Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zombardment

Site Contributor

May 2018

Re: [Deck] Zombardment

Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    Went to a top4 finish yesterday on a 1k, 33 players tournament! I did a 5-0-1 and won the 1st match on the top8 vs Eldrazi! Lost to a death and taxes on top 4 unfortunately... The match I ID we played for fun and I won, so in theory i went 6-0

I used a list similar to shonen's except with the goblin cratermakers instead of the abrades, and he won me some games beating!

My wins were vs 2 grixis control, bg depths, death and taxes, miracles, uw stoneblade and eldrazi. Lost to a death and taxes (I won g1 and he drew ALL the hate on g2 and g3) on the semi-finals....

Pretty confident with this list as it is! Goblins are great, Gurmag t2 is also great. Lingering souls won me many matches!
    I'm not sure about ensnaring bridge on the SB, I think I might change it for the 2nd EE.

I have the Legacy nationals in 3 weeks, theres still time to make some final refinements on the deck!
    Congrats! I bet those Cratermaker's felt good against Eldrazi. I'll be trying them out soon.

I assume Souls were good in the BG depths matches? How did those games play out?

Site Contributor

May 2018

I took Zombardment to Eternal Weekend— a long report from a long weekend, in order:

Trial: 5-0, won a bye

2-0 vs D & T
    2-1 vs Maverick
    2-0 vs Sneak and Show
    2-0 vs Sneak and Show
    2-0 vs Sneak and Show

D&T match was standard fare, the Maverick game went super long and I faced down a Maze of Ith and Sword of War and Peace for an ungodly number of turns (I believe he connected 5+ times) which he kept switching between a BoP and a Stoneforge to have it on attacking and blocking duty. I kept getting damage back in with Bloodghasts, Gurmag (Maze target), Undiscovered Paradise, and a Gravecrawler that could come back via a Supplier so I kept his life at parity while mine dwindled. On the last turn I top-decked a Bombardment to ping him down from 9 with exact lethal damage.

The following 3 games against S & S I drew pretty nuts... I brought in 1 Chains, 2 Lili, 1 Ensnaring Bridge, and 1 Wear // Tear each time and together with super aggressive discard (so many Entombs for Cabal Therapy) I the saw the relevant cards much of the time. Best anecdote: my S & S opponent, facing lethal damage, Show and Tells in a Sneak Attack, and I put in Chains. After the requisite request for a judge, he sighs and activates Sneak Attack to put in a Griselband (last card in hand, which he must have just drawn for turn) to get his 7 lifelink damage to avoid dying. I take the hit and finish him off a few turns later.

Legacy Champs: 6-4-1

Bye
    1-1-1 vs D & T
    2-0 vs Miracles
    2-0 vs Miracles
    2-0 vs Food Chain
    0-2 vs Czech pile (top 4 pilot)
    2-0 vs. Grixis Control
    2-1 vs Czech pile
    0-2 vs Grixis Control
    1-2 vs Omni tell
    0-2 vs Miracles

Against D & T he takes game 1 on a Miran Crusader holding a Sword, game 2 Bombardment kills everything he has, and game 3 is a grindfest. As we go to turns, I have a Bombardment on board but no recursive creatures to sac, and I’m facing down a Flickerwisp. He gets me to 2, I draw a Zombie so I can recursively ping down his threat (and basically any other threat he might draw beside Revoker) but I can’t kill him in time for turns.

Starting on a draw feels bad, but I’m not surprised when I end up playing against Miracles the next two rounds. Not much to say there... lots of fetches are great with Bloodghast against them, as is Cabal Therapy and Bombardment. I did win through a turn 2 Counterbalance in a game 1, which felt good. Faithless Looting flashbacks were nice to test the top card (always Swords...).

Food Chain was frightening, with a combo kill and recursive threats, but I found that the discard was good enough. I played a Goblin Bombardment into the Assassin’s Trophy I knew he had in hand in order to deal with a Ballista on 2 by sacing my board. Getting a Bloodghast trigger off the land was nice.

I felt a bit unprepared for the Czech pile deck I played in round 6, since I hadn’t given too much thought to the archetype recently. Leovold is a still insane, and I lost game one primarily to him. Game 2 my opponent boarded into Counterbalance and removed his Forces... full grindfest. I was able to EE on 3 a Leovold and a Lili the Last Hope, but my opponent got enough time to cantrip into 3 Snapcasters, who got the job done.

Grixis Control, like Miracles, is normally a good match up. The next round I played it and Graveyard value+discard got there. I believe I beat Strix into Strix into Strix. Game two he opens on Needle but I have an Abrade that I save up until it’s sure to connect and then the Bombardment closes things out.

Round 8, Czech Pile again, I mull to five in game one but I’m able to Faithless Looting into triple Bloodghast turn 2, which gets there. Game 2 I believe I lost to Leovold, and game three Bombardment gets there even through repeated Marsh Casualties.

The last round of day one I’m so exhausted and I mull to a decent five. I’m thrilled when I see that my opponent is on Grixis Control, but he plays tight and outvalues me game 1 by a hair... the body of the Strix. My last five draws are lands, which is frustrating. Game two I mull and keep a 6-card hand that I shouldn’t have—two Suppliers, a Scrubland, a Gravecrawler, a Thoughtseize and a Bloodghast, I believe. The hand would have been fine with a red source and great with a second land, but that’s not what it was and not having access to Looting as a top deck made that a bad keep. I proceed to naturally blank on lands for 4 draws, then my opponent lands a Jace and seals my fate for the next 5 turns (correctly spell piercing my Entomb-for-shuffle). It was an ugly way to end day one, and I was happy to have the night to reset.

Day two two I start out against Omni-Tell. I shred his hand game one and get in with Zombies. I don’t see any red cards and he pitches a Pact of Negation to a Force, which suggests Omni Tell. Game two he goes Leyline of Sanctity into turn two Show and Tell/Omni/Emrakul. Fair enough. Game three he mulls to four looking for those Leylines, but doesn’t hit. I disrupt his early kill, and land a Chains when his countermagic is down. At this point I misplay by not resolving a Faithless Looting under my own Chains, since the discards (even with the extra two) would have been beneficial with my Bloodghasts in hand, and seeing any extra cards is good—any discard (1/6 of the deck) or my Ensnaring Bridge would have locked up the game. Instead he has the time to Impluse (which “puts a card in hand” rather than draw) into Show and Tell, Omni, Emrakul. Two of those were his natural draws, since I had seen his hand 3 turns before. Lesson learned... think through things, even when Chains makes it a headache.

Last game of the Champs I play against Miracles and all is going well until I Therapy him (blind name Jace since he has three lands and three cards in hand, my board is empty) and I see three Accumulated Knowledge. He draws a jillion cards and lands a Mentor, which finishes me. Game two I land Chains but he has an EE for it, and my Liliana of the Veil can’t beat his Mentor. Turns out he runs three Mentors. (EDIT: Later realized this was Gul Dukat, aka Daniel Goetschel).

I decided to try my luck at a Legacy challenge (1-1 odd number of players, got stuck sitting around with the bye round two) to end on a better note.

1-2 vs BUG lands

Round one I play against a sweet BUG lands deck, winning game one from Bridge from Below plus Gravecrawler plus Bombardment—a one turn clock. Game two Leovold protects his Jace and I scoop so we can have time for round 3. Game three is interesting. I lead on Thoughtseize and see Engineered Plague (!), Thespian’s Stage, Ghost Quarter, Wasteland, Crop Rotation, Fetchland, Cantrip. I take the Crop Rotation since, as miserable as Plague is, I can’t beat a turn 3 Marit Lage. I get out a Gravecrawler and a Bloodghast, he puts Plague on Zombies (shutting off half my deck), but I resolve Lingering Souls. He Surgicals Souls, then casts another Crop Rotation for Marit Lage. I have two draw steps to find Liliana of the Veil, which I don’t, so I lose.

2-1 vs LED Dredge

Game 1 is surprisingly close, as Bombardment plus Souls slows him down but he gets there with Ichorid and Narcomeba beats. Game 2 I Therapy him, naming LED, which misses, but I see that his hand depends on dredging his grave troll to get started. He plays a Putrid Imp and passes. I pass with two mana open. When he discards the Troll to the Putrid Imp, I Coffin Purge it, with another mana open for the flashback. He scoops 'em shortly thereafter. Game 3 my hand is all reaction, 2 Surgicals, 2 StP, Faithless Looting, land, which, despite the lack of a threat is great. He goes turn zero Leyline of the Void, LED, LED, Faithless Looting. I had wanted to Surgical his Ichorids and take care of the Bridges with my own sac outlets, but I realized that I'd have to Surgical the Bridges now in order to have a chance. I use my first Surgical on his Cabal Therapy before his main phase, since I have a Swords to take care of Ichorids in case he mills over a bunch of Bridges but I can't get priority if he sacs the Ichorid if he had already hit a Therapy at that point. Turn two, I land a Bombardment, and take some damage from his Ichorid and two Narcomeba's. He dredges hard, and finds some Bridges and Ichorid's two and three. I Surgical his Bridges before he gets any tokens and my life ticks down. I cast the front half of a Lingering Souls, which buys me several turns by blocking Ichorids and sacing to kill Narcomebas. He continues to Dredge as he's eating up black creatures fast, but realizes his library is low. I Faithless Looting, hitting a Supplier and a Gravecrawler, which buys me another turn, followed by the second Lingering Souls which secures enough time to mill him out for the win with me at 3 life.

For the weekend:
    16 matches, 11-4-1
    Match win percentage: 68.75%
    Game win percentage: 62.5%

Thumbs up to:

Cabal Therapy, Entomb-for-value, Goblin Bombardment itself, Lingering Souls. Also Chains, which really did make a difference vs the Griselbrand decks.

Finally—the top of my deck, for delivering Bombardment at a key juncture, as well as those two Bloodghasts after my mull to five, and Souls against Dredge.

Thumbs down to:

The top of my deck, for failing to give me any land after 9 draws and for giving me 5 lands in a row the previous game.

The second copy of Bridge from Below—without the Carrion Feeders in the deck, I rarely went to it via Entomb and I kept wishing it was a third copy of Lingering Souls. That said, I’m keeping one copy of Bridge, as it does (and did at times) make for a much-needed clock.

Thanks to everyone here in the forum here for all the information sharing and advice. I had a total blast all weekend with this deck.
    Last edited by shonenkakumei; 06-08-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Great report shonen! The list is the most fun i have played so far. Yesterday I went 3-1 on the weekly, losing only to reanimator.

Game 1 vs BUG midrange, won 2-0
    The match felt like I was playing vs grixis control, he didn't had much chance.

Game 2 vs sneak n show, won 2-1
    We played a lot before the tournament for fun and he won most of it, but on the tournament I got the win! Highlight to cratermaker killing emrakul

Game 3 vs reanimator, lost 0-2
    This match is our worst, G1 is pratically impossible.... G2 I started with a seize, taking a reanimator out, his hand was entomb,reanimate,animate dead, 2 petals and a looting... he topdecked a 3rd petal and comboed I had an entomb to coffin purge on turn 2...

Game 4 vs Goblins, won 2-0
    Scourge took G1. G2 my board was flooded with scourge/souls, ghatst, gurmag and zombies from bridge, and I drew a Bombardment on the turn I finished him... If we control Lackey, match feels pretty easy.

I think I will also change the 2nd bridge for the 3rd lingering souls, souls is an amazing card, everytime I play it I like it even more... I changed the ensnaring bridge on the SB for a 2nd explosives, but I'm still not sure also.

@shonen the BG Depth matches were weird, lots of discard going on and I took all of his crop rotations out. He never made a Marit Lage, so it was just beating with ghasts/crawlers/gurmags for the win. G2 I remember he dropped a needle t1 for bombardment, but I sided them out I also remember he using hymn to tourach and putting 2 bridges from below on the grave (value ).

Jan 2014
    Baltimore, MD

So apparently we fall into the “Mardu aristocrats” archetype despite no blood artists or humans. Lol!
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1458359#online

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Cheers guys!

I've been busy lately and didn't get to play much. I did have 2 medium-poor runs with my stock list (2Abrade/2Explosives). I decided to give our new goblin friend a couple tries and he overperformed. I went 3-1 at a local weekly testing 2 Goblins over 2 Abrades and 4-0 today with a 4 Goblins list over Abrade and EE.

2-1 Enchantress (EE and 2 Lily -6 nails it)
    2-1 Stoneblade (tight g3, exactsies on last turn, cratermaker crushes)
    2-1 Miracle (same as above)
    1-2 Grixis Control (I got impatient and lost to quad surgical)

2-0 Sneak n Show (favorable variance)
    2-0 Goblins (tight games, scourge wins, cratermakers hold the fort)
    2-0 Enchantress (discard onslaught)
    2-1 Pox (90-10 matchup)

Rocking the following straightforward and simple list:

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth

4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Goblin Bombardment

4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    //SB
    1 Coffin Purge
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Wear // Tear
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Engineered Explosives

Lots of good things to be said about Cratermaker. The versatility is huge compared to cheaper reactive answers.
    Last edited by Qweerios; 11-22-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Nice going @qweerios!

I went 2-1-1 last tournament with your same list, lost to stoneblade, drew with miracles (I would have won past the 5 turns...), and won vs dnt and grixis delver pyromancer.

4 Goblins are amazing, but I also find a turn 2 Gurmag pretty strong, and maindeck EE is also a star of the deck. I thought about cutting 1 entomb and 1 seize in order to fit 2 EE on the maindeck, along with the 4 Goblins... still thinking about Gurmag.

On the SB, im still in doubt about plowshares vs edict, I maybe want room for pithing needle (almost always eldrazi gets back to the game with eye of ugin) and ensnaring bridge (good vs a plethora of decks) aswell... By playing 4 goblins maindeck, I think we can cut a wear//tear for some of it.
    Also moving the EE to the maindeck makes room for some more stuff on the SB.

The "Mardu Aristocrats" list sounds like good as well, maybe changing the gurmags for 2 goblins (gets even better with bridge from below), and making slight changes on the sb! Im not sure if I want to play with carrion feeder/bridge from below, but maybe thats a good idea aswell.

The Legacy Nationals are tomorrow and I'm still not set on my list, need help!

Site Contributor

May 2018

Hi all,

I too tried out the Cratermakers, and I loved having the extra threats. When I keep a hand mostly on the basis of discard, having a higher threat density (as opposed to Abrade) has felt good.

I played at a local (well, out of town local) event on Tuesday and went 3-1.

1-2 vs Storm (Close games 1 and 3 racing, but a turn short. Game two he had to take Chains with his discard and I was able to land a value Surgical.) 2-1 vs S&S (in general I’ve found this match up pretty reasonable, unless they play Leyline of Sanctity.) 2-0 mirror, 2-1 vs Grixis Delver.

Gurmags almost always feel great—I won’t leave home without a least one, and two feels right to me. The two Cratermakers I played did their work.

I also play tested against Burn and the Cratermakers were good again, as additional clock instead of just removal. Went 3-2.

Little report for the Brazillian Legacy Nationals! I went 5-3-1, I will make a short report and will talk the details on it later.

G1 vs UW RiP/Energy Field/Helm - Draw
    This match is really really bad, I ended up winning g1, got locked (counterbalance saved him, countering my explosives)on g2 and g3 we unfortunately we didnt have enough time to finish. This draw was actually good because i fell almost like a bye vs this deck.

G2 vs UW Stoneblade - won 2-0
    G1 i landed bombardment on t2, nothing he could do to stop that. G2 my initial hand was 2 gravecrawlers, 2 cabal therapys and 3 lands... discard frenzy, nothing he could do...

G3 vs Grixis Control - won 2-0
    This matchup is as good as it gets, nothing different then the usual.

G4 vs Miracles - won 2-1
    Those were some awesome games... on G1 i got him down to 1 life and he came back... on g2 i landed bombardment and it was too much for him to handle recurring ghasts and souls, even with terminus... g3 needle for jace got me the game

G5 vs Grixis Control - 1-2 lost
    This was a different game and surprising game, he used TNN instead of gurmag, and sided up blood moon, which for me felt weird... then i noticed i couldnt fetch to get my ghasts back... Tnn got him g2 and g3, and I never saw my explosives to deal with them.

G6 vs Elves - 0-2 lost
    I think I kept slow hands and wasnt able to do anything.... he comboed sometime around turn 3 and 4 on both games, felt bad

G7 vs Death n Taxes 2-0 win
    4 goblins breaks death and taxes, this match was the easiest so far....

G8 vs Lands 0-2 lost
    I never played against lands with this deck, g1 looks hard and he comboed pretty fast.. on g2 i surgical his loam on t2, but never saw my second land =( shit happens

G9 vs Weird Loam Thingy 2-1 won
    This was weird... on g1 he looked like lands, and on g2 it looked like some kind of grixis control, with liliana last hope, leyline of the void an strix... it was weird, but lingering souls got me both games. g2 he dropped a chalice for 1 but it didnt stop souls and cratermakers.

Today we have another big tourney, i think i will try adding a bridge from below (is probably great with 4 cratermakers maindeck) instead of a seize and maybe shove in some carrion feeders, still not sure about them.

Anyway, it was a great event, I really enjoyed it especially being my first big tournament =)

I added 3 gravecrawlers and a bridge from below maindeck, and moved the EEs to the sideboard... also changed the 3 plowshares to 2 edicts and 1 urborg's justice on the sideboard... lets see how this build goes today

Ended up o the top 8 today, 69 players tournament, i was the 4th on the swiss.

I played with 4 cratermakers, 2 carrion feeders and 1 bridge from below maindeck.

G1 - High Tide, 2-1 won
    1st time playing against High Tide, discard all the way got me the games...

G2 - Slivers, 2-1 won
    Got g1 with bombardment pretty easy... g2 and g3 he started with leyline, but on g3 explosives took care of some stuff for the win.. cratermakers were great!

G3 - Lands, lost 0-2
    G1 i got murdered by the big dude, couldnt keep up with punishing fires killing my spirits... g2 i surgical his loam, but he cycles a land and it lost the target.. couldnt come back after that

G4 - Reanimator, won 2-1
    G1 he comboed turn 2... g2 and g3 coffin purge was stellar, amazing tech especially with entomb

G5 - Infect, won 201
    I had no answers to his threats on g1, bombardment got countered... dont really recall the rest of the game, but a topdecked therapy got me a game where i took all his creature buffs when he was tapped out... g3 i won on the 4th turn after the time was over

G6 - Miracles, won 2-0
    G1 discard, g2 liliana... 10 minutes game....

G7 - ID

Top 8 - lost 1-2 food chain
    G1 He comboed out of nowhere, nothing i could do... i got g2 with a thoughtseize topdeck, discard is strong on this matchup... i was in doubt if i should side up the surgicals to take care of food chain and ballista for good, but opted not to... g3 i got mana screwed, only seeing 2 lands (swamp and scrubland) the whole game, with lingering souls, looting, bombardment and liliana of the veil stuck on hand.

It was a great event, great experience for me, as a returning player after many many years! I got into competitive magic on the last 6 months and I'm having a blast! Looking forward for the next year nationals!

What do you guys think of having careful study in the deck? I tried running careful study instead of entomb.
    I'm thinking there might be some blue cards I can add to the sideboard and maybe also replace Abrade.
    Obviously the mana pool becomes weak to wasteland but I rarely cast white from hand anyway so I thought adding blue might be fine.. I've been trying this out:
    Also trying out contamination in the sideboard which can single-handedly shut down some matches.

//Lands
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

//Spells
    2 Abrade
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Careful Study
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    4 Lingering Souls
    4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Gravecrawler
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    4 Stitcher's Supplier

//Sideboard
    3 Contamination
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Perish
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Wear // Tear

Display deck statistics

Ended up o the top 8 today, 69 players tournament, i was the 4th on the swiss.

I played with 4 cratermakers, 2 carrion feeders and 1 bridge from below maindeck.

G1 - High Tide, 2-1 won
    1st time playing against High Tide, discard all the way got me the games...

G2 - Slivers, 2-1 won
    Got g1 with bombardment pretty easy... g2 and g3 he started with leyline, but on g3 explosives took care of some stuff for the win.. cratermakers were great!

G3 - Lands, lost 0-2
    G1 i got murdered by the big dude, couldnt keep up with punishing fires killing my spirits... g2 i surgical his loam, but he cycles a land and it lost the target.. couldnt come back after that

G4 - Reanimator, won 2-1
    G1 he comboed turn 2... g2 and g3 coffin purge was stellar, amazing tech especially with entomb

G5 - Infect, won 201
    I had no answers to his threats on g1, bombardment got countered... dont really recall the rest of the game, but a topdecked therapy got me a game where i took all his creature buffs when he was tapped out... g3 i won on the 4th turn after the time was over

G6 - Miracles, won 2-0
    G1 discard, g2 liliana... 10 minutes game....

G7 - ID

Top 8 - lost 1-2 food chain
    G1 He comboed out of nowhere, nothing i could do... i got g2 with a thoughtseize topdeck, discard is strong on this matchup... i was in doubt if i should side up the surgicals to take care of food chain and ballista for good, but opted not to... g3 i got mana screwed, only seeing 2 lands (swamp and scrubland) the whole game, with lingering souls, looting, bombardment and liliana of the veil stuck on hand.

It was a great event, great experience for me, as a returning player after many many years! I got into competitive magic on the last 6 months and I'm having a blast! Looking forward for the next year nationals!

Can you post your list? Would love to see it.

Of course man!

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Goblin Cratermaker
    2 Carrion Feeder
    1 Scouge of Nel Toth

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Cabal THerapy
    3 Entomb
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Ligering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment
    1 Bridge from Below

3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Marsh Flash
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain

Sideboard

2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Urborg's Justice
    2 Liliana of the veil
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Coffin Purge
    2 Wear // Tear
    3 Surgical Extraction

@magp3

Adding another color splash might add some inconsistencies, maybe we can shave white altogether and try to work with blue cards, maybe that works. Contamination is an insane card, but im not sure if bombardment is the right shell for it, still worth testing though!

Of course man!

4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Goblin Cratermaker
    2 Carrion Feeder
    1 Scouge of Nel Toth

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Cabal THerapy
    3 Entomb
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Ligering Souls

3 Goblin Bombardment
    1 Bridge from Below

3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Marsh Flash
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain

Sideboard

2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Urborg's Justice
    2 Liliana of the veil
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Coffin Purge
    2 Wear // Tear
    3 Surgical Extraction

@magp3

Adding another color splash might add some inconsistencies, maybe we can shave white altogether and try to work with blue cards, maybe that works. Contamination is an insane card, but im not sure if bombardment is the right shell for it, still worth testing though!

Thanks for posting! I've been trying to make zombardment work for so long, but good old drs always stopped me from playing it. There are so many choices that can be used in this shell, and contamination was one I was always looking at. The main one I have been trying to get to work though, is using phyrexian altar. I like the idea of having a bridge in the graveyard, bombardment on the battlefield, and just do an endless sac loop with gravecrawler, using the zombie tokens to do lethal damage, over and over.

My list came out on MTGtop8, its actually 3 lilianas and 1 needle, instead of the 2/2 split I posted above!

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20652&f=LE

Site Contributor

May 2018

I love hearing everyone's stories--this deck makes for memorable gameplay. Congrats on the nice finishes johncarvalho!

I Top 8'd a 40-person tournament today and played against some challenging and interesting match-ups.

2-1 vs LED Dredge (on the draw): Run over by turn 2 in game 1. Game 2 I land a Bombardment and Surgical his Ichorids. Game 3 he leads on Silent Gravestone, and early on I'm forced to pitch my whole hand to Bombat Courier (new one-of in the list for the day, replacing the 21st land) to exile his Bridge from Below. I repeat this process of sacing a creature to take down only-one-Bridge several times, but eventually I land a Bombardment and an EE to finish off his Zombies for the win.

2-1 vs Jeskai Stoneblade (on the play), this fellow, I believe: Game 1 I have a fast-value start with Supplier milling over 2 Ghasts into Bombardment. He eventually lands that singleton maindeck EE for 2, but by the time he cracks it, I can respond by cracking 2 fetches and shooting him down. Game 2 he has disenchant for Chains and after I continue to shred his hand, Jace gets him back for the win. Game 3 I Wear//Tear a Batterskull while he is tapped out and Cratermaker a Jitte and then Lili of the Veil closes things out.

2-0 vs Mono-Blue Painter (draw): Game 1 he goes basic Island pass, I Thoughtseize and see a sol land (City) plus Sai, Master Thopterist and Trinket Mage. I reluctantly take the Trinket Mage, since I suspect it can find something nasty (Chalice or graveyard hate or Painter?). This proves to the right call, since it turns out he is on Painter (not Chalice) and also runs main-deck Tormod's Crypt. Game 2 I lean on discard and keep him off of a turn 3 kill. He is subsequently short on cards, but has Sai and several tokens. The game goes incredibly long and we finish with me at 2 life from Thopters. Aether Spellbomb is a real grindy card.

2-1 vs Elves (draw): Game 1 I win on the back of blind-naming Natural Order turn 3 (he loses two). Game 2 he gets revenge, playing about 7 elves on turn 2 and Cradle into Zenith for 8 on turn 3. Game 3 I lead on Looting (turn 1) into discard (Thoughseize, Therapy, flashback Therapy with Bloodghast) into Chains on turn 3 to lock him out. Zombies beat down.

ID for rounds 5 and 6.

Top 8

Rematch with Mono-blue painter (play) 1-2: Game 1 I keep a solid 1-land hand with Looting, but never see another land. Game 2 is the reverse, and I win with my opponent on two land. Game 3 he leads on Tomb into Grindstone plus Tormod's Crypt. I Thoughtseize and take a Karn (which he could cast the next turn). He goes for a Sai, then Trinket mage into Mox Opal and cantrips a bit, getting in with Thopters. I eventually draw a Wear//Tear but little else to close the game, so I go for the Tormod's Crypt in the hopes of my graveyard-value eventually getting me back in. This mostly works, even through Surgical x3 (Faithless Looting, two of my Gravecrawlers, and Bloodghasts). I finally clean up his board with my Bombardment and recurring my only Gravecrawler (me at 4 life) when he draws a Painter to mill me out.

Thoughts at the end of the day--Courier seemed ok. I want to try it out. I like having a lot of land, but post-board if Bloodghasts aren't an option (surgical or Leyline etc) then drawing all that feels bad. I think Courier, as a 1-mana way of refilling a hand might be an ok substitution. More testing required. In terms of sideboarding, I might want to find room for a Needle effect--mainly because there plenty of Dark-depths running around, and obviously it would've been nice against Painter too.
    Last edited by shonenkakumei; 12-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shonenkakumei View Post
    I love hearing everyone's stories--this deck makes for memorable gameplay. Congrats on the nice finishes johncarvalho!

I Top 8'd a 40-person tournament today and played against some challenging and interesting match-ups.

2-1 vs LED Dredge (on the draw): Run over by turn 2 in game 1. Game 2 I land a Bombardment and Surgical his Ichorids. Game 3 he leads on Silent Gravestone, and early on I'm forced to pitch my whole hand to Bombat Courier (new one-of in the list for the day, replacing the 21st land) to exile his Bridge from Below. I repeat this process of sacing a creature to take down only-one-Bridge several times, but eventually I land a Bombardment and an EE to finish off his Zombies for the win.

2-1 vs Jeskai Stoneblade (on the play), this fellow, I believe: Game 1 I have a fast-value start with Supplier milling over 2 Ghasts into Bombardment. He eventually lands that singleton maindeck EE for 2, but by the time he cracks it, I can respond by cracking 2 fetches and shooting him down. Game 2 he has disenchant for Chains and after I continue to shred his hand, Jace gets him back for the win. Game 3 I Wear//Tear a Batterskull while he is tapped out and Cratermaker a Jitte and then Lili of the Veil closes things out.

2-0 vs Mono-Blue Painter (draw): Game 1 he goes basic Island pass, I Thoughtseize and see a sol land (City) plus Sai, Master Thopterist and Trinket Mage. I reluctantly take the Trinket Mage, since I suspect it can find something nasty (Chalice or graveyard hate or Painter?). This proves to the right call, since it turns out he is on Painter (not Chalice) and also runs main-deck Tormod's Crypt. Game 2 I lean on discard and keep him off of a turn 3 kill. He is subsequently short on cards, but has Sai and several tokens. The game goes incredibly long and we finish with me at 2 life from Thopters. Aether Spellbomb is a real grindy card.

2-1 vs Elves (draw): Game 1 I win on the back of blind-naming Natural Order turn 3 (he loses two). Game 2 he gets revenge, playing about 7 elves on turn 2 and Cradle into Zenith for 8 on turn 3. Game 3 I lead on Looting (turn 1) into discard (Thoughseize, Therapy, flashback Therapy with Bloodghast) into Chains on turn 3 to lock him out. Zombies beat down.

ID for rounds 5 and 6.

Top 8

Rematch with Mono-blue painter (play) 1-2: Game 1 I keep a solid 1-land hand with Looting, but never see another land. Game 2 is the reverse, and I win with my opponent on two land. Game 3 he leads on Tomb into Grindstone plus Tormod's Crypt. I Thoughtseize and take a Karn (which he could cast the next turn). He goes for a Sai, then Trinket mage into Mox Opal and cantrips a bit, getting in with Thopters. I eventually draw a Wear//Tear but little else to close to game, so I go for the Tormod's Crypt in the hopes of my graveyard-value eventually getting me back in. This mostly works, even through Surgical x3 (Faithless Looting, two of my Gravecrawlers, and Bloodghast). I finally clean up his board with my Bombardment and recurring my only Gravecrawler (me at 4 life) when he draws a Painter to mill me out.

Thoughts at the end of the day--Courier seemed ok. I want to try it out. I like having a lot of land, but post-board if Bloodghasts aren't an option (surgical or Leyline etc) then drawing all that feels bad. I think Courier, as a 1-mana way of refilling a hand might be an ok substitution. More testing required. In terms of sideboarding, I might want to find room for a Needle effect--mainly because there plenty of Dark-depths running around, and obviously it would've been nice against Painter too.
    Nice man, grats on the top 8!
    Share your updated list with us please! Bomat Courier sounds like a fun card.
    Needle is a great all-around answer to a plethora of stuff, its definitely worth a slot in the Sideboard.

Dec 2010
    Prague

Is there any general consesus on Contamination? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
    Hi all,

I'm Makoto Nagakita, living in Japan, and known as tamiful at online, and some of you might know me by Maldu Stockpile.

I have been using Zombardment for around 6-7 years.
    I've been free riding on this thread for a while, and finally found a bit time to share you the knowledge in myself.

My recent result with this deck is 7-1-1+won a game at SE on Japan Legacy Championship held this September(did split the prize with champ).
    Also just done 11-4 on GP Shizuoka(67th place with no prize ).

There shall be much to talk, but let me share you both of those list.

#List on tourney on 9 Sep, 2018#

4 Bloodghast
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Bomat Courier
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    3 Greater Gargadon
    3 Bridge from below
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Entomb
    2 Scourge of Nel Toth
    1 Phyrexian Alter

9 Fetchlands
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrublands
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Wastelands

Side
    2 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Thoughtseize
    4 Wear/Tear
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Silent Gravestone
    2 Pyroblast

OK, I know this is WTF WHAT YOU THINKING list, but I planned to use this list to do some testing preparing to coming GP(and won 1000+USD,, oh well).

#List used at GP Shizuoka#

4 Bloodghast
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Bridge from below
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    3 Phyrexian Alter
    3 Entomb
    2 Cryptbreaker
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    1 Lingering Souls
    1 Engineered Explosive
    1 Greater Gargadon

10 Fetchlands
    3 Swamp
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Phyrexian Tower

Side
    4 Wear/Tear
    3 Silent Gravestone
    3 Karakas
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Duress
    1 Engineered Explosive
    1 Volcanic Spray

Deck Tech had taken, written only in Japanese but if you have interest..
    https://mtg-jp.com/coverage/gpshz18l...ticle/0031474/

#Matchup History#

1) With 9 Sep List
    Sorry that if some record is wrong because I could not find my note..

R1 Grixis Control WW
    R2 Miracles WW
    R3 SnT LWW
    R4 DnT WW
    R5 SnT WLW
    R6 Grixis Delver WW
    R7 Lands LWW
    R8 Miracles LL (Super Mana Crashed)
    R9 ID

SE1 Miracles WW(Revenged)
    SE2 Death Shadow WLL (Split with him and tossed game because BR reanimate won the other side.. lol) (no, I missplayed last turn actually)

2) With GP Shizuoka List

R1 Jund WW (Peace of cake)
    R2 Grixis Control W- (same, never lost this match from 300+ match record, btw he played a bit too slow)
    R3 Steal Stompy LL (not great matchup,chalice, balista, raveger, all of those are nightmare for this deck. I also did three mulls in those two games)
    R4 SnT WW (Called SnT after his 1st turn Ponder, there's a bit of technique you can see opponents not playing Delvers Karakas finished him off G2)
    R5 Esper Stoneblade WW (I have nearly never lost against Miracles and Grixis Controls, this match could be easier)
    R6 Eldrasi Stompy LL (T1 Chalice, Thought-Knot, Smasher, GG, G2 was even worser he had Leylines too)
    R7 Grixis Control WW (Thanks)
    R8 Painter WLW (Painters don't win other combos)

To the day 2

R9 Ant LL (good morning, die roll, I'm dead before setting a land)
    R10 El-Tron LWW (Chaliced at G1, but destroyed those and opponent at G2 and 3)
    R11 Grixis Control WW (Thanks)
    R12 SnT LL (thoughtseized SnT at 1st turn, he draw SnT right after, died game 2 because he put Omni at T1 regardless I have discarded Snt T1, was not a great day for me..)
    R13 Chezh Pile WW (same thing to Grixis Control, I do not need bombardment anymore to finish him off, means Leo doesn't do much)
    R14 Grixis Delver WLW (was very close match, he did play great and I have lost if he did draw a card at last turn)
    R15 Spirits WLW (Wait, what?? Luckely he did not draw much graveyard hates at G3)

I need to go for today and get back in nighttime on JP, please follow @tami_ful if you look for Zombardment friend!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Koplinchen View Post
    Is there any general consesus on Contamination? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hello,

Contamination is great card and works very well on Zombardment if your gimmicks start working, and hits hard to Mirackes, Grixis Control, Eldrazi, and Delvers(UR, especially) but I'd say it's unnecessary in the deck.
    1) You are already 90-80% win ratio against Grixis Control and Miracles, the match Contamination works most, with Zombardment.
    2) For Eldrazi, you need to solve their threat like reality smashed which basically is on the play before contamination works.
    3) For Delvers, if you could solve the card costs 3+ against them and still have enough life, you already won the game, and SB cards for them should be the card to make us live longer until our gimmick works.
    4) For other deck like SnT, AnT, DnT, Steel Stompy, it does not do much as you already know..Might be a good against Mono-red Stompy if they only have Leyline as a SB and after you could solve it.

Hope it helps,

Thread Information