Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Avacyn Restored Card Discussion [SIMMERING POT OF FECAL MATTER]

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Re: Avacyn Restored Card Discussion

I'll give Avacyn one thing: after almost ten years, it gives Worldslayer a purpose.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Ultimately not that big a deal in Legacy. There's way more betterer things to Reanimate; any format which skirts destroy effects in favor of exile effects will just laff.

EDH is another story, it'll be just silly to poop this thing out with Kaalia and then blow up the planet. House rules aside, there's nothing implicit about "no LD", there's plenty of EDH decks that genuinely go broken in the first few turns, and honestly in my experience Kaalia.dec could use a hand when it comes to the resilience factor. There's a handful of big dumb Angels that already give target permanent indestructible, so for there to be one big blanket indestructible effect will add another layer of protection to that frail little 2/2 Kaalia, which I can dig.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Lets hope that the big bad demon in this set has protection from white, which might actually make it playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    Lets hope that the big bad demon in this set has protection from white, which might actually make it playable.
    It will probably be a generic demon with some shitty drawback.

Crimson King

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    It will probably be a generic demon with some shitty drawback.
    Expect something bigger with an even shittier drawback.

I really hate the design of Avacyn. In EDH its an extremely boring card, not really good but annyoing as fuck. Thus anyone playing it will be hated out and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjoness' View Post
    Expect something bigger with an even shittier drawback.
    Generic Demon # 23
    7BBBBBBB
    Creature - Demon

Flying

During your Upkeep, burn your hand and throw your cards into the trash. Otherwise, * kicks you in the balls.

6/6

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Generic Demon # 23
    7BBBBBBB
    Creature - Demon

Flying

During your Upkeep, burn your hand and throw your cards into the trash. Otherwise, * kicks you in the balls.

6/6
    Sad, but true.

I wish there were more cheap, playable demons or at least some with a more manageable alternative costs like Tombstalker.

I'm also kinda puzzled that we haven't seen a single Demon Knight yet, which has so much potential to be awesome. Instead, we got several zombie knights.

Crimson King

Jan 2008

Generic Demon # 23
    7BBBBBBB
    Creature - Demon

Flying

6/6
    Nah, it needs to be big. Like 13/13 or something. Impressive. Don't forget some impressively shitty ability. Like "whenever a player rants about how ridiculously bad ~'s design is put a creature token onto the battlefield that's a copy of ~. Slap that player in the face. Twice.

On a more serious note: I hope we get some cool cards in this set, that are not fatties.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I'm also kinda puzzled that we haven't seen a single Demon Knight yet, which has so much potential to be awesome. Instead, we got several zombie knights.
    Demon Knights would make some of the kids go crazy over the "awesomeness" factor. A knight that is a demon. And is emo. And sparkles. And likes high school girls. And is part vampire.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Blah art. Looks like Taylor Momsen.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Demon Knights would make some of the kids go crazy over the "awesomeness" factor. A knight that is a demon. And is emo. And sparkles. And likes high school girls. And is part vampire.
    Sounds like the entire band KISS.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Blah art. Looks like Taylor Momsen.
    The art is about as bland and uninspiring as you can get.

Oh look... another angel...

May 2011
    Croatia

I'm still hoping for Scavenging Ooze in this set.

Jun 2010
    Central NY

ROFLMFAO

REAL vampires don't F'n sparkle.

On that note, I would love to see a Demon Knight. Naturally.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

What an insane amount of hating, flaming and whining in this thread over nothing really. I think it is a pretty cool card.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

I am pretty glad that Avacyn is monowhite pure holy angelic protector of innocent small people. It feels like returning home after a long trip filled with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Chancellor of the Annex, Iona, Shield of Emeria and other not-so-white monstrosities. And Wizards could've spoil it all with emo goth angel-demon shit, but they didn't.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Guess they couldnt make the angel be a zealotry fascist extemist like Elesh Norn is. Thought I wonder if avacyn will persecute the vampires, werewolves and zombies now that she is free from the helvault.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

You know how Maro sometimes mentions that not every card is designed for every player? We're Legacy players. We're looking for cheap, powerful effects (Brainstorm, Mongoose, etc.) and game-changers (Emrakul, Ad Nauseam, etc.). Obviously Avacyn is neither of these. She's intended to excited kitchen table players, and she's doing a good job of that. Let's just wait patiently for some cards that *are* for us. And remember that each set can only support a few Eternal-viable cards without upsetting Wizards' more popular and lucrative formats.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Quote Originally Posted by eq.firemind View Post
    I am pretty glad that Avacyn is monowhite pure holy angelic protector of innocent small people. It feels like returning home after a long trip filled with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Chancellor of the Annex, Iona, Shield of Emeria and other not-so-white monstrosities. And Wizards could've spoil it all with emo goth angel-demon shit, but they didn't.
    Yeah, my thoughts too. I think she got great flavor and brilliant artwork. Ironically enough she'll probably only see play in decks (even in casual) that can cheat her out, which would mean black aka the color she was made by Sorin to defend humanity against. :-S

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by eq.firemind View Post
    Aside from Elesh Norn's -2/-2 being somewhat questionable (though fitting of the block it was printed in), I'm not sure what's 'not-so-white' about those dudes. If anything most white creatures get the short end of the stick by trying to just be combat-relevant; the ever-present 2/2 for WW with some ability are by and large just shitty copies of each other than are marginally useful as metagame cards at best. If anything there should be MORE dudes like Iona or Chancellor, just on a smaller scale. Like, you know, Thalia :/

At any rate, I like Avacyn in EDH as a Kaalia toy, but I don't see much else coming of it. +1 for Tao for correctly pointing out a disproportionate amount of nerd-rage for one spoiled card; looks like the set's ruined guys!

Thread Information