Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

Went super bad and 2-3 drop on the nationals.

Despite one mistake that I made against DnT (could swing for lethal if i had sacc'd the vengevines for 2 zombies each, passing more damage), the deck simply didn't function properly for me. I mulled EVERY GAME, and got hit by more than one hate post-sideboard all the time. Suppliers milled the wrong cards all the time, was really bad.
    I thought this combo version would be more consistent and reliable, maybe it was just insane bad luck, but playing this made me realize that classic zombardment works better for me, specially the gameplay.

I'm planning to remake a classic zombardment list, the options being:

- splashing white for lingering souls;
    - splashing green for decays and loam with some wastelands;

A combination of maindeck hogaak/scourge/gurmag can probably make the deck feel more flexible and consistent. 8/7 discard is also where I want to be, and 3/4 entomb, as it is just an awesome tool to have.

For the SB, gravestone in a arcanist/snapcaster meta is pretty awesome. Also maybe liliana of the veil, crop package and some trophies on the green splash, plowshares/path on the white, maybe some EE or Plague Engineers;

Dec 2018
    France

Hogaak is a good choice I think.
    There is a GP legacy at Bologna the last week end.
    You can see all deck lists and the fisrt Hogaak is 28 th. There is lots of Hogaak with a good result :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...69&single=true

Yeah, lots of ppl are making great results with Hogaak, its indeed a strong deck, but the gameplay of classic zombardment is more appealing for me.

Im working on new lists and will report here when i can :)

Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    Yeah, lots of ppl are making great results with Hogaak, its indeed a strong deck, but the gameplay of classic zombardment is more appealing for me.

Im working on new lists and will report here when i can :)
    Play with the one that makes you have more fun. The Deck is strong, in the last 6 month i played the deck in my lgs having great results, despite all my opponents knowing what im playing and having a lot of hate. The soft spots of the deck are Challice of the Void, and faster combo, despite that the deck does wonders.

Sent from my Power_2 using Tapatalk

Went 1-2 yesterday, winning vs burn (usually a really bad match), and losing to reanimator and red eldrazi (damn chalices), with the following list:

Zombardment - white splash v1

Main:
    1 Anger
    3 Badlands
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Bridge from Below
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Carrion Feeder
    4 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    2 Goblin Cratermaker
    4 Gravecrawler
    1 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    2 Lingering Souls
    3 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    3 Scrubland
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    2 Swamp
    4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard:
    1 Coffin Purge
    1 Darkblast
    2 Deafening Silence
    2 Plague Engineer
    2 Serenity
    1 Shenanigans
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Warmth

Some notes on the matches:

- 1st time playing vs red eldrazi, I kept a discard heavy hand, but with little threats, I never found an answer to smasher on g1.
    - g2 I should have sided out more discards in order to bring in the engineers, they could have turned the game. He opened with leyline, then chalice, but I mulled to 5 and kept a hand with Serenity and got rid of them both. Eventually, Goblin rabblemaster and tks got there for him, I got him to 6 life and needed a entomb topdeck to win, didnt happened;
    - I got g1 vs reanimator, g2 he comboed with discard and protection on turn 1, nothing i could do. g3 i mulled to 4 for a hand with deafening silence and plowshares. Started with deafening silence, which definetely slowed him a lot. i was able to surgical griselbrands, and coffin purge a chancellor and elesh norn. only drew 2 lands on the entire game, and never saw a creature;
    - vs burn I was able to race him on both games, anger being super strong here;

The deck felt strong and much more fun to play then the combo versions, despite the losses (all bad matchups, many mulligans), now its about fine-tuning it. Maybe 20 lands is better then 19 (not sure if a phyrexian tower or a undiscovered paradise, or even a 3rd swamp), I thought about replacing the 2 cratermakers with 1 land and shenanigans;

Coffin purge is good, but its too narrow, only good vs reanimator, so Im not sure if I wanna play it, or change the surgical/purge for leylines/silent gravestones; gravestone vs reanimator still enables exhume, which I can entomb in response for a hogaak or something, and the card is really good vs arcanist/snapcaster/loam decks;

Changing the maindeck for shenanigans+land instead of cratermaker enables changing the 3 surgical+purge+shenanigans slot for 3 leylines and 2 gravestones, maybe thats the line to follow;

Deafening silence is good vs reanimator, but only on the play and at the beginning of the game (he can entomb t1, reanimate t2) not sure if its worth the slot. Still, feels like a good card vs some matches that we are already good against (except storm);

Any suggestions?
    Cheers

A new hogaak list came up on Hareruya, the guy finished 11th place in a 243 players tournament, with 4 satyrs maindeck and 4 chalices of the void on the sb rest was pretty stock...
    how about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy View Post

And my favorite list <3 :

19 LANDS
    3 Badlands
    3 Bayou
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs

20 CREATURES
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    4 Stitcher's Supplier

13 INSTANTS and SORC.
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Entomb

8 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Altar of Dementia
    4 Bridge from Below

SIDEBOARD
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    2 Dawnstrider or Moment's Peace (Dark Depth ! I'm searching the good reply for the token).
    4 Surgical Extraction
    2 Return To Nature
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Reverent Silence
    1 Shenanigan's
    Are you still playing this list? Any changes on it? Have you found a way to beat depths?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    Are you still playing this list? Any changes on it? Have you found a way to beat depths?
    I don’t think beating Depths is a real possibility, most everything else seems possible though. I have been priming the deck for a tourney at the end of the month, the meta is always pretty toxic so a combo deck with leyli es in the board looks like a good option.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

I've been lurking on this thread for a while. I understand Dark Depths causes problems. I am curious whether there would be any way to squeeze in crop rotation and a land toolbox. Maze of Ith looks like a fairly robust way to deal with Marit Lage and other non-Zlendikar/-Annihilator fatties. Then again that might turn the deck into some sort of loam variant.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while. I understand Dark Depths causes problems. I am curious whether there would be any way to squeeze in crop rotation and a land toolbox. Maze of Ith looks like a fairly robust way to deal with Marit Lage and other non-Zlendikar/-Annihilator fatties. Then again that might turn the deck into some sort of loam variant.
    I just started playing the deck, normally a lands/DnT player, deck seems extremely fun.

I went 3-1 tonight at FNM playing the whitefaces list, lost to Depths in 3 but beat Sneak and Show, Storm and Burn.

Is this the official Hogaak thread or is their another/or a discord?
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    I just started playing the deck, normally a lands/DnT player, deck seems extremely fun.

I went 3-1 tonight at FNM playing the whitefaces list, lost to Depths in 3 but beat Sneak and Show, Storm and Burn.

Is this the official Hogaak thread or is their another/or a discord?
    Nice going man! Depths is super hard.

This is the official thread I believe, and I'm not aware of any discord

3-0 ID yesterday, beating TES, Death n Taxes and Humans, with the following list:

Main:
    4 Altar of Dementia
    1 Anger
    3 Badlands
    3 Bayou
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Bridge from Below
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Carrion Feeder
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Once Upon a Time
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Putrid Imp
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    2 Swamp
    4 Vengevine
    3 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard:
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    3 Force of Vigor
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Silent Gravestone
    2 Thoughtseize

TES:
    g1 he started with led+echo of eons, but couldn't combo on the 1st turn, I broke his plan with discard and altar/combo on turn 3;
    g2 he put wishclaw talisman and led and passes the turn, Force of vigor on them made him very frustrated... I got back with discard and comboed turn 3 again; he had the combo on the next turn, force of vigor MvP;

Death n taxes:
    g1 he totally murdered me on g1, I kept a pretty bad hand, my mistake;
    g2 feeder+bridge got there, trophy destroyed his RiP
    g3 feeder+bridge got there again, this time on top of 2 containment priests

Humans:
    g1 I put 6 creatures on the board turn 2 and he conceded
    g2 putrid imp simply made my game perfect, pitching the vvines/ghasts/bridges and putting an insane amount of pressure, even through a containment priest

After a few months of not playing magic i played again, and played with the "Green" (Beta) version i was trying to build.
    It was a blast. it was a 19 Player tournament with 5 rounds, i went 3-2.
    I did a lot of mistakes (not playing for so long is terrible) in the tournament, and some were very punishing, but overall i was pretty happy how the deck performed, and ... FINALLY I BEAT 4C LOAM.

Tournament (19 Players)

Round 1 (On the play): 2-1 Vs Dredge
    . Game 1 (Won): I started with Supplier, showing exactly what i was playing (Zombardment), and because of that my opponent didn't expect a Crop Rotation/Bojuka Bog package (no one plays with it) out of nowhere to exile his graveyard... after that easy mill win.
    . Game 2 (Lost): First punishing mistake, 3 fetches in battlefield (slow game because of Leyline), fetched for 2 lands and played an Altar with the idea of, if my opponent goes crazy fetch for Dryad to sac to altar to exile bridges (but i sacked the wrong fetches!?!?! STUPID!!!)... i could have exiled all his bridges, but instead lost!
    . Game 3 (Won): Fun match ... Slow (Leyline doing his job)... and with empty board, Renegade Rallier cast from hand left me with 1x Renegade Rallier + 1x Altar + 2x Bloodghast + 1x Dryad Arbor + 1x Hogaak + Bunch of Tokens (Thanks to Renegade Rallier and Dread Return), and my opponent scoops (Would mill him out).

Round 2 (On the Play): 2-0 Vs Ninjas
    . Game 1 (Won): He started slow but did his thing, left me at 1 life. I was very cautious to maximize Renegade Rallier waiting for the right moment to combo ... Perfect Play!
    . Game 2 (Won): Not a very good hand, but, Turn 3 Hoggak that opponent couldn't deal. Risky keep and game plan, but worked.

Round 3 (On the Play): 1-2 Vs Maverick
    . Game 1 (Won): I keep a weird hand (don't know what i was thinking!!??!!) with 2 Swamps and draw the 3rd Swamp (it became useful to blank opponent Wastelands), tilting my opponent at turn 5 with end of turn Entomb + Cabal Therapy with almost all the perfect setup in graveyard! Played Stichers, with Riftstone Portal on grave for White/Green, Stichers Sacked with Therapy + Renegade Rallier Bringing Altar from Grave ... and finishing him off out of nowhere. Renegade Rallier is/was Powerhouse!
    . Game 2 (Lost): Slow hand, and opponent with turn 1 Leyline + Noble, Turn 2 Knight of Reliquary, Turn 3 Knight of Reliquary. Humm, too fast and furious for me.
    . Game 3 (Lost): (Again another stupid mistake, this one costed me the game) Good hand, but having 2 Scrubland in starting hand (when i had a Green hand!!?? Too risky!!!!)... but the game took a while, and when i was almost ready to finish him off the BIG BAD MISTAKE! My opponent goes "Green Sun Zenith" for "Containment Priest" (and i allowed that and lost because of that!) :( Even now, thinking about it, i feel the urge to bang my head on the table !!! STUPID STUPID STUPID, i would have Won.

Round 4 (On the Draw): 2-1 Vs 4C Loam (With Oko)
    . Game 1 (Won): Very long game. We know what each other is playing, and because of that i keep a slow but steady hand because of his normal 1st turn play that he usually plays (Turn 1 Chalice), but he goes Turn 1 "Scavenging Ooze" ! Damn!!! I eventually Win thanks to an exploding turn despite he even exiling 2 Bridges. Renegade Rallier is a very good card!
    . Game 2 (Lost): Should have mulligan, but kept. Mana flood, and drawing nothing..., against a fast clock.
    . Game 3 (Won): 5min to play. We both Mulligan and keep 6. Good Starting Hand. We go to Turns and turn 4 i attack with 30 Power! (Crop rotation wins me the Game, making Blooghast Escape exile from Ooze)

Round 5 (On the Draw): 0-2 Vs Miracles (With Oko)
    . Game 1 (Lost): Mistake after mistake and my opponent playing very well. I deserved to lose due to my misplays.
    . Game 2 (Lost): What a GAME (a very stupid one due to my mistakes), he exiles my Bridges, my Hogaaks and my Bloodghasts, because i played so badly!

Final Thoughts

I had a lot of fun, and overall, i am very happy how the deck performed and the options that it gave me, i made a lot of mistakes and that can't be done with a version like this.
    "Renegade Rallier" is a very powerful card and also "Crop Rotation".
    This version allowed very interesting plays out of tight spots, but is much more skill intensive, and mistakes are more punishing.
    "Once Upon a Time" is a very good option in the deck and i am thinking even of increasing that number.

I won't be playing again soon, but i am still tweaking numbers, cards, and some other ideas.

Decklist used in tournament:

18 CREATURES
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    3 Satyr Wayfinder
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Rotting Rats
    3 Renegade Rallier
    3 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis

13 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Crop Rotation
    1 Entomb
    2 Once Upon a Time
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Dread Return

8 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Altar of Dementia
    4 Bridge from Below

21 LANDS
    3 Swamp
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    3 Bayou
    2 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Riftstone Portal
    1 Karakas
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dryad Arbor

SIDEBOARD
    1 Wasteland
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Veil of Summer
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Assassin's Trophy
    1 Reclamation Sage
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Force of Vigor

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Hi guys!

I know I haven't posted in a while since I've mostly been busy with RetroNinjas. I have lent out my zombie deck at events and did play it a bit on the side lately however and I have some things to share for those who enjoy Zombardment>Hogaak.

First off, Zombardment has been in a bad spot ever since Summer's Veil became a staple for combo decks. When it comes down to it, one of this deck's strength is the Thoughtseize + Therapy opening turns that can strip an opponent bare. The premier Control decks adopting Veil was also a big hit to our disruption package. These changes alone turned favorable Combo matchups into heavily unfavorable ones and means we have a Control deck to contend with. To me this is the single most obvious reason why we see Hogaak decks doing well and Zombardment completely falling off the map. The fact that non-white Control decks aren't as prominent as before also takes away some important percentage points because free wins against Grixis/BUG soups aren't as common.

Finally the meta is quite polarized at the moment which makes it easier to adapt to. There are currently about 3 viable aggro decks (Red Delver, DnT, Eldrazi), one important Control deck for us to care about (Bant Miracles) and a plethora of Combo decks that aren't too difficult to deal with now that Breach is banned. Show n Tell is probably our best matchup and Reanimator has been on a steady decline. With Wasteland at a low, I think now is a good time for 4c Zombardment.

Here's my latest list with a few card explanations:

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    1 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis

4 Entomb
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment

1 Life from the Loam
    2 Wasteland
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    2 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    1 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    //SB
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Plague Engineer
    2 Path to Exile / Swords to Plowshares
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

This version still has a respectable amount of discard, gets even more value from Supplier and uses Bombardment just the same. The addition of a Loam package mitigates the fact that it uses 4c. What makes this list shine is the combination of Loam and Lingering Souls in the Zombardment shell. Loam digs for more GY value or card draws combined with Looting, safely develops the manabase and guarantees a steady stream of Landfall triggers.

The dominance of Snowko really discourages the widespread use of Blood Moon, B2B and WasteLoam which could be potentially devastating for us. The most common land hate we have to deal with is Wasteland from Aggro decks which is easily dealt with via a simple Entomb for Loam at least in G1. Unfortunately we can't play Silent Gravestone to blank Surgical and Arcanist anymore because we want to Loam.

Scrublands replace basic Swamp in this list and allows the use of exile removal from the board. It is also possible to play with only 1 Scrub, 3 Badlands and 3 Bayou if you don't want Path to Exile / Swords to plowshares.

Green offers 4 Abrupt Decay mainboard which are extremely good in the meta with all the important CMC2-3 permanents that the top decks hinge on (Arcanist, YP, Oko, Chalice, Equipments). The Crop Rotation package in the SB gives us a welcomed boost against Hogaak, SnT, Reanimator, Dredge, and Depths. Green also allows Assassin's Trophy over less flexible cards like Wear // Tear.

Against Aggro decks we have the Loam angle to develop and control the matchup. Delver and Eldrazi are slowed down by Decay and Souls, and will eventually fall to Hogaak and Scourge while DnT will lose to Bombardment.

Against Control decks, which means Bant Miracles since non-white is already favorable, Bombardment is extremely difficult for them to deal with and our Decays + Trophy prevents them from easily riding Oko. Lingering Souls plays a huge role in this matchup so use them well.

As for Combo decks we still have a great Sneak n Show matchup with the fast discard backed by Lili and Karakas. Reanimator decks can't win if we extract Griselbrand. Path and Karakas/Bog/Crop play an important role here. Turbo Depths matchup just got a lot better with white for stalling and green for Loam, Waste and Karakas/Crop. Hogaak and Dredge can be difficult but we have more tools to weather the storm (Karakas for Hogaak) as long as we prevent them from leveraging Bridge. Elves and Infect lose to Bombardment. Storm decks are the hardest and don't expect much if they pack Veil. However it is still entirely possible to convert a strong discard opener to a win.

Anyway, that's all I got for now. We'll see what the ban brings to the table.

*EDIT* Fixed list
    Last edited by Qweerios; 03-12-2020 at 09:18 AM.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Is there an updated list that includes Lurrus of the Dream-Den?

Thread Information