Thread: Bridge From Below vs. Replacement Effects

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Bridge From Below vs. Replacement Effects

How do creatures like Progenitus or Blightsteel Colossus interact with Bridge from Below?

Does sacrificing my Progenitus or Blightsteel Colossus (for whatever reason) cause my Bridge from Belows in the graveyard create Zombie triggers?

Does my opponent sacrificing his Progenitus or Blightsteel Colossus cause my Bridges to get exiled?

Do the situations change if instead of Progenitus or Blightsteel Colossus, I had a "normal" creature, but Leyline of the Void or Wheel of Sun and Moon (affecting/targeting the relevant player for each case) were in play?

Re: Bridge From Below vs. Replacement Effects

Progenitus and B/DSC don't touch the graveyard, when they die => no tokens. or exile

Same with LotV or Wheel of Sun and Moon. They replace going to the graveyard with something else => the bridge doesn't get exiled.

Jul 2009
    NRW, GER

614.6. If an event is replaced, it never happens. A modified event occurs instead, which may in turn trigger abilities. Note that the modified event may contain instructions that can’t be carried out, in which case the impossible instruction is simply ignored.
    In all of your examples, the creatures never hit the graveyard. Instead, they are shuffled in your library / exiled / put on the bottm instead. Therefore, Bridge from Below has no reason to trigger at all.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Thanks for the replies.

As a follow up, if I have a Bridge from Below in the yard, and my opponent's token creature dies, my understanding is that my Bridge from Below will still get exiled. In this case, I assume the token actually does "enter the graveyard", but is immediately exiled as a state-based effect, rather than as a replacement effect?

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, consider the situation where I have a Bridge in the graveyard, and my opponent uses the Unearth ability to return his Hellspark Elemental into play. Regardless of whether I block the unearthed elemental, whether I Firestorm/Darkblast it, or whether it dies naturally at EOT, my Bridges do not get exiled, correct? Since the Unearth ability specifies a replacement effect for when it would otherwise leave play.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

As a follow up, if I have a Bridge from Below in the yard, and my opponent's token creature dies, my understanding is that my Bridge from Below will still get exiled. In this case, I assume the token actually does "enter the graveyard", but is immediately exiled as a state-based effect, rather than as a replacement effect?
    State-based action is the term now, but yes.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, consider the situation where I have a Bridge in the graveyard, and my opponent uses the Unearth ability to return his Hellspark Elemental into play. Regardless of whether I block the unearthed elemental, whether I Firestorm/Darkblast it, or whether it dies naturally at EOT, my Bridges do not get exiled, correct? Since the Unearth ability specifies a replacement effect for when it would otherwise leave play.
    Yes, the creature never dies/goes to the graveyard.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information