Thread: Is Wizards trying to kill off Legacy? And what does pee taste like?

Hybrid View

Is Wizards trying to kill off Legacy? And what does pee taste like?

This is not supposed to be another conspiracy thread but the new Time Walk really got me wondering if Wizards is trying to rehouse the legacy player base to an other format like modern or standard. This is not necessarily due to the new Time Walk but Wizards seems to print new blue staples in each set now so that you're almost obliged to play blue because other strategies are not viable anymore. Yes, there is Maverick but that deck is basically the only nonblue competitive deck right now while the other DtBs (Delver, Stoneblade etc.) are mainly generic blue decks. One could argue that Delver and Snapcaster (and to an extent Jace) were simply underestimated by their developers but then again, they seem to continue printing overpowered blue cards like the new Time Walk and refuse to learn from their fails. That, and the fact that legacy staples rocketed in regard of prices might be enough to finally prohibit players from playing legacy and could also get them to formats like standard and modern which are more lucrative for Wizards.

Re: Is Wizards trying to kill off Legacy?

You mean after years of complaining that new sets contain nothing good for us, we get cards that are (OMG) actually viable in Legacy? Snap and Delver are not broken. Very strong, yes, but hardly broken. The best deck right now is a non-blue deck and the format is as diverse as it's been in a long time imo. TM hasn't been tested by anyone and it's omgpowerfulbanhammerplx-ness is highly contested if these forums are any measure to go by.

Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    look at this thread! It's a bunch of people complaining about this set because there are TOO MANY PLAYABLE CARDS OH GOD NO NOT THAT!!!!!!!!

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.
    I played standard during the age of Jund. You have no idea.

On topic: I have wondered why R&D just seems incapable of learning the "busted blue cards = messed up eternal formats" lesson ever since they printed Jace.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Cardboard Messiah
    Jan 2006
    East Syracuse, NY

They sky. It is falling.

Wizards already said they were playing it fast and loose when it comes to the eternal formats. If something is format distorting, things will get banned.

Believe it or not, a Legacy deck has access to thousands of different cards. There may be a solution that already exists to problems that haven't even happened yet.
    Sexy

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

I think you're vastly overestimating the number of shits Wizards gives about Legacy players. They don't hate Legacy, they "nothing" Legacy.

Also, the reason Legacy staples cost more than they used to is because of increased demand. If anything, Wizards' attempts to kill Legacy are having the opposite effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

May 2011
    Louisiana

If Wizards really wanted to kill off Legacy they would have just simultaneously unbanned Shahrazad and Land Tax. Laughing as all the games in Legacy ended in draws.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I think you're vastly overestimating the number of shits Wizards gives about Legacy players. They don't hate Legacy, they "nothing" Legacy.

Also, the reason Legacy staples cost more than they used to is because of increased demand. If anything, Wizards' attempts to kill Legacy are having the opposite effect.
    This. If anything, by doing stuff like this they're turning Legacy players into people that actually have to care about Standard. Miracle.dec takes SCG two months in a row? Shit son, better get your wallet out.

Eternal is also in this really weird place right now, where there are 4 Eternal formats "big enough" to warrant a giant Venn diagram of format staples. Vintage, Legacy, EDH and Modern overlap in relevant ways, and even with Standard being the Magic moneymaker, the effect that four formats buying the same staples is palpable, especially if you're trying to play this game on a budget.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    blahblahbla
    Seeing this thread was started by you I was tempted not to join the conversation, as I know you from german forums.

In any way --> No WotC does NOT want to kill Legacy. Stop whining and go check out all the other threads we had about this topic just when the last sets came out. Everytime the same thingie, everytime the same whining, everytime the same SHIT!
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Is Wizards trying to kill off Legacy? And what does pee taste like?

This is not supposed to be another conspiracy thread [...]
    Liar.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

I was three days off and couldn't follow or add something to the discussion but what I've read so far makes me questioning if this forum would be better off if certain people would refrain posting in threads. Seriously, have you never be taught of basic manners for discussions, namely keeping out flames and other insults? Not to speak of the highly arrogating act to add the phrase in the title of the thread. whoever that was, but you sir are definitely overbearing with your 'authority'. Sure it's the internet and I know that you generally have to deal with the scum of humankind and that people tend to neglect the aforementioned 'manners' but this is getting worse and worse and this thread is a great example for this.
    Don't you have to call for a Brainstorm ban somewhere?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

See, Bardo, that's why this thread deserved Mish-Mash. If only the posters had had the good sense to keep talking about the taste of pee.

Erdvermampfa, I believe you when you say you didn't mean this to be a conspiracy thread, and I also believe that you intended for it to produce intelligent, polite discussion. Neither fact changes that your attempt in said directions was a truly astounding failure in every possible meaning of the word. If this thread were a deck, it would be Legacy Trix. If it were a format, it would be Overextended. If it were a card, it would be Karona, False God.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Thread Information