Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

You Zombardment pilots will enjoy this Therapy play I saw.

https://clips.twitch.tv/YummyEsteemedWaspDansGame

Although not the same as the last hope, and 1 mana more, but have any of you guys checked out her:
    Liliana, Untouched by Death

Looks like more synergy.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Minor Side adjustments today:

-1 Sculler (2 now)
    -1 Fleshbag (2 now)
    +1 Liliana of the Veil (Covers both)
    +1 Engineered Explosives (2 now)

Quote Originally Posted by maCHOOga View Post
    So what do you think are the worst matchups? I've been jamming pickup games on MTGO in my free time, but not taking very good notes.

-The fair matchups seems fine provided you don't allow a Jitte to resolve. I think of the fair matchups, Maverick and/or AggroLoam is the worst.
    You are right here
    - Reanimator seems unwinnable. We don't have interaction game 1 and games 2 and 3 require a lot of things to go right in our favor
    This decks is made to beat combo, Reanimate is a 3 card combo shell, so disruption works, yes you will lose vs awesome starts like other combo decks too. I win a high amount of (different) reanimate matchups so i dont fear it, while its harder now G1 without a playset DRS its still possible to win (i currently run 10 Discards Main + a fast clock). Sideboard not only gives access to Graveyard Hate it will also offers (if build well) solutions for fatties (Note: With Fleshbag Marauder at yard you can also negate any Exhume Target besides Grave Titan). Reanimate Decks are also currently on everyones radar so i dont think they will become Deck to Beat.
    - Mono red prison seems 50/50 provided we aren't shut down by chalice or bloodmoon effects.
    Really loopsided in terms of game start and hand. Clearly better with Side and a bunch of Artifact Hate.
    - Miracles also seems 50/50 but is super grindy.
    Miracles was a positive matchup in the past and this hasn't change. While DRS provided super utility (but often get sworded too) the Stitcher Versions can now be faster Game 1 and after this its all about Sideboard and the creedo don't overextend vs Terminus. Containment Priest will not stop Scourge, Souls or Crawler, so the best bet for Miracle is RiP (which will be answered anyway with Wear//Tear and friends), a single Surgical will not kill this deck, yes it can be worse with Snapcaster but even than this deck has a lot of tools to go head to head in a grind. I rarely lose vs Miracle with Bombardment and a rise of Miracle often wasn't bad, besides longer games. Feeder + Bombardment are very usefull here, especially now without STD+CB.
    - I've been turn 0 leylined, but managed to just aggro around it.
    Not many Decks run Leyline and it will go down once the panic for Reanimator Decks go down too. It will also punish some players with Mulligans.
    - Bitterblossom has been very meh. It doesn't seem to be a good alternative win condition because people will be bringing in disenchant effects, this effectively gives them more things to use their disenchant on.
    Yes Bitterblossom can be super slow and sometimes is meh or useless (drawn late) but its usefull in face of many graveyard hate and grindy battles. I don't think opponents will board in much enchanment hate, while Bombardment can be strong its the only enchanment and will only be abused if the Graveyard Engines run too, which means with enough Graveyard Hate you will beat Bombardment too and dont need a "Disenchant here". If you argue for Disenchant vs us it would be better to run Bitterblossom (Hidden Stockpile) to present more targets over Bombardment.
    - I think I want to try Liliana, the Last Hope moving forward. in the sideboard. it wins the synergy award on all fronts.
    As Qweerios already mentioned, yes solid walker but will only shine vs DnT/Elves/Controll since it does nothing vs Combo/Big Creatures. Liliana of the Veil is the better all around Walker here.
    - Has anyone tried Dismember? It seems functionally equivalent to snuff out and it allows you to kill opposing Gurmags.
    Before i run Dismember i will run Snuff Out too - Qweerios is right here. I don't see the Zombie Fish stay in the future meta, Grixis shells will go down unless they get new cards.
    - I also like the addition of the fleshbag marauders.
    Thanks, underrated but have a place in this pile of cards
    Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    Good catch! I totally knew that but it never occurred to me. Thanks!

I just realized that Scourge is a zombie... I want to try a light Entomb package with a singleton Scourge as a tutorable fatty sac outlet. I want to complete the package with a single Rotting Rats as another GY friendly symetric discard outlet and tutorable cheap zombie. Given the choice, I'd rather have a Scourge in play over a Gurmag or huge Feeder. My question for the Scourge users is the following: Is 1 Scourge enough to win? How often do you need multiples? My guess is that one is enough given that it is readily available.

Scourge of Nel Toth is in fact a Zombie, its a key feature 1 Entomb + 1 Scourge +1 Rats means you get more randomness here. Yes Entomb can be another Souls/Ghast/Looting too but you can also never draw it, get it countered discarded or put into yard from stitcher. Hitting a higher amount of Scourge naturally (Stitcher/Looting etc.) is way better, its more streamlined and in terms of fatty i would clearly go either 2 or more Fish or 2 or more Dragon. The big Fish is often easier to cast, but you will find the dragon easier if you use Stitcher aggressiv (i do with CT, Feeder etc.). This deck don't need a fatty to win/function but its now a) possible and b) a nice support for your small creature swarm and will made it more difficult for your opponent in terms of removal/attacks/blocks etc. Yes if it sticks on the field 1 should be enough but i also had 2 of them on the field turn 4 etc. which is a very comfortable position.

Also, why 3 Swamps? I rarely ever grab them and when I do, 2 is more than enough before I start needing red and white.

As you wrote Mono Red needs a good start and while the game can go wrong with chalice/sphere etc. 7-8 moon effects can also ruin the day, another swamp helps and its the same like the Scrubland discussion, you quickly can hit swamps with stitcher or discard it with looting (cause you need a dual more or other cards) and some cards need BB (Ghast, Liliana or return Crawler) so 3 is a safer way here. Overall its up in the air and a 4th Badlands over a 3rd Swamp is also solid enough (i played 4:2 in the past too). 21 Lands means one less slot (and i am not the one that already argue for removal main too), currently 20 is fine from my test games if you keep the mana curve low enough (so no cc4 cards etc.). If i would go up to 21 i would think about Dakmor Salvage, especially in a build with Scourge etc.

Sculler is the SB slot I am most dissapointed with as it only shines against combo and burn-type decks. If I do end up adopting the Entomb package, discard will be more readily availlable and I will drop Sculler in a heartbeat.

Sculler is indeed a weaker card, but not as bad as it seems, its a body (important since disruption your opponent alone will not win a game), its a zombie (abuse Crawler) and it exiles the card (permanently with Feeder/Bombardment if needed) this is important vs decks that also use the graveyard (for example exile a fatty vs reanimate). Its a solid support for your T1 Discard Suite and comes in vs Combo and some Control decks and for cc2 you will not an easy replacement. I would at least play two copies.

I also thought a lot about Sudden Demise and compared it mostly to Zealous Persecution. ZP is great against Active Moms, TNN, and decks that play a lot of x/1 creatures of various colors (Maverick and Bant). Demise is better against tribal decks like Goblins, Elves, Merfolks, and arguably DnT despite the fact that it can't hit Revoker and won't stop an active Mom which can be both answered by Bombardment and a wide array of removal spells. Being red and able to hit for 2+ damage is huge against Mirran Crusader, Prelate, SFM, and any tribal deck that has access to lords. The matchups that are the most impacted by -x/-x effects are the one relying on a critical mass of creatures (Tribal decks) while the Maverick and Bant decks are hindered more by Lilianas, Pushes, and Wears. For these reasons I believe that ZP is better in a vacuum but that Demise is better in practice by beimg the best answer for the matchups you specifically want that effect in.

I don't feel Sudden Demise is so strong. As you already pointed out, finding the right Sweeper is super hard since you will not hit any situation/deck perfectly. While Z.Persecution is way better vs DnT (ignore Mom + hit Revoker + Instant), Demise shine vs 2+ Thougness IF (and that can be hard vs Thalia/Port/Waste too) also have enough Mana. Merfolk will quickly outgrow it, while Decks like Maverick run a difficult mix (bigger dudes + small utility) a card like Toxic Deluge would be better here. Firestorm can also be a cheap option. As you can see i also tinker around with Explosives that can also hit multiple targets or sweep a token swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by LOLWut View Post
    You Zombardment pilots will enjoy this Therapy play I saw.

https://clips.twitch.tv/YummyEsteemedWaspDansGame
    Awesome - Therapy is such a great card and mastering it without easymode-Probe was always a key element in this deck (or Nic Fit, Elves etc.) Therapy gets better if you knew the format/decks/meta well enough and hitting with it isnt so difficult with experience. Brainstorm is always a solid blind call T1 otp. I remember a game i hit 3 delvers (i knew the enemy deck) blind g1 otp and my opponent scooped immediately

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    Although not the same as the last hope, and 1 mana more, but have any of you guys checked out her:
    Liliana, Untouched by Death

Looks like more synergy.
    4 Mana without DRS seems too much unless you want a super late game walker, but as i mentioned above this deck is already very good to grind out (and you have many things to do with spare mana) and overall the new Liliana don't look so strong - yes we run a bunch of Zombies but we already run Ghast/Souls a lot of non-creature spells (even more with Sideboard Options). So all of here abilities can also do near to nothing, i would run Sorin, Solemn Visitor/Sorin, Lord of Innistrad and other cc4 walkers here.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Took down a 4 round 30ish players weekly with an experimental list. I got lucky against a few nightmare matchups. Here's the list and a brief report:

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Rotting Rats
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

2 Entomb
    2 Snuff Out
    2 Abrade
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    //SB
    1 Remorseful Cleric
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Fatal Push
    3 Wear // Tear
    2 Sudden Demise
    3 Liliana of the Veil

R1: Lands 2-1
    G1 I get Waste-Loamed T1
    G2 is long and grindy I stall Chasm, Stage, Depths and Tabernacle while I wait with an army and a Bombardment. She has no Exploration so Stage copying Chasm eventually gets her when I extract Stage and Chasm.
    G3 I put some Thoughtseize back, nail a KGrip and manage to Surgical PFire and race Lage token with souls and Ghasts. Entomb for Souls was amazing

R2: Mono Black Burn brew 2-0
    Nothing to report here other than I had to aggro him out and it worked great. Casting Rats to put a Crawler in the GY and get a discard was great. I then Entombed for Scourge and shut the door.

R3: 4c Loam 2-1
    G1: I have a have a T1 Supplier and a good hand to play around him T1 Chalice. Souls + Ghast beats get there with a Snuff Out on KotR.
    G2: My opponent opens with a Leyline of the Void and a T1 Chalice. Abrade gets the Chalice but I cant find an answer to Leyline and his PFires amd wrecking me. He finds another Chalice before I find wear.
    G3: T1 Supplier gets Bog'd but I ride a Liliana to victory with a Ghast, Souls, and Bombardment.

R4: Grixis Control 2-1
    G1: I play and flashback 3 Souls, he is overwhelmed
    G2: I keep a Paradise + Looting opener and develop too slow. I lose to Needle on Bombardment and Engineered Plague on Spirits. In come the 3 Wear...
    G3: I get some good discard but he hides a Plague with brainstorm and shuts my Zombie plan. Ghast + Souls + Bombardment get there in the end.

Props:
    -Entomb was great for Ghast, Therapy, and Souls saved my ass.
    -Scourge as a 1-of has to be respected and is a great target for Entomb. I bought 2 but I won't be playing both.
    -Rotting Rats is surprisingly good when played naturally. Even though I didn't Entomb for it, it often influenced my decisions on how I would extend and rebuild.

Slops:
    -I should have included the 4th Badlands and it nearly cost me a game.

Going forward I have mixed feelings about Rats but they are definitely worth more testing. Even thouh Entomb is great, I am still hesitant about playing more copies as they did come out for G2-3 when I was expecting heavy GY hate. I also want to vary my GY hate package by splitting Extraction with perhaps 2 Nihil Spellbombs or Remorseful Cleric. I want some non-Surgical GY hate that can be splashed for various matchups. I also want a 4th enchantment hate piece and I thought of 1-2 Vindicates in my SB. Having no means to interact with lands felt very desperate. Vindicate is also great in many matchups when you don't necessarily want to bring in Wear but could be faced with random hate (RUG with Cage for example, or Grixis Control with Plague and Needle for instance).
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

Got 3rd at a weekly legacy with 12 players going 3-1 last night using a very similar list to Qweerios non-entomb build. I beat DnT, High Tide, and UW RIP-Helm control. Lost to a turbo-angler build of grixis delver. A couple things I noticed was snuff out was amazing in both the delver and DnT matchup. I would not have thought of that card had I not read this thread. Carrion feeder sped up the clock against High Tide but otherwise I wasn’t impressed with him and there weren’t many spots where I felt I needed a carrion feeder. I am definitely going to slot in cryptbreakers and see how those go. Thank you all for the in-depth discussions on this deck since the banning of DRS.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by ottomanottoman View Post
    Got 3rd at a weekly legacy with 12 players going 3-1 last night using a very similar list to Qweerios non-entomb build. I beat DnT, High Tide, and UW RIP-Helm control. Lost to a turbo-angler build of grixis delver. A couple things I noticed was snuff out was amazing in both the delver and DnT matchup. I would not have thought of that card had I not read this thread. Carrion feeder sped up the clock against High Tide but otherwise I wasn’t impressed with him and there weren’t many spots where I felt I needed a carrion feeder. I am definitely going to slot in cryptbreakers and see how those go. Thank you all for the in-depth discussions on this deck since the banning of DRS.
    Well done! Especially against UW RiP-Helm, that MU is rough. You could always try Dismember over Snuff Out if you have a Turbo Angler player in your meta. Not hitting Germ Token, Gurmag, Leo, and Bob are the big downsides to Snuff. Goyfs rarely get bigger than 4/5 and early KotR are usually within range too. Leo and Gurmag see much less play now but they are still relevant cards that can put a dent in our plans. Dismember offers more coverage and flexibility but costs 1 mana. It shouldn't be an issue if you can avoid Daze and Thalia. Another cool thing about Dismember is that you can hit a Magus of the Moon through a Chalice without a Swamp. I would drop Snuff for Dismember in a heartbeat if my meta called for it.

I tested 4 Feeders for a while but cut down to 3, then down to 2, and now 0. The less Feeders I saw, the better the deck performed. I ended up cutting Feeder entirely for 2 Cryptbreakers instead of 2 Entomb. What ended up happening was that I was never in a position where I wanted to activate him even though I could. Getting a 2/2 by dumping a Ghast is great but not worth the card, tempo and mana investment (3 mana over 2 turns just to discard a card). Given the choice I preffer to flashback Looting and get through more cards in nearly every case. Ghast and Crawler are the only cards you actually want to discard to Breaker rather than casting them. That isn't a whole lot... Please let us know about your experiences with Breaker. Personally, Entomb is the card I crave more than ever now that I have a Scourge plan lategame. Entomb is the card I want at every stage in the game and it grabs the missing piece of the puzzle for some degenerate synergy. Take these common lines of play for example:

-T1 Seize and T2 Therapy. Entomb puts the Ghast on time in the GY for some tripple discard by T2 and sets you up for recursion. You can also Entomb for a Therapy if you need interaction against combo.
    -T1 Entomb for Ghast knowing that you can T2 Bombardment and ping that Mom, Lackey, Elf or Infecter if we are on the play.
    -Entomb for Souls if you know Depths is about to happen
    -Entomb for Scourge when the ground is stalled by fatties

I know I will be on Entomb with a singleton Scourge for a while!

Another thing I've been pondering lately is the inclusion of a 4th piece of GY hate and how it would vary from Surgical. Other GY decks are more degenerate than ours and we rely on some heavy GY hate to take them down. Given that my meta has some notorious Lands and 4c Loam players, some Bomberman and the omnipresent Reanimators, I figured Extirpate might be a great inclusion. Split Second is super relevant against PFire, Loam with cycle lands, and LED when Bomberman is going off. It can also throw off some manaless Dredge players that want to cycle Wraiths in response to Surgical. It won't get countered by counterspells either against UB Reanimator. I initially wanted a pair of Remorseful Clerics for the full GY nuke and flying beats but 2 mana for GY hate won't cut it against Dredge, Reanimator, and PFire. I will definitely try a 2/2 Surgical/Extirpate split going forward.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    Well done! Especially against UW RiP-Helm, that MU is rough. You could always try Dismember over Snuff Out if you have a Turbo Angler player in your meta. Not hitting Germ Token, Gurmag, Leo, and Bob are the big downsides to Snuff. Goyfs rarely get bigger than 4/5 and early KotR are usually within range too. Leo and Gurmag see much less play now but they are still relevant cards that can put a dent in our plans. Dismember offers more coverage and flexibility but costs 1 mana. It shouldn't be an issue if you can avoid Daze and Thalia. Another cool thing about Dismember is that you can hit a Magus of the Moon through a Chalice without a Swamp. I would drop Snuff for Dismember in a heartbeat if my meta called for it.

I tested 4 Feeders for a while but cut down to 3, then down to 2, and now 0. The less Feeders I saw, the better the deck performed. I ended up cutting Feeder entirely for 2 Cryptbreakers instead of 2 Entomb. What ended up happening was that I was never in a position where I wanted to activate him even though I could. Getting a 2/2 by dumping a Ghast is great but not worth the card, tempo and mana investment (3 mana over 2 turns just to discard a card). Given the choice I preffer to flashback Looting and get through more cards in nearly every case. Ghast and Crawler are the only cards you actually want to discard to Breaker rather than casting them. That isn't a whole lot... Please let us know about your experiences with Breaker. Personally, Entomb is the card I crave more than ever now that I have a Scourge plan lategame. Entomb is the card I want at every stage in the game and it grabs the missing piece of the puzzle for some degenerate synergy. Take these common lines of play for example:

-T1 Seize and T2 Therapy. Entomb puts the Ghast on time in the GY for some tripple discard by T2 and sets you up for recursion. You can also Entomb for a Therapy if you need interaction against combo.
    -T1 Entomb for Ghast knowing that you can T2 Bombardment and ping that Mom, Lackey, Elf or Infecter if we are on the play.
    -Entomb for Souls if you know Depths is about to happen
    -Entomb for Scourge when the ground is stalled by fatties

I know I will be on Entomb with a singleton Scourge for a while!

Another thing I've been pondering lately is the inclusion of a 4th piece of GY hate and how it would vary from Surgical. Other GY decks are more degenerate than ours and we rely on some heavy GY hate to take them down. Given that my meta has some notorious Lands and 4c Loam players, some Bomberman and the omnipresent Reanimators, I figured Extirpate might be a great inclusion. Split Second is super relevant against PFire, Loam with cycle lands, and LED when Bomberman is going off. It can also throw off some manaless Dredge players that want to cycle Wraiths in response to Surgical. It won't get countered by counterspells either against UB Reanimator. I initially wanted a pair of Remorseful Clerics for the full GY nuke and flying beats but 2 mana for GY hate won't cut it against Dredge, Reanimator, and PFire. I will definitely try a 2/2 Surgical/Extirpate split going forward.
    My early testing with this deck after the banning was with an entomb+scourge. I was definitely impressed with the dragon as well but for the weekly I wanted to try out the gurmag list. Being able to get gurmag often by T3 and sometimes even T2 if stitcher binned a bunch of inconsequential cards felt REALLY good for sure and quickly put the pressure on. However, I have definitely had a handful of games so far where the dragon got me out of spots that gurmag would not. I get it’s early in the meta and small sample size etc. etc. but so far I agree with you that the dragon is worth a slot or two. I’ll also slot in dismembers in for snuff out and report back how that goes.

I've been on and off with this deck since the banning but finally got in some practice this past week. What I've noticed so far for the maindeck:

-Scourge of Nel Toth is a miserable top deck. I get it, you are supposed to entomb for it, but every once in a while it shows up on top and feels like a time walk for your opponent. I started out with 3, which definitely amplified the issue, but even having one will be an issue sometimes.

-Carrion Feeder still leaves me underwhelmed. I didn't like it in the DRS days and it still seems mediocre, yes it gets big, but tribal can't block isn't exactly fun to play sometimes. A big part of aggro mirrors is determining who is the beatdown, and this kind of takes away that aspect of the game. It also doesn't close fast enough imo to be stick around.

-Tidehollow Sculler is weaker without carrion feeder around. It's still a good card, but it isn't exactly what it used to be. I've cut to 0 in my list but more so to clean up my mana base by getting to fetch basic swamp earlier.

-Smuggler's Copter seemed reasonable in theory but always came up as underwhelming for me. It may just be that it was a win more style of card. It's great putting you ahead, when you're on board, but didn't pull back too much from behind.

-Mutavault was something I tried prior to sticher's supplier being legal in paper. It's a zombie and triggers gravecrawler, but a colorless land in such a greedy manabase is as close to a hard pass as possible. Opening hands were weird to evaluate with mutavault in the lands.

-Entomb was surprisingly not necessary, I was sure that all the entomb lists coming out were just wrong, but the deck still functioned. I've kept entombs in for the moment but it makes more sense to me.

-Stitcher's supplier is the truth. I'm not sure what has helped this deck more, banning DRS or printing this but it does add a ton of consistency.

-Gravecrawler this card is wonderful, but I tend to not run more than 1. It adds to the doesn't block side of things, and doesn't come in with haste. It does provide pressure though, and always keeps a body around.

-Lingering Souls the card is great, reasonable to cast on both halves, and provides flyers. The one complaint is that it does not provide zombies, and that's ok.

-Bridge From Below seems to be strong and worth consideration. It has the same issue in my opinion as scourge, but does a little more in building up an unreasonable amount of zombies. I readily accept the fact that I am biased by having played this card a ton already, so I accept the fact that not playing the card may also be right.

-Umezawa's Jitte always was where I wanted it when I wanted it. I drew it against maverick and d&t a bunch, and I milled it with supplier against combo decks like a pro. So, with that said, it did everything I wanted and seemed great. I'm more interested in seeing how bad it is when it doesn't show up vs fair decks, or when I need thoughtseize against ANT and draw jitte. Needs more testing for sure but I do like it at the moment.

-Burning Inquiry is absolutely hilarious. It was reasonable each time I cast it but also seemed like I could have just wanted discard spells most of the time.

And just to separate things a little bit, for the sideboard somethings I've noticed:

-Hollow One alongside burning inquiry, the sideboard starts to look like a modern deck, and a lot of fair decks stumble against early 4/4s and 5/5s. That being said, most of the fair decks already felt as reasonable match ups and I wanted sideboard slots todeal with more unfair decks.

-Bitterblossom still doesn't defeat combo decks, but is a 1 card transformational sideboard plan that fights around gravehate. It is definitely cleaner than hollow one, but also doesn't close as quickly.

-Urborg Justice is the truth. Whole truth. Nothing but the truth. Opponent has 2 Nimble mongoose and a true name? No problem, sacrifice a couple of bloodghast to bombardment and have a toxic deluge for 2. Tag Marit lage tokens, SnS/reanimator targets, and otherwise keep a copy around. Plus the art is fantastic and if I have 1 goal it's to make the deck mono Vorthos artwork.

-Flame of Keld surprisingly put in a ton of work the 1 time I cast it. That being said, I never wanted to see it any other time and rarely boarded it in. While sweet, it ate up sb slots.

-Coffin Purge was interesting for the surprise factor, but too slow where you really want it. Except against lands, it was great against lands.

Otherwise, my sideboard was pretty straightforward most of the time with surgicals, duress, wear//tear being mainstays. I haven't tried ensnaring bridge yet, but that has crossed my mind as a way to "interact" with the cheat fatty combo decks. I keep looking for a transformational sideboard plan, but I've found that the best way to beat hate is just to play through it. Try not to expose bloodghast to surgical, keep up fetches for rip, and mulligan aggressively to discard spells, especially on the draw, and hopefully things will break in your favor.

Hi Zombardment followers!

Back home from 3 weeks vacation and immediately started brewing in the new No-Deathrite-meta ;-)

I just 5-0 with this decklist Legacy Leaque 29/7 -2018

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1242230#paper

I am not sure for Kitesail Freebooter ... maybe just
    1) another Thoughtseize or
    2) one more Dark Confidant or maybe even better
    3) one Scourge of Nel Toth for a different angle of attack and also a sac effect that can be tutored with entomb

Pyrexeian Altar enables combo win ... did that a couple of games :-)

ReneRandrup

Quote Originally Posted by ReneRandrup View Post
    Hi Zombardment followers!

Back home from 3 weeks vacation and immediately started brewing in the new No-Deathrite-meta ;-)

I just 5-0 with this decklist Legacy Leaque 29/7 -2018

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1242230#paper

I am not sure for Kitesail Freebooter ... maybe just
    1) another Thoughtseize or
    2) one more Dark Confidant or maybe even better
    3) one Scourge of Nel Toth for a different angle of attack and also a sac effect that can be tutored with entomb

Pyrexeian Altar enables combo win ... did that a couple of games :-)

ReneRandrup
    So Sculler will always be better than free booter because it's a zombie for gravecrawler, and uses the old two-trigger templating which allows you to sacrifice-in-response and permanently remove the card.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Played a small local tournament last weekend (18 Players / 5 Rounds) and gave the new Stitcher Version a first real spin.

1:2 Burn (can't beat two eidolons g2 and run out of gas g3)
    2:1 ANT (g1 never saw land 2, g2-3 was like it should be vs this deck)
    2:1 Eldrazi Stompy (was close to beat Chalice G1.. G2 got a super fast start, G3 Carrion Feeder won the grind)
    0:2 Sneak Show (G1 close but overall not the right mix of dísruption+beats, G2 i die vs new Artisan Tech with Marauder in Hand but only two lands for several turns...)
    2:0 Grixis Control (G1 was over super fast, G2 i won vs 3 Surgical Extractions fast again).

3:2 and missing some good matchups like 2 miracle decks, overall many stompy decks around (1 Eldrazi, 2 Steel, 1 Moon) and burn overall never was a good matchup too. Overall performance was okay and i won the style award too.

Decklist:
    4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    2 Scourge of Nel Toth
    1 Gurmag Angler

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Collective Brutality
    3 Goblin Bombardment

3 Badlands
    3 Swamp
    3 Scrubland
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats

//Sideboard

2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Tidehollow Sculler
    2 Fleshbag Marauder
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Darkblast
    2 Abrade
    1 Kolaghan's Command

Notes:
    Never won the dice roll - so always starting behind...
    Decided to cut 1 Dragon to test out Angler but the big Fish only showed up 2 Times, vs ANT i couldn't cast him G1 since i missed the 2nd Land and needed to disrupt my opponent and the time Gurmag entered the field it was to late since i faced Tendrils next turn. The game vs Sneak and Show i couldnt fill the yard fast enough (yah sometimes...) and died with it in hand. Dragon won quickly vs Burn and BUG but i maybe keep up both since Angler can still be usefull (castable from hand, goes around Extraction/Cage and reuseable with K.Command) - speaking about Kolaghan's Command i made this last minute switch over Liliana of the Veil since i saw so many Chalice decks and wanted another option that also plays well with Marauder Tech. Only draw Command once but it wasnt the right situation to cast it. Fleshbag itself was usefull vs Burn, really good vs Eldrazi (but my SnT opponent saw it here too...) and would have won me the game vs SnT if i had drawn the third land... so i will keep this dude around. Its not a surprise that Abrade was a really good card and i like the cc2 solution that will also find a creature target in most cases too.

Carrion Feeder doesnt get the right spotlight here (every last MODO list also uses the playset...) and i can't imagine we really discuss the cut of it here. Card is critical vs every white (Swords/Path) deck and can instantly switch the decks place from disruption to aggro. Since it can grow the turn it hits the field or easily go later with every Ghast+Landdrop it is way faster than every other cc1 zombie. It won me the stall vs Eldrazi since i was able to quickly get a 5/5+ before the next chalice entered the field and i my opponent couldn't win with TKS+Endbringer (that can easily wreak the decks 2/1 or 1/1 swarms). Sure he can't block and if you are really behind he is a worst card but the deck is full with that stuff anyway and you need to get the right pieces and keep the game under control either with disruption, very fast beats or both elements mixed up well.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

What do you usually board out? Discard against fair decks? Souls against combo decks?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

What do you usually board out? Discard against fair decks? Souls against combo decks?
    Here are my (incomplete) notes and SB map:

Zombardment

Creatures (14)
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Rotting Rats
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

Spells (22)
    2 Entomb
    2 Abrade
    2 Snuff Out
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls

Others (3)
    3 Goblin Bombardment

Lands (21)
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp

Sideboard
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Extirpate* / Remorseful Spirit
    2 Zealous Persecution / Sudden Demise
    3 Wear // Tear
    3 Fatal Push
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Aggro

DnT
    -4 TS -4 Therapy
    +3 Wear +3 Push +2 Demise/ZP

Eldrazi
    -4 TS -4 Therapy -1 Bombardment
    +3 Wear +3 Push +3 Liliana

Canadian ZP
    -4 TS -4 Therapy
    +3 Push +3 Liliana +2 ZP/Spirit

Goblins SD
    -4 TS -4 Therapy
    +3 Push +2 Demise/ZP +3 Liliana

Maverick/Bant ZP
    -4 TS -4 Therapy
    +2 Wear +3 Push +3 Liliana

Infect ZP
    -1 Scourge -1 Rats -1 Paradise -2 Souls?
    +3 Push +2 ZP?

Burn
    -4 TS -2 Snuff
    +3 Push +3 Liliana

Red Stompy
    -3 Therapy
    +3 Wear

Combo

Reanimator
    -1 Rats -2 Snuff -2 Abrade -2 Souls
    +2 Surgical +2 Extirpate +3 Liliana

Turbo Depths
    -2 Snuff -2 Abrade
    +3 Liliana

Storm
    -1 Scourge -2 Snuff -2 Abrade -4 Souls
    +2 Surgical +2 Extirpate/Spirit +2 Demise/ZP +3 Liliana

Sneak n Show
    -1 Scourge -2 Snuff -2 Abrade -3 Souls
    +2 Surgical +3 Wear +3 Liliana

Elves SD
    -2 Abrade -3 Souls
    +3 Push +2 SD

Control

Miracle
    -1 Scourge -2 Snuff -2 Abrade -1 Badlands
    +3 Wear +3 Liliana

Stoneblade ZP
    -1 Scourge -2 Snuff -3 Therapy
    +3 Wear +3 Liliana

Lands
    -2 Snuff -2 Abrade -3 Therapy
    +2 Surgical +2 Extirpate/Spirit +3 Wear

Grixis
    -2 Snuff -1 Badlands
    +3 Liliana

4c Loam
    -4 TS -4 Therapy -2 Entomb -1 Rats
    +2 Extirpate/Spirit +3 Push +3 Wear +3 Liliana

@ReneRandrup,

Cool list! Everytime I try and rationalize cutting Souls and including Decay it ends up not worth it. Souls plays a crucial role and is our main source of grind against control and some combo decks (Depths and Griselbrand). Decay is phenomenal for us but Wear // Tear plays a crucial role as a CMC 1 enchantment removal for Leylines Sanctity/Void. Hopefully the new Ravnica block will grant us a BW functional Vindicate!
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Jan 2014
    Baltimore, MD

Have a pair of 2-1's to report on. One on mtgo, one in paper. I meant to type this up earlier, but life is crazy per the norm.
    4 bloodghast
    4 gravecrawler
    4 stitcher's supplier
    3 carrion feeder
    2 gurmag angler
    ~*~*~*~
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls
    4 Thoughtseize
    -> 2 Dismember
    -> 1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    3 Goblin Zombardment
    *~*~*~*
    11 Black Fetchlands
    3 Badlands
    3 Swamp
    3 Scrublands
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

*~* Sideboard *~*
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Wear / Tear
    2 Fleshbag Marauder
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Collective Brutality
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope

I hedged and slide a liliana maindeck as I heading into a metagame that is usually ripe with death and taxes.

MTGO:
    Round 1: (2-1) Goblins w. maindeck chalice, pyrokensis + 4 Leyline SB
    -> The only reason I won this round was because they drew triple leyline in game 3, kept and I was able to go on the agro plan.
    Round 2: (1-2) Eldrazi
    -> I accidently misclicked, stifled myself with a fetch and it cost me the match.
    Round 3: (2-0) Monoblack Reanimator
    -> This is a super budget version and shouldn't count towards records.

Paper:
    Round 1: (2-0) Storm
    -> I think this matchup is 55/45 in our favor depending if they have a turn 1. I feel like its 5% per turn with all the discard that we have.
    Round 2: (1-2) Punishing Maverick
    -> Jitte, KotR and Punishing Fire. This matchup seems 20/80 in their favor unless things break perfectly in our favor.
    Round 3: (2-1) RB Reanimator
    -> Game 1 feels near impossible unless you win the die roll. G2 them mulliganed to 4 which was a non-game. G3 they went all in with an elesh norn. I managed to survive and played a fleshbag marauder and quickly turned the corner.

Jul 2011
    Germany

I would never board out to much discard - especially since its this decks way to disrupt game plans. While 2-4 TS can be cutted vs Aggro (especially if you also run stuff like Collective Brutality or Liliana or Sculler) i keep in Cabal Therapy in every matchup, its a super strong card once you know the meta and decks floating around. It can discard 2+ cards, even if you dont hit blind this decks easily can reuse the card - at the end its still okay to land in the yard via Stitcher/Looting if you dont need it now. Discard overs Protection for Graveyard-Hate, Exile-Removal or Counters for important Stuff like Bombardment or Sideboard-Answers.

Since the deck will face Graveyard Hate Game 2 (more "Hard answer" without DRS) you need a way around it (Hate-Hate or alternative cards like Bitterblossom) end should focus less on the yard too. Every fair deck will have a hard time once you enable the core enginees like Ghast/Crawler with Bombardment/Feeder so you dont need Bridge/Entomb/Dragon or should at least trim some copies. Same is true for Stitcher vs some Decks, while Stitcher is awesome G1 vs opponents that can't interact with your yard, its a higher risk after boarding. You not only expose you vs Graveyard hate, you also can hit sideboard cards. So i often cut 2 Stitcher Game 2 and 1-2 fatties too. Overall it depend on the hate pieces, Extraction will be thrown at Ghast/Crawler/Souls in most cases and you can play around it sometimes, Containment Priest will not shut down Crawler or Scourge, Grafdigger's Cage is back in the Meta too - Angler works fine against it, Bridge from Below isnt dead too. Leyline or RiP are harder since it needs an answer, RiP at least can be discarded or easier destroyed if you keep in mind cards like E.Explosives too (a good sweeper vs DnT since they run so many good cc2 cards and thalia will not tax EE if played right).

If you run Abrade you should keep it vs Sneak and Show too since it handles Grafdigger's Cage or Arcane Artisan Tech well and both will be common side answers from your opponent.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Here's another list I 5-0 with on the 2 august 2018

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1249857#paper

Played against
    1) 4 color control with conterbalance 2-1
    2) BUG Delver 2-1
    3) Eldrazi 2-0
    4) 4 color control 2-0
    5) Sneak and show 2-0

I for sure prefer Black/Red (splash for green) builds and with entomb and bridges over white and Lingering souls.

Its way more explosive and allows some fast kills. I actually consider entomb the best card in the deck ... there are so many targets for it, but mostly its for bridge and that starts the snowball of zombies. I actually have both turn 3 and 4 kills with the deck.

Also bridge can turn any creature sac into a zombie and that is so powerfull. It dont even have to be a zombie to begin with. That opens up for including non-zombie creatures in the deck and in this build I play 2 Dark confidant and 1 Grim Lavamancer.

For fun I have testet 1 Pyrexian Altar over the third Bombarment and so far it has been good.

When playing with entomb/bridge u really have to know the deck and its triggers/interaction very well.

There have been many very close games and it was the small things that pulled the win though.

I am thinking of making some replay videos if anybody is interested.

They will be uploade on my youtube channel then ... where there actually are more older videos of zombie games since I have actually been playing/brewing zombies on/off for the last couple of years.

ReneRandrup

Would be awesome!!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Dec 2010
    Montreal

@ReneRandrup

I agree with you that Entomb is phenomenal in the deck. I think it really shines pre-board. Unfortunately it doesn't line up too well with my postboard plans of avoiding GY dependency. Maybe I am wrong and it is simply too good not to play the full set. I've played 4 before and have definitely had many postboard games where I was holding a bunch of Entombs against a static piece of GY hate...

I am intrigued by your green > white version, especially because Decay is a card I wish I had mainboard. I can't help but notice that you play 29 CMC1 cards in the main with only 1 Grudge and 1 Decay in the board. I can't get behind a deck that plans on folding to Chalice. Only 1 Nature's Claim in the board means you likely won't be able to deal with Sanctity or Void in time. Reverent Silence comes to mind here. You've definitely been having success with Bridge and Feeders so that might be interresting to look into. Keep up the good work!
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Since the deck is a tempo-based b/r deck... any thought to Backlash to answer Marit Lage and Gurmag Angler? Really nice vs Emrakul and the big eldrazi threats as well (it's even a discard outlet vs reality smasher). Decent vs goyf. At worst it's a lightning helix pointed at face vs delver & clique.

Medium vs germ tokens and vs griselbrand and the rest of reanimator, bad vs KotR and Endbringer because they can tap and make an illegal target. Bad vs TNN. bad-ish vs a suited up D&T threat because of Mom but could be used in response to protection from another effect.

edit: I feel like my post # is appropriate for the nonsense I just proposed. ;D

Thread Information