Thread: EDH general dies.

Hybrid View

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

EDH general dies.

I noticed that on gatherer is a small change in wording.

For example Child of alara:

When Child of Alara dies, destroy all nonland permanents. They can't be regenerated.

Previous wording was mentioning entering the graveyard. Now it simply dies.

Question:
    If I decide to put child into the graveyard the ability will surely trigger. What if I decide to put it into Command zone?

Similar question for all Legendary creatures which trigger their ability "when dies". Keiga and all Kamigawa dragons...

Re: EDH general dies.

"dies" is a direct analog of "when [this card] is put into the graveyard from the battlefield"

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...ly/feature/144

I'm not all up on how EDH replacement effects work but what ever worked previously under those rules should work work the same way with the new wording. It's merely a templating change. From what I remember moving to the command zone is a replacement effect, you chose if you want your general to go to graveyard or the "throne" instead, since it never goes to the graveyard it should not trigger triggers that require the card to go to the graveyard.
    ^Has bromance with Brainstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrsturm View Post
    I'm not all up on how EDH replacement effects work but what ever worked previously under those rules should work work the same way with the new wording. It's merely a templating change. From what I remember moving to the command zone is a replacement effect, you chose if you want your general to go to graveyard or the "throne" instead, since it never goes to the graveyard it should not trigger triggers that require the card to go to the graveyard.
    Yep, you actually have to let your Child go to the graveyard to trigger it's ability. Command zone doesn't work

Yep, "dies" is just more of the foofy shorthand WotC has been adding to the game the last few years. It doesn't functionally change anything.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

So it reflects the situation as we usually play it and it reflects the fact that new wording is terrible.

Thanks.

Kicker of Elves
    Jul 2008
    Kingston Ont. Canada

Slightly n00b question. I can choose to have my general goto the GY as opposed to the "commander zone", If so can they then be reanimated?

I interpreted the rule as they hit the yard and then it is removed from the game into the "commander zone". Which sounds silly now that I have typed it out...
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Dredge is like a woman's period: Once a week every month, its fury engulfs everything, and then it hides for the rest of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Should rename this thread to [SCD] Misguided Rage.

Thread Information