Thread: [SCD]Open the Vaults

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

[SCD]Open the Vaults

Open the Vaults seems like a card that can be built around that can be devastating. Back when it was Standard legal, it was rogue archetype that caught the format with its pants down. Unfortunately it was short lived as it was only viable for a couple of months because of the format's rotation.

It seems that I can be brought back to life but one of the main pieces for the deck got banned (Sword of the Meek).

While the same card is banned Modern, people seem to forget another clause of Open the Vaults: it can replay Enchantments.

I got the idea when bruizar posted Leviat/Enter the Dragon list on the B/R discussion back in Legacy.

Is it possible to build around Open the Vaults that involves the enchantments from Ideal.dec?

Using cards such as Forbidden Alchemy, Gifts Ungiven and Faithless Looting, you can dump enchantments to the graveyard while keeping board control/permission oriented hands that clear the path for a successful Open the Vaults.

Discuss
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Перетягивание
    Feb 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    Last edited by ween; 08-25-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: [SCD]Open the Vaults

It costs 6 and uses the graveyard. Costing 6 means you lose to basically every deck before you can cast it, and many decks play Remand or Mana Leak or Spell Pierce. If you want to try to win playing expensive cards you need to use mana acceleration. That's all fine and good for storm decks that can use mana accel as fuel for their win, but for a deck that first has to put stuff in its graveyard and then cast some ungodly expensive card, it just isn't going to work.

You'd be better off with Enduring Ideal, and even that strategy is mediocre.

It's just a really bad card.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: [SCD]Open the Vaults

Yes I understand that the crucial turn in Modern is turn 4. It's fairly a fast format but in order to support Vaults, why not run permission as a means to slow/control the game?

Keep the relevant cards that you filter and discard all the expensive enchantments/artifacts for Vaults. Once you have your key pieces in proper places, cast a late game Vaults with permission protection and win from there?

The thing about acceleration is that you open yourself to hate. While using the graveyard is already susceptible to hate, you can fight it using permission.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information