicker out of the gates. Maverick has Mother of Runes to dominate the board, Swords to Plowshares because Aggro Loam is very light on threats, Knight of the Reliquary obviously and the GSZ toolbox to either axe Chalice with Pridemage or Yard shenanigans with Ooze. Plus Maverick has the better SB options in this matchup.
    Maverick beats up Goblins pretty badly (is there any deck left that doesn't?). Mother of Runes is a beating (if you play it that is), Swords is efficient solutions to their major threat which is either Lackey or Warchief, KotR abysses them pretty quickly and if Jitte ever gets online the game simply ends.

Of course the matchups can easily be influenced if you expect an amount of Maverick similar to last SCG. A RB Goblin list with Perish and Virtue's Ruin in the SB should be easily favored vs. Maverick in games 2 and 3 and that is why bannings are unnessecary. If you want to beat Maverick you go and beat it, no problem, but most people simply refuse to do so. It is a mentality problem. For example I know for sure it is right to play 2 Damnations in the Nic Fit SB (rather 3 now) and always advocated to do so but it just doesn't happen and now I have read bullshit about how Maverick does okay vs Nic Fit.
    The list I tested against had 1 damnation and 3 deeds main. He had the other deed side and I'm unsure if he had any extra damnations, but he told me that his list was standard GB. I've tested about 20 games so far (mostly the night before GP Indy) and I don't know if it was bad draws or what but even after he deeds I still came out of it and win multiple times. I also played him last weekend in local legacy and I won the match 2-1 where the game he won he played Deed, exploded. I laid down KOTR and then he had the Grave Titan. My only out was Swords/Path and I didn't have it on top.

I think GBw has a better matchup against Maverick if they play academy rector to fetch out deeds/recurring nightmare with Yosei, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Last I checked, you have 4 swords against Lavamancer, Ooze, Crusher and Bob. All of which can wreck you if left unanswered for more than a turn. That's on top of seismic assault and the best removal you can get out of red and perish out of the sideboard. I don't see how this has ever been a good matchup for maverick.

Thread Information