Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

So I played the Challenge list last night (except swapping one Gurmag for a Scourge, just to test it out) with pretty abysmal results. I think I won two matches I played? One against what I assume was bizzaro stormy and I got one against one of the many fair decks I played against.

I'd blame my results largely on me having no idea what I was doing, but I also had some abysmal luck - I played against a naturally drawn Jitte almost every game.

I've always thought these lists were super cool, and I'm planning on trying again tonight at a local event. The biggest issue I'm facing is that I have no idea how to sideboard. What to bring in is typically pretty clear, though I am very hesitant about over-boarding, but making cuts is difficult. Since the deck is very synergy based and many of the cards are weak individually, cutting some of the zombies makes the other ones worse and it just kind of... feels bad.

If anyone could supply me with some general sideboarding guidelines, I would greatly appreciate it. I also think I'm likely to try an E-Tutor package for tonight, or at least will jam some Ensnaring Bridges in the board - having read a couple pages of past discussion, I can see why Bridge was talked about so highly.

Early impressions -

Stitcher's Supplier feels exactly like what this deck has been wanting. Card is GAS. Blocker, sac-able body, 6 more cards in the graveyard. Jesus.

Have only goldfished at this point, but Sam Black's graveyard-dependent, zombie-heavy build (4 Supplier, 3 Scourge) feels faster and a good deal more consistent than the deck's prior iterations. The old Zombardment was a different animal depending on whether you drew faithless looting. Supplier picks up so much slack here by milling you into your Bloodghasts and Gravecrawlers - and giving you the Zombie body to pull the crawlers out of the yard. Not as good as looting because you don't get to filter your hand - and certainly creates a liability in terms of heavier graveyard dependency/graveyard hate vulnerability. The Supplier/Scourge tandem also shifts you towards combat and away from reach.

Perhaps a kind of transformational sideboarding plan would be helpful. Lean as hard as you want on the graveyard in Game 1, win violently and fast. Pivot away in Game 2 to mitigate the effects of sideboarded-in graveyard hate.

I'm going to test this:

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

2 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Goblin Bombardment

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Scourge of Nel Toth
    1 Anger

Sideboard is a work in progress, but would involve some combination of Surgical Extractions, Wear/Tears, Dark Confidants, Tidehollow Scullers, maybe a Zealous Persecution or Perish, and perhaps a copy of Innocent Blood/Tragic Slip/Fatal Push. Idea would be to side out the Entombs, Anger, some number of Scourges/Stitchers for Game 2 to dodge the hate.

Anger is the only spicy technological addition here. Worth a look. This deck is a joy to play and I could not be happier that the DRS ban is breathing new life into it. Glad to know your thoughts, and cheers.

I think if you are going to play entomb 1x bridge from below seems good. The synergy with gravecrawler + sac is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2013
    Texas

I lent my friend some badlands and he played this last night. He didn't do great but I think Goblin Bombardment is the best card in the deck and there should be more.

Not sure how I feel about Stitcher's Supplier. This isn't exactly dredge, I think we want more control over what goes in the GY. Maybe with a Dakmor Salvage in the list to help trigger Bloodghasts and hit land drops? It's not legal in paper yet so my friend played Zombie Infestation which was mediocre. We also considered Putrid Imp.

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    What do you Entomb for other than Ghast and Therapy? Entombing for Souls is underwhelming and grabing Bridge from Below is win-more IMO since it implies you already have either a huge board position or a recurring engine going. The unearth Ghoul is okay at best... What's the big draw?

Also, Smuggler's Copter sounds quite decent in this deck. I doubt it's any better than the other availlable cards but it is something worth keeping an eye out for.

I did some goldfishing and I agree with you that 4 Feeders is probably too many. I basically never want to draw multiples. I will cut one for the 4th Push. 3 removal spells is definitely not enough to handle any of the Delver -> Goyf openers that I expect from Canadian/American Delver decks to come out... Chumping with souls is nice and all but I think you need minimal removal to weather the early game and get your synergy rolling (AKA: get Bob and/or Looting rolling).

Tidehollow Sculler however is definitely up there in terms of quality Zombies. It is great against every deck and is by far the best Crawler/Bombardment enabler. I don't know exactly how many I want yet but so far I can only fit 3 in anyway...
    Entombing for ghast and therapy are something that happen often for me (usually to enable the other) but also provide copies 5-8 of each of those cards, which is not irrelevant. It also let's you grab dakmor salvage and darkblast, both of which I would run in the 60 if not 75. 1 of rotting rats to unearth was just to provide something that could be grabbed to enable gravecrawler. Although, that is seeming like less of an issue now.

I'm not sure if bridge is a win more card, if you have creatures on board and you opponent wants to kill them and the tokens to stabilize, then you've built in 2-1's. Similarly if bombardment is active, you're losing a creature, but bridge puts you at parity to maintain pressure. Double plus, the zombies enable grave crawler. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on bridge yet, it does a lot of work.

I'm not arguing against tidehollow sculler, the card is great, it is a 2mana tks, effectively. My only issue is that is extends the mana base further than it may need to go. I used to run bloodmoons in the side and white was sometimes hard to ensure while playing around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    Carrion Feeder is useful to help blank Swords to Plowshares and Terminus, for what it's worth.
    That is not irrelevant. StP is easily the best against this deck. It's just that 4 always felt like a bit much. It often hits the ground by itself and felt anemic in the face of a 5/5. The tribal can't block feelsbads also felt bad. Partly why I've been interested in some number of smuggler's copter.

In regards to sam blacks list, the stitch supplier and burning inquiry seem like great includes. It's correct that this sin't a dredge deck, but all of the engines work from the yard and moving pieces there now efficiently isn't bad. Especially in the case of burning inquiry which also acts as interaction with the opponent.

In re: my last post, Anger feels like win more. Too situational.

Supplier/Scourge kind of pushes the deck in a dredge-light direction. Am testing dropping white for blue. Lingering Souls, Sculler and sideboard options out, careful study (x4), prized amalgam in with a lower land count.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Stitcher's Supplier sounds great! I'm afraid I'll have to play him over Bob but in the end he might just be better. The Zombie that comes to mind for me here is Gurmag Angler as a 2-3of. With the amount of fetches and lootings that we play, a T2 Gurmag is very possible.

I played Zombardment at a 40ish player legacy weekly and it was awesome! I played the last list I posted.

R1 Bye....
    R2 2-1 BR Daretti/Welder brew
    R3 1-2 Sneak n Show
    R4 2-1 Manaless Dredge
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Jul 2013
    Texas

I took this through a league:

4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Dakmor Salvage
    3 Badlands
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Swamp
    2 Scrubland
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Mountain

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Lingering Souls
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    2 Entomb
    2 Bitterblossom
    1 Bridge from Below

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast

SB (direct lift from ScavengingBooze):
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Tidehollow Sculler
    3 Wear // Tear
    2 Zealous Persecution

1-2 Dredge (I actually should've won game 3 but made a crucial mistake of using Surgical to hit Bridge instead of Dread Return. It was just instinct and I forgot that I had won the previous game by using my self-sacrifice abilities to clear Bridges... This allowed him to get Elesh Norn in play off Narcos and Ichorids and I had an 8/8 carrion feeder that was 1/1 too small.)
    2-0 Nic Fit
    0-2 Burn (this is so bad it may be worth SB warmth)
    2-0 Stoneblade
    1-2 Storm (had him to empty hand in G3 but he had lots of mana in play and topdecked the win)

-I still think Goblin Bombardment is the best card in the deck. As a board control option it singlehandedly beat Nic Fit and Stoneblade. Smart players counter the shit out of it and you always want it. Has to be at least 3-of.

-Stitcher's Supplier is close to making me a believer but milling over two Bombardments gave me agita.

-The Entomb/Bridge package seems soft on paper but is huge in practice. Bridge gives you wins you have no business winning (helped close out games vs. Dredge and Storm). Entombing Lingering Souls with Bombardment out is good reach. I entombed Therapy vs. Storm as well.

-However, I do think I might need some sort of beefier creature. Angler or Tombstalker seems most obvious, but I also like Scourge of Nel Toth and Bone Dragon as they would be Entombable. Possibly worth moving Bitterblossom to side and playing the bigger creature in its place. I don't know that 3 Wear/Tear is necessary.

-Basic mountain and Dakmor Salvage weren't great, but didn't kill me... I want to try the mountain a couple more times just so you can't be cut off of red for looting and bombardment. Dakmor Salvage never ended up in the GY so I may just make that the other Paradise.

Has anyone tried out a jund version? I used to run it, mostly for deathrite. Decay is good in the board and possibly grisly salvage? Satyr wayfinder also seems ok though it would be nice if he was a zombie. Probably not necessary with stitcher’s supplier as he is just better. Lotleth troll seems fun pitching crawlers and ghasts but is probably terrible.

Also lets you run choke if you want. Or ground seal, which seems decent depending on hate. Ancient grudge also becomes an option.

On another note, I really like the card urborg justice in the side. Lets you answer fat or tnn with ease, very easy to turn on. Tragic slip is similar but generally decks with creatures you can’t kill via bombardment are susceptible to edicts.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Wow lots of discussion going on! I'll try to answer a few points that were brought up. Here we go:

-How many Carrion Feeders? The primary function of feeder is to be a sacrifice outlet, the second is to be a CMC1 Zombie. The card itself is garbage but those 2 points provide high synergy with the rest of the deck. The best sacrifice outlet in this deck is by far Bombardment. We want no more than 3 copies of Bombardment because we basically never want to see multiple copies but we highly desire the effect. Once a Bombardment is in play, the effect of Feeder is irrelevant. Feeder's sacrifice effect, like Bombardment, doesn't stack so drawing multiple Feeders is not something we can take much advantage of other than splitting the distribution of counters. Feeder's zombie typing and low CMCi are great at enabling Crawler recursion. With supplier coming out, zombie typing and Therapy fodder will be more readily availlable and Feeder's inclusion will hinge more on it's ability than it's typing. For these reasons I believe we want to play as many Feeders as we play Bombardments. I currently play no more than 3 copies.

-You need mainboard removal! I am not going to tell Sam Black how to play and I understand how nearly every list is modelled after his deck. However, removal plays a critical role in this deck and is often the only way out. First, we don't have the most efficient aggro plan, therefore efficient aggro decks will put a lot of pressure on us to assemble a strong engine or board position. Removal (and/or a fatty) is key when facing any Delver/Goyf, Eldrazi, or Burn/Sligh decks as it removes enough early pressure for us to get Souls to chump block and some degree of recursive beats. Second, there are a lot of decks that have access to mainboard hosers against our deck namely Ooze, Elesh Norn, and to some degree Revoker and Mirran Crusader. Any deck with GSZ (Elves, Maverick, Bant) will have mana acceleration into an Ooze. Ooze singlehandedly destroys this deck... It is way worst than DRS. If reanimator grabs Elesh Norn, we auto-lose. DnT has access to a lot of disruption that can prevent us from functioning. An active Mom and a Jitte or a simple Revoker on Bombardment is nearly insurmountable without removal. My last list contained 4 Fatal Push and I highly suggest anyone who picks up thos deck to include at least 2-4 Pushes/Plowshares in their mainboard with the remaining copies in the SB.

-How do you sideboard with so many synergy cards? It's not that difficult really, value is not the answer to every matchup. Against fair creature decks you want to get rid of your discsrd suite in favor of removal cards. Against combo decks you want to maximize interraction so you need to take out all of your dead cards and clunky cards. Removal spells tend to be dead against combo, Lingering Souls and Bombardment are too slow and clunky. Against control decks we tend to have a good matchup. I usually side out removal and some amount of discard/lands in favor of grindy cards and specific answers like wear//tear. Personally I am a fan of the Etutor package and SB Lilianas. Etutor doubles the availlability of our silver bullet hosers and can always grab disruption in the form of Sculler and Bombardment. The silver bullets that I highly value include:

Tormod's Crypt to complement 2 Surgicals for a total of 3 0-costed GY hate cards + etutor;
    Ensnaring Bridge as a reactive card against Sneak n Show, Reanimator and Eldrazi decks for instance;
    Seal of Cleansing to complement 2 Wear // Tear against Chalice, Leyline of the Void/Sanctity, RiP and Jitte/BSkull;
    Arctic Moon and Blood Moon against the myriad of nonbasic lands that we have no answers for...

The other SB card I highly value is Liliana of the Veil. I currently play 3 copies because being a non-blue deck, most of our cards have a specific effect that can make them shine in some matchups or be irrelevent in another which makes them narrower (AKA not a cantrip/counterspell). This means that when we try to lay out a SB map we often have a lot of cards to take out and not enough to bring in. I found that Liliana fills that void the best. Against aggro decks she acts as a recurring edict. Against Combo she complements our discard suite with recurring discard and annoying sacrifice outlets. Against Control the recurring discard and impending ultimate slowly widdles them down. The fact that you can get some value and some sweet synergy from the symetrical discard is only the cherry on top.

-Why I don't like Entomb? I used to be all about Entomb when I played DRS and Young Pyro Bombardment and I know how good Entombkng Ghast, Therapy and Souls can be. Without DRS and Pyro however, entombing has lost most of it's charm. One of the underlying core foundations of Zombardment is it's fine balance lf graveyard abuse and independance. Every card in the original deck can be played against some form of GY hate. GY hate only disrupts the added value and synergy of our cards but doesn't prevent us from playing them. We can always play our zombies and our discard spells and continue to disrupt our opponent and build our board position all the while we look for that GY hate answer. It's its resillience to GY disruption coupled with its demand for GY disruption that makes it a mind-boggling deck to play against. Entomb and it's package (Bridge, Nel Toth) leaves us more vulnerable to GY hate and doesn't particularly generate much value outside of Bridge. Another reason why I don't like Entomb anymore is that it competes with better cards like removal spells.

-What about a Jund version? Unfortunately green really doesn't have anything to offer other than Abrupt Decay...

Other than that I don't think Nel Toth has a future in this deck. Sacrificing 2 creatures and being uncastable from your hand is too hefty of a cost when you could easily just plop down a 5/5 zombie on T2 with Supplier for 1 mana instead... My only concern with playing a heavy Gurmag list (2-3 copies) is that I won't be able to play Bobs anymore. Bob is so good in so many ways in this deck and easily outclasses Bitterblossom and Copter... Perhaps Supplier + Looting will prove to be enough velocity and the fact that Gurmag can crush Delver and Burn decks will push it over the edge?

So much to test... This deck is amazing!
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Grixis Version

Picks up Careful Study, Prized Amalgam and drops Lingering Souls, Tidehollow Sculler and 2 lands.
    Its very graveyard reliant and susceptible to hate. However, it sees a lot of cards and mounts pressure quickly. Gets tons of value too, uses every part of the Buffalo.

4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Badlands
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp

2 Entomb
    1 Innocent Blood
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Careful Study
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Goblin Bombardment

2 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Prized Amalgam
    2 Scourge of Nel Toth

Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Abrade
    2 Innocent Blood
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Silent Gravestone
    2 Liliana of the Veil

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I goldfished a bunch of games with Supplier and Gurmag over Bob and Sculler and I am completely sold. Stitcher's is almost always getting played and sacrificed right away and nets an average of 1-2 cards. With Supplier and Looting, the deck has enough velocity and synergy to keep it rolling for days. With Gurmag the deck is also more zombie-dense and the huge fish solves most of our aggro troubles. T2 Gurmag after double Therapy is gold. I guess now I need a new sideboard...

Any thoughts on Engineered plague as a SB card? Great against Elves, Empty the Warrens and DnT (Humans). Not bad against fringe decks like Enchantress (Druid) or anything that tries to play 4 Nemesis. Am I missing anything? Is it good enough to bring in against Mentor?
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Did anything ever come about from the hidden stockpile lists?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

I goldfished a bunch of games with Supplier and Gurmag over Bob and Sculler and I am completely sold. Stitcher's is almost always getting played and sacrificed right away and nets an average of 1-2 cards. With Supplier and Looting, the deck has enough velocity and synergy to keep it rolling for days. With Gurmag the deck is also more zombie-dense and the huge fish solves most of our aggro troubles. T2 Gurmag after double Therapy is gold. I guess now I need a new sideboard...

Any thoughts on Engineered plague as a SB card? Great against Elves, Empty the Warrens and DnT (Humans). Not bad against fringe decks like Enchantress (Druid) or anything that tries to play 4 Nemesis. Am I missing anything? Is it good enough to bring in against Mentor?
    Post your list

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by grimfield View Post
    Has anyone tried out a jund version? I used to run it, mostly for deathrite. Decay is good in the board and possibly grisly salvage? Satyr wayfinder also seems ok though it would be nice if he was a zombie. Probably not necessary with stitcher’s supplier as he is just better. Lotleth troll seems fun pitching crawlers and ghasts but is probably terrible.

Also lets you run choke if you want. Or ground seal, which seems decent depending on hate. Ancient grudge also becomes an option.

On another note, I really like the card urborg justice in the side. Lets you answer fat or tnn with ease, very easy to turn on. Tragic slip is similar but generally decks with creatures you can’t kill via bombardment are susceptible to edicts.

There is a green lingering souls, don't forget... Acorn Harvest. There are some interesting green zombies... Putrid Leech, Glissa the Traitor, Lotleth Troll, Shambling Shell... but they are higher on the curve. Of course, green gets you loam, venvegine, etc.

Wow lots of discussion going on! I'll try to answer a few points that were brought up. Here we go:

-How many Carrion Feeders? The primary function of feeder is to be a sacrifice outlet, the second is to be a CMC1 Zombie. The card itself is garbage but those 2 points provide high synergy with the rest of the deck. The best sacrifice outlet in this deck is by far Bombardment. We want no more than 3 copies of Bombardment because we basically never want to see multiple copies but we highly desire the effect. Once a Bombardment is in play, the effect of Feeder is irrelevant. Feeder's sacrifice effect, like Bombardment, doesn't stack so drawing multiple Feeders is not something we can take much advantage of other than splitting the distribution of counters. Feeder's zombie typing and low CMCi are great at enabling Crawler recursion. With supplier coming out, zombie typing and Therapy fodder will be more readily availlable and Feeder's inclusion will hinge more on it's ability than it's typing. For these reasons I believe we want to play as many Feeders as we play Bombardments. I currently play no more than 3 copies.
    I agree, this card is very feast or famine.. but I still think building a big threat is good. With the right early draw you can jump on decks with a 5/5 by turn 3 while they aren't able to hold up removal for it.

-You need mainboard removal! I am not going to tell Sam Black how to play and I understand how nearly every list is modelled after his deck. However, removal plays a critical role in this deck and is often the only way out. First, we don't have the most efficient aggro plan, therefore efficient aggro decks will put a lot of pressure on us to assemble a strong engine or board position. Removal (and/or a fatty) is key when facing any Delver/Goyf, Eldrazi, or Burn/Sligh decks as it removes enough early pressure for us to get Souls to chump block and some degree of recursive beats. Second, there are a lot of decks that have access to mainboard hosers against our deck namely Ooze, Elesh Norn, and to some degree Revoker and Mirran Crusader. Any deck with GSZ (Elves, Maverick, Bant) will have mana acceleration into an Ooze. Ooze singlehandedly destroys this deck... It is way worst than DRS. If reanimator grabs Elesh Norn, we auto-lose. DnT has access to a lot of disruption that can prevent us from functioning. An active Mom and a Jitte or a simple Revoker on Bombardment is nearly insurmountable without removal. My last list contained 4 Fatal Push and I highly suggest anyone who picks up thos deck to include at least 2-4 Pushes/Plowshares in their mainboard with the remaining copies in the SB.
    With so few go-wide decks, why not Innocent Blood? Carrion Feeder is the only issue... and that card will likely be trimmed to make room.

-Why I don't like Entomb? I used to be all about Entomb when I played DRS and Young Pyro Bombardment and I know how good Entombkng Ghast, Therapy and Souls can be. Without DRS and Pyro however, entombing has lost most of it's charm. One of the underlying core foundations of Zombardment is it's fine balance lf graveyard abuse and independance. Every card in the original deck can be played against some form of GY hate. GY hate only disrupts the added value and synergy of our cards but doesn't prevent us from playing them. We can always play our zombies and our discard spells and continue to disrupt our opponent and build our board position all the while we look for that GY hate answer. It's its resillience to GY disruption coupled with its demand for GY disruption that makes it a mind-boggling deck to play against. Entomb and it's package (Bridge, Nel Toth) leaves us more vulnerable to GY hate and doesn't particularly generate much value outside of Bridge. Another reason why I don't like Entomb anymore is that it competes with better cards like removal spells.
    I really think Bridge from Below helps us win games we have no business winning... I almost always want it in the GY. The trick is having a replacement package post-board. That I think hasn't been solved.

Other than that I don't think Nel Toth has a future in this deck. Sacrificing 2 creatures and being uncastable from your hand is too hefty of a cost when you could easily just plop down a 5/5 zombie on T2 with Supplier for 1 mana instead... My only concern with playing a heavy Gurmag list (2-3 copies) is that I won't be able to play Bobs anymore. Bob is so good in so many ways in this deck and easily outclasses Bitterblossom and Copter... Perhaps Supplier + Looting will prove to be enough velocity and the fact that Gurmag can crush Delver and Burn decks will push it over the edge?
    I feel like playing Gurmag Angler in this deck robs it of a lot of its "specialness" and there is a better looting/gurmag deck than this. That's not to say that you're wrong. The card is so dumb, I wish it didn't exist because it just sucks up all the air about what's special about black... but I digress.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Post your list

3 Carrion Feeder
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Gurmag Angler

3 Fatal Push
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment

1 Undiscovered Paradise
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    //SB
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Tidehollow Sculler
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Alpine Moon
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Blood Moon
    3 Liliana of the Veil

@Maharis

I preffer both Push and StP over Blood here. Instant speed is relevant and being able to target down any creature without fear of losing anything on your side is quite relevant. I play Push because it answers everything I care about aside Elesh Norn (fringe) and is on-color. Why I should care more about sac effects than targetted removal is the question here. Besides, with Lilianas in the SB I have plenty of high quality sac effects if need be.

Gurmag is amazing here and can easily be played on T2 via multiple avenues involving Supplier and/or Looting. A giant, cheap, and blocking zombie is a godsend. With plenty of decks unable to remove Gurmag or Enchantments, having Gurmag + Bombardment + Crawler means there is no stopping the machine gun.

I am curious about this better Gurmag/Looting deck. What is it?
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

Jul 2013
    Texas

I preffer both Push and StP over Blood here. Instant speed is relevant and being able to target down any creature without fear of losing anything on your side is quite relevant. I play Push because it answers everything I care about aside Elesh Norn (fringe) and is on-color. Why I should care more about sac effects than targetted removal is the question here. Besides, with Lilianas in the SB I have plenty of high quality sac effects if need be.

Gurmag is amazing here and can easily be played on T2 via multiple avenues involving Supplier and/or Looting. A giant, cheap, and blocking zombie is a godsend. With plenty of decks unable to remove Gurmag or Enchantments, having Gurmag + Bombardment + Crawler means there is no stopping the machine gun.

I am curious about this better Gurmag/Looting deck. What is it?
    Fair enough. I just have an irrational fear of Nimble Mongoose I guess. Also hits opposing Gurmags/TNNs in a pinch.

I feel like some sort of value/midrange BR goodstuff deck that turbos out Gurmag Angler isn't... necessarily better, but a more cohesive gurmag deck. Something chock full of removal and disruption instead of synergies. So you're not in the situation where you delve away all your synergies for a 5/5 that eats an STP. But, it does have a relevant creature type and is a good backup plan. So I'll give it a shot.

Jul 2011
    Germany

I currently run the following:

4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    2 Scourge of Nel Toth
    4 Stitcher's Supplier

3 Bridge from Below
    3 Goblin Bombardment

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lingering Souls
    4 Thoughtseize

3 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    2 Marsh Flats

//SB:
    2 Tidehollow Sculler
    2 Hidden Stockpile
    2 Zealous Persecution
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Hide // Seek

My last winning streak ended today with 1:2 Br Reanimate but before i beat the following decks in a row:
    2:1 Br Reanimate
    2:0 Burn
    2:0 Miracle
    2:0 ANT
    2:0 DnT
    2:1 TinFins
    2:0 UB Reanimate

According to: https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...st-ban-legacy/ this deck is hot and yes my random test matchups shows a high "Reanimate" strategy that needs to be on the radar.

Overall Zombardment always was build to beat various combo decks and grind out slower control decks or blue based counter ideads. A shell with a low amount on removal and the "can't block" issue meant aggro decks are a harder matchups.

Stitcher's Supplier clearly is the new star (hey it can block too!) and with this card you want to profit more from the yard G1. Bridge from Below + Sac outlets is insane, but bridge alone will quickly generate value vs non-exile removal or in blocks&attacks cases. Getting T1 Stitcher into Therapy + Bridge is awesome too. Zombardment never was good with a lot of mainboard removal, space is tight and removal in most cases isnt needed or offers not enough value G1. You can grind out any deck based on small creatures (common in legacy) with bombardment.

To adress the "can't block" problem, the new version not only runs stitcher (blocking with DRS wasnt the right idea, for stitcher its okay to die), bridge enables a stream of 2/2 tokens (which is also save vs -1/-1 sweeper) and a 6/6 flying dragon deals also with a lot of bigger legacy stuff (gofy, angler, smasher etc.) if needed.

I will not vote for the big Zombie-Fish, he still isnt hot vs roadblocks like TNN (even Gofy) other Anglers etc. He cant be discarded, comes back etc. so its "only" a 5/5 that dodges some removal (bolt, push, decay) but i expect the new meta forms around exile based Removal (mainly swords) anyway. So in this case you want smaller creatures and/or stuff that comes back cause the backup plan always was Feeder+Bombardment in response of exile removal. Angler might be better in a list with maindeck removal (like Qweerios) because you also get more spells to feed him - it isnt true that angler is easily filled cause a lot of classic Zombardment cards have Flashback (therapy, loooting, souls = 12!) or comes back (Crawler, Ghast) and exile them for the big fish can quickly backfire.

Playset Carrion Feeder - i used 3 in the past as well but now with Bridges, overall more Zombies and possibly more Exile-based Removal a full playset is better. Carrion Feeder is a really good utility card and can also quickly end the game on its own. Running 4 copies also means it isnt a problem to lose him vs Removal, your own therapy or stitcher. Clearly a underrated dude but cc1 and 0 sac ability let him still shine.

Sideboard is under construction, i normally use Bitterblossom but Hidden Stockpile can also be strong and generates the token faster (if you need a blocker "now"). Hide // Seek is a fun card too, clearly underplayed but usefull in a lot of situations (even vs burn it means 6 life if you get fire blast which is huge). So a lot of cards will work depend on the (local) meta.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

This deck looks really sweet with the addition of stitcher's supplier and the loss of deathrite from the format. I think the deck needs bridge from below to really capitalize on its sacrifice synergies and scourge looks like a cool addition too, but wouldn't some number of entomb really help out? You never want to draw scourge or bridge, and if you do the only card to get them from your hand to your graveyard is looting (unless you use a discard spell on yourself). I feel like having entomb as "additional copies" of these cards would help out a lot. The deck also only mills with stitcher's supplier, so it doesn't seem very consistent at actually getting those cards into the graveyard in its current form.

I also agree that bitterblossom seems purely like a sideboard card for this deck. It doesn't do anything exciting or particularly synergistic in the main board, but it can be good post-board in anticipation of gravehate.

I'm looking at re-sleeving this deck back up, I haven't played it for several years. I noticed several decks running 2 Diabolic Edict's in the sideboard. My question is why, when every land we have in the deck taps for black, are we not instead running Geth's Verdict? From my memory this deck grinds out and can have some pretty close games, it seems the extra life loss might be worth it.

Thread Information