Thread: Have you ever been affected by the "world rule" in competitve play?

Nov 2010
    Japan

Have you ever been affected by the "world rule" in competitve play?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Comprehensive Rules
    (704.5m) If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except the one that has been a
    permanent with the world supertype on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time are put
    into their owners’ graveyards. In the event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put
    into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “world rule.”
    I was at a Legacy Tournament a little while ago and this occurred in one of my matches. I cast Show and Tell; I put Emrakul into play, and my opponent puts The Abyss in play. He untaps, and he casts Nether Void. He thought I was lying to him when I told him that The Abyss is put into his graveyard. I was proven correct and subsequently annihilated him out of the game.

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

Re: Have you ever been affected by the "world rule" in competitve play?

This will date me severely. But a common practice circa 1994-95 to get out from under a Nether Void / The Abyss was to play Field of Dreams, at the time it was the cheapest spell to blow those things up (Storm World was red and possibly bad for you). I've been worlded a hundred times and worlded the other guy a few times (mostly my Nether Void crushing his Abyss so I could cast a Black Knight / Juzam / Hypnotic Specter). Around that same time Concordant Crossroads and In the Eye of Chaos also saw some play.

Thread Information