4 Pyroblast
    1 Anarchy
    1 Gamble
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Banefire
    1 Pyroclasm

I went 3-3 drop today at SCG Providence with this build. The deck mulls well. I crushed URx delver decks and my losses were due to my own play mistakes and punting like a pro kicker... Help me improve this deck. Gamble is awesome in this deck.

Also, I had zero real playtesting this deck, just a some goldfishing and some ghost playing situational scenarios.
    Last edited by rxavage; 05-22-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: Firestorm

Would Pyromancer's Ascension help? Maybe pair it up with Burning Inquiry since you're already running Past in Flames

Also, I would suggest Dangerous Wager.

And since you are running Reforge the Soul, ever consider Ignite Memories as your win-condition? I'm not sure if it would be effective it sounds legit.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Would Pyromancer's Ascension help? Maybe pair it up with Burning Inquiry since you're already running Past in Flames

Also, I would suggest Dangerous Wager.

And since you are running Reforge the Soul, ever consider Ignite Memories as your win-condition? I'm not sure if it would be effective it sounds legit.

I've actually considered ignite memories but was talked out of it. My reasoning was for the showtell decks that are gaining momentum, but they can potentially force a copy pitching progenitus to better their chances.

And I'm not sure where to fit dangerous scenario in. It seems like a good fit and but looting does serious work. I wish they'd make a functional manamorphose reprint.

I think I may add a reb to the sb, the blasts were nice and 5 wont hurt. Another wish is for red to have some more disruption.

It just seems better straight up running 3xEmpty the Warrens MD

Jul 2008
    Netherlands

In the sideboard: I count a total of 5 game winners. Just seems like overkill to me. I can understand running 2, maybe 3. What was your experience with running 0 protection, is flashback enough to get you back into the game when important things get countered? I agree that Faithless Looting is the best drawing spell, I don't really like dangerous wager or burning inquiry.

Why you run 1 gamble in the sideboard? I can't imagine you use wish to grab gamble to grab something main deck that wish couldn't grab from sideboard. I would just run 4 gamble MD.

Anyway, cool deck! Ill test it for sure!

In the U/R PiF decks I also really liked the Brainfreeze yourself play, but I don't know how red compromises for this, of course you have the effects from gamble and looting tho.

For the main deck:
    I would consider running Simian Spirit Guide over Chrome mox, both get you 1 red in the turn where you need it tho Chrome mox adds storm and can give mana multiple turns but it costs you 2 cards. I think thats worth considering.

For the sideboard:
    I would DEFINITELY run blood moon. Messes with blue decks, big time.

Im going to test the following:
    Lands: 16
    16 Mountain (not sure about the number yet)

Rituals: 20
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Pyretic Ritual
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Draw & Business (not sure about the number of wish/reforge/PiF): 16
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gamble
    2 Reforge the Soul
    1 Past in Flames
    4 Faithless Looting
    1 Empty the Warrens/Grapeshot

Artifacts: 8
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

Sideboard: 15
    4 blood moon
    4 pyroblast
    1 past in flames
    1 reforge the soul
    1 grapeshot
    1 empty the warrens
    1 banefire
    1 shattering spree
    1 pyroclasm
    Had to make some room, don't know about the list yet but Ill start testing it and tell you how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    It just seems better straight up running 3xEmpty the Warrens MD
    But then the deck becomes BulletStorm (with Goblins as Bullets).

As an aside, however, I definitely agree with at least one Empty as an alt wincon against cards such as Solitary Confinement.

I think you have to play with Manamorphose if you want to consitently win with Tendrils of Agony post-board, it also lets you play 4 Reforge the Soul MD and a Diminishing Returns in the SB for the same effect so you can effectively maximize your Miracle triggers.

I'm really at a loss at how you're beating U.dec, if you're not playing 3xETW in the MD they don't have to counter your acceleration at all.

Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I think you have to play with Manamorphose if you want to consitently win with Tendrils of Agony post-board, it also lets you play 4 Reforge the Soul MD and a Diminishing Returns in the SB for the same effect so you can effectively maximize your Miracle triggers.

I'm really at a loss at how you're beating U.dec, if you're not playing 3xETW in the MD they don't have to counter your acceleration at all.
    you could also completely cut burning wish and LED and up the count of both your business and you win-cons, but I am not sure if that improves anything. Would have to test that

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

I have been considering replacing the chrome mox with ssg, they rarely help in actual play. Mox Diamond is a better fit anyways. 16 mountains imo is too many and unnecessary, I'm going back to 13 which was perfect for me in testing. 3 reforge and 2 pif main seemed to work best. I like blood moon for the side, I didn't even think of it.

Jul 2008
    Netherlands

After some test games, I'm going to cut chrome mox for SSG. Also I am going to test a build without LED and Wish, in my limited testing I found out that often the 2 'extra' mana from wish was just too much. This is mainly due to the fact that because we are mono red all of our rituals usually only ramp up 1 mana. I will up the count of Reforge's, up the count of grapeshot's, move EtW to the sideboard. Mixed results with gamble also, but I think that just warrants more testing.

Anyway, could you tell us a bit more about the match ups at SCG and maybe even a small report?

Oh and btw, Blood Moon from the sb is just the nuts lol

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

3 Reforge the Soul
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Gamble
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Pyretic Ritual
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Seething song
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Mox Diamond
    14 Mountains

1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the warrens
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Shattering Spree
    4 Pyroblast
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Reforge the Soul
    3 Blood Moon
    1 Banefire
    1 Pyroclasm

I changed the main back to how it was originally configured before the scg with the only changes being -2 chrome mox, +1 mox diamond and +1 mountain. I too have had mixed results with gamble, it is amazing with a grip of rituals and either rts or pif in hand and gambling for the missing component. I will always drop my LEDs before gambling, I don't know if it's always correct. Also gamble is good in the situation where its your last card in hand and just gambling for pif and flashing it back.

Have you considered color splashes rather than running Blood Moon?

With black, you get Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual better mana sources than the second tier red stuff. Then you could also run Ill-Gotten Gains (or if you're insane Sins of the Past) for synergy with LEDs and gamble and looting.

Blue would give you stuff like Intution,Brainstorm,Portent and Brain Freeze (which you can use on yourself to set up a PiF pile.)

A super-zany (i.e. terrible) approach would be to play looting cards with Library of Leng.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Yes I've considered the splashes and currently working on a few various builds. I wanted to see how viable a mono R storm build would be. Personally, I think this deck has the potential to be better than charbelcher. A U/R/B build would probably be better and could run thoughtseize if not running ad naseum. IGG would be nice to have as well.

I'll write a small report but I doubt it will be helpful. Sunday was a hectic day for me, a culmination of disastrous events and I was extremely stressed and anxious.

Gitaxian Probe and Thoughtseize with Therapy is all the protection a deck could ask for. Add that to more or less what you are currently running and I think it will work out quite well.

Something like this...

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy

4 Faithless Looting
    3 Reforge the Soul

1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames

As core, at least. No need to splash blue at all. Probe is excellent in every way, regardless: it's invisible, provides great information against most decks, and costs zero mana.

Will probably require a lot of testing to see what else should be included. Off the top of my head, some things potentially worth including: Infernal Tutor, other MD win-conditions, and Burning Wish with a SB toolbox.

Since you're such a damage-based Storm deck anyways, would running Lightning Bolt make sense? If you play it on your winning turn, it's essentially one mana for 4 damage (3 damage, +1 storm) to the opponent. More importantly though, it takes a bit of the pressure off of having to kill the opponent in one turn, and it's pretty obscene with Past in Flames. Plus it helps against shit like Gaddock Teeg.
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Does playing Pyromancer's Swath make sense for this deck while playing all 4 Grapeshot? The deck can easily recover from no hand via Reforge the Soul and Past in Flames.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

RD1
    Game1
    Op: mountain, figure, go
    Me: mountain, go
    Op: attack with figure, drop another figure, go
    Me: ritual into pif, flashback rituals, ETW for 22 goblins
    Op: draw, scoop
    Game2
    Mull to 5 on the draw keeping a no land hand with reforge,led,rite,pyretic,seething
    Op: mountain, relic of progenitus, go
    Me: draw, go
    Op: mountain, fod, go
    Me: draw, go
    Op: aatack with fod, pump fod, play another fod
    Me: draw, mountain, go
    Op: play goblin guide, attack with crew(I get mountain from guide), mounatian, fireblast.
    Me: mountain, point out his relic is useless now that he tapped out, ritual/reforge/pif/wishgrapeshot for 16

RD2
    Game1
    Op: trop, gszarbor, go
    Op: tundra, brainstorm, attack with arbor, go
    Me: mountain, try to start and get fow’d, go
    Op: land, go
    Me: cliqued end of draw burying my business and get nothing, pass
    Op: showtell progenitus, go
    Me: draw wish, go
    Op: attack with crew, pass
    Me: try to start and get pierced, scoop
    Game2
    Was a fuckshow. Judge makes bad call cost me game.

RD3
    Game1
    Op: plains, top, go
    Op: tomb, go
    Me: op jokes about ritualing into dragonstorm, I say FU and ritual into 26 gobs
    Game2
    Op: seat of synod, top go
    Me: land, go
    Op: tundra, counterbalance, go
    Me: take a few turns to find an out, scoop after a few countered starts
    Game3
    Op: gets painter/stone online second turn game over my turn 3 draw

RD4
    Game1
    Go off turn 2
    Game2
    Same as first except I pyroblast his fow

RD5
    Very similar to previous round except I have more pyroblasts and play it very well game2

RD6
    Coincidentally at same table as rd2 and I’m telling a friend about the judge and my opponent
    Walks up and overhears convo, says he had same judge make bad call along with another player
    With a similar complaint. Obviously I was put and rug player mulls accordly. I misplay in game 2
    After overcoming some counters costing me the game. I drop so I can go visit my mom.

Mom only had to have double bypass and is out of surgery now and still unconscious but ok.

I've thought about the bolts and such too. I have no experience with swath but It seems like something to try out. The deck is pretty resilient if you don't over spend on rituals/led's or get unlucky with draws.

How does this deck fare against, say, Canadian? I can't imagine giving them a fresh hand of counterspells off of Reforge the Soul will end well for you, but then you do have a lot of "must counter" spells if their goal is to break the storm chain.

As for Empty over a Grapeshot, meh. I imagine it's not difficult to double Grapeshot someone during the storm chain and Empty the Warrens doesn't seem like that much of an improvement. You're still dead to Solitary Confinement either way, but Empty doesn't stack up favorably against Maelstrom Pulse, EE, Moat, Jitte, and so on.

I agree with DukeDemon that Bolt belongs here. Thalia, Teeg, and Canonist seem like problems for you, and there's no reason to be the combo deck that's dead to a fair deck if you can help it.

EDIT: Actually, one thing that occured to me in favor of Empty is the fact that Reforge should have a much higher fizzle rate than Ad Noz. You see fewer cards per draw spell and also give the opponent a fresh hand. I imagine it's not uncommon to get to 8-9 storm, cast a second Reforge, and have it countered with the opponent still at 10+ life. Alternately, you can cast the second Reforge, but they Spell Pierce it and you don't have enough mana floating to continue going off after you draw again, meaning you've effectively wasted all that storm and given your opponent a fresh hand of hate. In cases like this, it seems useful to be able to fall back on Empty and try to beat down with 8-12 Goblins or so; if or when you go off again, your required storm count will hopefully be lower because of the damage your dudes inflicted.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

double post over an hour apart?
    Last edited by rxavage; 05-07-2012 at 11:16 PM.

After some testing, a few more solid thoughts on the deck...

What makes the list good is Gamble into Past in Flames. If you can get to seven mana with Gamble in hand you are essentially guaranteed victory, discounting any sitting hats bears or counters. You can even LED in response to Gamble and win anyways. Gamble fetches Past and then fetches your win condition or Burning Wish.

I have actually found Reforge the Soul to be one of the weaker cards in the deck, especially when coupled with discard. It IS great in a goldfish situation, but not in any case where your opponent has counterspells.

In addition, I have found Dangerous Wager to be very good in virtually all cases. What I am running now is the following list...

Firestorm
    4 Gamble
    1 Past In Flames
    2 Burning Wish
    1 Empty The Warrens

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Dangerous Wager

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite Of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    3 Badlands
    2 Mountain
    2 Swamp
    1 Volcanic Island

The sideboard is kind of up in the air for the moment, but is very similar to a current TES SB with Reforge The Soul stuck in it. This is why the list contains the singleton Volcanic Island.

I think you should test the deck like this. It is very consistent, and does better against lists running Force and Daze.

Thread Information