Thread: [Deck] Finally time for RWB aggro?

[Deck] Finally time for RWB aggro?

Looking at some of the stuff in AVR, I wonder if the cards for RWB aggro aren't finally present. Something like:

4x Vexing Devil
    4x Steppe Lynx
    4x Goblin Guide
    4x Grim Lavamancer
    4x Dark Confidant

4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Lightning Helix/Terminate
    4x Proclamation of Rebirth

4x Arid Mesa
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Marsh Flats
    4x Plateau
    3x Badlands
    1x Scrubland
    1x Plains
    1x Swamp
    4x Wasteland

Sideboard
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Perish
    4x Ethersworn Canonist
    3x Silence/Orim's Chant

The approach is a bit heavy on redundancy with 4x Proclamation maindeck, but with all the one-drops, the deck can get some real value out of it.

Probably the best thing about this deck is its potential sideboard, where you can run lots of combo hate along with maverick hate and extra non-basic land hate. Some kind of disenchant effect should probably be present, but this is just a rough draft. Anyway, the idea is quick burn and beats backed up by card drawing from Confidant, with a quick reload finish from Proclamation of rebirth at the top of your curve for 3.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: [Deck] Finally time for RWB aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Looking at some of the stuff in AVR, I wonder if the cards for RWB aggro aren't finally present. Something like:

4x Vexing Devil
    4x Steppe Lynx
    4x Goblin Guide
    4x Grim Lavamancer
    4x Dark Confidant

4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Lightning Helix/Terminate
    4x Proclamation of Rebirth

4x Arid Mesa
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Marsh Flats
    4x Plateau
    3x Badlands
    1x Scrubland
    1x Plains
    1x Swamp
    4x Wasteland

Sideboard
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Perish
    4x Ethersworn Canonist
    3x Silence/Orim's Chant

The approach is a bit heavy on redundancy with 4x Proclamation maindeck, but with all the one-drops, the deck can get some real value out of it.

Probably the best thing about this deck is its potential sideboard, where you can run lots of combo hate along with maverick hate and extra non-basic land hate. Some kind of disenchant effect should probably be present, but this is just a rough draft. Anyway, the idea is quick burn and beats backed up by card drawing from Confidant, with a quick reload finish from Proclamation of rebirth at the top of your curve for 3.
    with black you have such a good counter suit you don't even need the ethersworn cannonsit or chant/silence.

4 proclaimations are just too much. maybe as a 2 of and then you can run 2 discard in place. or 3 discard in place and drop a chain lightning. Hell maybe even play 3 grim and 4 chains.

4 terminates, 4 bolts, 4 grims, and 3 chains is mighty sufficient as removal.

you wont need 4 perishes in side. maybe 2. then pack your board with artifact removal.

and why 24 lands in a deck full of 1 drops?

I know that lightnng helix fits the burn theme of the deck but wouldn't something like swords to plowshares or path to exile be in the 75 somewhere ?
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Lightning Helix is basically just an incinerate in a deck like this. If you get to a point in the game where that 3 life is relevant you have probably already lost. Your clock should always be faster than your opponent's. Bump in the night, flame rift or price of progress would be good replacements. Id probably go with PoP, but there could be better options.

Terminate is alright, but path to exile (NOT StpS) would be a better choice.

Go down to 2-3 proclamations. You dont really want to see multiples in a game. Especially if that means seeing less 1 drops to actually use it on.

I am not sure why your running 24 lands. This deck has a lower curve than burn and you run 18-20 in burn. I would cut the wastelands personally. You dont need them.

You might want sulfuric vortex or disenchant in the side and dont need perish. Mavrick is pretty much a bye for red heavy decks like this.

Something like this would be solid:
    3x Sulfuric Vortex/Disenchant
    4x Surgical Extraction
    4x Pyroblast
    4x Silence/Orim's Chant

Silence/chant+Surgicals+your fast clock should be enough against combo. You dont want to have 12 slots for combo and then be soft to UWx control and dredge/reanimator.

I would drop to 22 or 20 lands given your curve is basically 2.

Grim Lavamancer feels sketchy. Honestly, he's not that great in decks that are aiming to be aggressive early, I wouldn't have him as a 4-of. He's a good red creature, but Goblin Guide and Vexing Devil put on way more pain way faster than he does.

I would build this to be more sligh-ish. More burns.

Lightning Bolt
    Chain Lightning
    Rift Bolt
    Lava Spike
    Bump in the Night

--you can have 20 1 mana 3 damage burn spells in the deck, I'd seriously consider that approach.

too poor to play legacy.
    Mar 2011
    seattle, wa

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    I would build this to be more sligh-ish. More burns.

Lightning Bolt
    Chain Lightning
    Rift Bolt
    Lava Spike
    Bump in the Night

--you can have 20 1 mana 3 damage burn spells in the deck, I'd seriously consider that approach.
    if this is the approach, you need to start asking yourself if black is worth it. bump in the night gives you an extra 3for1 damage spell, and confidant gives you a little more steam, but what else does it give you? at that point, i don't think you'd want discard/disruption because you're looking to win extremely fast. on the same hand though, including confidant means you draw more cards over time, which is best for getting you into the midgame. so...maybe something like

4 goblin guide
    4 vexing devil
    3 grim lavamancer

4 dark confidant

3 inquisition of kozilek
    3 duress/thoughtseize/raven's crime

4 lightning bolt
    4 chain lightning
    4 rift bolt
    4 lava spike
    4 bump in the night

19 lands

OR OMG IS IT TIME TO PLAY BLIGHTNING.
    Last edited by sillyandrew; 04-12-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: OMG BLIGHTNING

I agree that Blightning is viable here! This would be a more discard-heavy build, as opposed the Burn-oriented.

WRB Stoneblade:

4 Mother of Runes
    4 Goblin Guide
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic

1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4Lightning Bolt
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Blightning
    2 Vindicate
    2 Thoughtseize

2 Mountain
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains

4 Arid Mesa
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Badlands
    2 Plateau
    2 Scrubland

Sideboard:
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Manriki-Gusari
    3 Faerie Macabre
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Perish

Plenty of removal and discard. Great defense with Mom plus discard. Steppe Lynx, Chain Lightning, and Terminate are all other possible inclusions. Thoughts? What about the sideboard?

PS: When its legal I think Vexing Devil would be an awesome inclusion for this deck!

Quote Originally Posted by dal9ll View Post
    I agree that Blightning is viable here! This would be a more discard-heavy build, as opposed the Burn-oriented.

WRB Stoneblade:
    list

Plenty of removal and discard. Great defense with Mom plus discard. Steppe Lynx, Chain Lightning, and Terminate are all other possible inclusions. Thoughts? What about the sideboard?

PS: When its legal I think Vexing Devil would be an awesome inclusion for this deck!
    Goblin Guide + Stoneforge = opposite strategies. I think Loam Lion, Kird Ape, Steppe Lynx, or one of these types of cards would be good.

Another note: Lists should probably focus on the sligh approach- burning out blockers (if any) then attacking onto the empty field- this way, you get to use Confidant for draw and for swinging in.

Other question is asking if you want discard in this type of deck or not. Running black discard here is kind of akin to running counters in UR Delver or RUG Tempo. In both cases, these cards "dilute" your linear strategy but the question is this - do you want to focus on winning on as fast as possible? Would you generally win the games that you win whether you run a strategy convoluted with discard anyway? (I mean is running pure burn "win more" compared to burn & discard?)? Will discard consistently slow you down more than the opponent? (If yes, then discard should be auto-include)

4 Blightning is overkill, past the first one any others will be a 3 mana chain lightning. Not many decks in legacy can refill too quickly.

If I were to play a deck like this I'd probably go for a burn/sligh approach myself. I have often pondered about R/b/w decks a few years back, but never found it to be viable. I do believe that the deck should be heavy on red and a couple of minor modifications to include black and white.

I'd like to play something like this:

//Creatures 16
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Vexing Devil
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Dark Confidant

//Burn 20
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Bump in the Night
    4 Rift Bolt

//Utillity 5
    2 Blightning
    3 Lightning Helix

//Land 19
    6 - 8 Fetch
    4 - 6 Duals
    4 - 5 Mountain
    0 - 1 Plains
    0 - 1 Swamp

EDIT: Helix could/should be PtE I guess.
    EDIT 2: Avg CMC is 0.81, so Dark Confidant is optimally used in that sense if you ask me :)
    Last edited by Hireax; 04-17-2012 at 10:45 AM.

I think Hireax has probably the best list posted so far.

Thread Information