Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Combo (silly back up deck for an up coming tournament)

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Wall Combo (silly back up deck for an up coming tournament)

So i'm playing in an upcoming split format cash tournament. The first 4 rounds are Standard and the second 4 are legacy. With a bit of both for top 8.

I'll be playing something serious for the legacy portion if i'm still in contention, however if i'm already out i'm going to play some form of Wall Combo.

What the hell is Wall combo? well i have a casual multiplayer deck that this is based on and it's almost completely foiled (at least the wall parts are).
    This deck isn't good by any stretch of the imagination it is essentially just a bad elf deck that can shrug off pyroclasm and Eplague, and can at least hold off on quick beatdowns pretty effectively.

Just cause i'm not in contention doesn't mean that i don't want to smash people with the very best version of my terrible deck.
    So i'm looking for any help and suggestions people have for me to help improve this.

Here is my list as it stands now:

4 Overgrown Battlement
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Wall of Omens
    4 Wall of Roots
    4 Wall of Shards
    3 Sunscape Familiar
    2 Carven Caryatid (not actually a wall =/ )
    2 Wall of Mulch
    2 Emerakul the aeons torn
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Soul of the Harvest

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Creeping Renaissance
    2 Crop Rotation

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Savannah
    4 Windsweapt heath
    1 Other green fetch
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Karakas
    2 Gaea's Cradle
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor

SB (need some work here)
    1 Quasali pridemage
    2 krosan grip (counter top is not your friend)
    3 Carpet of flowers
    2 Wave of reckoning (mainly for maverick and swarm aggro like goblins, (not that i think that will be a rough match), i don't own any moats, also this card is hilarious with this theme)
    2 Relic of progenitis
    2 Tormods Crypt
    1 Gadock Teeg
    2 Nevermore

Wondering if i should play Lotus Petals or ESG's so that i can play one of my infinite 2 drops on turn 1. Maybe Crop rotations and a land can be cut for those. I'd rather have a permanent source but chrome mox doesn't seem much better than petals, maybe it is. If i cut rotations then i can up the fetch count a bit so wasteland doesn't hit me so hard (though rotations help there), and wastes aren't really that big a deal vs this deck.

As far as boarding goes.

I'm thinking my worst match ups are probably going to be UW stone blade type decks. I don't really know if there is an effective way to have a shot in this matchup, carpet of flowers certainly helps. I was thinking Lightning Greaves or some sort of protection for my battlements, but terminus just tools this whole strategy sooo hard. Nevermore on terminus is sort of a plan but i don't know if it's worth it.

Also pure combo like tide and ANT would be really rough as well obviously.

I was also thinking of squeezing in a Natural Order package to the board, but it takes up a lot of slots and i don't have very effective ways of pitching Progenitus if he gets in my hand. Also i'm not sure if it would actually help any match ups.

Re: Wall Combo (silly back up deck for an up coming tournament)

Shouldn't you be playing genesis wave to barf your deck onto the field after you set up your first few walls?

Having an untap effect like Quirion Ranger might also prove to be invaluable with your Battlement. It's also a great GSZ target.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Those are both good ideas, though i think i would want scryb ranger over quirion.

I'm actually thinking Chord of calling is probably better than genesis wave, just for the versatility, it's actually not that hard to chord for 15 here.

If you add Fierce Empath and use a Genesis wave kind of build you can probably guarantee that you find him by the next turn. If you've got the untap effects in your deck you are probably going to hit one of them and at that point you should be able to almost hardcast him off the walls.

Maybe the wave is just win more, but I see it as far stronger before you get to combo turn because it will massively develop your board position if cast for 8-9, which seems plausible in this deck. It has the added bonus of shuffling your GY into your library if you hit "Em" and didn't pay 15 mana.

Convoke is definitely nice, perhaps the best option is to use Waves to develop your board with the option of Chord to get him out and win.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Not sure if Empath and one Emerakul is better than just 2 emerakuls with the amount of show and tell in the format, also i don't generally like tutoring for tutors, though i guess it makes sense here. I"ll try it out, not sure how much time i have for real testing.

The main reason I was suggesting empath is because then you can have other relevant targets for him other than just "Em". Something like a terastodon comes to mind to bash through problematic cards. Genesis wave also isn't really a tutor, but rather an LOL spilled my deck onto the board, lets keep playing.

LOL.
    I have a wall deck kinda similar - only I run a few different options.
    Rage Nimbus & Vent Sentinel.
    Like your's, it's a silly deck using up cards I'd otherwise not use, but I also run some [c]Death Denied[/c] together with rainbow land to get back stuff after a sweep.

Dude, first of all, no. No no no no no.
    Emralkul? Who told you to run that crap? No one runs that crap.

You want to know how to run walls? Doran. BGW. Drop all your Wall of Blossoms and Omens and shit. And then, you know what, Rolling Stones. Yeah. Rolling Stones your opponent out because your 0/4 Cantrip-wall is now a f-ing BRICK HOUSE.

And you know what else, Caryatid doesn't work here. It's not a wall and Rolling Stones ONLY WORKS FOR WALLS. Do your research, I can't bear to watch this trainwreck anymore.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Dude, first of all, no. No no no no no.
    Emralkul? Who told you to run that crap? No one runs that crap.

You want to know how to run walls? Doran. BGW. Drop all your Wall of Blossoms and Omens and shit. And then, you know what, Rolling Stones. Yeah. Rolling Stones your opponent out because your 0/4 Cantrip-wall is now a f-ing BRICK HOUSE.

And you know what else, Caryatid doesn't work here. It's not a wall and Rolling Stones ONLY WORKS FOR WALLS. Do your research, I can't bear to watch this trainwreck anymore.
    LOL, hands down the best post in this thread, even funnier than the deck. Well done sir.

@Slave
    Holy crap vent sentinel is a beating, don't think it fits in here, but for sure i'm going to add them to the multiplayer version.
    You might want to try the creeping renaissance over the death denied in your build, it will be way cheaper on the mana most of the time. Super combos with wall of mulch.

Jan 2011
    Austria

I play a pretty similar deck for Tribal Wars.

Primal Surge is the real deal. For the kill I use Vent Sentinel.

It should be clear that i don't use any non permanent cards besides Surge. Turn 4 kills are not too uncommon. And it stalls like a Beast^^

Quote Originally Posted by Climax View Post
    I play a pretty similar deck for Tribal Wars.

Primal Surge is the real deal. For the kill I use Vent Sentinel.

It should be clear that i don't use any non permanent cards besides Surge. Turn 4 kills are not too uncommon. And it stalls like a Beast^^
    Would you mind posting your decklist?

Jan 2011
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by civet five View Post
    Would you mind posting your decklist?
    Yeah sure:

4 Wall of Omens
    4 Wall of Mulch
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Wall of Roots
    4 Overgrown Battlement
    4 Wall of Shards
    4 Primal Surge
    4 Vent Sentinel
    4 Vine Trellis
    3 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    4 Tinder Wall
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Taiga
    2 Savannah
    3 Cavern of Souls

Guess i meant turn 4 Primal Surge. Althought Turn 4 kills are possible. With Emrakul instead of Sentinels you can speed it up to a "virtual" turn 4 kill.

Sometimes I want to cut one Surge for the 4 Cavern. Still not sure about it.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

That's a pretty cool list! I think you for sure could go down to 3 surges, as the more you have the less consistently they go off.

I'm super surprised you don't have Sunscape Familiars in there, they give you way more mana than Trellis does on average. I wonder if you could incorporate either Lightning Grieves or Concordant Crossroads or something so that you could kill right away.

Jan 2011
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    That's a pretty cool list! I think you for sure could go down to 3 surges, as the more you have the less consistently they go off.

I'm super surprised you don't have Sunscape Familiars in there, they give you way more mana than Trellis does on average. I wonder if you could incorporate either Lightning Grieves or Concordant Crossroads or something so that you could kill right away.
    Yeah. Think I've overlooked the Familiars when building the deck. Crossroads would be pretty nice too. So Trellis should be Familiars.

Will try some Crossroads in the future.

Thx for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Climax View Post
    Yeah sure:

4 Wall of Omens
    4 Wall of Mulch
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Wall of Roots
    4 Overgrown Battlement
    4 Wall of Shards
    4 Primal Surge
    4 Vent Sentinel
    4 Vine Trellis
    3 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    4 Tinder Wall
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Taiga
    2 Savannah
    3 Cavern of Souls

Guess i meant turn 4 Primal Surge. Althought Turn 4 kills are possible. With Emrakul instead of Sentinels you can speed it up to a "virtual" turn 4 kill.

Sometimes I want to cut one Surge for the 4 Cavern. Still not sure about it.
    Thanks. I'm going to sleeve this up and screw around. I'm inclined to mess around with the Wall of Shards and Vine Trellis count in order to squeeze in some Sunscape Familiars.

Also, major lolz that the price of the deck is entirely in the fancy lands. Everything else is like $5 total:)

Jan 2011
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by civet five View Post
    Also, major lolz that the price of the deck is entirely in the fancy lands. Everything else is like $5 total:)
    It is possible to take lands like Copperline Gorge or even use Painlands without hurting the deck too much.

Jun 2010
    Kenosha, Wisconsin

One eye of ugin would be worth it if you keep crop rotations. One fierce empath would also be worth it if you run green sun's zenith.

Apr 2008
    Lincoln Ill

Funny seeing this thread as I have actually witnessed emidln lose a game to walls+rolling stones dot deck in sanctioned legacy tournament while playing Doomsday. To top it off he later that day lost a vintage game to the same opponent by casting brainstorm post doomsday. And his opponent responding with.. Opertunity. Stories like this are such a big part of what makes magic great.

I feel like the fact that you run both green sun and a ton of mana ramp means you should run at least 1 Progenitus, since you can green sun for him. just an Idea.

I agree with spooky. Progenitus would turn late game Zeniths into threats.

Thread Information