Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Hybrid View

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

[Deck] Zombardment

On 3-25-2012, Sam Black did what many of us could not. He managed to create a decent zombie list for Legacy and pilot it to a top 16 finish at a Star City Games Open. Since I was unable to find a thread for this deck on the forum, I took it upon myself to create one.

ZOMBARDMENT
    Here's his list:

Zombies by Sam Black Top 16 SCG Open 3-25-2012
    4x Bloodghast
    4x Carrion Feeder
    3x Geralf's Messenger
    4x Gravecrawler
    2x Rotting Rats
    2x Tombstalker
    2x Goblin Bombardment
    1x Tragic Slip
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Faithless Looting
    1x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Hymn to Tourach
    1x Inquisition of Kozilek
    4x Lingering Souls
    1x Thoughtseize
    3x Swamp
    2x Badlands
    4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Marsh Flats
    1x Polluted Delta
    2x Scrubland
    1x Undiscovered Paradise
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    Sideboard:
    3x Dark Confidant
    1x Goblin Bombardment
    1x Grave Pact
    1x Darkblast
    1x Disenchant
    1x Geth's Verdict
    1x Tragic Slip
    3x Deathmark
    1x Inquisition of Kozilek
    1x Thoughtseize
    1x Vindicate

A good start for a zombies list, but it needed a little streamlining, and then

Zombies by Sam Black Top 8 GP Atlanta 7-1-2012
    3 Blood Artist
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    3 Tidehollow Sculler
    2 Bitterblossom
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    4 Lingering Souls
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Tragic Slip
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    Sideboard:
    2 Dark Confidant
    1 Darkblast
    2 Disenchant
    2 Go for the Throat
    2 Perish
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Vindicate

Wow. A top 8 at a Grand Prix with this? That must mean that Black is on to something here...

Now lets look at some card choices and their purpose in the deck:

Looking at creatures, they all fit the sacrificial theme, whether they are the fodder (Gravecrawler, Bloodghast, Tidehollow Sculler) or that they benefit from the sacrifice (Carrion Feeder, Blood Artist). They all are aggressive cards, but Tidehollow Sculler can provide some added utility as well.

There is also a mini token theme going on here with Bitterblossom and Lingering Souls providing more sacrificial fodder as well as either additional blockers or attackers should the need arise.

Then we have the disruption including discard (Cabal Therapy, Thoughtseize) and removal (Goblin Bombardment, Tragic Slip), all of which are good and solid choices in almost any meta.

Any time an aggressive deck has access to good, cheap card advantage, that deck gets a major boost and here is no different. Faithless Looting is amazing in this deck more often drawing you 2 cards and discarding 1 or 2 to be used later than just drawing and discarding.

The sideboard in this new version is still a little bit of a mess of proven decent sideboard cards. A mix of removal (Disenchant, Darkblast, Vindicate, Go for the Throat, Perish) plus Pithing Needle for activated abilities and Surgical Extraction for graveyard hate can go a long way in shoring up those odd matchups. The only oddball here is Dark Confidant, who seems out of place amongst the silver bullets. Maybe there's a matchup where the card advantage provided is incredibly important. I'm not really sure myself.

It's cool to see something fresh and exciting break the monotony of Legacy's big bad decks once in a while, and with a little support by players, this deck could turn out to be a real contender.
    Last edited by Zupponn; 07-03-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    It's a solid list...
    You lost me there.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    You lost me there.
    You disagree?

With all due respect, you could hand Sam Black a deck with sixty Mountains in it and he'd still find a way to win.

Aside from that, it's a nifty idea for the current meta. But it still looks like a mess.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    More expensive, less color-flexible, only limited to Zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    With all due respect, you could hand Sam Black a deck with sixty Mountains in it and he'd still find a way to win.

Aside from that, it's a nifty idea for the current meta. But it still looks like a mess.
    This seems like kind of a stupid thing to say. A deck is only as good as the cards in it, it's performance at an objective level is measurable only by composition. The player can only match the performance that the deck is actually capable of, never exceed it (otherwise the implication is that the cards can do something that they can't, which is impossible) so a skilled pilot will surely make the most out of the deck, saying that the only reason it did well is because the person playing it is good is kind of a misnomer. The deck is good enough to get there, if it wasn't, it wouldn't have made it.

I find that legacy in general has very well defined ideas as to what is considered good and things that fall outside that realm are considered bad: for example, creature enchantments vs equipment. Blouses took a card type that is largely considered bad and performed extremely well.

I feel that soon, synergy will overstep "goodstuff.dec", as it should shortly in legacy. This deck screams of synergy, it has multiple avenues to victory, the cards function well together, and it's threats, removal, and win-condition are all recurring which is exceedingly hard to deal with. A concern for sure is going to be Scavenging Ooze, which intelligent players will use to great effect against the deck, but it's something that can be overcome and handled.

keepin' it unreal
    May 2007
    Gothenburg, Sweden

You should look better through threads:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ving-Dead-Girl
    "Want all, lose all."

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    A concern for sure is going to be Scavenging Ooze, which intelligent players will use to great effect against the deck, but it's something that can be overcome and handled.
    Yes, Scavenging Ooze is a pain, but boarding in Deathmarks helps a lot. Also, I've played against the deck with Dragon Stompy and found that Blood Moon can be pretty brutal too.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

What are people's thoughts on the deck right now? I'm interested in building it, just because it's so different than the others out there. :)
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I built this deck on MTGO, and I find really cool. Turn 1 IoK, Turn 2 Cabal Therapy Flashback Cabal Therapy. GG?
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Until you stumble onto a Show and Tell player packing Leylines of Sanctity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Played yesterday in a 54 people tournament with a kinda straight list.
    20 lands (10 fetches, 2 swamps, 3 Scrubland, 3 Badland, 1 Bayou, 1 Undiscovered Paradise)
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Carrion Feeder
    1 Unearth
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Lingering Souls
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Blood Artist
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Faithless Looting
    (Last minute call to cut 2 Thoughtseize in favor of 2 Blood Artists to test them.)

My sideboard was a mess..
    3 Dark Confidant
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Leyline of the Void
    1 Disenchant
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Perish
    1 Dark Blast
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Sword to Plowshares
    1 Oblivion Ring

To the matches..all out of memory so it probably isn't quite correct but anyway..

M1 vs Junk
    G1 He starts with a combination of Deathrite Shaman into Mother of Runes, Jitte, Ooze and I die horribly.
    G2 I get him down, if I remember correctly with souls tokens..
    G3 We hit each other, he with a Mirran Crusader, I with souls tokens. I'm on 4 with a board consisting off 1 Goblin Bombardment, 2 Souls Tokens and 1 Gravecrawler, he the named Mirran Crusader and 2 Mother of Runes.
    I Ship the turn, sac the crawler in his upkeep to kill a Mother of Runes, he gives the crusader pro red.
    I sac a token to kill his other mother, he protects itself with pro red. which won me the game since I now could block the crusader with the left token. My turn flashback souls, cast StP on his crusader, kill his mother and rode to victory.

1-0 (2-1)

M2 vs Miraclerip
    G1 He starts off with RIP into Energy Field, I scoop.
    G2 He has no chance since I rip his hand off with Therapy, Scullers and beat him down fast enough.
    G3 Real grindy game, I discard a Counterbalance, he plays a RIP, I discard his single Helm of Obedience, he wraths me several times while I beat him down. He lands a counterbalance and beats me down with a Clique which is met with an Abrupt Decay (so I don't die) I rip of the other one to remove his counterbalance and get a confidant going which meets a stp. I get him on 2, he lands a Force Field. We go to time and he doesn't rip his last win condition (Angels) and neither do I rip Oblivion Ring/Disenchant for his Field to kill him (would've ripped it on my next turn =/).

1-0-1
    (3-1-1)

M3 vs Punishing Maverick
    G1 He gets Ooze online.. Kinght aswell, maybe a Jitte? Anyway I lose fast.
    G2 gets grindy and I manage to win.
    G3 He's a little flooded and I win.

2-0-1
    (5-2-1)

M4 vs Burn
    G1 I keep a hand with 3 lands (2 fetches 1 Paradise), 2 Gravecrawler & 1 Tidehollow Sculler. Starting with a crawler and getting hit by a bolt I know I'm up against burn. In my second turn I play the Paradise and play the Sculler, seeing Price of Progress which made me stay on 1 1/2 lands (mostly 1, sometimes if needed I played the Paradise) and beat him down with my 3 creatures (I only drew lands and 1 Bombardment).
    I manage to race him barely.
    G2 I keep a hand with Carrion Feeder, Gravecrawler, 3 lands and 2 Blood Artists.

3-0-1
    (7-2-1)

M5 vs Merfolk
    G1 He starts with a mulligan to 5 and I win easily.
    G2 He surprises me with a Chalice on 1 and wins after quite a long game since hes missing his second Island forever while I drew nothing but lands.
    G3 I start with double Deathrite Shaman and win the game while having 0 lands since he wasted 2.. I did drew some other lands but kept them in hand since I didn't need them for returning Bloodghasts.

4-0-1
    (9-3-1)

M6 (finals) vs Punishing Jund
    Ugly games..
    I'll make it short.. I was flooded both games..(10 & 12 lands after seeing 18 respectively 22 cards). Saw 0 Lingering Souls, 0 Perish and G1 he had 3 Deathrite Shaman, G2 2 of them (first one ripped t1 after Therapy on named Shaman)..

4-1-1
    (9-5-1)

Which led to place 6 for a Snapcaster Mage.
    At least I had a ton of fun playing with the deck (out of the finals which was kinda depressing).

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Is it okay if I run IoK instead of Thoughtseize?

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post
    Is it okay if I run IoK instead of Thoughtseize?
    Definitely. There are few things in legacy that you want to pick off that cost more than 3, and you can always therapy those things out of their hand. Also, I'm betting that there will be games that you play where that 2 life is relevant.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. :)

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

How is Bitterblossom in the deck? Also, I want to try out the High Priest too, good move?

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

I think you can't effectively replace Thoughtseize with IoK. There are so many situations in which you really want to take that FoW or that Sneak Attack or that Griselbrand or that JTMS... Of course Cabal Therapy can mitigate here - but thats a 2 for 1 exchange. Especially against Sneak Attack or JTMS-decks you will later curse yourself for playing budget.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

It's not about budget really, since I play duals and what-not, it's more the life-loss I'm not so happy about...

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

bruizar

Is there a place for a young pyromancer?

Thread Information