Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying in to Vintage

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Re: Buying in to Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by bilb_o View Post
    I'll read those, always interested in learning more.

I'd say the majority of that ignorance comes from the lack of mediums to play, learn, discuss, read about Vintage as opposed to the more popular formats like Legacy. When I browse to TMD most threads are dead for months. Unless you have a close Vintage play group you don't get much exposure to in-depth strategy.

A Vintage subforum here would be very nice to have imo, because we have a very active members group, quite a number of Vintage players and we already have Modern, EDH subforums so... :)
    Understandably so and I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Also, no one actually enjoys playtesting vs Dredge. That in part, leads to poor performance of hating it out effectively.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    If you want to play hatebears, it will just feel like you're playing a legacy deck against awesome vintage decks which feels unfair. Vintage is pretty cheap compared to what I'm playing in legacy.
    Eh. Playing hate bears is fun because you make the other guy fucking miserable. Having a shops player who is used to making every blue player miserable just shake his head and scoop up his cards in the face of Kataki, Thalia and some exalted guys after having his 2nd workshop ghost quartered is some fun. Advocating "playing" dredge but not hate bears it pretty absurd. Vintage Dredge is an exercise in masturbation and mulliganing ... just like legacy dredge.

I played 4 pieces of power in my Dark Hate Bear deck despite often wanting to land Stony Silence. You can also beta out the Savannah's and easily spend more than unlimited moxes.

Got my first Bazaar yesterday and picking up two more next weekend. On my way :)

Thanks for the help everyone. There was some great advice here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    Got my first Bazaar yesterday and picking up two more next weekend. On my way :)

Thanks for the help everyone. There was some great advice here.
    Good luck, and some tips with Vintage Dredge -
    - Assume your graveyard will not exist in G2/G3. Either play enough hate to counter it, and possibly board into more lands (2 extra Gemstone Mines perhaps).
    - Firestorm is a good out to Yixlid jailer, which is showing up more often.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

May 2011
    New Zealand

Question: How hard would it be to trade up into power?

I have a handful of duals, a set of goyfs, some high-end foils (StP, tangle wire, some others), and I can probably trade away my foiled TES (Still have esper-blade and high tide), which is pretty much all english foiled, with FBB german duals.

Would those trade fairly easily into power, and without having excess trade-up percentages? (i.e. standard into dual margins)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Basaka View Post
    Question: How hard would it be to trade up into power?
    Quote Originally Posted by csy View Post
    this is how I started getting into vintage.

One buzz lead to another and I was selling all my standard/modern staples that I didnt need for legacy and putting a little cash down on a Mox Emerald and a Time Twister.

boom, bug acquired. So now Im almost there with a trade for a few more pieces and I've picked up drains/libraries etc along the way. Love this damn format its so good.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

May 2011
    New Zealand

@Koby:

Well, I don't exactly live in a country with that many pieces of power floating around. Only one store has some in stock, and they trade at SCG buylist prices, so that's off.
    The only player I really see with spare power ALSO sells his cards at SCG prices.

I'm left with MOTL, pretty much lol

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Basaka View Post
    @Koby:

Well, I don't exactly live in a country with that many pieces of power floating around. Only one store has some in stock, and they trade at SCG buylist prices, so that's off.
    The only player I really see with spare power ALSO sells his cards at SCG prices.

I'm left with MOTL, pretty much lol
    Ya MOTL is definitely the slow process if you're without a lot of liquid funds. There are a few sellers there that trade power, but it's hit/miss with what they are looking to get in credit.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Good luck, and some tips with Vintage Dredge -
    - Assume your graveyard will not exist in G2/G3. Either play enough hate to counter it, and possibly board into more lands (2 extra Gemstone Mines perhaps).
    - Firestorm is a good out to Yixlid jailer, which is showing up more often.
    Play something built by Elias or one of the Gans brothers.

G2/3 If you don't see Leyline turn 0 It's probably safe to assume the hand was kept with other hate(Cage/Jailer) or a quick Tinker/Oath/combo. Blind Sniping with Therapy is crucial. Unmask is good right now.

MUD will almost always have Cage/Crypt/Relic. Other decks will vary their hate.

Dismember or Contagion(Hits multiple Jailers) might be better with Misstep around.

Chewer and Wispmare dodges Misstep/Pierce/Fluster/Duress/Thorn Of Am/Chalice and can sometimes get you bridge tokens(Rarely can DReturn for their come into play effect)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Thanks for the help guys. AT GP:Minneapolis, I managed to finish my Bazaars. I then spent a few hours goldfishing Dredge in the hotel room :)

Thanks!

Couldn't pass up on the Candelabras. They're not for Dredge though. They're beat, but they were cheap :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Thread Information