Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Griselbrand

[SCD] Griselbrand

Hi everyone, besides the new Timewalk this new expansion brings to us another old-fashonated engine-card:

Griselbrand 4BBB

Legendary Creature - Demon
    Flying, lifelink
    Pay 7 life: Draw seven cards.

i really like this card 'cose it could be an excellent replacement to Jin for reanimator or (better imho) a strange draw-engine for a storm deck.

What's your opinion about it?

i wrote down a list for the storm combo "on the fly" when i see it:
    -Engine
    2 GriselBrand
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    2 Goryo's Vengeance
    -Cantrips
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Preordain
    -Protection
    4 Duress
    4 Force of Will
    -Closer
    2 Tendrills of Agony
    -Mana
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Chrome Mox
    +16 lands

very stright: Swamp>Ritual[1]>Entomb[2]>ShallowGrave(or Goryo's)[3]> -Reanimate Hasty GriselBrand- > -Swing for 7- > -Draw 21- > FINISH HIM

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: [SCD] Griselbrand

If you're going to win right away and don't care about life, it can also be paired with Necrotic Ooze.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Does it really make sense to try to storm out with him? Once he hits the table, you get a grip of cards that you can use protect him with and go off again. You could play something like:

4 Griselbrand

4 Jin-Gitaxias
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Goryo's Vengeance

4 Careful Study
    4 Entomb

4 Duress
    4 Force of Will

4 Brainstorm
    4 Preordain

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

For chuckles, you can reanimated Jin on the opponent's EOT.
    Last edited by rufus; 04-10-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

At worst, this thing makes an awesome EDH general, or just engine in B/x EDH combo.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    At worst, this thing makes an awesome EDH general, or just engine in B/x EDH combo.
    Yes, at the least I'll shove him into most black EDH decks i have. I like the art too.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Does it really make sense to try to storm out with him? Once he hits the table, you get a grip of cards that you can use protect him with and go off again.
    I agree with this. Ad Nauseam is basically Griselly except with fewer vulnerabilities and the potential to draw more cards for the same amount of life.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I was thinking that you could possibly use Soul Spike to chain multiple draws.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Griselbrand is also Stifle-able. This may end up being relevant once in a while, as double-drawing 7 can be a liability against some Stifle-Lightning Bolt seen lately (obviously, if the player is that bad to do it twice immediately or is forced to do so.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Griselbrand is not strictly better than Jin-Gitaxias, as he does not make your opponent discard. It also costs 15 life as opposed to 10 life to draw seven cards if you use Reanimate to get him out. That said, there are certainly situations where he's better than Jin-Gitaxias. I'd probably cut one Jin-Gitaxias for him in Reanimator. Griselbrand is worth it as an Entomb option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I agree with this. Ad Nauseam is basically Griselly except with fewer vulnerabilities and the potential to draw more cards for the same amount of life.
    OTOH: Grizzly Adams is easier to cheat into play, and is better with high cc cards.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    OTOH: Grizzly Adams is easier to cheat into play, and is better with high cc cards.
    If I'm a storm deck, I don't want my draw engine to counterable via Stifle and StP.

I'm not sure what you mean about cheating him into play. Once you get him into play, subsequent Grisellies and reanimation cards become dead draws. If you cast him, it's infinitely more difficult to ramp to him than to 3BB.

I think it's Dredge, Reanimator, or bust for this guy.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

I think I'm going to try him in a list that plays Culling the Weak and some Tallmen like Shield Sphere and Phyrexian Walker to stall Goblin Guides and the like. Then you have access to Cabal Therapy for protection and Diabolinc Intent for a set up piece. Belcher as an alternative kill.

Also, another pseudo Culling the Weak is Burnt Offering when playing in conjunction with Skyshroud Cutter. With 8 rituals that add BBBB, you can be sure that you'll be ramping to something dirty by turn 2 pretty consistently with the additional explosiveness of turn 1 kills from the sheer amount of acceleration.

But I'll be testing it as a casual, for fun deck. A serious application of Griselbrand probably involves Show and Tell and/or Sneak Attack.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

I'm not sure what you mean about cheating him into play.
    I think it's Dredge, Reanimator, or bust for this guy.
    'Cheating' him into play - as in not paying the casting cost - so that stuff plus Sneak Attack, [card]Show and Tell[/cards], Dream Halls and maybe Kaalia of the Vast.

Hmm... come to think of it he could work pretty well with Food Chain too, though there may be better options.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

He seems best in Dredge. Dread Return him to play and proceed to win.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Yeah but you need to run FKZ to win that turn.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Yeah but you need to run FKZ to win that turn.
    If you mill out your entire deck, it's pretty easy to Dread Return an FKZ. You will probably have at least one Narcomoeba, which you use to Therapy someone, and then you feed the resulting Zombies (or some of the zombies and any non-Zombie, non-Griselly guys you have left) into the second D Return. Et voila, giant army.

Either FKZ or lab maniac work in dredge for this guy to instantly win. The only advantage of maniac over FKZ is that he doesn't use the attack step, however he's vulnerable to removal, which is pretty bad while FKZ usually just face stomps the opponent.

In storm combo, I'd rather be running ad nauseam. The only thing going for this guy is the show and tell into play, but even that seems weak as drawing only 14 cards isn't a guaranteed kill and ad nauseam can draw more cards assuming you don't flip other high CMC cards.

I do like this guy in sneak and show though, this idea has potential in legacy I think. I'd love to sneak attack this guy in, swing, gain 7, then proceed to draw 7 or 14 cards.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    Either FKZ or lab maniac work in dredge for this guy to instantly win. The only advantage of maniac over FKZ is that he doesn't use the attack step, however he's vulnerable to removal, which is pretty bad while FKZ usually just face stomps the opponent.

In storm combo, I'd rather be running ad nauseam. The only thing going for this guy is the show and tell into play, but even that seems weak as drawing only 14 cards isn't a guaranteed kill and ad nauseam can draw more cards assuming you don't flip other high CMC cards.

I do like this guy in sneak and show though, this idea has potential in legacy I think. I'd love to sneak attack this guy in, swing, gain 7, then proceed to draw 7 or 14 cards.
    He's still your worst Sneak Attack guy, though. Emrakul basically wins when you attack, and while Progenitus doesn't, he's also immune to removal. Griselly does none of these things, although I guess you can pay seven in response to an StP in hopes of finding a counter.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

He's still your worst Sneak Attack guy, though. Emrakul basically wins when you attack, and while Progenitus doesn't, he's also immune to removal. Griselly does none of these things, although I guess you can pay seven in response to an StP in hopes of finding a counter.
    Actually that depends. If you've dropped Sneak Attack the turn before you go off then when you drop Griselband for R and draw 14, you can then drop Emrakul anyway and swing with both for GG. And if not, you get to draw 7 more cards with Griselband due to life link or just draw 7 to play around Fireblast or some shit and then draw 7 more after the life link. I'd say he's actually the preferable drop because he pretty much ensures that you draw Emrakul anyway as well as protection spells for whatever the opponent might try to pull out of their ass.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I think the more serious question is: Do we call him Grizzly Adams or Russel Brand?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Thread Information