• RUG Tempo

36 21.95%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RUG Tempos real name

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

RUG Tempos real name

There's been a discuission on the RUG Tempo thread about this decks real name. Is it Canadian Threshold or RUG Delver/Tempo? I think in order to calrifiy this, it'd be a good idea to make a poll about this topic.

Greetings

EDIT: Sorry I meant Canadian Threshold in the poll. I am sorry.
    I just recognized that I typed Threshold wrong all the time. Excuses for this.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Kicker of Elves
    Jul 2008
    Kingston Ont. Canada

Re: RUG Tempos real name

I'm Canadian and David Caplan (goobafish here on mtgsource) who was a pretty predominate player of the deck, slings cards here in my home town so I have to go to bat for Canadian Threshold.

RUG Tempo isn't a terrible name either, Canadian Thresh just sounds cooler #solidreasoning
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Dredge is like a woman's period: Once a week every month, its fury engulfs everything, and then it hides for the rest of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Should rename this thread to [SCD] Misguided Rage.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Agreed.

Someone argued in the RUG Tempo's thread that SCG refuses to label this deck as Canadian Threshold because they say on of their (SCG) guys invited this deck - as there are Snapcasters+Delver in it. And the traditional Canadian didnt play it (oh really? I guess they weren't printed back then right?^^)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

I really don't care what it's called, but RUG Tempo to me is more descriptive of what the deck actually does. In fact, when I first started playing the deck, I couldn't find it anywhere on other forums because Canadian Threshold has not much to do with the deck anymore. I mean Mongoose is still in there, but Werebear... no so much.

On a side note, thanks for moving this out of the main deck discussion thread. It didn't really need to be in there, and here it can be discussed as a topic of it's own.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Significant changes to the list:
    -adding 3-4 additional creatures
    -often dropping Stifle in favor of Spell Pierce, or at least playing some number of Pierce in the main
    -generally cutting the 'flex'/utility slots like V. Clique, Rushing River, Wipe Away, etc.
    -generally cutting Fire//Ice entirely in favor of Forked Bolt, Dismember, and/or Chain Lightning
    -some lists cutting FoW to 3
    -some lists using Snapcaster and/or Scavenging Ooze
    -some lists using Green Sun Zenith
    -sideboard cards choices adapting to the modern metagame
    -the only 'threshold' card remaining is Nimble Mongoose. Ancient threshold decks sometimes played stuff like Werebear, Mystic Enforcer, and/or Fledgling Dragon alongside the Goose, giving more reason for the original name

With the additional creatures, the deck plays out more like a modern 'Merfolk' deck, in that it's a blue deck that beats [most] other blue decks with aggressive creatures + disruption while still having game against the rest of the field.

I think the naming convention is arbitrary. Canadian Threshold is an interesting piece of Legacy history, but the deck has evolved quite a bit from its roots and I think the changes are significant enough that the deck can be renamed to better reflect what it actually is.

tl;dr: I don't care

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

RUG Tempo is more descriptive, but Canadian Threshold is a cooler name, and it carries more weight in Legacy history.

Also, Legacy is full of decks with non-descriptive names.

I vote Canadian Threshold, it's what I've been calling it since I first sleeved it up, circa 2008.

I imagine different decks under the names and I strongly prefer color order by importance over pseudo funny associations

Canadian Threshold - 4xgoyf, 4xMongoose 20 to the face, Rushing River or Clique classics, now with delver
    URG Thresh - CT non standard lists
    RUG Tempo - snapcasters, grims ... I used American Threshold as a working term for standard lists with Snapcasters over Mongoose, that only American guys used to play while my european friends sad its total crap

=delver, stifle, mongoose list is a Canadian Threshold successor for me everything other is URG tempo or NLT

Aug 2011
    Italy

There are no blades in Stoneblade nowadays mostly but it's still called Stoneblade init? At least RUG has Goose. Don't piss me off or I'll call it the Red Miracle Gro. After all, the modern Threshold decks have their roots in the old Gro decks.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Canadian Thresh. Thanks for making this thread, as this needed to be discussed/clarified.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    RUG Tempo is more descriptive, but Canadian Threshold is a cooler name, and it carries more weight in Legacy history.
    +1

Like I said in its discussion thread, the naming of a deck is generally irrelevant. I've been calling it RUG Delver/RUG Tempo to try to be more descriptive to people who are unfamiliar with the format. Instead of asking what is so Canadian about the deck, they can deduce what the strategy is from the name (3 color tempo strategy). I'm fine with that.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

It's called Canadian, also there was already an archetype called NO RUG.

Since we're talking about names, it's really Benzo, not Reanimator; Secret Force, not NO RUG; MUD, not Metalworker; Excalibur, not Blade Control (see what I did there).

Also, why Maverick? Why not stick to G/W Survival as an ode to the banned card?

EDIT: can we call MUD as Workshop? I know Workshop is banned in legacy but it's essentially where the archetype comes from.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Ok, here's a piece of enlightenment for everybody who's confused about decknames.

Canadian Threshold is the old 58 fixed cards + Rushing River and Clique deck. It recently added 4 Delver because it fits its general plan perfectly.

RUG Tempo plays Snapcaster Mage and often drops Stifle. It's actually pretty close to what used to be NO RUG. In case you've played NO RUG you will surely agree. RUG Tempo's fundamental turn is 1 turn slower than NO Rug because of the banning on Mental Misstep.

Right now, there's a clear distinction between these two decks in the form of Snapcaster and their opinion on Stifle. I'm friends with (or at least know) some of the very best European Canadian Threshold pilots and they would all never touch Snapcaster Mage because it doesn't belong in the deck.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Worlds Strongest Millionaire
    Aug 2011
    Colorado

The deck has nothing to do with Sasquatch or hockey rug tempo quickly and concisely explains what the deck does to anyone with a general knowledge of magic speak.
    If there is a point it is that when we are talking strategy in person or on a website such as this for simplicity sake let's use names that are straightforward and descriptive.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I agree, we need more strategic discussion of The Mighty Quinn. </tangent>
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Both of those names are terrible. All of the names of every deck are terrible. We should just rename everything to "Boner Soup" and denote it by color.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Both of those names are terrible. All of the names of every deck are terrible. We should just rename everything to "Boner Soup" and denote it by color.
    "RUG Boner Soup" does have a nice ring to it

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    Significant changes to the list:
    -adding 3-4 additional creatures
    -often dropping Stifle in favor of Spell Pierce, or at least playing some number of Pierce in the main
    -generally cutting the 'flex'/utility slots like V. Clique, Rushing River, Wipe Away, etc.
    -generally cutting Fire//Ice entirely in favor of Forked Bolt, Dismember, and/or Chain Lightning
    -some lists cutting FoW to 3
    -some lists using Snapcaster and/or Scavenging Ooze
    -some lists using Green Sun Zenith
    -sideboard cards choices adapting to the modern metagame
    -the only 'threshold' card remaining is Nimble Mongoose. Ancient threshold decks sometimes played stuff like Werebear, Mystic Enforcer, and/or Fledgling Dragon alongside the Goose, giving more reason for the original name

With the additional creatures, the deck plays out more like a modern 'Merfolk' deck, in that it's a blue deck that beats [most] other blue decks with aggressive creatures + disruption while still having game against the rest of the field.

I think the naming convention is arbitrary. Canadian Threshold is an interesting piece of Legacy history, but the deck has evolved quite a bit from its roots and I think the changes are significant enough that the deck can be renamed to better reflect what it actually is.

tl;dr: I don't care
    I don't know if I can agree the deck in its current form is that much different from the old Canadian Threshold. If you would just compare this old list:
    http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l..._Wienburg.html

to Kenny Castor's 2nd place list at GP Indy:
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...2&iddeck=57326

are the two decks really that different from each other? All I see is Delver instead of V.Clique, and Forked Bolt instead of Fire/Ice. Oh, and there's a singleton SDT in Kenny's list. Everything else in the two lists is the same! Can we really say the modern list is that much different from the old list?

Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze View Post
    The deck has nothing to do with Sasquatch or hockey rug tempo quickly and concisely explains what the deck does to anyone with a general knowledge of magic speak.
    If there is a point it is that when we are talking strategy in person or on a website such as this for simplicity sake let's use names that are straightforward and descriptive.
    What does Maverick have to do with fighter jets? What does Team America have to do with NASCAR? Why don't we just call Maverick "GW Stoneblade" or "GW Aggro" then. And change the name of the Team America thread to "BUG Tempo". After all, it would quickly and concisely explain what the deck does...

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Chose "Canadian Threshold" for patriotic reasons and because Cappy is a cool guy.

Also, I'm strongly in favour of adopting the SCG policy for Legacy deck names: the colours of the deck followed by the term "Stoneblade". Handy reference guide:
    UW Stoneblade = UW Stoneblade
    Deadguy Ale = BW Stoneblade
    Maverick = GW Stoneblade
    Team America = BUG Stoneblade
    TES = BUWR Stoneblade
    High Tide = Mono-U Stoneblade
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Also, I'm strongly in favour of adopting the SCG policy for Legacy deck names: the colours of the deck followed by the term "Stoneblade".
    That is not how you spell "Boner Soup".
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Thread Information