Thread: [Semi-Competitive] GOATS

[Semi-Competitive] GOATS

I'm looking to make a deck out of my favorite card and I'm looking to the source for help!

The Engine(11):
    4x Springjack Shepherd: Nuff said...
    4x Flickerwisp: Bounce the Shepherd to get more goats
    3x Restoration Angel: Same as above with a bigger body and flash but can only bounce creatures you control.

The Pump(11):
    4x Honor of the Pure: Make everything bigger!
    3x Mirror Entity: He can win games by himself
    2x Angel of Jubilation: Pumps the goats, 3/3 with flying, can shut down force and fetchlands
    2x Humility: Actually makes the goats bigger!

The Stall(14):
    4x Ghostly Prison: Slows down any aggressive start till we can get a hoard of goats to block
    3x Oblivion Ring: Can take care of whatever you need it to
    4x Swords to Plowshares: Yup
    3x Martyr of Sands: Can get you lots of life early which can really help against some combo decks, kinda dead late and is a horrible topdeck

Lands(21):
    3x Springjack Pasture: MOAR GOATS!
    14x Plains
    4x Fetches

I know this is not 60 cards but I'm not sure what to use to finish off the deck out of these cards.

Other Options:
    Glimmerpoint Stag: Another blinker with a body, don't think I need that many blink effects and it doesn't have any evasion like the other ones
    Mikaeus, the Lunarch: Can pump the goats but takes a lot of effort
    Wall of Omens: Cantrips and stalls, plus you can blink it to get another card
    Mentor of the Meek: Possible source of card advantage, lot of mana investment, useless if I have more than one Honor of the Pure in play
    Cathars' Crusade: Not sure if serious, def a win more card, but can be really fun

The sideboard is standard stuff like Ethersworn Canonist, Leyline of Sanctity, Pithing Needle, Tormod's Crypt

Thank you every one for your input!

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: [Semi-Competitive] GOATS

Just so you are aware, you might want to make as many goats as you can before you get Humility going since Springjack's chroma ability will disappear while Humility is on the field.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Just so you are aware, you might want to make as many goats as you can before you get Humility going since Springjack's chroma ability will disappear while Humility is on the field.
    Oh yea I know, that's what its only x2. It's just so much better than Godhead of Awe.

Apr 2012
    WI

I like the concept but IMO you need to curve out better.

Martyr of sands is bad, since it only gains you life and when it dies you get less goats. Why not mother of runes? She negates removal or makes things unblockable. Plus she doesn't kill herself.

For 2 drop knight of meadowgrain or Kazandru blademaster. If you go blademaster run Hada for 1 drop.

I dislike ghostly prison and restoration angel.

Love the Flickerwisp and Angel of Jubilation.

Would consider adding beast-master's ascension or the last mirror entity.

Quote Originally Posted by godofallu View Post
    I like the concept but IMO you need to curve out better.

Martyr of sands is bad, since it only gains you life and when it dies you get less goats. Why not mother of runes? She negates removal or makes things unblockable. Plus she doesn't kill herself.

For 2 drop knight of meadowgrain or Kazandru blademaster. If you go blademaster run Hada for 1 drop.

I dislike ghostly prison and restoration angel.

Love the Flickerwisp and Angel of Jubilation.

Would consider adding beast-master's ascension or the last mirror entity.
    Ah, yes, Mother of Runes would be much better that Marytr.

I agree with the need to curve out better, thats why I was thinking the wall, it can stall opponents and can dig to get the business cards. At first I wasn't sure about Knight of Meadowgrain or Kazandu Blademaster because a 2/2 body doesn't really do much in this format, but then I remembered I have pump spells! I think I like the Knight better.

Ghostly Prison has saved me more times than I can count. With only one or two down the opponent can only play spells or attack, not do both. PLus its not that bad of a top deck because some of the mana light decks don't ever get past 6 mana.

What don't you like about Restoration Angel? It's bigger than most of the flyers in the format (non-reanimator division), is a pseudo-counter against some removal, and is a pretty decent clock itself.

I really wanted to keep this mono-white so Beastmaster Ascension is a no go. If I wanted to splash green I would want to win with Epic Struggle

Quote Originally Posted by jlagrav View Post
    What don't you like about Restoration Angel? It's bigger than most of the flyers in the format (non-reanimator division), is a pseudo-counter against some removal, and is a pretty decent clock itself.
    Im totally with godofallu - restoration angel is just a bad card for Legacy.
    Restoration Angel is a 4 drop; apart from Jace, the mind sculptor (who is one of the best cards ever printed), can you name a single 4 converted mana-cost card that is used in competitive legacy decks that ISN'T cheated into plan (reanimate, S&T etc.).

I mean, wrath of god is considered too slow for Legacy, and it's mentally powerful!

I like the idea, even though it's awfully fragile; if you're going to use Springjack (again... 4cc) then the rest of the deck should be a streamlined, well-oiled, machine!

I'd be tempted with some equipment; one of the swords (preferably fire and ice) so the goats become scary, quickly.

Slap in a few 2 drops, as previously discuss.

Perhaps a few aether vials to smooth it out, and leave mana open for the oblivion rings etc.

Just my thoughts.

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Quote Originally Posted by optml View Post
    Im totally with godofallu - restoration angel is just a bad card for Legacy.
    Restoration Angel is a 4 drop; apart from Jace, the mind sculptor (who is one of the best cards ever printed), can you name a single 4 converted mana-cost card that is used in competitive legacy decks that ISN'T cheated into plan (reanimate, S&T etc.).

I mean, wrath of god is considered too slow for Legacy, and it's mentally powerful!
    Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    Sneak Attack
    Moat
    Natural Order
    Thrun, The Last Troll

To name a few. This obviously isn't a tier 1 deck, and I like Restoration Angel in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    This obviously isn't a tier 1 deck
    Yup. I'm not looking to win SCGs or anything, just want to have some fun and maybe win a game or two in the process. A lot of the cards I'm using are bad for legacy lol. Maybe I should tune this for modern...

I like the idea of equipment, I only have one though(fire and ice) would that be enough? Would it be better to just put in the forth mirror enitity instead?

I don't know if this deck could really take advantage of aether vial enough, its not very aggressive and ticking vial up to 4 takes a while.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Maybe looking into Crusade, Jihad, and Glorious Anthem to make the goats even bigger might be an option. I really like the idea of the deck, so keep working at it!

Thread Information