Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Premium Article] Breaking Temporal Mastery in Legacy -- SMIP Eternal Set Review

[Premium Article] Breaking Temporal Mastery in Legacy -- SMIP Eternal Set Review

It's been a long while since I wrote a set review with Legacy in mind. This article is a joint Legacy and Vintage set review, although most of the cards reviewed are for Vintage, the vast majority of the key discussion is Legacy, largely, although not exclusively, on account of Temporal Mastery.

In this article I unveil the THREE Legacy Delver / Temporal Mastery decks I've designed and been testing.

I'm convinced that at least two of them are either broken or on the track to be broken. These are the most broken Legacy decks I've played since Hulk Flash (and I was one of the first to play that deck too!).

I learned alot from my initial lists, and I explain my testing results and findings within. Notice how my most broken versions abuse multiple printings from this set.

You'll also not want to miss the Legacy "Belcher" deck I designed around Reforge the Soul!

Check it out!

http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=2676

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Re: [Premium Article] Breaking Temporal Mastery in Legacy -- SMIP Eternal Set Review

Quote Originally Posted by Smmenen View Post
    It's been a long while since I wrote a set review with Legacy in mind. This article is a joint Legacy and Vintage set review, although most of the cards reviewed are for Vintage, the vast majority of the key discussion is Legacy, largely, although not exclusively, on account of Temporal Mastery.

In this article I unveil the THREE Legacy Delver / Temporal Mastery decks I've designed and been testing.

I'm convinced that at least two of them are either broken or on the track to be broken. These are the most broken Legacy decks I've played since Hulk Flash (and I was one of the first to play that deck too!).

I learned alot from my initial lists, and I explain my testing results and findings within. Notice how my most broken versions abuse multiple printings from this set.

You'll also not want to miss the Legacy "Belcher" deck I designed around Reforge the Soul!

Check it out!

http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=2676
    Most broken since Hulk Flash? That's surprising.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: [Premium Article] Breaking Temporal Mastery in Legacy -- SMIP Eternal Set Review

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Most broken since Hulk Flash? That's surprising.
    Well, he did qualify that with most broken decks he's played.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

There appears to be a mistake with your link. It says I have to pay money to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Aug 2011
    Italy

For only $2.99 you can also see the most broken Legacy decks since Hulk Flash, you can be broken too!

I thought advertisement was not allowed here.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

No offense, but your belcher deck has nothing on the combo deck I will be unleashing soon :)

I think this is a stupid test. Hint: if you see the more than the free excerpt, you failed. You'd be better off spending $3 on lotto tickets.

That's bad, m-kay

There have been alot of broken decks since Hulk Flash, but none that remotely reaches that level of absurdity (and I placed in the top 20 of Grand Prix Columbus with Hulk Flash). I am not claiming that this is in that league, but this is quite broken.

The synergies between the Delver creature arrays (including a new printing from Avacyn), and Temporal Mastery are truly devastating from a tempo perspective -- hence my builds in this article.

As for other truly broken decks, I don't even think the Survival and Reanimator decks that caused bannings were as broken as, say, Iggy Pop or Ad Nauseam in their original iterations. Remember, Wizards sent me all of the decks from GP Madrid when Ad Nauseam won.

I truly believe that the Delver decks I've published here will be tearing up SCG Open Top 8s very soon...

I know that may sound like hype, but the reality is that Delver decks are already top performers. Temporal Mastery -- at a minimum -- is a blue, cantrip Lightning Bolt with any one of these creatures in play. And these Delver decks often run Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning.

This strategy article attempts to explain why these decks are so broken, describes my findings and testing, and then reveals my suggested decklists.

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    No offense, but your belcher deck has nothing on the combo deck I will be unleashing soon :)
    I should qualify that these "belcher" decks no longer have Belcher. Reforge the Soul means you can reliably just execute huge turn one and two Empties every game.

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

Delver is close to be the next Hulk-Flash, Survival and Mystical-powered Reanimator/ANT wasn't thaaaaat good.

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Delver is close to be the next Hulk-Flash, Survival and Mystical-powered Reanimator/ANT wasn't thaaaaat good.

Actually, Mystic powered Reanimator/ANT didn't take that many Top 8's IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

May 2011
    Dalian, China

I should qualify that these "belcher" decks no longer have Belcher. Reforge the Soul means you can reliably just execute huge turn one and two Empties every game.
    So it's now a combo deck that relies almost entirely upon the attack step after successfully fighting through storm hate? Where to put moneys? I must bai!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Actually, Mystic powered Reanimator/ANT didn't take that many Top 8's IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Just because LaPille played it in the MTGO Casual room doesn't make it a casual deck.

RE article
    I didn't read the full article but just the preview long enough to see a fallacy. Your premise of Mastery being Zomg broken is based on a line of plays that is already stressing the limits of tempo. Adding a two mana, turn three tempo card isn't going to make that Line of play any better. Turn 1 delver, turn 2 flip and <Bolt/Daze/Fow/Stifle/Pierce> is more than enough to win games right now. Wasting Brainstorm to setup a Miracle is an abysmal use of the cant rip rather than using it to fix your draws and improve hand quality.

Legacy decks are attempting to streamline decks for consistency rather than cute tricks. Mastery is of the latter while at the same time reducing consistency (induce more mulligans). I don't agree with the premise that Temporal Mastery is the next coming of Hulk Flash.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Just because LaPille played it in the MTGO Casual room doesn't make it a casual deck.
    I'm talking about actual tournament results, not what LaPille did in his free time. I'm pretty sure IBA had some data in this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

The term "broken" is obviously and explicitly ambiguous. I never said Delver is the next Hulk-Flash. What I said is that it's the most broken deck I've played since.

Of course the Survival and Reanimator decks were good. I never said otherwise. Survival dominated the format as measured by Top 8 performance. What I was saying is that they weren't "broken" like Hulk Flash.

Temporal Mastery is broken because it's inherently unfair. I don't know whether Temporal Mastery decks -- or specifically the decks in my article -- will end up dominating the format long-term. But I can say, after testing, that they are broken, as I understand and use that term. They are unfair and unfun to play against.

It's more like a Vintage deck. Your opponent sits there while you play uninteractive games.

But I can say, after testing, that they are broken, as I understand and use that term. They are unfair and unfun to play against.
    Demands for decklist/data in 3...2...1...

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post

RE article
    I didn't read the full article but just the preview long enough to see a fallacy. Your premise of Mastery being Zomg broken is based on a line of plays that is already stressing the limits of tempo. Adding a two mana, turn three tempo card isn't going to make that Line of play any better. Turn 1 delver, turn 2 flip and <Bolt/Daze/Fow/Stifle/Pierce> is more than enough to win games right now. Wasting Brainstorm to setup a Miracle is an abysmal use of the cant rip rather than using it to fix your draws and improve hand quality.

Legacy decks are attempting to streamline decks for consistency rather than cute tricks. Mastery is of the latter while at the same time reducing consistency (induce more mulligans). I don't agree with the premise that Temporal Mastery is the next coming of Hulk Flash.
    Mastery does not induce more mulligans. As I said in the article, there wasn't a single game where I was upset to draw a Temporal mastery, and every time I pitched one to Force, it was reluctant.

Moreover, Temporal Mastery is a natural fit into the deck you described. It's a smooth and natural addition, according to my testing, which I describe in this article. If you run Lightning Bolt, which at least two of my Delver/Mastery decks do, Temporal Mastery is just better: it's a blue Lightning Bolt that cantrips and helps you do more Stifling, Spell Snare/Daze/Piercing, Bolting, etc. It also helps you get another land drop to use Snapcaster Mage, etc.

In other words, it fits with all the cards you cite, and supports them very well.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Demands for decklist/data in 3...2...1...
    Why do you think I wrote this article? :p

Aug 2011
    Italy

I don't want to be cruel but "financial gain and market manipulation" are the words which come to my mind. I listened to the set review podcast and you sounded to be skeptical about the card and halfway through changed your stance and started saying "yeah, I agree it's going to be very good..". I don't intend to claim that the card is bad but just that I don't find your claims honest and sincere.

Thread Information