Thread: Storming to 11th: Star City Games - Des Moines

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Storming to 11th: Star City Games - Des Moines

The road to Honey Creek, Iowa, is pretty straight forward.

It was a rainy morning taking the straight away north on I-29.

Thirty minutes into my trip, I stopped in Loveland, Iowa, which is a small town along the way comprised of a gas station and a precisely three stop signs.

I wasn’t sure whether the gas station was open, but went for it anyway. Now in Iowa, it’s pretty much a sin to wear Nebraska Corn Huskers apparel – I was wearing my girlfriend’s red hoody.

The gas station owner saw the Husker logo on my chest and gave me a dirty look. Apparently he was a family friend of Tim Wilson (HoneyT). Go figure, right?

Anyway, 10 minutes later, and I was at Tim’s house. We threw our bags in his trunk and were on our way.

The trip was easy this time around. A simple two and a half hours. We watched Boondocks and listened to clips of Liam Neeson talking to pass the time. If you were wondering, we watched clips from “Taken” and “Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.” Neeson’s voice is amazing.

We get to the venue at 10:30 a.m. We spot some of the local Des Moines players. It’s still round one of Standard so nothing special happened.

Tim and I hit the dealers to sell some Standard zombies. We pooled out store credit to finish the most of his Death and Taxes deck. Tim was playing his mostly foil Combo Elves deck on Sunday.

We chill for most of the afternoon and playtest with some SCG ringers*, and eventually get lunch at this pizza joint called Sarpino’s.

The sauce was interesting to say the least. It was a peppery sauce. None of the toppings would stay on the pizza. Pretty mediocre really.

It took a while before 6 p.m. and the Legacy Challenge rolled around.

Here’s what I sleeved up:

The E.P.I.C. Storm 4/8/2012

13 Land
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

47 Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    3 Duress
    3 Orim’s Chant
    2 Silence
    2 Ad Nauseam
    1 Tendrils of Agony

15 Sideboard
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Infest
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Round One: High Tide

Game One: I win the die roll and play Duress. I take Force of Will. Next turn, I chant him and cast Ad Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Chrome Mox, -1Ponder, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek

Game Two: He mulls to five and we play draw go for a while. I fire off a couple discard effects. He taps out for Time Spiral with six lands and no mana floating so I chant him. He forces and fizzles. I take two turns because of Meditate and win the following turn.

2-0
    1-0

Round Two: BUG Control

Game One: He wins the die roll and Thoughtseizes my Ad Nauseam. I get wasted out of the game.

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Chrome Mox, -1Ponder, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek

Game Two: Hymn. Hymn. Wasteland. Life from the Loam.

2-2
    1-1

Round Three: Elves

Game One: I win the die roll and Duress a Glimpse of Nature out of his hand. I cast Ad Nauseam on turn two.

Sideboarding:-3 Orim’s Chant, -2 Silence, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek, +2 Echoing Truth

Game Two: He plays a turn one Llanowar Elves. I cast Inquisition of Kozilek and see Summoner’s Pact, Summoner’s Pact and Heritage Druid. I take Heritage Druid and pass the turn. He casts a Summoner’s Pact for Elvish Archdruid and casts it. I draw my card and pass the turn. He draws a card and forgets to pay for Summoner’s Pact.

4-2
    2-1

Round Four: RUG Tempo
    Game One: He won the die roll and played three Wastelands against me.

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Rite of Flame, -1 Ponder, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Lotus Petal, -1 Orim’s Chant, +3 Inquistion of Kozilek, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Wipe Away

Game Two: This is a very grindy game. I end up with five lands in play and Burning Wish three times. The first gets countered. The second grabs Inquisition of Kozilek and nabs a Tarmogoyf. The third grabs a Ponder to dig further. I finally go to chant him and he burns four counters on it. The last card in my hand is an Infernal Tutor. I grab Tendrils of Agony.

Game Three: He plays a fetchland and passes. I cast Duress and see Spell Pierce, Spell Pierce, Counterbalance and a land. He bins the Counterbalance. I chant him two turns in a row. At this point I cast Infernal Tutor for a Dark Ritual. My opponent asks, “Well now you have to grab one just like that – from Mercadian Masques… and foil – this irks me the wrong way and I grab the remaining three foil Dark Rituals in my deck and sternly reply, “You mean like this?” The spell chain ended with Tendrils of Agony.

6-3
    3-1

I’m handed six boosters of Dark Ascension and open garbage. Best card was a foil Thoughtscour. I sell the cards to the SCG dealer for cash, which I later use to buy a hot dog.

Tim and I go out to a place called Granite City in West Des Moines, and I order a Bleu Cheese Burger – cooked rare. Pretty damn good. I downed a tall glass of Sangria mixed with Sierra Mist, and become awkwardly drunk. I tell Tim in drunken fashion on the car ride back to the venue to “stop laying fair decks.” We pick up Travis “Scruffy” Lynch, and crash at his house for the night. Boy was that futon comfy.

We wake up about 7 a.m. and I can’t figure out for the life of me how to use the shower so I sit down in the bathtub and use some metal tin bucket to drench myself with water.

We smash into some biscuits and gravy with a side of eggs and are on our way back to the venue.

Once we arrive there, Tim and I register. We receive deck boxes for being in the level one player’s club. Neat.

To kill time, Tim and I told Justin Uppal (juppal) to play Stifles in his RUG Tempo deck, drop Snapcaster Mage and play 4 Leyline of the Void in his sideboard. Remember this.

There are 147 people for the Legacy tournament on Easter. The pairings go up, and my opponent’s deck box has an Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite on it. I saw him earlier sleeving up a Reanimator deck, which brings us to…

Round One: Nic Zimmerman with Reanimator
    Game One: I win the die roll and lead with Duress. I see Polluted Delta, Marsh Flats, Underground Sea, Exhume, Jin-Gitaxias and Brainstorm. I take Exhume and pass. We go draw go for six turns and he draws more business than I do. I concede with Iona on the board to save time as I stare at a hand filled with Dark Rituals and no way to answer Iona.

Game Two: I lead with Duress and see Misty Rainforest, Polluted Delta, Ponder, Jin-Gitaxias, Force of Will, Reanimate and Animate Dead. I take force. Next turn I chant him and cast Ad Naueam.

Game Three: Our last game was very grindy. I ripped his hand apart, and he still managed to land Iona. I end of turn Echoing Truth. He casts Animate Dead on an Inkwell Leviathan. He was one card in hand at this point (Iona, if you were paying attention). I cast Empty the Warrens for 12 goblins. They get there.

2-1
    1-0

Round Two: Eric Detlefsen with UR Delver
    Game One: He sees my playmat and mentions he hates playing against combo. He wins the die roll and leads with Arid Mesa into Volcanic Island. I had no clue what was going on. Next turn, I chant him and cast Ad Nauseam. I cast Duress before playing Tendrils and find out he’s on UR Delver.

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek

Game Two: He’s able to bring me down fairly low with Delver of Secrets, but I manage to use his spells to bring a lethal storm count to kill him. He used Surgical Extraction on my Brainstorms. When I cast my Infernal Tutor to grab Tendrils, he asks me if he can call a judge about something. He says, “never mind,” and responds with Surgical Extraction on Dark Ritual. I have BBBBB floating. Tendrils. Kill you.

2-0
    2-0

Round Three: Burt Hamernick with Burn
    Game One: Burt’s a friend from home, and it was disheartening to play against him. He even joked before the round that we would end up being paired. I set up an Iggy-loop and safely kill him. He had sorceries in his yard and blanks in hand.

Sideboarding: -3 Orim’s Chant, -2 Silence, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek, +2 Echoing Truth (I knew he had Pyostatic Pillar because he showed me his 75 before the tournament.)

Game Two: I can’t get hellbent, and he casts Pyrostatic Pillar. I die shortly after.

Game Three: I mull two four and he gets down double Pyrostatic Pillar. Burt top eighted and finished 5th.

1-2
    2-1

Round Four: Jeff Rasmussen with RUG Tempo
    Game One: I played against Jeff on Saturday during the Standard Open. He was with Justin Uppal. He was playing Maverick, but after I easily dispatched him, he said he wasn’t going to play the deck. Go figure. I get wasted three times this game.

Sideboarding: -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder, -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Orim’s Chant, -1 Rite of Flame, -1 Lotus Petal, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek, +2 Echoing Truth, +1 Wipe Away

Game Two: I play an Inquisition of Kozilek, which takes his only clock, a Tarmogoyf. I cast Burning Wish three times during this match. The first gets countered. The second gets Inquisition. The third gets Ponder. I spend several turns sculpting my hand and bait him into a lethal Tendrils.

Game Three: I cast Inquisition and take Counterbalance. He’s able to put out a quick clock before I can play through all his soft counters.

1-2
    2-2

Jeff also made top eight. During our match he freaked out a lot by asking me to keep my eyes on him while I shuffled his deck. He was literally freaking out and being rude about it, too. This annoyed me. He also kept on going on about how bad of a matchup it was for him. “kfajal;werjalk;wrjekwa.” Translate that somewhere.

After this round, I heard that Tim got paired against Burt, too, in a feature match. It was Tim’s first loss of the day.

Round Five: Michael Hope with Burn
    Game One: Michael is a nice guy. He said he’s from Iowa City, which is cool. Sitting diagonally from me is the Belcher kid who’s been nearby most of the tournament. He plays mountain and suspends Rift Bolt. I tell the Belcher kid (which accidently tells his BUG opponent what he’s playing) to watch me. I tell him he’ll like it. I cast Empty the Warrens for 12 goblins on my first turn. Michael concedes on turn three. Belcher kid aka Spencer, killed his BUG opponent on turn one. His opponent promptly responded with, “In response, I’m going to drop from this tournament.”

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Ponder, -1 Chrome Mox, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek

Game Two: He plays Mountain and bolts me. I play Inquisition and see a turn two Pyrostatic Pillar, which I take, and see Arid Mesa, Mountain, Mountain and Rift Bolt. Next turn, uptap Ad Nauseam.

2-0
    3-2

Michael later messages me on Facebook with the following:
    Hey Kirby,

My name is Michael Hope and we played in round 4 of the SCG open. I was playing mono red. You emptied your hand on turn 1 game 1 and played Empty The Warrens for 12 goblin tokens. I scooped on turn 3. You won the next game on turn 5 with Tendrils Of Agony. It says on the SCG website that you only ran Empty The Warrens in your sideboard. Is this true? Because if it is that would represent an improper deck list and our game was not fair. I would prefer to talk to you about it before anybody else. Message me ASAP. Thanks.

I respond with:
    Burning Wish for Empty the Warrens.

Seriously, but anyway—

After this match, I rush over to the camera feature match area and see Tim scoop a game two against Caleb Durward (CalebD) after he casts an Umezawa’s Jitte. I watch an agonizing game three, where if Tim draws a Green Sun’s Zenith or Emrakul, he just wins. He doesn’t get there.

Round Six: Alex Olson with 43 Land (cuthbertthecat)
    Game One: I first saw Alex playing against Jason Ford at GP Indy, then again against Collin Chilbert playing for top eight. I spoke with Alex during the early rounds of the tournament so I already knew his sideboard – chalices and the like. I feel really bad because his deck is pimped out just like mine. I sit down and wish him luck. I get wasted once and then cast Ad Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -3 Orim’s Chant, -2 Silence, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek, +2 Echoing Truth

Game Two: Now at this point in the day, I hadn’t eaten since breakfast at 7 a.m. I win this game, too, but not until I punt three times in a row. Alex did a good job of jedi mind tricking me. I play a bunch of mana into an Infernal Tutor. I freeze trying to do the math for an Iggy-loop, which would win on the spot. I don’t see it, and Alex says I couldn’t do it anyway. Then after I go for Ad Nauseam, he actually says I could have or had just chained tutors. I punt again when I whiff hard on Ad Naueam and Brainstorm without putting a Tendrils back on top of my library. I can’t cast the Tendrils in my hand. I throw out some LED’s and go all in on a Ponder. The third card is a Burning Wish.

2-0
    4-2

I see where Tim’s up to again. He’s playing against Mono Black Pox. I see his opponent draw a Perish and walk away. I just couldn’t watch.

Round Seven: Sean McClenathan with 12-Post
    Sean is a friend of mine from Omaha. He concedes to me because his record is 3-1-2. He goes back home for Easter with his family.

2-0
    5-2

After my E.P.I.C. punt against 43land Tim and I finally get lunch/dinner. The only place open downtown in Des Moines was Sarpinos. Ugh. I order a gyro sandwich, which was pretty good. Tim had a personal pizza.

We learn soon that Justin Uppal had been paired against Dredge on camera to make it so he could draw in next round for top eight. Leyline of the Void, remember? Game three is an absolute blowout, and Justin can draw into the top eight.

Round Eight: Gene Richtsmeier with Aggro Loam
    Game One: I play tested with Gene on Saturday, too, and knew he was on four color Aggro Loam. He started off the tournament 5-0, but picked up two losses in a row. He wins the die roll and goes mox, mox, land, Knight. I play land, Chrome Mox, Infernal tutor for LED pass. He swings for 4. I’m at 16. I untap. LED, LED, Infernal Tutor into Ad Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -3 Orim’s Chant, -2 Silence, +3 Inquisition of Kozilek, +2 Echoing Truth

Game Two: He goes land, cycle Tranquil Thicket, go. I draw my card. My hand is now Underground Sea, LED, Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal, Ad Nauseam, Rite of Flame, Brainstorm, Infernal Tutor. I cast Duress before Tendrils and see a Chalice of the Void. Gene thought he had more time. I kill him with Tendrils. Tim is sitting next to me and points out I could have cast Grapeshot instead.

2-0
    6-2

So that’s it folks, my first money finish at a large tournament. I win $100, and am the first TES pilot and second storm pilot to place in a SCG Open this year. Woot. Woot.

Q(-'.'-Q)

Props
    Winning die rolls most of the day.
    Tracie for getting us pizza on Saturday.
    Having to drive only 2.5 hours to this tournament.
    Storm for being the best mechanic ever.
    Travis “Scruffy” Lynch for giving us a free place to stay.
    Tim for using his car.
    Bleu Cheese Burgers.
    Being a Jew on Easter.

Slops
    Losing to Burn.
    Getting paired against friends.
    Standard for sucking.
    Both my RUG opponents being douchebags.
    Sarpino’s Pizza for sucking.
    No other restaurants being open on Sunday.
    Tim going X-3 drop.
    Being a Jew on Easter.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS; 04-11-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

Re: Storming to 11th: Star City Games - Des Moines

Congrats Kirby!

I've been reading TES reports for hours now.

:-)

Im currently checking your MUs and trying to figure it our mysef, how did you guys got through them.

:-)

Congrats again Kirby! Long live TES
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Might want to censor the name of the dumb burn player who didn't remember that Burning Wish was a card in case people harass him or something.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Congrats Kirby! Did anyone think you were Bryant Cook at this tournament?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Congrats on the finish! I swear the pairing system likes making people play against their friends, I had to play against 2 of mine as well at the last SCG I went to.

One thing I noticed is that you boarded in Inquisition for almost every match. How do you feel about putting them mainboard? I ended up switching 3 Duress and 1 Chant from the main in favor of 4 Inquisitions since it hits most of the relevant cards against TES (Doesn't hit Force, but can usually hit the Blue card that would be pitched to it). Also, do you think the 4th Inquisition is needed (since you only boarded in 3)? If not that would free up another SB spot for one of the options discussed in the deck thread.

Bryant Cook

Congrats Kirby! Did anyone think you were Bryant Cook at this tournament?
    They might if he keeps stealing my tag!

If my bologna had a first name it would be spelled O-B-A-M-A
    Mar 2010
    Hobart, Indiana

Congrats and sorry your RUG opponents were jerks. Next time we play, I'll be the super nice RUG player!
    13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV

-Member of Clan Magic Eternal-

-Find me on MTGO (NarrowGate) -

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    Now in Iowa, it’s pretty much a sin to wear Nebraska Corn Huskers apparel – I was wearing my girlfriend’s red hoody.
    Accurate.

Anyway, congrats! Unfortunately, I got crushed by Team America last round and wasn't able to join you in the t16.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

Good Job and Report!
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

@paeng4983: That Kirby image is all over The Source now. Sigh. <^>-'.'-)>

@thefringthing: People won't bug him. It's an honest mistake, really. He hasn't said anything since my response anyway.

@Koby: Justin Uppal (juppal) and I had an awkward converstation on Saturday
    where he thought I was Bryant Cook. We talked about the Mets. I fucking hate baseball.

@Whippoorwill: I wouldn't main deck Inquisition of Kozilek. Although there were times I couldn't nab Force of Will and needed a Duress or Chant to lock up the game, Inquisition is stronger across the decks that can lock you out of the game. You want that post board and not main board because against decks where Inquisition is good, you can still kill them on turn one or two. The fourth Inquisition is needed. You really want to see it against the decks that bring in Chalice, hate bears etc. Everytime I wished for it against blue, it was only to see if the coast was clear. It wasn't so much about taking Force of Will, but to get necessary information.

@Bryant Cook: Yes, I stole the report format from you.

@ImpinAintEasy: Eh, you weren't so happy when I played a turn one FBB Underground Sea. You wasted it. I still love you though <3

@Shawn: So glad I dodged Team America all day. An actual list with 4 Tarmogoyf, 4 Tombstalker and Stifle made top 16.

@Leego: Thanks!
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

Yeah, that was the guy who I lost to r8. G1 I survived 2 Thoughtseize and went off with a hand that beat double hard counter, but lost to 3x Daze, Stifle on my fetch with 5 other lands in play, and FOW. I would have been able to punch a Time Spiral through 4x permission but not 5x, sadly. Game two I mulled to six and he destroyed me.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

If my bologna had a first name it would be spelled O-B-A-M-A
    Mar 2010
    Hobart, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    @paeng4983: That Kirby image is all over The Source now. Sigh. <^>-'.'-)>

@thefringthing: People won't bug him. It's an honest mistake, really. He hasn't said anything since my response anyway.

@Koby: Justin Uppal (juppal) and I had an awkward converstation on Saturday
    where he thought I was Bryant Cook. We talked about the Mets. I fucking hate baseball.

@Whippoorwill: I wouldn't main deck Inquisition of Kozilek. Although there were times I couldn't nab Force of Will and needed a Duress or Chant to lock up the game, Inquisition is stronger across the decks that can lock you out of the game. You want that post board and not main board because against decks where Inquisition is good, you can still kill them on turn one or two. The fourth Inquisition is needed. You really want to see it against the decks that bring in Chalice, hate bears etc. Everytime I wished for it against blue, it was only to see if the coast was clear. It wasn't so much about taking Force of Will, but to get necessary information.

@Bryant Cook: Yes, I stole the report format from you.

@ImpinAintEasy: Eh, you weren't so happy when I played a turn one FBB Underground Sea. You wasted it. I still love you though <3

@Shawn: So glad I dodged Team America all day. An actual list with 4 Tarmogoyf, 4 Tombstalker and Stifle made top 16.

@Leego: Thanks!
    Well if it makes you feel any better I've been working on foiling out my RUG deck. So in the future when I waste your FBB Sea, at least it will be with a foil Wasteland.
    13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV

-Member of Clan Magic Eternal-

-Find me on MTGO (NarrowGate) -

Thread Information