Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

Hey Makoto, welcome to the discussion!

Very nice results man, congratulations! You have some serious tech that I wanna try out!

Which matchups do you think are the worst for your version of the deck? I dont have the altars and only have 2 bridges from below, but I definitely wanna try your version!

Quote Originally Posted by tamiful View Post
    Hi all,
    Hi all,

I'm Makoto Nagakita, living in Japan, and known as tamiful at online, and some of you might know me by Maldu Stockpile.

I have been using Zombardment for around 6-7 years.
    I've been free riding on this thread for a while, and finally found a bit time to share you the knowledge in myself.

My recent result with this deck is 7-1-1+won a game at SE on Japan Legacy Championship held this September(did split the prize with champ).
    Also just done 11-4 on GP Shizuoka(67th place with no prize ).

There shall be much to talk, but let me share you both of those list.

#List on tourney on 9 Sep, 2018#

4 Bloodghast
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Bomat Courier
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    3 Greater Gargadon
    3 Bridge from below
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Entomb
    2 Scourge of Nel Toth
    1 Phyrexian Alter

9 Fetchlands
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrublands
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Wastelands

Side
    2 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Thoughtseize
    4 Wear/Tear
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Silent Gravestone
    2 Pyroblast

OK, I know this is WTF WHAT YOU THINKING list, but I planned to use this list to do some testing preparing to coming GP(and won 1000+USD,, oh well).

#List used at GP Shizuoka#

4 Bloodghast
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Bridge from below
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    3 Phyrexian Alter
    3 Entomb
    2 Cryptbreaker
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    1 Lingering Souls
    1 Engineered Explosive
    1 Greater Gargadon

10 Fetchlands
    3 Swamp
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Phyrexian Tower

Side
    4 Wear/Tear
    3 Silent Gravestone
    3 Karakas
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Duress
    1 Engineered Explosive
    1 Volcanic Spray

Deck Tech had taken, written only in Japanese but if you have interest..
    https://mtg-jp.com/coverage/gpshz18l...ticle/0031474/

#Matchup History#

1) With 9 Sep List
    Sorry that if some record is wrong because I could not find my note..

R1 Grixis Control WW
    R2 Miracles WW
    R3 SnT LWW
    R4 DnT WW
    R5 SnT WLW
    R6 Grixis Delver WW
    R7 Lands LWW
    R8 Miracles LL (Super Mana Crashed)
    R9 ID

SE1 Miracles WW(Revenged)
    SE2 Death Shadow WLL (Split with him and tossed game because BR reanimate won the other side.. lol) (no, I missplayed last turn actually)

2) With GP Shizuoka List

R1 Jund WW (Peace of cake)
    R2 Grixis Control W- (same, never lost this match from 300+ match record, btw he played a bit too slow)
    R3 Steal Stompy LL (not great matchup,chalice, balista, raveger, all of those are nightmare for this deck. I also did three mulls in those two games)
    R4 SnT WW (Called SnT after his 1st turn Ponder, there's a bit of technique you can see opponents not playing Delvers Karakas finished him off G2)
    R5 Esper Stoneblade WW (I have nearly never lost against Miracles and Grixis Controls, this match could be easier)
    R6 Eldrasi Stompy LL (T1 Chalice, Thought-Knot, Smasher, GG, G2 was even worser he had Leylines too)
    R7 Grixis Control WW (Thanks)
    R8 Painter WLW (Painters don't win other combos)

To the day 2

R9 Ant LL (good morning, die roll, I'm dead before setting a land)
    R10 El-Tron LWW (Chaliced at G1, but destroyed those and opponent at G2 and 3)
    R11 Grixis Control WW (Thanks)
    R12 SnT LL (thoughtseized SnT at 1st turn, he draw SnT right after, died game 2 because he put Omni at T1 regardless I have discarded Snt T1, was not a great day for me..)
    R13 Chezh Pile WW (same thing to Grixis Control, I do not need bombardment anymore to finish him off, means Leo doesn't do much)
    R14 Grixis Delver WLW (was very close match, he did play great and I have lost if he did draw a card at last turn)
    R15 Spirits WLW (Wait, what?? Luckely he did not draw much graveyard hates at G3)

I need to go for today and get back in nighttime on JP, please follow @tami_ful if you look for Zombardment friend!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    Hey Makoto, welcome to the discussion!

Very nice results man, congratulations! You have some serious tech that I wanna try out!

Which matchups do you think are the worst for your version of the deck? I dont have the altars and only have 2 bridges from below, but I definitely wanna try your version!
    Glad to hear you'd like it!

I'd say Lands, BR reanimator, and Steel Stompy could be the worst matchup, in my note I have following win ratio:

Games Played / # of wins / Deckname

32 / 31 / Grixis Control
    28 / 25 / Miracles
    26 / 18 / Sneak Show
    25 / 17 / Grixis Delver
    20 / 13 / Eldrazi+Eltrons
    15 / 9 / Mono Red Stompy
    14 / 10 / Death and Tax
    14 / 4 / Steel Stompy
    12 / 6 / AnT
    12 / 4 / BR Renimator
    10 / 4 / Lands

With Karakas and Alters, win ratio against BR reani and Lands had increased very nicely, but still need something to dominate them..
    If you'd ignore both Lands and Reani(because only a few players plays those), I'd say you need to worry about Eldrazi and Mono red Stompy.

Regards,

Dec 2010
    Prague

Hello,

Contamination is great card and works very well on Zombardment if your gimmicks start working...

Hope it helps,
    Greetings from Prague. Thank you for your points and a wonderful report.

I played my first two tournaments this week with this deck ever. I really liked it. I definitly didnt play perfectly but the deck is so interesting a intrigueing.

I found this list online:

4 Bloodghast
    2 Carrion Feeder
    4 Goblin Cratermaker
    4 Gravecrawler
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    4 Stitcher's Supplier

Instant [3]
    3 Entomb

Sorcery [14]
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Thoughtseize

Enchantment [4]
    1 Bridge from Below
    3 Goblin Bombardment

Land [20]
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Mountain
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

Sideboard [15]
    1 Coffin Purge
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Engineered Explosives
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    2 Wear/Tear

First tournament:

UW Stoneblade. My frist game with the deck. Excellent matchup. I shred his hand. He concedes to Bombardment. I cut some Feeders and Entombs for Wear//tear and Lili. He Branstormed under my Chains... 2:0
    Miracles. My opponent is not very experienced. He B2B all my lands so my next play was swamp into Undiscovered Paradise! 2:0
    Grixis. A good local player but has no chance against this deck. He double surgicaled mi in game two - Gravecrawler and Souls (had two in my yard). Ghasts got there. Seems its enough to resolve full Lingering Souls to beat them. 2:0
    Against mono B zombies brew. My opponent messed up g2. I only won by looting my only Bridge, sacing Ghast and chumping his massive Gravecrawler. 2:0

8:0. Not bad for the first tournament.

Second tournament:

Standstill. No real chance for him. He never drew any hate g2. 2:0
    Goblins. I drew 7 lands one game and drew one (the other got wasted) g3. I saw blood moon in his hand so I fetched swamp to play around wasteland as well and got punished by drawing double looting but no other land. Close games. My first loss. 1:2
    Beat Blade again. His RiP came late. Cratermaker is a boss here although he seems quite untiintuitive in the deck. 2:0
    Eldrazi. Won G1 on 1 life. I think I played really well. G2 he mulls to 5 and I keep one lander with looting. Never see another land. G3 is unfortuantely very similar but he had Leyline. God! That card is crushing us. I killed three of his big guys with Cratermaker. Not enough when you dont attack his lifetotal. 1:2

6:2 (14:4 in games)

The deck is beautiful. I love all the interactions. I lost three out of 4 games because of my lands.

You really want to start with Looting or Stitchers Supplier - that is really how the deck functions.

I was super impressed by the Bridge as only one card in the deck it did so much! In respons to opponent removal I Entomp for it and suddenly have 2-3 blockers. I am not surprised, tamiful, you play so many of them.

I often sided out: Cratermaker, Entomb, Gravecrawler.

Gravecrawler seemed the least impressive card in the deck. Do we really want it?

In many matchups I brought in Liliana as the games might go long and she allowed me to have a different angle of attack.

Is there any SB if not guide at least a general rule how does it work? What are we trying to achieve. I think Surgicaling our Crawlers and Caster into other SE on our Ghasts kind of kills the deck. How do you avoid it? Silent Gravestone? Coffin Purge? You need a black mana open and have one off... Surgicaling his Surgical?

What do we do against Leyline? Double Wear//Tear and hope? Adding another one? I think we have to remove it. Its not realistic to think we can with through it, is it?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Koplinchen View Post

I played my first two tournaments this week with this deck ever. I really liked it. I definitly didnt play perfectly but the deck is so interesting a intrigueing.

4 Bloodghast
    2 Carrion Feeder
    4 Goblin Cratermaker
    4 Gravecrawler
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    4 Stitcher's Supplier

Instant [3]
    3 Entomb

Sorcery [14]
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Thoughtseize

Enchantment [4]
    1 Bridge from Below
    3 Goblin Bombardment

Land [20]
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Mountain
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

Sideboard [15]
    1 Coffin Purge
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Engineered Explosives
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear/Tear

First tournament:

UW Stoneblade. My frist game with the deck. Excellent matchup. I shred his hand. He concedes to Bombardment. I cut some Feeders and Entombs for Wear//tear and Lili. He Branstormed under my Chains... 2:0
    Miracles. My opponent is not very experienced. He B2B all my lands so my next play was swamp into Undiscovered Paradise! 2:0
    Grixis. A good local player but has no chance against this deck. He double surgicaled mi in game two - Gravecrawler and Souls (had two in my yard). Ghasts got there. Seems its enough to resolve full Lingering Souls to beat them. 2:0
    Against mono B zombies brew. My opponent messed up g2. I only won by looting my only Bridge, sacing Ghast and chumping his massive Gravecrawler. 2:0

Second tournament:

Goblins. I drew 7 lands one game and drew one (the other got wasted) g3. I saw blood moon in his hand so I fetched swamp to play around wasteland as well and got punished by drawing double looting but no other land. Close games. My first loss. 1:2
    Beat Blade again. His RiP came late. Cratermaker is a boss here although he seems quite untiintuitive in the deck. 2:0
    Eldrazi. Won G1 on 1 life. I think I played really well. G2 he mulls to 5 and I keep one lander with looting. Never see another land. G3 is unfortuantely very similar but he had Leyline. God! That card is crushing us. I killed three of his big guys with Cratermaker. Not enough when you dont attack his lifetotal. 1:2

The deck is beautiful. I love all the interactions. I lost three out of 4 games because of my lands.

You really want to start with Looting or Stitchers Supplier - that is really how the deck functions.

I was super impressed by the Bridge as only one card in the deck it did so much! In respons to opponent removal I Entomp for it and suddenly have 2-3 blockers. I am not surprised, tamiful, you play so many of them.

Gravecrawler seemed the least impressive card in the deck. Do we really want it?

In many matchups I brought in Liliana as the games might go long and she allowed me to have a different angle of attack.

Is there any SB if not guide at least a general rule how does it work? What are we trying to achieve. I think Surgicaling our Crawlers and Caster into other SE on our Ghasts kind of kills the deck. How do you avoid it? Silent Gravestone? Coffin Purge? You need a black mana open and have one off... Surgicaling his Surgical?

What do we do against Leyline? Double Wear//Tear and hope? Adding another one? I think we have to remove it. Its not realistic to think we can with through it, is it?

Tom
    Well done Tom!

Instead to just answer you, let me explain about each of cards I have choose.

//Mainboard

4 Bloodghast
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Goblin Bombardment

-Nah, I would not talk about them.
    Play a day or couple with Zombardment if you reduce amount of those cards.
    I would not recommend you to play four Bombardment, but it might work, care for Pithing Needles.

3 Phyrexian Alter

-Infinite tokens+mana if you have a zombie in play with bridge and Gravecrawler in graveyard.
    (game ends a turn earlier if the bombardment is also in play)
    It wins you multiple games very easy and quick.
    With Looting, Entomb, and Supplier, you can find each of the combo parts easily.

1 Greater Gargadon

-Although there is a huge number of control deck in metagame, but most of zombardment player still playing carrion feeders.
    I know he is very suitable on this deck, but multiple draw of feeders makes some cpossibility to lose against controls. Cut their hope off.

4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bridge from below

-As told, those are combo parts, but you need zombie in play, 4 Gravecrawler+4 Bridge+4 Supplier+1 Scourge=13 Zombies.
    Those cards also maximaizing your stitcher's work, and this is why I play full copies of those.
    -You need full copy of Crawler, because they can block creatures forever if you have any sacrifice engine and bridge in grave,
    In mainboard, your oppnent only can treat of bridge with hitting their delver with their own lightning bolts(with avoiding our hand destruction!).

3 Entomb

-You all already know it is diabolic tutor only costing one in this deck.
    I used to play four copies, but as Supplier just do better work on this deck, I took one away.
    (just felt four is too much, still considable to play four)

1 Thoughtseize
    -The card only can do one-by-one trade, not very strong, but you need to have the card like FoW.

2 Cryptbreaker
    -I decided to replace those to Thoughtseize. Did not do much work, but is creature which triggers bridge.
    This is considerble to replace those to Creatermaker or Explosive.

1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    -Great option for entomb. Oversizing Angler, Delver, and most of Eldrazies.

1 Lingering Souls
    -I only played this once in 15 rounds of GP. I guess it is no more necessary card because bridge does better work.
    I will replace this to another Explosive, Thoughtseize, or Enlighter Tutor.

1 Engineered Explosive
    -You will lose 95% of the game against T1 CotV. It gets you some hope.
    It also does very flexible work and you would find some targets to explode(excepting combo deck).

10 Fetchlands
    3 Swamp
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Phyrexian Tower

-Not much to talk, but I would say you should not play a mountain and this is considerable to play second Tower instead of Paradise.

//Sideboard

4 Wear/Tear

- You will lose nearly equal to 100% of game if you could not treat Leyline of the Void or Grafdigger's Cage and around 25-30% of the deck playing Leyline or Cage.
    I mean, YOU DEFINITELY PLAY FOUR COPIES OF IT NO MATTER WHAT.
    - Take all the hand destractions against Mono Red Stompy, MUD, and Eldrazi, and replace those with it.

3 Silent Gravestone

- What you want to discard after sideboarding, is Surgical Extraction, or Snapcaster Mage.
    However your opponent want to hide those card on top of deck with Brainstorms and Ponders, thoughtseize might not work properly.
    This card can treat all the snapcasters and extractions in their deck by one card replace them with some thoughtseize.
    - Also does a good work against Reanimater and Lands
    - Considerble to replace them with Surgical Extraction because it does better against Reanimater and AnT.

3 Karakas

- Great answer against Lands, Reanimates, and Sneak Show.

1 Thoughtseize

- As I have moved it to mainboard, I might put a Pithing Needle on this slot.

1 Pyroblast
    1 Duress

- I only side this in against Sneak Show and Delvers, there might be a better cards.

1 Engineered Explosive

- Flexible side slot, it can treat CotV, and Delver+Cage at once.

1 Volcanic Spray

- I side this in against DnT, Elves, Goblins and AnT(to treat their "T1 all-in for Warren storm 7" plan).

4 Bloodghast
    2 Carrion Feeder
    4 Goblin Cratermaker
    4 Gravecrawler
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    4 Stitcher's Supplier

Instant [3]
    3 Entomb

Sorcery [14]
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Thoughtseize

Enchantment [4]
    1 Bridge from Below
    3 Goblin Bombardment

Land [20]
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Mountain
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

Sideboard [15]
    1 Coffin Purge
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Engineered Explosives
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear/Tear

First tournament:

Second tournament:

Tom
    Nice going Tom, that is my list (except it was urborg's justice replacing chains). maybe try 2 lilianas, replacing one and a EE for the 2 wear/tear. moving one EE to MD replacing one lingering souls might be a good idea as well.

Leyline is a problem, but it is not the end of the world, 4 wear/tear is probably the correct call.

The deck is a blast to play 4 cratermaker maindeck are insanely strong, and people dont expect it.

Site Contributor

May 2018

Glad to hear you'd like it!

I'd say Lands, BR reanimator, and Steel Stompy could be the worst matchup, in my note I have following win ratio:

Games Played / # of wins / Deckname

32 / 31 / Grixis Control
    28 / 25 / Miracles
    26 / 18 / Sneak Show
    25 / 17 / Grixis Delver
    20 / 13 / Eldrazi+Eltrons
    15 / 9 / Mono Red Stompy
    14 / 10 / Death and Tax
    14 / 4 / Steel Stompy
    12 / 6 / AnT
    12 / 4 / BR Renimator
    10 / 4 / Lands

With Karakas and Alters, win ratio against BR reani and Lands had increased very nicely, but still need something to dominate them..
    If you'd ignore both Lands and Reani(because only a few players plays those), I'd say you need to worry about Eldrazi and Mono red Stompy.

Regards,
    Hi Makoto,

Thank you for sharing your list and congratulations on the strong finishes!

Two questions:

1) How to fight Dredge? I currently have 3 Surgical, 1 Coffin Purge in my SB. Combined with Lingering Souls + Bombardment, I've found the match hard but winnable. Obviously the Silent Gravestones you play eliminate Surgical/Coffin Purge. I see the value of protecting the Phyrexian Altar combo with the Gravestones and just aiming for a speedy kill... is speed then the main plan vs. Dredge?

2) What do you side out when you bring in all 3 Karakas?

Dec 2010
    Prague

Tamiful&Johncarvlho

Thank for your answers.

Johncarvalho

I obviously like your list (thats why I play it :) but a few points:

- 4 Goblin Cratermaker is too many. Its an excellent card and helps the deck to overcome some obstacles but I its not essential. Its good it works when our deck doesent work but we usually lose then anyway. Easy side out. :)
    - 1 Bridge From Below is too few. The card is insanely good and several times won me the game on its own. It produces blockers. I d add at least one.
    - 3 Souls. I love them. Another surgical target. Great when deck struggles. Handbreak.
    - 1 Mountain. I think its not neccessary. What is your experience? Mabye if u run 4 Cratermaker... Another Swamp or Badlands feel better.
    - 11 fetch also felt like too many but thats a minor think. I played 3 Scrubland.

- 1 Coffin Purge. Whats the point? I know you can search for it with Entomb, but Entomb is one those cards you perhaps want to side out after board. (Some of them) And to protect you from Surgical? I think Silent Gravestone all day.

- 3 Lili. I like her as an alternative way to attack opponent after board.
    - 2 Wear//Tear. We definetly one some more.

Just a few thoughts. :)

Tamiful

I will definetly try your list first before I will suggest changes really.

- 1EE. What do u typically destroy?
    - 1GGargadon. 3Swamp. 2Cryptkeeper. Many Bridges. 3Silent Gravestone. Love it! (I feel 2-3 Bridges will be correct)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shonenkakumei View Post
    Hi Makoto,

Thank you for sharing your list and congratulations on the strong finishes!

Two questions:

1) How to fight Dredge? I currently have 3 Surgical, 1 Coffin Purge in my SB. Combined with Lingering Souls + Bombardment, I've found the match hard but winnable. Obviously the Silent Gravestones you play eliminate Surgical/Coffin Purge. I see the value of protecting the Phyrexian Altar combo with the Gravestones and just aiming for a speedy kill... is speed then the main plan vs. Dredge?

2) What do you side out when you bring in all 3 Karakas?
    Hey Shonen,

1) I'd say we are okay with dredge because we can sacrifice our creature with self to solve their bridge which is main engine for them.
    If you succeed on setting alter or bombardment, or cabal therapy targeting ourselves(or call LED to them) all they can do is reanimating griselbrand which is not gonna be huge issue for us.

2) It's depends on matchup, but I basically consider siding out Nel Tooth, Souls, and hand destruction spell.
    Against Lands, Therapy and Thoughtseize does not work properly so I'd side them out, and against SnT I'd take Phyrexian tower, Undiscovered paradise, a couple of bridge, and Explosive out to put Karakas and a couple of Wear/Tear(in case they sided in cage or White/Black Leylines).

Tamiful

I will definetly try your list first before I will suggest changes really.

- 1EE. What do u typically destroy?
    - 1GGargadon. 3Swamp. 2Cryptkeeper. Many Bridges. 3Silent Gravestone. Love it! (I feel 2-3 Bridges will be correct)
    Hi Koplinchen,

I'm sure you would like playing my list

>Typical targets for EE
    Engineered Explosive is very flexible slot, but my main target is CotV which destroys us on preboard, also Elephant Glass or Delvers would be a nice targets.
    As 95+% of targets are artifacts, I might replace them with Cratermaker or something like Abrade. All those choices have pros and cons.

>Number of bridges
    I deeply recommend to try out four copy of those.
    You really should move as the combo deck preboard just because it is Legacy, you might be killed instantly with some unknown-cards(let's say,, Elephant Glass mainboard from Marvelics or topdecking CotV for example of insta-death).
    To get your opponent down before they draw or play their super-secret tech is the best way to solve those issue if you are not playing FoW.
    Also it does maximizing the chance you can get multiple copy of bridge and ghasts from a supplier, and as supplier can dig through library a lot faster than at the era of DrtS, you should have much more chance to have therapy or looting to solve the drawn bridge
    Last edited by tamiful; 12-11-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Dec 2010
    Prague

Tamiful!

I played your deck last night and it was wonderful!

R1 vs Stoneblade
    G1 I did my thing. After his wrath Gargadon comes to visit. He almost cant win.
    G2 Fow on my T1 Thoughtseize into RiP. I have Wear//Tear. He attacks with batterskull but for a long time I can ignore it. Then I kill it. He has another RiP. I dont have many answers. Exchange couple of Bloodghast for Mystics. Then I draw EE and kill my Bombardment as well. I REB his TNN and kill him with two card in my library.
    2:0

R2 vs UB Standstill
    G1 was super close. I had like 3 life and bombardment, two ghasts in the grave. He had Muta and Creeping Tar Pit. I drew Souls, then fetch and stabilized from there.
    G2 I didnt bring in Wear//Tear and he almost got me with singleton of Grafdiggers cage. Drew my one off EE like a boss.
    4:0

R3 vs Grixis
    G1 I shred his hand and make hundread thousand zombies...
    G2 Discarded his Command and played double Silent Gravestone. He had Surgical but couldnt target anything. Only managed to find one of the two commands he had left. I had some board plus Phyrexian Altar, drew Entomb (he had jace, lili, angler, double strix, fow in hand but no blue card), played flashback Looting, binned Bridge searched for Gravecrawler with Entomb... “in numbers not lofty but numbering a throng...”
    Very frustrating for him.
    6:0

R4 vs Pox
    G1 He concedes R1 after I Looting double Ghast.
    G2 He mulled into Leyline. Never found it.
    Almost impossible for him.
    8:0

A few questions:
    How do u board? I often side out two Entomb, two Bridge, One Altar...
    Whats the point of Volcanic Spray?
    Thoughtseize is strictly better then Duress, isnt it?

It is a blast to play!

Tomas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few questions:
    How do u board? I often side out two Entomb, two Bridge, One Altar...
    Whats the point of Volcanic Spray?
    Thoughtseize is strictly better then Duress, isnt it?

It is a blast to play!

Tomas
    Hello Tomas,

Glad to hear you had exciting night!
    And sorry for delay on replying, I needed to communicate my friends in JP about how-to-board,
    which was a little necessary to prepare on Eternal Party in Japan(I could not go there though,,)

It is written in Japanese but there also is English list, check if you have some interest:

https://mtg.bigweb.co.jp/article/mmm...8/coverage/006
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/3502470...ghts&sort=time

There might be much to learn on the twitch movie, Zombies did crappy draw for several turn G1, and I'd call it deep failure he did cast Looting T1.
    You always do not want to cast looting without something you want to discard...

Let me share my current list to avoid missunderstanding the point of discussion.
    I will talk about boarding on the list following, and will pick up some example boarding against metagame-decks.
    Also will pick up the game you've played and share my opinion:

#My current list#

4 Bloodghast
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Bridge from below
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    3 Phyrexian Alter
    3 Entomb
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Engineered Explosive
    1 Greater Gargadon
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

10 Fetchlands
    3 Swamp
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Phyrexian Tower

Side
    4 Wear/Tear
    3 Silent Gravestone
    3 Karakas
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Goblin Creatermaker
    1 Duress
    1 Martyr's Cause(the card I've been testing)
    1 Volcanic Spray

##Boarding##

1) VS Grixis Control+Miracles

Out:
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Scourge

In:
    3 Silent Gravestone
    1 Wear/Tear or Thoughtseize

Very simple boarding.
    Hand destruction does not do much postboard, and you basically do not want to slow the game down against controls.
    (However Cabal Therapy is too good to ignore, it's two+ cards for free)
    In case Miracle sides in RIP(basically they would not because they have SCM and AK), you might replace explosive+entomb with a couple of wear/tear.

2) Eldrazi/ElTron/Mud/Steel Stompy

Out:
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize

IN:
    4 Wear/Tear
    1 Goblin Creatermaker

They will side in four copies of Leyline of the Void, and they have Chalice of the Void.
    You will be desired to have at least one wear/tear and because they will dump their hand too fast, hand destruction will do no much things.

3) Delvers

Out:
    3 Thoughtseize

IN:
    2 Silent Gravestone
    1 Duress(Martyr's Cause)

You do not waste any amount of life on this match, because all the spell they cast is focused to get as much life as possible.
    Thus, although there's a bit of risk you failed to take a card, duress is just better on this match(leave thoughtseize if you play first to take off their delver).
    You still need to care about Surgical Extraction, you do not want multiple copy of Gravestone so I basically only board a couple.

4) AnT

Out:
    2 Explosive
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

IN:
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Duress
    1 Volcanic Spray

Volcanic Spray is necessary here, you do want to board a bit of removal to treat their Darc Confidant which might be boarded in to prepare on our hand destruction.
    However you do not want multiple copy of those because they might not even have a Confidant in their board.
    Also, you can entomb this Spray to treat their Empty-the-Warranty plan with storm like 5-8.

5) Death and Tax

Out:
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Scourge
    1 Entomb

In:
    4 Wear/Tear
    1 Volcanic Spray

Hand destruction is nearly nothing in this match if you draw it later than T4, and they have multiple copies of deadly artifacts and enchantments,
    board wear/tear to grab your dream of destroying both RiP and Batterskull same time.
    I usually leave therapy on main, because it have some use; avoiding StP, discarding bridge, check their hand and trigger the bridge.
    Volcanic Spray can possibly destroy their board with multiple 2/1, but there might be a better card like darkblast.

6) Stoneblade

Out:
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Engineered Explosive
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

IN:
    4 Wear/Tear
    2 Silent Gravestone

Not a very mejor deck, so I have no much thought against this deck, but this is obvious that thoughtseize is not very good card against fair deck.
    You might need all three copies of Gravestone if you saw four Snapcaster in their deck.

Regards,
    Tamiful

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Welcome to the thread Tamiful! It is nice to see you post all this content and I think we all appreciate your creative ideas. I like reading about your Altar stories. Unfortunately, I don't have much time thess days to post about the various cards I test or the reasoning/theory concerning specific cards for the deck. I will come up with some news at some point (I have a thing or two to say about Gargadon).

For now I've read your brief SB guide and I would like to add the following:

Cratermaker is better than Therapy postboard against Delver, DnT and Stoneblade. You only need 1-2 copies of Therapy postboard max against SFM decks. Answers that aren't time-dependant tend to trump the ones that are so. Also, keep in mind that a Delver player will likely bring in 1-2 Cages depending on his aversion to Dredge and Elves.

That's all for now!
    Keep up the good work folks
    Last edited by Qweerios; 12-19-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

I started playing the antiquities war deck, but these updates and new techs are making me wanna grab my zombardment a little haha

@qweerios what u have to say about gargadon? now that Phyrexian altar/tower are reprinted I think I will get some and try Tamiful's list, or something similar! Give me some insight to see how many I need to get! =)

@tamiful Martyr's Cause looks like a fun SB vs the decks that can beat us up because of the "can't block tribal" stuff we do How is that card treating you so far? Looks cool vs Burn (my nemesis) and Marit Lage also.

I also really liked the 4 leyline/2 silent gravestone on the sideboard of the link you posted above... with the 4 bridges strategy, leyline is a pretty strong card.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Don't buy any Johncarvalho unless you want to experiment with various Altar configurations. I don't have experience with those and don't like the concept so my insight is heavily biased.

I was innitially thrilled by the idea of Gargaddon but he quickly took a nose dive when I compared him to the other cards he was competing for, namely Angler and Feeder. I won't do the whole analysis here but it basically boils down to this:

-Gurmag is the best stand-alone card (Cheap, Big, Blocks, Zombie)
    -Feeder is the best sac outlet and synergy enabler
    -Gargaddon is a sorry inbetween of both because:
    A) He doesn't enable Crawler
    B) He is much harder to get into play than the others
    C) His sac effect is limited by time and amount
    D) Playing multiples is significantly more difficult

Here's my latest list after taking in much of the discussion that took place here:

2 Carrion Feeder
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    2 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment
    1 Bridge from Below

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Badlands

3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    //SB
    1 Coffin Purge
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Wear // Tear
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Engineered Explosives

Not much has changed on my end... Notable changes include:

-Converted the basic Mountain to a 4th Badland. I also cut a fetch in order to go down to 20 Lands and free up a slot. This change makes all black fetchlands equal in function. I prioritize a playset of Delta and Mires because any of these fetches combined with an Entomb/TS/Therapy is more likely to provoke a mistake from an opponent than any other fetchland. This scenario trumps the potential Needle play by a mile IMHO.

-Included a Bridge as an Entomb target to go wide and synergize with sac outlets and Cratermaker.

-Cut down to 2 Cratermakers given the clunky nature of the card in multiples, and;

-Replaced 2 Craters with 2 Feeders as additional sac outlets for Bridge plays.

A Bridge-less version would definitely play Gurmag instead of Feeder and add back a 21st Land or 3rd Crater. These changes remain to be tested extensively given that I have limited experience and data with Bridge.

BONUS

Comprehensive SB map:

Aggro

Eldrazi
    In: 3 StP 3 Wear 3 Liliana 2 EE
    Out: 4 TS 4 Therapy 3 Bomb

Red Stompy
    In: 3 StP 3 Wear 2 EE
    Out: 4 TS 4 Therapy

DnT
    In: 3 StP 3 Wear 2 EE
    Out: 1 Scourge 4 TS 3 Therapy

Delver
    In: 3 StP 3 Liliana 2 EE
    Out: 4 TS 4 Therapy

Burn
    In: 3 StP 2 EE
    Out: 4 TS 1 Soul

Control

Miracle
    In: 3 Liliana 2 EE
    Out: 4 TS 1 Scourge

Grixis
    In: 2 EE
    Out: 2 Therapy

Stoneblade
    In: 3 Wear 3 Liliana 2 EE
    Out: 4 TS 3 Therapy 1 Scourge

Lands
    In: 1 Purge 3 Surgical 3 StP 3 Wear
    Out: 4 TS 4 Therapy 2 Crater

Combo

SnT
    In: 2 Surgical 3 Wear 3 Liliana
    Out: 1 Scourge 3 Souls 3 Bomb 1 Bridge

Reanimator
    In: 1 Purge 3 Surgical 3 StP 3 Liliana
    Out: 2 Crater 3 Therapy 2 Souls 3 Bomb

Turbo Depths
    In: 3 StP 3 Liliana
    Out: 2 Crater 3 Bomb 1 Bridge

Storm
    In: 3 Surgical 2 EE 3 Liliana
    Out: 2 Crater 1 Scourge 2 Souls 3 Bomb

Elves
    Out: 3 Therapy 1 Bridge 1 Scourge

Infect
    Out: 3 Therapy 1 Bridge 1 Scourge

Dredge
    In: 1 Purge 3 Surgical 3 StP 3 Wear
    Out: 4 TS 3 Therapy 3 Souls

'Till next time!
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

I understand how Phyrexian Altar can provide an extra sac outlet, extra mana, and even be part of an infinite loop wincon. However, it still costs 3 mana (which seems like a lot in this deck), does nothing if you don't have creatures to start with, and is entirely dead in multiples. Why play it? I see the results, but I don't understand how Phyrexian Altar could be a significant contributor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Greetings Zombie Throwers,

today was my third tournament with Zombardment in Hamburg, Germany. I played the following 75:

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Goblin Cratermaker
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Goblin Bombardment

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Badlands
    1 Blood Crypt
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp

//SB
    4 Wear // Tear
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Urborg Justice
    2 Karakas

Match 1: Grixis Death Shadow
    Game 1: My opponent mulled to six cards without lands. He found one from the top but my zombies won the fight.
    Game 2: A reanimated Street Wraith followed by a turn three Gurmag Angler was too powerful for me.
    Game 3: I build an army of flying Spirit token and small critter. I was stronger on board but played it safe and refused to lower his life until I was able to win.

Match 2: UW Stoneblade
    Game 1: I ripped his hand with three dicard-spells and won the game fast.
    Game 2: My opponent used multiple Surgical Extraction to get rid of my Bloodghast and Gravecrawler. I filled the board with Spirits and he has no counterspell for Goblin Bombardment. We were both hellbent but one turn before lethal he topdecked the mass removal. I sacrificed my army and got him to two life. We both drew a few cards and I had the removal for his Jitte. Finally I drew two critters to bomb his life to zero.

Match 3: Grixis Delver
    Game 1: He had the perfect Delver-draw: T1 Delver of Secrets, T2 blindflip, Daze, Force of Will, second Delver and Lightning Bolt from the top to finish. No chance.
    Game 2: My opponent had a slower start with Ponder. Liliana of the Veil and Lingering Souls guaranteed the win for me.
    Game 3: Both found strong hands. My Spirit token and a bombardment faced a Gurmag Angler on his side. I was on top until I drew four lands in a row and my opponent three multishot-bolts (Forked Bolt and Fire // Ice) in a row. Thus he was able to kill multiple blockers at once and I lost that close game when my opponent was on five life.

Match 4: Goblins
    Game 1: Luckily I started the game. My first plays were discard, Goblin Cratermaker and more creatures. There was no chance for his Goblin Lackey to connect so I won the game on 16 life.
    Game 2: This game my opponent was low on lands and my Goblin Cratermaker blew away his AEther Vial. That pushed this game in my favor.

Overall: 3-1 (2. place, 10 players)

Card discussion

Feel free to comment on my card choices. :-)

In summary I do belive that Zombardment could be a deck to beat. The manabase is stable, discard is our early interaction, we have cheap and exchangeable threats and Faithless Looting and Stitcher's Supplier provide consistency.

Greetings
    Stephan

Site Contributor

May 2018

Quote Originally Posted by EtwasSteIne View Post
    Greetings Zombie Throwers,

today was my third tournament with Zombardment in Hamburg, Germany. I played the following 75:

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Goblin Cratermaker
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Goblin Bombardment

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Badlands
    1 Blood Crypt
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp

//SB
    4 Wear // Tear
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Urborg Justice
    2 Karakas

Match 1: Grixis Death Shadow
    Game 1: My opponent mulled to six cards without lands. He found one from the top but my zombies won the fight.
    Game 2: A reanimated Street Wraith followed by a turn three Gurmag Angler was too powerful for me.
    Game 3: I build an army of flying Spirit token and small critter. I was stronger on board but played it safe and refused to lower his life until I was able to win.

Match 2: UW Stoneblade
    Game 1: I ripped his hand with three dicard-spells and won the game fast.
    Game 2: My opponent used multiple Surgical Extraction to get rid of my Bloodghast and Gravecrawler. I filled the board with Spirits and he has no counterspell for Goblin Bombardment. We were both hellbent but one turn before lethal he topdecked the mass removal. I sacrificed my army and got him to two life. We both drew a few cards and I had the removal for his Jitte. Finally I drew two critters to bomb his life to zero.

Match 3: Grixis Delver
    Game 1: He had the perfect Delver-draw: T1 Delver of Secrets, T2 blindflip, Daze, Force of Will, second Delver and Lightning Bolt from the top to finish. No chance.
    Game 2: My opponent had a slower start with Ponder. Liliana of the Veil and Lingering Souls guaranteed the win for me.
    Game 3: Both found strong hands. My Spirit token and a bombardment faced a Gurmag Angler on his side. I was on top until I drew four lands in a row and my opponent three multishot-bolts (Forked Bolt and Fire // Ice) in a row. Thus he was able to kill multiple blockers at once and I lost that close game when my opponent was on five life.

Match 4: Goblins
    Game 1: Luckily I started the game. My first plays were discard, Goblin Cratermaker and more creatures. There was no chance for his Goblin Lackey to connect so I won the game on 16 life.
    Game 2: This game my opponent was low on lands and my Goblin Cratermaker blew away his AEther Vial. That pushed this game in my favor.

Overall: 3-1 (2. place, 10 players)

Card discussion

Feel free to comment on my card choices. :-)

In summary I do belive that Zombardment could be a deck to beat. The manabase is stable, discard is our early interaction, we have cheap and exchangeable threats and Faithless Looting and Stitcher's Supplier provide consistency.

Greetings
    Stephan
    Nice!

One note on Urborg Justice--although the upside of a board wipe edict sounds sweet, the downside of needing a creature to die is real and not worth it, in my view. It also doesn't work when Leyline of the Void is in play, which Eldrazi runs (a match up where we definitely want max edicts/large removal).

Dec 2018
    France

Hello guys,

I read the last pages of the thread and I can not understand why you removed Carrion Feeder even for classic lists that do not use Phyrexian Altar.
    Is the density of zombies important enough to afford not to play it (and make sure you can play the Gravecrawler)?
    Does the game get enough pressure without this sacrifice engine and the ability to put pressure on easily?

Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
    Hello guys,

I read the last pages of the thread and I can not understand why you removed Carrion Feeder even for classic lists that do not use Phyrexian Altar.
    Is the density of zombies important enough to afford not to play it (and make sure you can play the Gravecrawler)?
    Does the game get enough pressure without this sacrifice engine and the ability to put pressure on easily?

Thank you in advance
    Carrion Feeder is a beater that can grow very fast but cannot block. On it`s own he was the weakest card in the deck in my opinion. However I have not testet Phyrexian Altar or Bridge from Below yet. Maybe the Feeder is good in a more explosive list with those two. Which list are you going to play, which cards do you want to cut? You can find my list a few posts above.

Dec 2018
    France

Quote Originally Posted by EtwasSteIne View Post
    Carrion Feeder is a beater that can grow very fast but cannot block. On it`s own he was the weakest card in the deck in my opinion. However I have not testet Phyrexian Altar or Bridge from Below yet. Maybe the Feeder is good in a more explosive list with those two. Which list are you going to play, which cards do you want to cut? You can find my list a few posts above.
    thank you for these elements of answers.
    I think I will test this list soon.
    the objective being indeed to be able to put a pressure easily and to have the plane Entomb + bridge in finishing with a sacrifice engine (Carrion Feeder or Bombardment). It also allows me to block if necessary.
    I will post my results with this main deck

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    2 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    2 Goblin Cratermaker
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

3 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Lingering Souls
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    1 Bridge from Below

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Badlands
    1 Mountain
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp

I think to add 1 Lingering Souls but i don't know what remove...

Thread Information