Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Jun 2010
    Germany

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

Agreed with Queerios actually, but I just found food for thought and testing...

In case you didn't know, there was a Zombardment Decktech on MTGGoldfish, using an innovative list from Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXrjGUfpQEE

Thoughts on Hidden Stockpile, did anybody of you test it before? Note that the Revolt trigger even works vs. Leyline of the Void/ Rest in Peace.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeezay View Post
    Agreed with Queerios actually, but I just found food for thought and testing...

In case you didn't know, there was a Zombardment Decktech on MTGGoldfish, using an innovative list from Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXrjGUfpQEE

Thoughts on Hidden Stockpile, did anybody of you test it before? Note that the Revolt trigger even works vs. Leyline of the Void/ Rest in Peace.
    His deck is pretty sweet! I wish I could see it in action. I'm curious to see how important is Stockpile and how many wins he got by simply landing Blossom + Contamination, or by simply landing a Pact with his tutor package. I can definitely see Stockpile being on par if not superior to Pyromancer as both cards are likely to produce 1 token a turn. While Pyro has more potential for explosive turns and grants more immediate impact, Stockpile is harder to deal with and multiples look like they will definitely get out of hand. Contamination + Stockpile is definitely a powerful lock without the upkeep cost of a Blossom which is nice.

I would like to know how good Looting is in his deck as well. I never liked the card and without Crawler there is even less incentives to play it. Personally I've always found Entomb to be way superior to Looting. The second Looting has always been garbage for me and the games I lose are often because I run out of gas, not because I had bad selection. Dropping Souls or Therapy to Looting is not something I want to do often. I also dislike drawing Looting without Bloodghast and I dislike drawing Bloodghast without Looting. Given that Bloodghast isn't that hot on its own (AKA: without a good sac outlet), I like to keep him at a minimum and Entomb allows just that. Looking at 4 Lootings and 4 Ghasts for 4 Therapies and 1(+2) Bombardment seems like too many Bloodghasts for nothing. However, Looting is one of the cheapest means of card selection for this deck so it acts as our own little Brainstorm with a drawback that we can sometimes mitigate or take advantage of but not always. Looting + Loam though, now that's something I can get behind.

If anything I think his success at the tournament has more to do with his backbreaking enchantment toolbox than the actual synergy of the core cards. Landing a Pact against any Aggro deck or a surprise Contamination is devastating.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Jun 2010
    Germany

So I quickly made up this list, picking up on the Enchantment list and the Entomb style:

// 60 Maindeck

2 Bloodghast
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Cryptbreaker
    3 Gravecrawler
    1 Dread Wanderer

1 Contamination
    4 Hidden Stockpile
    2 Goblin Bombardment
    2 Grave Pact

1 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Entomb

3 Lingering Souls
    1 Life from the Loam
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize

// 21 Land
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wasteland

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Dark Confidant
    SB: 1 Contamination
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 1 Ray of Revelation
    SB: 2 Wear // Tear
    SB: 1 Coffin Purge
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Marsh Casualties

Could be alright, no?
    Trying out this 8-Zombie package, I want to try Cryptbreaker out first.
    After that, the package will be replaced by:
    2 Bitterblossom
    2 Looting
    2nd E-Tutor
    4th Entomb
    4th Souls
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I like where your list is going. I think Crypbreaker is too weak and that your replacements all look like much more powerful cards to run over the zombies.

Also I believe that if you choose to go a tutor package, then the 2nd Bombardment and 2nd Pact aren't necessary. The 2nd Bombardment is worthless and redundant with Jitte, and Pact is a narrow card that wins on its own when relevant. The 3rd Wasteland is probably better than the 2nd Swamp too. I personally play 22 Lands including 4 Wastes when I'm on Entomb/Loam.

I question the tutor package mainboard for a few reasons:
    First, Tutor is card disadvantage. Second, with Loam, Contamination is less desirably and without Contamination the package offers mainly Bombardment, Jitte and Pact which are all redundant Creature hate cards. Why not simply play 3 Bombardment instead of the varied hate and focus on that instead?

I find it difficult to accept the absence of removal altogether in this deck. I still believe removing a T1 DRS is very important and so is having an answer to Leo or Goyf/Gurmag without having to chump forever.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

What removal spells do you like most pre-board?

I find that my most common road blocks G1 are:

Deathrite on T1 simply needs to be answered or the tempo gains and GY hate become real
    Leovold at any point is big enough to block profitably and shuts down too many interactions
    Chalice on T1-2
    Jitte if I don't have Bombardment or facing TNN
    Fatties (mainly Goyf and Gurmag) to a lesser extent if I am struggling to build a board position or losing a race
    Elesh Norn is game over

Postboard I also can't let Cage or RiP slide too long as those cards prevent me from going over the top.

Swords to Plowshares takes care of DRS, Leo, and fatties for 1 mana. However the mana cost is white which is a slight splash. Giving life is a small drawback and removing DRS for 1 mana is very important as it is the most common threat.

Fatal Push takes care of DRS, Leo, and fatties except Gurmag and Elesh Norn for 1 easily obtainable mana (even though Moon). I see Push as the in-between of StP and Push.

Bolt takes care of DRS and Leo for 1 easily obtainable mana (even though Moon). With Bolt you have to race the fatties rather than answer them. Bolt is never a dead card but it is the most narrow removal for this deck.

Decay takes care of DRS, Leo, Jitte, Chalice, postboard GY hate, and fatties except Gurmag and Elesh Norn. Requiring green is a drawback as there is green in the deck only for Loam and DRS, and costing 2 mana is a tempo loss against DRS (the most common threat). Chalices and Jittes aren't exactly rampant but they are common enough to be worrisome. Decay is by far the most versatile removal for this deck at the heaviest cost. The fact that Decay is somewhat of a necessity in our SB anyway is a good enough reason to include some number of Decays mainboard.

My current inclination is to play 4 removal spells mainboard, either 4 Decays or 2 Decay/2 StP, and complement the suite with an additional 2 targeted removal spells postboard (2 StP or the missing 2 Decays).

My list is mostly GY dependant with a Young Pyro package to maximize Therapy

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Bloodghast

4 Entomb
    4-5 Removal (Decay/StP/Bolt/Push/Etc.)

2-3 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls
    1 Life from the Loam

3 Goblin Bombardment

3-4 Wasteland
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    1 Swamp
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Jun 2010
    Germany

I think that Fatal Push might the best removal spell in this deck because it's castable off Basic Swamp and Revolt is super easy to turn on in this deck, even without a fetchland. But...
    Grixis Delver is very big, so you really need to be able to deal with Gurmag Angler imo.

In your list I'd play MD 3 Swords to Plowshares 2 Abrupt Decay (to not fold to Chalice of the Void which is the other big part seeing play by Eldrazi, 4C Loam and Stompy) with Grudge and Decay SB I guess

Also, Deathrite Shamans give the nod to STP I think (making Swords easier to cast and not getting rekt by a timely Wasteland). In a time without DRS I'd play Fatal Push.
    Last edited by Alexeezay; 08-07-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Jun 2010
    Germany

Thought about this the other day:

28 Cards
    4 Hollow One
    4 Vengevine
    4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Deathrite Shaman

4 Collective Brutality
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Cabal Therapy

18 Lands
    10 Fetches
    6 Duals
    2 Basics

14 Other Cards
    X Bloodghast
    X Gravecrawler
    X Zombie XY
    X Gurmag Angler
    X Decay/Push
    X Goblin Bombardment

the 14 could be:
    4 Gravecrawler
    3 Cryptbreaker
    1 Gurmag Angler
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Goblin Bombardment

At least the Sideboard should include Thoughtseizes then.
    if only Hollow One was a Zombie... :P

All the synergies look really cool. Although I think Bloodghast is better than gravecrawler, with vengevine I understand his addition. (although with very few zombies)

Have you thought about other madness cards to create value? Asylum Visitor, Big Game Hunter or Reckless Wurm :-) or enablers like Liliana of the Veil.

The abrupt decays definitely needs to be in the 75, but I don't know about the MD. Maybe the TS or more pushes are better.

if only grisly salvage said 'discard'

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeezay View Post
    Thought about this the other day:

28 Cards
    4 Hollow One
    4 Vengevine
    4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Deathrite Shaman

4 Collective Brutality
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Cabal Therapy

18 Lands
    10 Fetches
    6 Duals
    2 Basics

14 Other Cards
    X Bloodghast
    X Gravecrawler
    X Zombie XY
    X Gurmag Angler
    X Decay/Push
    X Goblin Bombardment

the 14 could be:
    4 Gravecrawler
    3 Cryptbreaker
    1 Gurmag Angler
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Goblin Bombardment

At least the Sideboard should include Thoughtseizes then.
    if only Hollow One was a Zombie... :P
    The concept is cool but I don't think Hollow One strong enough to build around. He would be strong if he fit naturally in a deck but having to jam rootwallas and other jank cards to make him work is too weak. Also I think that Vengevine is a deck on it's own and needs Burried Alive or Intuition to be optimal.

Back to the removal question, why Fatal Push over Bolt? Push only hits Goyf that Bolt doesn't and going to the face is huge when a TNN lands. Push still doesn't hit Gurmag, Marrit Lage or Elesh Norn, and Goyf is quite scarce if I am not mistaken.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

I think your argument of Bolt over Push is correct.

Also the 2 times decay main are not bad, for CotV game 1, it is backbreaking.

But the synergies in the deck are quite strong, you don't need buried alive. A turn 2 Faithless looting can lead to a turn 3 or 4 kill.

Turn 1: Land, DRS/Gravecrawler/Cryptbreaker/cabal therapy/ or something.
    Turn 2: Land, Faithless Looting, discard Vengevine/Basking Rootwalla/Gravecrawler, cast the rootwalla, cast a Hollow One (for 1)/cast a gravecrawler from the grave, trigger the vengevine and attack for at least 4.

Faithless looting is the allstar in this deck, and the best part, it can be flashed back!

Collective Brutality is also very cool with the creatures, since the discard is part of the cost. Btw, how does it work with the rootwalla? Do you first cast it, define the modes and discard the cards, after the discarded cards, you can cast rootwalla, and then brutality resolves? (seems it should be like this)

Will try the deck next week Friday.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I think you cast Brutality and choose to escalate or not. Then you pick your mods with their respective targets. If you escalate by discarding a Rootwalla, Madness will trigger on top of Brutality therefore resolving first. If Rootwalla is your second creature of the turn and you have Vengevine in your GY (whether its from escalate or prior doesn't matter), Vengevine will trigger and the trigger will be put on top of Rootwalla (which is already on top of Brutality). An example would be having 3 mana on T3, cast a Crawler followed by a Brutality escalated with VV and Rootwalla. You would then get a Brutality with all 3 mods on the stack with a Rootwalla being cast via Madness on top and a VV Trigger on top of Rootwalla. The chain would resolve as follow: Vengevine(s) returns -> Rootwalla resolves -> Brutality with 3 mods resolves.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Am I alone thinking that Zombies benefit greatly from the DRS ban?

Alpine Moon is the answer to a considerable amount of troublesome cards notably Punishing Grove and Tabernacle while also being relevant against marrit lage. For the purpose of this deck, Alpine is a strict upgrade to Needle. Between Alpine and Blood Moon in an Etutor package featuring Bridge, I feel confident bringing this to a tournament. I also believe we will see much less Gurmags and much more Goyfs, SFM and combo decks which are all adressed by Push and heavy discard.

Here's a list I'd like to try soon:

4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Tidehollow Sculler

3 Fatal Push
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    //SB
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Alpine Moon
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Grave Pact / Ensnaring Bridge
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    Am I alone thinking that Zombies benefit greatly from the DRS ban?

Alpine Moon is the answer to a considerable amount of troublesome cards notably Punishing Grove and Tabernacle while also being relevant against marrit lage. For the purpose of this deck, Alpine is a strict upgrade to Needle. Between Alpine and Blood Moon in an Etutor package featuring Bridge, I feel confident bringing this to a tournament. I also believe we will see much less Gurmags and much more Goyfs, SFM and combo decks which are all adressed by Push and heavy discard.

Here's a list I'd like to try soon:

4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Tidehollow Sculler

3 Fatal Push
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    //SB
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Alpine Moon
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Grave Pact / Ensnaring Bridge
    You're not the only one, I've been playing zombardment on/off for the past year. It's just that it also seems to be a bit missing in some places. It's kind of an aggro deck, but it is also disruptive with discard, but it usually feels like 1 card is missing. I've been able to often get fair opponents to discard their hand along with myself, putting us in topdeck mode, but their topdeck brainstorm is usually better than my land trigger bloodghast.

Unfair decks were easier in my oppinion as you can shred the hand pretty effectively.

All that being said, I have only played versions without bob and with some number of bridge from below, and that often felt just a little too clunky. I do like lingering souls in you list now that DRS is gone.

Why no entomb? It's the best tutor a graveyard deck has. Ensnaring bridge is A+ in the sideboard I bumped it to 2 when I played.

Lastly, Urborg Justice seems like too much, but getting to tag TNN, reanimator, or just a wide board is really helpful.

Super glad to have someone to bounce ideas off of, most people have moved away this deck.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    You're not the only one, I've been playing zombardment on/off for the past year. It's just that it also seems to be a bit missing in some places. It's kind of an aggro deck, but it is also disruptive with discard, but it usually feels like 1 card is missing. I've been able to often get fair opponents to discard their hand along with myself, putting us in topdeck mode, but their topdeck brainstorm is usually better than my land trigger bloodghast.

Unfair decks were easier in my oppinion as you can shred the hand pretty effectively.

All that being said, I have only played versions without bob and with some number of bridge from below, and that often felt just a little too clunky. I do like lingering souls in you list now that DRS is gone.

Why no entomb? It's the best tutor a graveyard deck has. Ensnaring bridge is A+ in the sideboard I bumped it to 2 when I played.

Lastly, Urborg Justice seems like too much, but getting to tag TNN, reanimator, or just a wide board is really helpful.

Super glad to have someone to bounce ideas off of, most people have moved away this deck.
    Glad to have someone to discuss the deck with!

I played all variants of Bombardment over the years (Living Dead Girl, Young Frank, Zombardment, and even made a thread for The Expendables) and I agree with you that the deck feels like it is lacking sometimes. Our disruption is phenomenal but we don't have free counterspells and discard is terrible in topdeck mode. Our creatures are smalls and can't always block so huge creatures (especially with Trample) require some removal. Combo decks are generally pretty good matchups however, especially the slower ones. Control decks are very interesting and can be a walk in the park when we get to navigate RiP. Aggro decks can be walled and raced with Lingering Souls quite effectively without needing to commit too much space to removal spells pre-board now that DRS is gone.

I am a huge fan of Entomb for this deck and always played 4 copies back when I played DRS and Young Pyro. The reason why i don't play Entomb with a Zombie package is simply that I don't have the space for it. I would love to include it but there is a tension between Looting and Entomb. Entomb gives you virtual copies of Bloodghast and some toolbox cards so it tends to eat up the space of Ghast/Souls #3-4 and the flex slots (Bob and Removal). Looting on the other hand wants the deck loaded with cards you want to draw and discard from your hand (mandatory 4 Ghast, 4 Souls, 4 Therapy, 4 Crawler). Without YP, Entomb lost a lot of value in the deck IMO as Entombing for Souls and Therapy is now much less appealing. I also can't Entomb for Grudge since I don't play green anymore. Entomb increases our dependency to the GY and can become a liability for G2/3 as well.

Concerning Urborg Justice, I always preferred Liliana of the Veil in the SB. It gives me that sac effect, that discard outlet, that additional grind against control and shuts the door on combo. I used to play 3-4 copies in my SB but I went down to 2 in favor of some other silver bullet SB cards.

it is difficult to compose a SB map and figure out exactly what I want out of my SB now that the meta is wide open. I can explain some card choices and how I got to these numbers though...

4 Carrion Feeder - I want 4 CMC1 Zombies that synergize with Crawler and Ghast via T1 Looting
    4 Gravecrawler - Core
    4 Bloodghast - Core
    4 Dark Confidant - IMO one of the best ways to capitalize and early discard and dig through the deck to increase the availability of synergistic cards. Gives us extra grind and dig combined with Looting.
    3 Tidehollow Sculler - Zombie + disruption that is great against Reanimator and can be grabbed with ETutor. I could play less or more. Time will tell.

3 Fatal Push - My removal of choice. Push gets the nod over StP for being black. StP was relegated to the SB for Reanimator/Depths and as added removal.
    3 Thoughtseize - I used to play 2 copies when I had Entomb but I had to bump it to 3 in order to have at least 11 respectable proactive T1 plays.
    4 Cabal Therapy - Core
    4 Faithless Looting - Core
    4 Lingering Souls - Core with 4x Looting

3 Goblin Bombardment - Core

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    //SB
    2 Liliana of the Veil - Catch-all and nail in the coffin for many decks
    2 Swords to Plowshares - Added removal for Delver/Goyf/Eldrazi matchups as well as answer to Elesh Norn from Reanimator and emergency answer to Marrit Lage
    2 Surgical Extraction - Mandatory GY hate. I might need a 3rd copy.
    2 Wear // Tear - Mostly there for T0 Leyline of Sanctity/Void, postboard RiP, Chalice, and various Equipments.
    1 Enlightened Tutor - Silver bullet enabler that also grab Sculler and Bombardment
    1 Nihil Spellbomb - Tutorable GY hate. Maybe Tormod's is better because of Chancellor of the Annex? Perhaps a 3rd Surgical is preferable?
    1 Umezawa's Jitte - I needed a plan against Burn and active Moms when Bombardment gets Revoked. Also races TNN nicely.
    1 Ensnaring Bridge - You know how good this one is...
    1 Alpine Moon - Tutorable tech against Grove, Tabernacle, and Depths for instance. CMC1 is extremely relevant when compared to Blood Moon.
    1 Seal of Cleansing - Tutorable Wear // Tear. A 3rd Wear // Tear might be preferable here? CMC 1 against Enchantments (Leyline) is kinda important...
    1 Blood Moon - Additional nonbasic hate that acts as hoser for many decks. Blood Moon is such a smooth inclusion in this deck. 1/1 Blood/Alpine split for now.

Let me know what you think
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Some of the card choices I am a bit skeptical of. The 4 Carrion Feeder 4 Grave crawler is what stands out to me, I started with 4 of each and quickly found myself underwhelmed with each eventually dropping them to 2/1 split respectively.

That being said, I've only played zombies in a heavy grixis, Czech pile meta, where carrion feeder is walled by elemental tokens, and Grave crawler is quickly gobbled up as a casualty. Also, neither being able to block gurmag was sometimes stressful, as attacking led to chump blocks followed by pretty hard crack backs.

I founds some success with jitte as it makes blocking bloodghast that much more stressful.

With all this, every card I've evaluated in the deck has been done through the lens of the previous meta. And so I'm not sure if this is right to be more proactive, or to start to see where the shifts lead and capitalize on that. Because, while the deck struggles to pivot quickly, I did find that it can be built to be more disruptive, or more aggressive, out of the gate.

I like you're list a lot with the dark confidants but I think I'm going to tweak it a little, dropping some of the carrions for entombs and start there.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

What do you Entomb for other than Ghast and Therapy? Entombing for Souls is underwhelming and grabing Bridge from Below is win-more IMO since it implies you already have either a huge board position or a recurring engine going. The unearth Ghoul is okay at best... What's the big draw?

Also, Smuggler's Copter sounds quite decent in this deck. I doubt it's any better than the other availlable cards but it is something worth keeping an eye out for.

I did some goldfishing and I agree with you that 4 Feeders is probably too many. I basically never want to draw multiples. I will cut one for the 4th Push. 3 removal spells is definitely not enough to handle any of the Delver -> Goyf openers that I expect from Canadian/American Delver decks to come out... Chumping with souls is nice and all but I think you need minimal removal to weather the early game and get your synergy rolling (AKA: get Bob and/or Looting rolling).

Tidehollow Sculler however is definitely up there in terms of quality Zombies. It is great against every deck and is by far the best Crawler/Bombardment enabler. I don't know exactly how many I want yet but so far I can only fit 3 in anyway...
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

Carrion Feeder is useful to help blank Swords to Plowshares and Terminus, for what it's worth.
    Sligh
    Echo Stompy
    /r Miracle Intuition
    Yorion's Intuition
    5c Hollow Vine

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

Been a fan of zombardment since I got into legacy as it was one of the first decks that piqued my interests so I’m excited for the potential this deck has in the deathrite-less meta. Don’t know if you all saw this but a zombardment list just went 5-2 in the most recent mtgo legacy challenge with stitcher’s supplier and bitterblossom main.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1187563#paper

Thread Information