Thread: Avacyn Restored boxes or singles?

Avacyn Restored boxes or singles?

I really have been loving the spoiler so far for Avacyn Restored. This is the first set, since Urza's block, that I am really considering buying some boxes. So I have a question for all you Legacy players out there. Do you buy boxes? Or just singles?

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Re: Avacyn Restored boxes or singles?

If you only need money cards for legacy it is obvoiusly -EV to buy boxes. I recommend buying boosters only if you get a limited game out of it.
    Currently playing: Elves

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

If you only want Legacy cards singles.

If you play Standard or if you have a lot of time to trade right after the set comes out get boxes. There are a lot of chase rares in this set, you could probably clear up in trades if you were so inclined.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

This time around there's a lot of chase rares, at least some worth getting right away while they are expensive. I want to see if they will hold any of that though before I start getting into this set.

Normal rares don't hold value worth a crap usually and Mythics tend to drop some also after the release tournaments. If you want them for that first day of FNM, then buy boxes as everyone will want the same stuff unless you have an area full of tabletop players who want weird non-tournament staples. In that case, buy some packs and enjoy the trading.

I'll wait and see if it's worth buying packs. It usually isn't and it's better to buy playsets of singles. You can usually count on getting maybe 1 of the mythics you want and at best 2 of the rare you want per box. Add it up and see if it totals more than what you would pay for just buying the singles. Buying play sets almost always wins out especially after that release tournament.

I do recomment buying play sets of mythics you want. They are almost always worth just getting singles of due to it being a pain to try and pack them. You can try and trade, but you need to know if you're just going to end up fighting your whole store going after the same cards they want also.

Kicker of Elves
    Jul 2008
    Kingston Ont. Canada

I haven't bought a box since Lorwyn block and I think I will this time just to off load all of the chase rares for Legacy staples, thank goodness for standard players!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Dredge is like a woman's period: Once a week every month, its fury engulfs everything, and then it hides for the rest of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Should rename this thread to [SCD] Misguided Rage.

Thanks for the input. Really I want the Legacy playable cards, which are mostly rare and mythic. I am looking forward to using my MUC deck with Temporal Mastery.

I just looked up Mythic information, only 1 out of 8 boosters can have a Mythic? I knew Mythics were harder to find but I did not realize. So out of a box you can only expect to find about 4 Mythics? I think I will just buy the singles then.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

A really awesome box will have 6-8 mythics in it. Yeah, it's that low. And remember half of those will be the chaff you don't really want and can't trade anyway.

Though I have noticed a slightly higher mythic count in Fat packs for some reason. I tend to buy those exclusively if I plan to buy packs.

I do play standard, Modern, and a few random formats like Block and EDH though. That means I'll be after more than most people. If you're a Legacy only player, totally stick to play sets. Can't stress that enough. Legacy barely moves as far as new cards go.

Granted, all it takes is one to totally shift the meta around and make some other new deck top dog and have people cry about it because they have no brains. All in all, it's rare to see many Legacy cards from one set.

Thread Information