Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Discuss] Is Delver of Secrets overbearing?

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Re: [Discuss] Is Delver of Secrets overbearing?

Quote Originally Posted by I am the brainwasher View Post
    Delver of Secrets is a fair card IMO, since games stand and fall with him flipping or not
    What?
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    What?
    A lot of hands and lines of play are a gamble in which you have to decide to risk/calculate what will happen to your Delver and since the card's flipping ability involves variance, this can go completely wrong.
    The chances, as high as they are in percentage or manipulation through Cantrips, are still chances that can be back-breaking.
    I don't understand where you confusion about this statement, in consideration of the rest of the post, come from.
    In response...Hypothek!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I don't mind it. Then again, I had just moved to playing Sudden Shock since it's fairly prolific. The look on people's face when they can't do a damned thing about it is priceless. Not a horrid card either.
    +1. I've always loved Sudden Shock for this.

A lot of Delver's strength (in Legacy) is based upon the lazyness of a truck-load of players. Bitter pill to take, but a lot of people fail to realize that a whole lot of their beloved decks are outclassed heavily by new archetypes/decks these days, but that is not (only) the fault of Delver.
    Agree. The biggest love-hate thing about Legacy is that people are so accustomed to the idea that "every Tier 2 deck is playable somewhere" that the minute your strategy has to narrow people freak out and act like it's turning into Vintage. And there's a conception that Vintage has like 4 playable decks and that they all carry much of the same cards, so they may as well be the same decks with different win-cons.

I don't think that the trend over the last few years of Standard cards trickling down to Legacy is a bad thing at all. I just wish players wouldn't be so stolid about their card choices and hubris in response to these things. It used to be, "Jeeeez, you mean a blue-based control strategy isn't as playable or as strong as it was during Invasion? The game is FLAWED. This format SUCKS." Then it moved to, "Another set passed with nary a playable card for us? WotC HATES US. I HATE ME TOO. FUCK. LIFE. MOM. GOD." Now cards are coming our way and instead of shifting strategies - you know, like you do when new cards and decks become more playable - people go "OMG my Tier 2 BW Token deck isn't winning the matchups that I imagine it should. BAN DEVLER and give me back my nice comfy metagame." Love a duck, is there no reprieve?

Thread Information