Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Terminus

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Re: [SCD] Terminus

I think that at the very least it will be a strong sideboard card against midrange aggro, e.g. Maverick.

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    I think that at the very least it will be a strong sideboard card against midrange aggro, e.g. Maverick.
    This is definitely the best current deck it is a strong counter too, but it is my opinion that this and a few other cards from the next expansion are going to fundamentally alter the Legacy meta.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

People who are talking about how good miracle cards are on account of Jace, Brainstorm and Top forget another useful tool to make these things work: Scroll Rack. That card will rise in prise.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    People who are talking about how good miracle cards are on account of Jace, Brainstorm and Top forget another useful tool to make these things work: Scroll Rack. That card will rise in prise.
    I don't like Scroll Rack. With Top you can cash in the Top at any time to get a card. With the Scroll Rack you just lose a card. Also it doesn't allow you to cast miracles on your opponents turn because it doesn't draw cards.

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Of course this is only untested theory but it should be fairly obvious that the power level of Terminus/Entreat the Angels combined with Brainstorm and Senseis Top is too high. Imo the only deck in the Meta that would have a chance against a UW Control deck with 3-4 Terminus and Entreat the Angels would be RUG because it can criple the setup. But Terminus is still awesome against RUG because it is a way to deal with Nimble Mongoose.

This kind of UW will rarely lose to Maverick or other swarm based Aggro and I don't see a solution for those decks. Wrath and Jace in the same turn is just too much to recover from and Teeg alone won't cut it. This also means that they get to play with Counterbalance because CB is worst against Maverick but very good against Combo and Burn. And for the Control Mirror, what could you possibly do that even comes close to Entreat the Angels? Nothing!

Miracle basically calls for a preemptive ban. Something has to go and I think it will happen and it will be Brainstorm, maybe even Sensei's Top too.
    Better take Mirri's Guile with that too. It's functionally a free SDT that doesn't protect itself and doesn't let you cast on your opponents turn... seems good enough.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Mirri's Guile doesn't have activation cost, but it's card disadvantage compared with Sensei's Divining Top, given that you can draw a card out of the latter and then shuffle your library with a fetchland. Also, SDT is faster if you have mana to activate.
    That's why people play SDT and Sylvan Library over Mirri's Guile. Better than compare it with SDT, you should compare it with a permanent Natural Selection restricted to yourself, and unable to shuffle your library.

Will you also call for a ban for Natural Selection?

Please, don't start suggesting Natural Selection and Visions as answers against the opponent's miracles.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    I don't like Scroll Rack. With Top you can cash in the Top at any time to get a card. With the Scroll Rack you just lose a card. Also it doesn't allow you to cast miracles on your opponents turn because it doesn't draw cards.
    True, but unlike Top, it allows you to get a miracle that you got in your opening hand back in the library. It's a card that works best with Life from the Loam, but it's quite good with miracle too.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Terminus is the strongest evidence that a card designed with little or nothing attention for its impact on Legacy- as some of the Miracle cards are- will likely drive the format into one-way dominion by few archetypes (namely UW control) in the next 3 months, with some of the current tiers (Maverick) being pushed out badly. The card is excessively retarded and it being narrow isn't really a justification for the tremendous impact on a game for a single white mana. Tao in the first page said everything right, unfortunately.

This will eventually lead to an urgency-ban for Brainstorm, which is probably where they wanted to get. I predict this will happen in the very next B&R announcement, because 3 months are plenty of time to demonstrate how the format has been badly butchered.

Instead of talking shit about horrible cards to make it work or to fight it, try to look further and begin to evaluate how to revamp your decks without Brainstorm.
    And, in case you weren't play it (and maybe you'd be even actually happy without it around), try to anticipate what will surge and how to modify your deck accordingly. Beware decks like Belcher or Pox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

2224 players? Count me there!
    Sep 2006
    Rio de Janeiro

Tarmogoyf is so insane. Best have it banned!

Stoneforge Mystic is absurd. Let's ban it!

Snapcaster Mage should never been printed. It's so damn good! Ban it!

Miracle cards will change the environment. What a sacrilege! They deserve a preemptive ban so banworthy they are! Ban them right now, ban ban ban!

Oh, the Legacy community. So attached to their Tundras and Underground Seas, that they'll always refuse to leave 1994.
    Tapping lands and watching the sky falling since 1995.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    FeFe Team - Fame, girls and Mox Diamonds
    AHHHHHHH MULHEK!!!!

Elen Síla Lúmenn Ommentielvo!

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGreen View Post
    Tarmogoyf is so insane. Best have it banned!

Stoneforge Mystic is absurd. Let's ban it!

Snapcaster Mage should never been printed. It's so damn good! Ban it!

Miracle cards will change the environment. What a sacrilege! They deserve a preemptive ban so banworthy they are! Ban them right now, ban ban ban!

Oh, the Legacy community. So attached to their Tundras and Underground Seas, that they'll always refuse to leave 1994.
    Clearly you have little to no lungimirance to understand the difference between a powerful 2-drop and a card like Terminus, especially for what it could imply for a healthy, diverse metagame where midrange and aggro can still perform decently (as now they are). I wish, ironically, that your deck of first choice is Maverick, or Elves, Goblins ("nice Cavern Soul, btw! Look, instead of countering them, I'll wipe your threats") or even Reanimator, for that's worth.
    None of this is mine, but I'm still enough sensed to point out when a card is undoubtedly excessive.
    None of the cards you mentioned is, because they can't provide tremendous advantages for a single instant-speed mana that doesn't fall under any played disruption, saved Fow and Stifle (which the aforementioned archetypes, baring Reanimator, do NOT play).

Save your taste for blatantly flaming on stereotypical basis for another topic, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Terminus is the strongest evidence that a card designed with little or nothing attention for its impact on Legacy- as some of the Miracle cards are- will likely drive the format into one-way dominion by few archetypes (namely UW control) in the next 3 months, with some of the current tiers (Maverick) being pushed out badly. The card is excessively retarded and it being narrow isn't really a justification for the tremendous impact on a game for a single white mana. Tao in the first page said everything right, unfortunately.

This will eventually lead to an urgency-ban for Brainstorm, which is probably where they wanted to get. I predict this will happen in the very next B&R announcement, because 3 months are plenty of time to demonstrate how the format has been badly butchered.
    Word up.
    Even if I don't really think they printed Miracle mechanic in order to ban Brainstorm. It will just be a natural consequence of Terminus (and to a lesser extent) Walk 2.0 being printed.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

SteelinSumOfUrTechKThxBai
    Jan 2008

No people go nuts about Wrath of God? A six mana variant even?
    I mean, miracle's cute and all, but I highly doubt we will be seeing these cards implemeted in many archetypes, as the variance on them is really high, even in jace.deck.

I feel like this is the Extirpate discussion all over again.
    "Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a fatty that Jamie Wakefield seems to have overlooked. It has a tremendous power and toughness of 3000/2500, making it bigger than current threats such as Tarmogoyf or Mountain."

2224 players? Count me there!
    Sep 2006
    Rio de Janeiro

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Clearly you have little to no lungimirance to understand the difference between a powerful 2-drop and a card like Terminus, especially for what it could imply for a healthy, diverse metagame where midrange and aggro can still perform decently (as now they are). I wish, ironically, that your deck of first choice is Maverick, or Elves, Goblins ("nice Cavern Soul, btw! Look, instead of countering them, I'll wipe your threats") or even Reanimator, for that's worth.
    None of this is mine, but I'm still enough sensed to point out when a card is undoubtedly excessive.
    None of the cards you mentioned is, because they can't provide tremendous advantages for a single instant-speed mana that doesn't fall under any played disruption, saved Fow and Stifle (which the aforementioned archetypes, baring Reanimator, do NOT play).

Save your taste for blatantly flaming on stereotypical basis for another topic, thanks.
    Please. Don't. You understood the post.
    Tapping lands and watching the sky falling since 1995.
    FeFe Team - Fame, girls and Mox Diamonds
    AHHHHHHH MULHEK!!!!

Elen Síla Lúmenn Ommentielvo!

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

*coughs nonchalantly*
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

At least in my opinion, Terminus is going to warp the format.

Temporal Mastery will not, as the usefulness of trading a top-decked, i.e. a draw, for an extra turn is not that great outside of temp decks. It will be great in Delver and a few other decks and basically no others.

Terminus, on the other hand, is a little different. It's actually MORE limited than Temporal Mastery, in that there is little reason to run it in a deck that runs creatures with the intent to swing with them. What makes it bad for the format is that, at least in those decks that run it, the card acts as a 1CMC, instant-speed Wrath of God.

Whether or not this will lead to Brainstorm or Top being banned, or simply to Terminus being banned, I don't know. At least IMO, the only Miracle card truly over the top that is currently widely known is Terminus, so banning that makes the most sense to me.

We'll wait and see exactly what Wizards does, but it's my guess that they will HAVE to do something.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

After testing terminus non stop for the last few days in a control shell I'm inclined to agree with eggo. Even in this early stage of deck development I was casting terminus nearly every turn I felt like it as early as t2, often at instant speed, while dropping game ending threats. One game I cast it upwards of 8 times. Because I could. Maverick will literally need to run a full set of teeg just to have a chance. Even thresh was folding to this thing although thresh probably has one of the better matchups against it. Burn, blue sligh, fast combo (non creature variety) and maybe tempo are all that will remain in the wake of terminus.
    I don't want a ban to happen until we see if its necessary but if so then it should be terminus, not brainstorm and friends that gets the hammer.

Jan 2008

One game I cast it upwards of 8 times.
    Is this some kind of joke? Either you are trying to imply that you have been flashing it back via Snapcaster, then cast runic Repetition to do it all over again, which is fairly amusing.
    Or you're misunderstanding how "casting spells" works. Hint: They don't remain in your hand.

€dit: The more I contemplate on it, the more I think some people don't understand how "Miracle" works.
    In the "Avacyn Restored"-thread someone ranted how you'd "timewalk every turn with Jace out".
    Dear folks, when "Miracle" let's you cast the card, it goes to the stack, then its goes to the graveyard (or in case of Temporal Mastery: the exile). These cards are not a giant free-roll with Buyback: Zero.
    "Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a fatty that Jamie Wakefield seems to have overlooked. It has a tremendous power and toughness of 3000/2500, making it bigger than current threats such as Tarmogoyf or Mountain."

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Obnoxious Revival + Snapcaster + Miracle
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Jan 2008

Really?
    I'd love to play against any deck packing a bunch of Noxious Revival for whatever reason.

I'm really looking forward to crushing people, who put on their new fancy miracle-pants.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Noxious Revival is a decent card and you underestimate the Miracle mechanic.

Thread Information