Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Avacyn Restored Card Discussion [SIMMERING POT OF FECAL MATTER]

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Re: Avacyn Restored Card Discussion

Elesh Norn is however a very white card, she is a spiritual leader, however she is kinda of a extemist as well fascist / rasist against fleshlings. Wanting to turn everything into phyrexians. She isnt the first white colored badguy in the game so far. Dont know if its a she thought :P

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    Elesh Norn is however a very white card, she is a spiritual leader, however she is kinda of a extemist as well fascist / rasist against fleshlings. Wanting to turn everything into phyrexians. She isnt the first white colored badguy in the game so far. Dont know if its a she thought :P
    Of course Lady Gaga is a she.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Or is she!? :P

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

New cards:

Dumb Demon 2BB

Flying, Undying
    As this enter into play, sac another creature or Exile it.
    5/4

Silverblade Paladin - 1WW
    2/2, Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired as long as you control both of them). As long as Silverblade Paladin is paired with another creature, both creatures have double strike.

Restoration Angel - 3W,
    Flash, Flying, 3/4, When Restoration Angel enters the battlefield, you may exile target non-angel creature you control then return that creature to the battlefield under your control.

(a new tool for D&T? Too expensive probably. Still, 3/4 Flying and flash for 3W is nice already).

EDIT:

Thunderous Wrath - 4RR, Instant, Thunderous Wrath deals 5 damage to target creature or player. Miracle R (You may cast this card for its Miracle cost when you draw it if it's the first card you drew this turn)

Lol wtf is this mechanic so retarded. Make library manipulation even stronger? ZZZz

And SIX mana cost? This card is unplayable outside of the topdeck mode. What a shitty design dear god.

Missed this:

Sigarda, Host of Herons - 2GWW - Flying, Hexproof, 5/5, spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause you to sacrifice permanents

This is actually decent. Hexproof and Flying are basically the best abilities in legacy right now.

EDIT2: it seems that the Demon doesn't have the "sacrifice another creature" text but the "sacrifice a creature" . If this is confirmed, card is basically a 6/5 flier for 2BB.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Miracle cards with top is kinda crazy. Seting them up with brainstorm and Jace.

It'll be a real miracle if that mechanic doesn't crank out some insanely broken interactions.

Also I hate that hexproof is being pushed more. What a terrible, un-interactive ability. And a 3/4 Flying, Flash angel with a good ability? Power creep much?

On the good side...Banding in a new form....AUGHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    EDIT2: it seems that the Demon doesn't have the "sacrifice another creature" text but the "sacrifice a creature" . If this is confirmed, card is basically a 6/5 flier for 2BB.
    That's pretty broken (in non-Eternal formats).

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    That's pretty broken (in non-Eternal formats).
    No, it's a 6/5 flier that requires you to sacrifice a creature for 2BB. It re-enters the battlefield when it undies, causing it to trigger again.

Card is worse than Tombstalker in every format where both are legal.

EDIT: Also, ugh @ that legendary angel. Seriously? So the only ways to get rid of it are sweepers and -1/-1 counters? What's with Wizards printing all of these non-interactive cards lately?

EDIT 2: Miracle seems very cheat-friendly. I'm surprised it's not worded like this:

Miracle [cost] (If you would draw this card, and it's the first card you've drawn this turn, instead reveal it and cast it for its Miracle cost).

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    No, it's a 6/5 flier that requires you to sacrifice a creature for 2BB. It re-enters the battlefield when it undies, causing it to trigger again.

Card is worse than Tombstalker in every format where both are legal.

EDIT: Also, ugh @ that legendary angel. Seriously? So the only ways to get rid of it are sweepers and -1/-1 counters? What's with Wizards printing all of these non-interactive cards lately?
    Uuh missed that. Card just sucks. Seems that's a typo, else it wouldn't have the "exile it" clause.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh man, I hope there aren't any Legacy-playable Miracle cards.

Imagine:

It's your turn. You pass and your opponent casts EoT Brainstorm. Unbeknownst to you, he draws card, Miracle card, card. He puts them into his hand, shuffles his hand a couple of times, then puts two cards back. He now has priority to cast his Miracle card, which was not the first card he drew this turn, but how do you know? Nice cost-reducing mechanic.

In order to combat that, every Brainstorm (or other instant-speed card draw effect) that would draw your opponent his first card of the turn would need to be played out as follows to prevent cheating:

Draw a card, but place it face-down on the table in front of you.
    Draw the rest of the cards. Do whatever with them.
    Finish resolving your card drawing spell.
    Only the face-down card can be cast for its Miracle cost.

What a pain in the ass.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Ew, UB Delver Sligh is probably ridiculous with that card. Talk more shit about Magma Jet now. :/ While MJ alone will not make this card any good for monored Burn/Sligh strategies - since having it in your opening 7 is fucking stupid - anything that can stack its deck in a meaningful way will have a gay ol' time with the topdeckingest mechanic ever. Also be ready for the onslaught of ICP jokes re: miracles, how do they work, etc :/

Soulbond is cool but is probably worse than just playing a Lord, unless the pairings result in completely bonkers men. The example provided probably isn't that big a deal, even though doublestrike + equips is the goodest shit evar.

Demon of Assmouth seems like some good with all those retarded Black creatures that won't stay dead.

That angel will piss people right off in limited. Unbelievable, a 3/4 with flying and flash for 4, and a 'may' ability that can save guys from removal? I'm gonna call it borderline Constructed worthy; 4/4s for 4 with an ability are worth a look (Chameleon Colossus, Thrun) and one that trades +1 power for instant speed and flying, and can counter target removal spell? Definitely worth watching to see if it matters a damn.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    And SIX mana cost? This card is unplayable outside of the topdeck mode. What a shitty design dear god.
    UR Delver and Brainstorm say hello. ;)

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Oh man, I hope there aren't any Legacy-playable Miracle cards.

Imagine:

It's your turn. You pass and your opponent casts EoT Brainstorm. Unbeknownst to you, he draws card, Miracle card, card. He puts them into his hand, shuffles his hand a couple of times, then puts two cards back. He now has priority to cast his Miracle card, which was not the first card he drew this turn, but how do you know? Nice cost-reducing mechanic.

In order to combat that, every Brainstorm (or other instant-speed card draw effect) that would draw your opponent his first card of the turn would need to be played out as follows to prevent cheating:

What a pain in the ass.
    Off turn card-drawing spells need you to play in a way that reveal to your opponent that you're playing miracle cards in your decks and you can't bluff drawing 3 altogether because it would make you unable to cast the miracle.

What a shitty mechanic design. There were 1 billions better way to make this with the same flavor, like Hellbent or Fateful Hour mana cost reductions.
    Or even more simply: as you draw this, you may reveal it. If you do, you mast cast it for X less.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    UR Delver and Brainstorm say hello. ;)
    With "topdeck mode" i meant the Miracle cost. I know the card is good with manipulation spells. What i meant is that the difference between the two cost make the card unplayable outside of the alternate cost. Force at 5 see scarce play with the main mana cost, and that's an hard counter that see play in control decks that strive to live until later. This is a burn spell that should be played in decks that will never ever hit 6 lands, and have to be played in a blue shell. A way more fair spell would this have been at 4 damage and a 1RR main cost or something.

Imagine the implications a really good miracle card would have on the format. I will lol if they print a U miracle ancestral with no main mana cost (sorta like ancestral vision).

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

What a pain in the ass.
    No, I'm betting that you only need to play it this way if the first card you see is a Miracle card. You will still be able to play Brainstorm 'normal' style, but by doing so you forfeit the ability to play any Miracle cards drawn.

So, if you have Miracle cards in your deck Brainstorm becomes:

- Look at the top card of your library. Is it a miracle card?
    - No, or Yes but I don't want to play it right now -> Brainstorm as usual;
    - Yes and I want to play it -> slam it on the table, proceed to draw two and put back two, bin the Brainstorm and play the Miracle spell.

If you don't have Miracle spells in the deck, nothing changes. Even if you want to bluff having them, all you need to do is to put a half-second delay between seeing the first card of your Brainstorm and putting it in your hand.

My first reaction upon seeing this mechanic was "there's no way this won't cause a complete mess with the rules and with tournament play", but the more I think about it the more it seems to me that it ought to work just fine.

I do agree though that a single too-powerful Miracle spell might end up being the straw that moves Top from "man, remember the days when we thought it needed to be banned?" to "OH GOD BAN THIS FUCKER NOW"
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Definitely feel like this new "miracle" mechanic will push brainstorm over the top.
    Getting in 5 damage for R, even if its during your draw step, seems way too good.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

The Mirage era tutors + Noxious Revival would be additional ways to abuse Miracle cards. We obviously don't know yet if any of these will be truly worthwhile, but it's a mechanic thats pretty easy to break in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by randomly.anonymous View Post
    Definitely feel like this new "miracle" mechanic will push brainstorm over the top.
    Getting in 5 damage for R, even if its during your draw step, seems way too good.
    The problem is when you don't Brainstorm this into 5 damage for R. Then it's 5 damage for 4RR, which is terrible.

Even when you use Brainstorm to make it good, you still need another card to enable your miracle card. Generally, cards that are only playable - never mind actually good - if they have an enabler have not been good enough for Legacy. Because of this, I think any playable Miracle cards are going to need to have both the Miracle and non-Miracle sides be castable in Legacy.

However, then you run into a different problem. If the card is relatively cheap to cast already, the miracle cost becomes less attractive because you're not saving that much. Imagine a 1/1 for 1 with affinity for artifacts: yes, you can cast it for free, but it's not that interesting to most players because the difference between 1 and 0 is not that great. That's not to say that Wizards won't push a card like this for constructed (where top players tend to care more about incremental advantages, even when those are small), but there probably won't be that many of those cards.

The problem is when you don't Brainstorm this into 5 damage for R. Then it's 5 damage for 4RR, which is terrible.

Even when you use Brainstorm to make it good, you still need another card to enable your miracle card. Generally, cards that are only playable - never mind actually good - if they have an enabler have not been good enough for Legacy. Because of this, I think any playable Miracle cards are going to need to have both the Miracle and non-Miracle sides be castable in Legacy.
    By no means is it a 4-of. It feels like cards like this increase the value of brainstorm even more.
    Also, what do you mean "you need another card to enable [it]"?
    I thought you could (for example), brainstorm EOT, put the miracle card just sitting uselessly in your hand back on top of your library along with another card beneath it. During your own draw phase, you draw it, and cast it for its miracle card, since its the first card you drew that turn.

EDIT:
    Phyrexian Dreadought requires an enabler. Granted, dealing 5 damage isn't comparable to dropping a 12/12 trample. But at the same time, those 5 damages isn't going to be as "all-in" as the dreadought plan. You still get to brainstorm more or less normally (probably won't be able to shuffle), and you lose no card advantage.
    Last edited by randomly.anonymous; 04-07-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added some details

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Im torn between screaming YES and hoping this isnt what finally gets brainstorm banned.

Thread Information