Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Chain Combo

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Re: Food Chain Combo

My version of it is (almost) monoU chalice-based, it could be adapted quite easily to the recruiter/image combo, but I think I still prefer digging creatures because they can find a lot of things (including the SB) besides the kill.

Mana 20
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Island
    4 Tropical Island
    1 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

Combo 15
    4 Show and Tell
    3 Emrakul
    4 Food Chain
    4 Misthollow Griffin

Control 12
    4 Force of Will
    4 Misdirection
    4 Chalice of the Void

Draw/Lib manip 13
    4 Sea Gate Oracle
    4 Raven Familiar
    4 Mulldrifter
    1 Griselbrand

Also I've read that Maga was better than Emrakul, I'd like to read why, because it looks really worse (counterable, stifleable, discardable, not SnTable, needs to target, 20+ manas to kill). I know it convenient you don't need an attack phase to win, but still... (please note also that with Griselbrand and 3*Emrakul, you still have an theoretical infinite-life kill)

Mar 2012
    Iowa City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    Also I've read that Maga was better than Emrakul, I'd like to read why, because it looks really worse (counterable, stifleable, discardable, not SnTable, needs to target, 20+ manas to kill). I know it convenient you don't need an attack phase to win, but still... (please note also that with Griselbrand and 3*Emrakul, you still have an theoretical infinite-life kill)
    I've heard that, as well, but don't see Maga being better than Emrakul either. The only reason that comes to mind would be if your opponent has something that prevents you from attacking, like Peacekeeper or Ensnaring Bridge; some instant speed non-colored spell answer; or your opponent has gained an absurd amount of life (and is able to recover from the annihilator). Aside from that, Emrakul just seems much better. It seems like you're far more likely to run into counterspells and Leyline of Sanctity before any of these bizarre situations would occur.

Court Hussar seems better than Sea Gate Oracle.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    Court Hussar seems better than Sea Gate Oracle.
    Not in my non-W list I think.

About Maga vs. Emrakul and cards preventing from attacking, they simply don't exist MD. Post-SB, you'll want to enter some bounce-creature anyway (I'm still not sure that the evoke guy is better than Venser, Shaper Savant or Riftwing Cloudstake).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick78f
    Maybe I'm not getting it, but how do you have an infinite life kill with the deck you listed?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Maybe I'm not getting it, but how do you have an infinite life kill with the deck you listed?
    I assume he's talking about repeatedly playing Emrakuls so the Legend rule triggers. When they both get shuffled back in the Library - with Griselbrand in play - you continue to earn extra turns and repeated attack steps without decking risk.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by TorpidNinja View Post
    I assume he's talking about repeatedly playing Emrakuls so the Legend rule triggers. When they both get shuffled back in the Library - with Griselbrand in play - you continue to earn extra turns and repeated attack steps without decking risk.
    Except Food Chain exiles the creature, so you can't get those Emrakuls back.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Except Food Chain exiles the creature, so you can't get those Emrakuls back.
    You don't exile them. You get infinite mana, play them normally, and two in play means both go to GY.

Here's a possible G/R/u list:

2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Tropical Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Volcanic
    1 Mountain
    4 Forest
    3 Island

4 Food Chain
    4 Misthollow Griffin

4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Multani's Acolyte
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Wistful Selkie
    4 Llanowar Elves
    2 Raven Familiar
    2 Mulldrifter
    2 Souls of the Harvest

1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals

SB:

4 Relic of Progenitus
    4 Ingot Chewer
    4 Gaea's Herald
    3 meta slot (creature preferred)

I know it would need improvementas a Gur list, but seems to be a solid theoretical list. It main weakness is that it lacks counterspells, which would probably be remedied by adding some number of Mystic Snake and Draining Whelk.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by TorpidNinja View Post
    You don't exile them. You get infinite mana, play them normally, and two in play means both go to GY.
    Oh now that makes sense. This is why I asked
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Mar 2012
    Iowa City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    Not in my non-W list I think.

About Maga vs. Emrakul and cards preventing from attacking, they simply don't exist MD. Post-SB, you'll want to enter some bounce-creature anyway (I'm still not sure that the evoke guy is better than Venser, Shaper Savant or Riftwing Cloudstake).
    My preference is towards Court Hussar, even in decks that have no white source of mana because you can stack the triggers in such a way that you can look at the top three cards, choose a card, place the other two cards on the bottom of the library, and then respond to the sacrifice effect by exiling it to Food Chain. I can imagine situations in which you would prefer having the Sea Gate Oracle, but digging one card deeper seems worthwhile, and if it were not, I'd rather just play another Mulldrifter in lieu of the Sea Gate Oracle anyways.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Skogre View Post
    My preference is towards Court Hussar, even in decks that have no white source of mana because you can stack the triggers in such a way that you can look at the top three cards, choose a card, place the other two cards on the bottom of the library, and then respond to the sacrifice effect by exiling it to Food Chain.
    Choosing the mana colour has never been an issue at all since all my creatures are U (besides Grisel, but anyway, when I have 8 manas, I can afford to have UUUUBBBB blindly too).

I can imagine situations in which you would prefer having the Sea Gate Oracle, but digging one card deeper seems worthwhile, and if it were not, I'd rather just play another Mulldrifter in lieu of the Sea Gate Oracle anyways.
    I don't know exactly what you mean, since I already play 4 Mulldrifters (so playing a 5th one seems too many to my knowledge of the magic rules). In a combo deck, I think that the most important is to optimise what happens before the combo. Once I've got the food chain in play, I consider I should win as soon as I have 3 manas to start playing creatures. A good way to achieve in the same turn is to keep a 3CC creature on the board before playing Food Chain the griffins. For the moment, I still think it's more important than digging 1 card deeper.

It seems like using the Griffin turns things into a 3 card combo - Food Chain+Griffin+win card, when you can generate infinite mana (and attackers) using Food Chain+Imperial Recruiter ->... Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker+Pestermite.

Barring some other really clever tech, I can't see Griffin/Chain working well.

Hello guys! I entered here to suggest Paradigm Shift. It works like a tutor for the Griffin, and could probably be also combined with Lab Maniac

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It seems like using the Griffin turns things into a 3 card combo - Food Chain+Griffin+win card, when you can generate infinite mana (and attackers) using Food Chain+Imperial Recruiter ->... Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker+Pestermite.

Barring some other really clever tech, I can't see Griffin/Chain working well.
    The problem with the kiki-pestermite kill is that it loses to any creature removal and it does not work with show and tell (and thus, it loses to enchantment removal too). Nevertheless, we can imagine using the recruiter/image mana ramp to get to play Emrakul though, but it also fizzles to creature removal (kill recruiter in response of the first image), meaning that it must be supported by other creatures.

Could Furious Assault work? I mean, it's a way to get bthem down form 20 to 0 fairly quickly. I'll see if I can't get a list going.

So i have been thinking on this for a while what about a list like this?

4 Food Chain
    3 Misthollow Griffin
    4 Noble Hirarch
    4 Elvish Visionary
    3 Court Hussar
    2 Mulldrifter

4 Brainstorm
    3 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Ponder

3 Emerakul
    1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals

3 Show and tell

2 Island
    1 forest

3 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Tropical Islands
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn

Its sort of a Hive mind shell with food chain combo in it. The only slots i am unsure about would be the mulldrifter's i am not sure i like them Maybe a couple of intuitions would be better. Any comments and criticism on the build is more then welcome.
    Last edited by Moondancerbb; 05-19-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Food chain cant cast banefire!

why the banefire?

Was thinking an alternate win especially if you ran with intuitions which my initial build had since your emerkal's could get surgical extracted.

Doesn't Food Chain restrict the mana gained from it to use on Creature spells only? Banefire would hit for very little in this deck.

Thread Information