Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your first deck :)

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Re: Your first deck :)

Gro before it was really Gro.

Tools N' Tubbies was really my first constructed competitive deck in a real format.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

This thread is awesome!

UW Control (circa 1996)
    Can't remember all the details, but something like this:
    2x Moat
    2-4x Mana Drain (can't recall exactly how many I had at the time)
    2x Counterspell (auf Deutsch)
    2x Force of Will
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Ancestral Recall
    1x Braingeyser
    1x Recall
    1x Jayemdae Tome
    1x Balance (auf Deutsch)
    1x Wrath of God
    1x Feldon's Cane (for the mirror)
    1x Zuran Orb
    4x Disenchant (1x Beta)
    4x Serra Angel (1x Alpha)
    1x Strip Mine
    1x Library of Alexandria
    4x Tundra
    Some Islands/Plains

It was never actually "completed" since I didn't acquire all the power until nearly 15 years later, but it was pretty decent in my area at the time. The scariest opponent opening then was Swamp, Jet, Ritual, Juzam or Ritual, Hyppie so I did fine. It later morphed into a 5 color control deck.

I also used to run a BG deck packing the awesome tech of Tracker/Sorceress Queen for creature control. I pulled a Bayou out of my first Revised starter deck, so I've maintained at least one BG deck ever since (currently it's Savra in EDH).

Technically speaking though, the first deck I really completed to my liking is Legacy Enchantress (though my favorite is obviously my (now) fully powered Vintage deck).

Quote Originally Posted by leegoo
    The entire goal was to browse-digger into strip mine lock. Right after I traded my Moats for Balduvian Horde's... looking back, not the best trade I've ever made although at the time I was getting Value! RED JUZAM!!! OMG! You can cast that with Orcish Lumberjacks!!!!
    I was on the opposite side of a trade like that. I pulled two back to back Balduvian Hordes out of packs right after Alliances came out and traded them 10 minutes later for a signed Mana Drain (which I still have).

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Tools N' Tubbies was really my first constructed competitive deck in a real format.
    TnT was sooooo much fun! It was one of those decks that was awesome to play with and against.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

My first true 60 was some zombie list.. that got absolutely crushed by dragon combo.. But.. Here's what I believe was my first real tuned legacy list that I won a few tournaments with.

RDW
    Artifacts
    4 Cursed Scroll
    4 Tangle Wire

Creature
    2 Blistering Firecat
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Jackal Pup
    4 Mogg Fanatic

Instants
    2 Fireblast
    4 Lava Dart
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Magma Jet

Land
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    6 Mountain
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    3 Wooded Foothills

Sorcery
    4 Chain Lightning

The sideboard had some number of sulfuric vortex red elemental blast / pyroblast and artifact destruction, and boy was it fun to play.
    Team FireBrothers

I first played right when Ice Age came out. My first deck was MUC with Force Spike and Counterspell and Deflection. My finisher was Leviathan or Polar Kraken

Перетягивание
    Feb 2012
    Canberra, Australia

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

My first booster pack I open had an Orims chant in it (planeshift just came out) Obviously I traded this for a pile of Wurms cause Scaled Wurm was nuts. My first deck I ever made revolved around "comboing" endless wurm and rancor and the rest of the deck was just a "wurm deck". Looking back, I am pretty impressed I thought that up for literally my first deck ever.

My first deck that wasnt complete garbage, and I was actually played for a while however, was something like this. I still have a soft spot for wild mongrel and anything with madness:

4 Shivan Oasis
    8 Forest
    6 Mountain

4 Llanowar Elves
    1 Grim lavamancer
    4 Kird Ape

4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Wild Mongrel
    2 Anger
    2 Arrogant Wurm

4 Rancor
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Firebolt
    4 Fiery Temper
    3 Violent eruption

Survival, a decent landbase and the other 3 Lavamancers where too expensive for 10 year old me.

Can't remember the exact list, something like:

4 swords to plowshares
    2 control magic

4 counterspell
    4 force of will
    2 powersink
    2 spellblast

2 mahamoti djinn
    4 serra angel

3 kjeldoran outpost

Maybe 1 or 2 disenchant, alabaster potion and some other random things. No wrath of gods, couldn't afford them at the time

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I want to add this this topic is really fun to read and post to. Kudos Humphrey for opening it and for everyone to posted. Keep the good, the bad, and the ugly decklists coming.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Aug 2011
    Italy

Counter-Phoenix Circa'98

4 Force Spike
    4 Mana Leak
    4 Counterspell
    4 Forbid

3 Intuition
    2 Whispers of the Muse
    1 Scroll Rack

1 Fireball
    1 Searing Touch
    3 Nevinyrral's Disk
    2 Capsize

4 Shard Phoenix

3 Stalking Stones
    2 Reflecting Pool
    1 Caldera Lake
    12 Island
    9 Mountain

Even trading Disks were a big deal but this deck was such fun to play. Everything you'd need from a control deck back then :) I'm still looking to get the same taste from a modern deck (not the Modern, just modern).

In fact my girlfriend got me this birthday cake last year after I got back to Magic.

The first deck I remember building was some sort of mashup of cards from Portal and what I could get from friends. I think Tempest was the most recent set at the time. I don't remember much about the deck, but I do remember being amazed by how powerful Whiptail Wurm seemed.

My first Legacy deck was a netdecked Spring Tide build. The first one I built myself was some sort of WUr Fish-ish deck I built around the time Time Spiral came out because I wanted to take advantage of Serra Avenger.

Dec 2003
    Portland OR

Hmm, let's see. I remember trading some sugar cookies for my first cards in junior high. A FUCKING SEA SERPENT(!!!!!OMG!!!!) and the 6 Islands to cast it. That thing was massive!!! a 5/5!!!

I built up a small but worthless collection buying revised, 4th edition and fallen empires starters, eventually making a blue and black random conglomeration of sengir vampire, royal assassin, phantasmal terrian and SEA SERPENT(!!!).

My collection was stolen one day at school and I didn't return to Magic until high school junior/senior year. 7th had just come out and Invasion was also about to join the fray. I learned I really, REALLY loved killing creatures and while rummaging through a local stores red commons, uncommons and random crap rares I found a frakkin' amazing combo:

Aether Flash + Death Pits of Rath

Assuming I could get this high CC combo off quickly, I'd dominate all the school multiplayer games we played. I ended up with something close to this:

4 Aether Flash
    4 Death Pits of Rath
    4 Mana Flare
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Terminate
    4 Fireball
    4 Pyroclasm
    2 Pestilence
    2 Drain Life
    1 Demonic Tutor
    2 Rolling Thunder
    3 Crypt Rats

4 Badlands
    4 Sulfurous Springs
    7 Mountain
    7 Swamp

I usually got targeted and killed first in multiplayer games because nobody in the games liked having ALL the creatures in play die horrible deaths except me.

I then built a Coalition Victory deck with Harrow, Birds of Paradise, Lay of the Land, Rampant growth, Sliver Queen, Cromat, and Atogatog. No duals, all basics. Then after winning many multiplayer games and losing many tournaments, I found a group of extremely competitive players playing Psychatog, MBC and U/G Madness. I copied the world champion's 'tog deck, starting actually winning some tournaments and never looked back. I really enjoy tournament Magic because of that era of my life.
    It's not a sin to be weak, it's a sin to stay weak.

keepin' it unreal
    May 2007
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Picc View Post
    That takes me back but yes I do remember. It was a simpler time back in the pre classical era of the DCI I like to think of the wild wild west of magic. I was a latch key kid with descent grades an interest in e sports (which we called quake) and to much time on my hands. This "great new set" called fallen empires had just come out and I was excited about hymn of tourach.

The 40 card deck consisted of
    hypnotic specterx4
    hymn of tourachx4
    the rack x4
    dark ritual x4
    basal thrullx2
    abyssal specterx2
    willow wispx2
    demonic tutor
    necropotence
    library of leng
    terrorx2
    mind twist
    Swampx12
    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Do you remember your first deck you played? I mean the first you completed the way you wanted it to be not the random junk you had to play with the first starter.

Just for fun Ive thrown it together again, back in the days where we only played multiplayer it was a blast ^^
    I remember I always wanted Royal Assasin for it, but it was just to expensive.
    It had some much nice combos like Minion of TS and Sorceress Queen or Breeding Pit, Autocrat with Hecatomb... ahh, good old times.

// Lands
    20 [IA] Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 [AL] Lake of the Dead

// Creatures
    1 [IA] Minion of Leshrac
    1 [IA] Minion of Tevesh Szat
    2 [R] Sorceress Queen
    1 [IA] Drift of the Dead
    1 [TSB] Sengir Autocrat
    2 [R] Bad Moon
    4 [4E] Hypnotic Specter
    2 [R] Will-o'-the-Wisp
    1 [CH] Hell's Caretaker
    3 [R] Sengir Vampire
    1 [R] Demonic Hordes
    1 [4E] Nightmare
    1 [HL] Baron Sengir

// Spells
    4 [MM] Dark Ritual
    2 [FE] Breeding Pit
    1 [6E] Hecatomb
    3 [TE] Dark Banishing
    4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (2)
    1 [R] Sol Ring
    1 [R] Demonic Tutor
    2 [IA] Icy Manipulator

A mix between those, flowing in one direction one time then going the other way another time. Going from discard to controlish to Bad Moon and creatures. Sometimes with red (lightning bolt and whatnot). No Revised cards thou, like Sol Ring or Demonic Tutor. Second semester of 1996.
    "Want all, lose all."

Musta been around 2001. Right after Planeshift came out I made a BRG Darigaaz deck that was obviously awesome. It was just a bunch of aggro cards and some burn spells. Skizziks and Ghitu Fire all day long.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

First Legacy Deck:

23 Island

2 Morhpling
    1 Rainbow Efreet

4 Force of Will
    4 Impulse
    4 Propaganda
    4 Back to Basics
    4 Powder Keg
    3 Vedalken Shackles
    4 Counterspell
    4 Spell Snare
    3 Fact or Fiction
    It's also scientifically proven that resolving Nicol Bolas during a competitive legacy event causes the caster's penis to grow a good two or three inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

Here is mine :

Red Sligh :

Creatures
    4xmogg fanatic
    4xJackal pup
    4xball lightning
    2xmogg flunkies
    4xironclaw orcs

Spells
    4xlightning bolt
    4xshock // didnt know chain lightning existed :P
    4xincinerate
    4xfireblast // I am still in love with this one as well as bolt and fanatic

Lands

4xghitu encampment
    12xmountains
    1xstrip mine // I had only one...and NO wastelands ( I guess they cost some cents back then)

Nice thread! Brought back memories... Very nice memories like my very first Type1 tournament( placed 5th or 6th i believe) with the above deck. I don't remember my sideboard but I do remember I didn't have any ankh of mishra or red elemental blast and got ass kicked by 2 mother *** blue mages (full control shit with morphlings and chills (one of them had also enlightened tutors [R.I.P] . This was actually a tuned version (!) of a deck my best friend had made (there was no internet shit back then- well there was as it was 2004 when the tournament took place but in my country was insanely expensive and we didn't have). I have been playing magic since my 12 (wow 14 years already!) and had the deck from back then. When I went to the tournament I was 18 :P . Yeah talking about slow development in the game... Oh and bprobably there were some cursed scrolls in the above list as well.

P.s : I too remember duals going for 25$ and forces for 12$ and I thought they were soooo expensive. Too bad I didn't buy a shitload of them when I could.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

Quote Originally Posted by warfordium View Post
    I would say around 1996-1998. Correct?

@Hollywood : Dude you are soooo old!!!! Really?? You played from the beginning? You lucky ****!!!!
    @dahcmai : OMFG THIS WAS THE DECK I SAW IN A BOOK !!! MY VERY FIRST LOVE! REANIMATOR!! Since then I always wanted to make a Reanimator myself but never had the cards. Hint: I finally did and kick some guys' asses at A LOT of tours MEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorMask View Post
    I would say around 1996-1998. Correct?
    swish. at age 16 i was like "girls, or buy Power/play blue?"

i went for girls. should have bought Power?

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

Quote Originally Posted by warfordium View Post
    swish. at age 16 i was like "girls, or buy Power/play blue?"

i went for girls. should have bought Power?
    Nah you did the right thing! I was really shy at this age so I went for Power (nahhhhh! always had empty pockets!)

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

First deck ever- mono green shenanigans with Force of Nature and Scaled Wurm with Fastbond.

First real deck was RB Reanimator during Onslaught/Odyssey standard with bombs consisting of: Visara the Dreadful, Arcanis the Omnipotent and Phantom Nishoba. That deck was so much fun that I decided to make Legacy Reanimator.

First Legacy deck- UB Reanimator w/ Mystical Tutor
    Asylum EDH: Foil or go home.

Thread Information