Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

  1. #1
    Member
    godofallu's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2012
    Location

    WI
    Posts

    73

    Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    First of all: Hi everyone! First time posting, first time attempting to play legacy.

    Ok so I recently discovered that the place I am moving to has a MTG shop, and that shop actually has a legacy day. In preparation for this I dug up my actual physical cards and attempted to create a deck from the pile. Here is the results.

    4 gorilla shaman
    4 myr landscaper
    2 vithian renegades
    4 bloodbraid elf
    4 acidic slime
    2 steel hellkite

    4 ancient stirrings
    4 liquimetal coating
    4 ancient grudge
    4 splinter

    4 raging ravine
    10 forest
    10 mountain

    So the basic gameplan is to use coating or landscaper to paint lands. Then use shaman or grudge to blow them up en mass. Finish with ravine or elf or charger.

    Splinter against a deck with basic lands is basically an instant win.

    Anyways I would love some feedback or advice on what to do to improve the deck without spending more than like 20 bucks. I have played this 4 games online, and I actually went 4-0 which surprised me.

  2. #2
    Site Contributor
    Freggle's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2011
    Location

    Orlando, FL
    Posts

    702

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    Welcome to The Source

    I have added card tags to your list below.

    This list looks like fun.

    Have you considered the following cards:

    Blood Moon
    Magus of the Moon
    Root Maze

    This can provide further disruption while you work on / set-up your destruction plan.

    Also, Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning are good at keeping the board clean and speeding up wins. ...if you find yourself needing that type of support.

  3. #3
    Member
    berksowl's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    First Hill
    Posts

    84

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    Welcome to The Source

    I have added card tags to your list below.



    This list looks like fun.

    Have you considered the following cards:

    Blood Moon
    Magus of the Moon
    Root Maze

    This can provide further disruption while you work on / set-up your destruction plan.

    Also, Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning are good at keeping the board clean and speeding up wins. ...if you find yourself needing that type of support.
    I've been playing a variation of this deck, with Root Maze (as suggested).


    4 Acidic Slime
    4 Bloodbraid Elf
    4 Gorilla Shaman
    4 Myr Landshaper
    2 Steel Hellkite
    2 Vithian Renegades
    Creatures [20]

    4 Ancient Grudge
    4 Ancient Stirrings
    4 Liquimetal Coating
    2 Root Maze
    2 Splinter
    Spells [16]

    10 Forest
    10 Mountain
    4 Raging Ravine
    Lands [24]


    Root Maze works pretty well against multi-color decks: I blow up their off-color land or their non-basic, and then one a new one comes into play tapped it gives me a chance to blow that up too before they can use it. To make room for 2x Root Maze I went down to 2 Splinter, which can devastate certain decks but is expensive to play.

    But I wish this deck could get a Steel Hellkite on the board faster. One of those attacking can lock up a game. So that's my goal in tinkering with this deck: Get the 6cc artifact creature out faster.

    A pretty fun deck for casual games. Maybe it has potential to be more than that.

  4. #4
    Member
    berksowl's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    First Hill
    Posts

    84

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)


  5. #5
    Epic Library
    Brushwagg's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2004
    Location

    Syracuse New York
    Posts

    2,376

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    Needs more Voltaic Key. That could really make this deck fun.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

    The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

  6. #6
    Member
    godofallu's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2012
    Location

    WI
    Posts

    73

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    I don't like the root maze tech TBH.

    In my testing I have found hellkite to be pretty slow for a finisher, and the ravine is finishing the majority of my games allready.

    I also think running less than 4 ancient stirrings is crazy. It finds lands when you need them, or the artifacts the deck relies upon to win. It is like a super preordain; tutoring for what you need and providing the deck with consistency.

  7. #7
    Member
    berksowl's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    First Hill
    Posts

    84

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    I think Aladdin is just too slow to get moving in this deck. But Metallic Mastery is fun! And with it, I think Shrapnel Blast is a four-of in the mainboard since the sacrificed creature will often be theirs, which you'd have to give back to them at the end of turn.

    I've also gone -1 Forest, -1 Mountain, +2 Buried Ruin.

    I've thought of running Exploration, or something else for mana acceleration, since otherwise against a good deck this LiquiCoat deck might take too long to come on-line. But then maybe this isn't a budget deck anymore. :)
    Pox
    Stax
    Deadguy Ale
    Death and Taxes

  8. #8
    Member
    godofallu's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2012
    Location

    WI
    Posts

    73

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    Root maze is just not good. It hurts you so much more than them, plus is negative card advantage.

    Splinter is an instant win again monocolored decks + a removal spell.

    I can see the acidic slimes being cut for a different creature + land destruction card. But for metallic mastery? How is a situational threaten good enough? At least with the Aladdin (which wasn't good enough IMO) you got to keep the artifact.

  9. #9
    Member
    berksowl's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    First Hill
    Posts

    84

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    Quote Originally Posted by godofallu View Post
    Root maze is just not good. It hurts you so much more than them, plus is negative card advantage.

    Splinter is an instant win again monocolored decks + a removal spell.

    I can see the acidic slimes being cut for a different creature + land destruction card. But for metallic mastery? How is a situational threaten good enough? At least with the Aladdin (which wasn't good enough IMO) you got to keep the artifact.
    Against a creatureless deck, one might sideboard out the Metallic Mastery. But otherwise, its one of the few means of dealing damage that this deck has. With only four cards in this deck that make some non-artifact an artifact -- and given that the control aspect of this deck hinges on that ability -- I think some combination of creature threats (including the useful Ravines) and burn is what's needed.

    This is a control deck, that hopes to be able to sit back for a number of turns, blowing up the opponents' permanents, while relying heavily on four Raging Ravines to dole out damage. That's pretty mana-intensive (4cmc to activate the Elemental creature).

    Having played this deck with Metallic Mastery, I really like the tempo advantage gained when they finally do get a creature that isn't Grudged out, only to have it borrowed for a turn to be let loose on them, and have it sacrificed to a Shrapnel Blast.

    I agree that Splinter is great, and a potential game-winner. The reason I'd want to start with it in the sideboard is its casting cost, and that its a sorcery that won't ever be able to remove a sorcery or instant from the stack and exile it. It does only permanents. While I understand this removes them from the game, removal of permanents is already a big strength of this deck. So I'd rather use that space to ensure we can deal damage, or accelerate our land situation, or gain card or tempo advantage.

    Have you been playing this deck much? I'm curious to hear what people find is working well and what is not.
    Pox
    Stax
    Deadguy Ale
    Death and Taxes

  10. #10

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    This ain't nowhere near perfect but I have been testing it just to see what sort of draws I get and I have to say that (A) its obviously not really budget anymore, but if you substitute the lands with city of brass or the 1 damage lands for R/G you should be okay and (B) out of like 10 games I had to mulligan 4 times but turn 1 trinisphere or turn 1 liquimental coating, turn 2 Shaman is really powerful. Anyways, here is the list;


    Land (21)

    2x Forest
    2x Mountain
    4x Wooded Foothills
    2x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Wasteland
    3x Taiga

    Creature (18)

    3x Magus of the Moon
    3x Myr Landshaper
    2x Viashino Heretic
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Gorilla Shaman
    2x Acidic Slime

    Sorcery (3)

    3x Splinter

    Artifact (12)

    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x Trinisphere
    2x Sculpting Steel
    4x Liquimetal Coating

    Instant (6)

    3x Ancient Grudge
    3x Dismember


    As far as sideboard goes, as always it depends on your meta. Do you have a lot of creature decks, put in some lighting bots, a lot of combo, chalice of the void, dredge graveyard hate, control, red elemental blast/pyroblast, etc.

  11. #11
    Member
    godofallu's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2012
    Location

    WI
    Posts

    73

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    Random thoughts-

    Ancient tomb could be good here. Speeds up the "lock" by a turn making the LD possible by turn 2. T1 shaman T2 Liquimetal + LD. Splinter would be a turn 3 play.

    Splinter is great in my underpowered meta where basics are very common, and Magus would be garbage here since there are few nonbasics. I realize this is probably the opposite of a developed/serious meta that you guys are playing in. You guys might not want this card.

    Metallic mastery I haven't tried but I really don't want to and here is my reasoning. 1 If you don't have the engine in place it is useless. 2 It doesn't actually destroy/stop the threats even if you have the engine. 3 What are you stealing that is going to be good? A land for a turn? A weenie creature since they won't have anything more than 2cc? 4 It doesn't help create the LD lock that is required to win games.

    In a win condition for this deck the card has to: A Help achieve the lock, B finish the opponent once the lock is in place. Ravine does this, Bloodbraid does this, Vithian/Acidic does this.

    Metallic mastery and Shrapnel blast both fail these rules. Unless you had 4 shrapnel blasts, then it would probably pass B.

  12. #12
    Member
    berksowl's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    First Hill
    Posts

    84

    Re: Liquimetal Coating LD (Budget Legacy)

    Quote Originally Posted by godofallu View Post
    Random thoughts-

    Ancient tomb could be good here. Speeds up the "lock" by a turn making the LD possible by turn 2. T1 shaman T2 Liquimetal + LD. Splinter would be a turn 3 play.

    Splinter is great in my underpowered meta where basics are very common, and Magus would be garbage here since there are few nonbasics. I realize this is probably the opposite of a developed/serious meta that you guys are playing in. You guys might not want this card.

    Metallic mastery I haven't tried but I really don't want to and here is my reasoning. 1 If you don't have the engine in place it is useless. 2 It doesn't actually destroy/stop the threats even if you have the engine. 3 What are you stealing that is going to be good? A land for a turn? A weenie creature since they won't have anything more than 2cc? 4 It doesn't help create the LD lock that is required to win games.

    In a win condition for this deck the card has to: A Help achieve the lock, B finish the opponent once the lock is in place. Ravine does this, Bloodbraid does this, Vithian/Acidic does this.

    Metallic mastery and Shrapnel blast both fail these rules. Unless you had 4 shrapnel blasts, then it would probably pass B.
    To be clear, you're talking about playing a Splinter on a basic land-turned-artifact. That's a best-case scenario, and I'd hope you'd have a back-up plan. Metallic Mastery was one thought, but you're right it is just for a turn. If it's not going well, that could represent a significant swing in the game though, especially if you sac the creature to a Shrapnel Blast at the turn's end.

    I agree that since this deck will be slow to get started, Ancient Tomb or the like could help.
    Pox
    Stax
    Deadguy Ale
    Death and Taxes

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)