Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

Thanks for your feedback john!

I think you are right about Rampage not being specific enough to cut it. What I dislike about Crater is that it costs 3 mana to get a shock on a creature or a Smelt, and that's not great at all... Explosives can cost 3, 4, even 5 mana for a Smother that could destroy other allied or enemy units. I think we need some cheaper removal for Thalia decks (DnT and Mav) and Delver/Ptera/Pyro decks (UR and Grixis Delver) so that we don't roll over too easily to threats + denial plans. In that regard Abrupt Decay is the perfect card against most hosers we will face (Chalice, SFM into BSK, Jitte, Counterbalance, Ooze, and any unanswered degenerative threat like Pyro/Mentor). Decay is also a good postboard removal spell to have against Cage, RiP, and Priest.

Concerning multiple Scourge, I think that card is too clunky in multiples and wouldn't play it without Entomb. The fact that it is completely dead without a discard outlet is a big let-down. Gurmag is functionally similar and forgives more in multiples albeit being sometimes boggling to cast. The matchups where a dumb fatty shine the most are the ones where you usually want it ASAP no matter the cost. I have a similar gripe with Bridge because it does nothing if it isn't in your GY and requires a board position to be effective. With only Therapy and Bombardment as sac outlet I find Bridge is often a hit or miss. 50% of the time it's not really usable/impactful or it's simply win-more, while the other 50% it generates enough board to be good or gets out of hand.

Ashiok seems ok. It looks good as a grindy tool with a slow prison effect. I preffer Liliana for the cost personally as she applies to many matchups and consists of an out to multiple situations.

That being sais, I've got 6 flex slots right now if I give up on the Entomb package and Cratermaker if I want to try and fit some vanilla removal (Decay? StP?) and perhaps a pair of Gurmags in order to upgrade my zombie count.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    Thanks for your feedback john!

I think you are right about Rampage not being specific enough to cut it. What I dislike about Crater is that it costs 3 mana to get a shock on a creature or a Smelt, and that's not great at all... Explosives can cost 3, 4, even 5 mana for a Smother that could destroy other allied or enemy units. I think we need some cheaper removal for Thalia decks (DnT and Mav) and Delver/Ptera/Pyro decks (UR and Grixis Delver) so that we don't roll over too easily to threats + denial plans. In that regard Abrupt Decay is the perfect card against most hosers we will face (Chalice, SFM into BSK, Jitte, Counterbalance, Ooze, and any unanswered degenerative threat like Pyro/Mentor). Decay is also a good postboard removal spell to have against Cage, RiP, and Priest.

Concerning multiple Scourge, I think that card is too clunky in multiples and wouldn't play it without Entomb. The fact that it is completely dead without a discard outlet is a big let-down. Gurmag is functionally similar and forgives more in multiples albeit being sometimes boggling to cast. The matchups where a dumb fatty shine the most are the ones where you usually want it ASAP no matter the cost. I have a similar gripe with Bridge because it does nothing if it isn't in your GY and requires a board position to be effective. With only Therapy and Bombardment as sac outlet I find Bridge is often a hit or miss. 50% of the time it's not really usable/impactful or it's simply win-more, while the other 50% it generates enough board to be good or gets out of hand.

Ashiok seems ok. It looks good as a grindy tool with a slow prison effect. I preffer Liliana for the cost personally as she applies to many matchups and consists of an out to multiple situations.

That being sais, I've got 6 flex slots right now if I give up on the Entomb package and Cratermaker if I want to try and fit some vanilla removal (Decay? StP?) and perhaps a pair of Gurmags in order to upgrade my zombie count.
    I wish i had the bayous to make the green splash

Regarding 2 scourges, I tend to play very aggressively to fill my graveyard, so its really easy to get the dragons and a couple of bridges/ghasts on the bin pretty early in the game, its pretty consistent. Phyrexian tower would be the other sac outlet I use (along with 2 cratermaker sacrificing themselves).

Playing with 4 bridges is really crazy because one sac already gives you value, and with anger (makes a big difference), you sometimes make a kill without your opponent even expect it. Sometimes I also dont want to kill my opponent creatures so my bridges can still be in the graveyard, and I usually sacrifice the zombie blocker/attacker to keep the bridge there.

With 4 looting, 4 supplier 3 entomb and 2 ashiok, your grave fills kinda fast. I have about 5-6 flex slots as well, and still need to figure out the best combination of cards for them, but so far Im really liking my current build.

Went 1-2 yesterday, losing to mud (1-2) and burn (1-2) and winning vs reanimator (2-1)

vs Mud he got Ugin to exile my stuff, otherwise he would be dead the next turn. I had to deal with chalice on all games.
    vs Reanimator I had leylines on g2 and g3, but by the time he handled them, my clock was already too fast.
    vs Burn I kept a slow hand on g3, but with cabal therapy (took out 2 eidolons), and only drew lands after, some shitty bad luck

It feels like a need a couple of collective brutalitys in my meta, maybe I will move the cratermakers for the sideboard to fit them in. Still tinkering with those flex slots.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

The new Seasoned Pyromancer looks great in here! A little expensive on the flashback but seems to fit the bill.

EDIT: Nevermind that. Check out Undead Augur. That card was designed for us...
    Last edited by Qweerios; 05-20-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

The new zombie wizard looks Crazy!!!!!

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Carrion Feeder, Crawler, and Bridge just got a lot better with Undead Augur. I guess we won't need Souls, or even white mana anymore.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Jan 2014
    Baltimore, MD

I just saw that as well! Let’s do this. Also worth noting, that means there will be more zombies in the set probably. Unless they want a cantripping vanilla 2/2 for limited.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    Carrion Feeder, Crawler, and Bridge just got a lot better with Undead Augur. I guess we won't need Souls, or even white mana anymore.
    Posted it already in the spoilers thread, but it's worth pointing out that Augur + Gravecrawler + Phyrexian Altar is a DIY Yawgmoth's Bargain. Not too sure what the deck is capable of with that.

We need a way to be able to pitch cards from hand to the grave to use it effectively, otherwise were gonna draw a bunch of cards and have no mana to cast them.

Site Contributor

May 2018

Just when my Japanese Rix Maadi's arrived... a sweet Zombie 2-drop arrives. Not complaining though.

I'm thinking, for a conservative start:

4 Crawler
    4 Supplier
    4 Bloodghast
    2 Carrion Feeder
    1 Gurmag
    3 Undead Augur
    4 TS
    4 Therapy
    4 Looting
    1 Scourge
    1 Bridge
    3 Entomb
    2 Souls
    3 Bombardment
    20 Land

A more graveyard-heavy/sacrifice heavy take (additional Bridges, maybe Altar, no Entomb package) would have more power, but I've always had better luck with the value-midrange side of things with the deck.

Other thoughts--might Augur be good enough to warrant a singleton main deck K-Command? I always found Cratermaker so much better as a chalice answer/removal that was also a threat, but it's possible that Augur is a creature that's actually worth getting back. Alternately, if we cut white, what gains can we get in the manabase? More basics? 1-2 Wasteland? Cavern?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

The thing about Augur is that he promotes more sac outlets and more zombies, therefore the plan becomes to make zombies and sacrifice zombies. Such a linear strategy promotes zombies, sac effects, and loot effects (clearly Carrion Feeder and maybe Putrid Imp?). In such a deck Lingering Souls is less appealing than Bridge from Below because we have more ways to trigger it and we can draw cards off the tokens via Augur.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Putrid Imp was the first card that came to my mind! Im gonna do a little more research. Some thoughts:

- With Augur probably 4 bridges (at least 3) might be the correct play;
    - 2 feeders are cool, phyrexian tower is also good as a small ramp/sac effect;
    - Gurmag sounds really strong, because if we buy lots of cards and dump most of them, its easy to cast Gurmag with 1 mana, maybe even 2 fishes on the same turn.
    - Perhaps the good plan is to get back to the old Blood Artist similar effect on the deck. Wayward Zombie is one that comes to mind, it mitigates the lose 1 life effect of Augur and we can keep drawing for value;

Collective brutality might be a great choice for maindecking with the new zombie, as you can escalate it always for 3 and dump your goodies into the graveyard!

Went 3-1 yesterday, Winning vs Humans, Lands and got a concession(paired down on last match), losing to reanimator.

22-05-19 Zombardment

Main:
    1 Anger
    2 Ashiok, Dream Render
    3 Badlands
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Bridge from Below
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Carrion Feeder
    2 Engineered Explosives
    3 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    4 Gravecrawler
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    2 Scrubland
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    3 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

Sideboard:
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Karakas
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Warmth - you should see the burn players face ... vs him, supplier milled this on both games
    3 Wear // Tear
    1 Zealous Persecution

Match 1 vs Humans win 2-1
    g1 Bombardment+bridge is insanity
    g2 got triple wastelanded, his giant champion of parish finished the game with problack
    g3 an explosives got 4 for 1 (so happy to play 2 maindeck)

Match 2 vs Reanimator lost 1-2
    g1 I was able to make a decent table by turn 2, with zombardment, crawler, ghast, and 2 bridges on the graveyard, another turn I could make crazy shit, but he topdecked the needed reanimation spell for tidespout tyrant
    g2 opened with 2 leylines and a feeder, slow clock... after a while ashiok and karakas showed up, and a gravecrawler to turn my clock crazy (2 bridges on grave already)
    g3 mull to 4 to a shitty hand

Match 3 vs Lands win 2-1
    g1 I was stuck on lands, had to cabal therapy myself to dump 2 bloodghasts hoping to draw one. he ghost quartered my swamp, bringing my ghasts to play where he couldnt stop them
    g2 sphere of resistante and a fast marit lage got there for him
    g3 2 crawlers 2 supplier 1 ghast were enought, he had 2 sphere of resistances in play and no way to defend himself

Concession was vs Burn, but we played for fun and I lost 1-2
    g1 missed the therapy turn 1, but got 2 rift bolts out of his hand turn 2 with it, and did the crazy bridge/cravecrawler thing
    g2 and g3 he got insane starting hands on both games, light up the stage is completely ridiculous

Notes:
    - feeder was crazy both times he came, 2 might be the right call.
    - ashiok is crazy crazy good, but im not sure he's necessary... 3 mana is putting me down a little, perhaps as a sideboard card;
    - got stuck with bridges on hand on a couple of games, need more self-discard outlets, specially for the new dude. maybe trim a bridge for it;
    - 2 EE maindeck and removed the cratermakers; stil not sure if I miss the green dudes;

Dec 2010
    Prague

Tamiful, what are you working on now? (The token deck or zombies again? Any new list we can try?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2011
    Germany

http://mythicspoiler.com/mh1/cards/h...ecropolis.html

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    5[G/B][G/B]
    Legendary Creature - Avatar
    You can't spend mana to cast this spell.

Convoke, delve (Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for 1 or one mana of that creature's color. Each card you exile from your graveyard pays for 1.)

You may cast Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis from your graveyard.

Trample

------

Clearly update over any Zombie Fish besides its not a Zombie itself (). Convoke+Delve is nasty since you can easily tap Bloodghast and all the other little useless creatures for Mana and witch fetches, Stitcher, Looting and all the cheap spells and WITHOUT any enemy Deathrite the yard is full fast enough. 8/8 + trample is also way better than 5/5 without another abilty and on top you can cast him from the Yard so he comes back (which means sac protection vs Swords with Feeder/Bombardment too) and it isnt a problem if you hit him with Stitcher or need cards for Looting or tutor him with Entomb. Casting him works also with Bridge-Tokens or Bitterblossom etc. so you have some to get him online.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

I'm guessing that guy's only really usable if there's an active haste enabler. losing some amount of pressure to plop a 8/8 beater seems like a win-more (not that i'm against that).

is fling a thing?
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    is fling a thing?
    Thought about the same. Seems to go well with Carrion Feeder

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Shenanigans and Smiting Helix are the cards that really pop out in this set for me!

Scourge is better than Hogaak IMO because you need 2 creatures in play to cast either except that Scourge can be cast via Souls and Hogaak cannot.

Yawgmoth is too expensive mana wise to be playable.

Undead Augur remains to be tested but I think cards like Smiting Helix are welcomed additions to our deck that promote more Rix Maadi rather than Augur.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Shenanigans is amazing, probably will fit maindeck (at least 1)!
    Smiting can be a nice SB vs burn, I also think Scourge is better then Hogaak!
    Augur promotes a different buuld I think, yesterday a friend build up a BW Zombies, that might be the right shell to it.
    The new land that puts enchantments from the grave on top of the deck might be a nice 1of as well, as a way to recurring an accidentaly milled bombardment.

Thread Information