Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Cheap Cascade Dude

Re: New Cheap Cascade Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    I knew it would be UG instead of UB, but being 3cc was new to me. In that case, nobody is going to play it in Legacy; while it might be powerful when it cascades into a 2cc card, it's going to be next to useless when it doesn't. And you don't want a 3 mana card that's good only half of the time.
    Who cares about 2 drops? GSZ is probably more important than this would be in fair GU decks. This would let you play 8 3CC cascade cards that pitch to Force of Will and reduces the number of colors needed for 8 Cascade spells from 4 to 3. Hypergenesis now has much better mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Until I can play storm perfectly, I have not played it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kibler
    Funny enough I was 18 once too. It was sweet, but being me now is way sweeter.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    Who cares about 2 drops? GSZ is probably more important than this would be in fair GU decks. This would let you play 8 3CC cascade cards that pitch to Force of Will and reduces the number of colors needed for 8 Cascade spells from 4 to 3. Hypergenesis now has much better mana.
    If it were a 2-drop, I think it would've found a home in fair decks. Remember last year about this time there was a blue zoo running bloodbraid to cascade into Ancestral Visions. A 2-Mana dude would be pretty solid in a deck looking to abuse Visions. You could minimize the 1 drops to Brainstorm and Top, neither a bad thing to cascade into. But 3 Mana is useless for a fair deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

lol come on. thats not how Cascade works. obv a 2-drop is strictly better in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    lol come on. thats not how Cascade works. obv a 2-drop is strictly better in that.
    OP: New guy sucks. This 3 drop will only be good when hits a 2 drop, unexciting otherwise.

Me: Why hit 2 drops when you can hit 0?

You: Lol you know nothing, if this guy cost 2 it would be better.

Read from start of chain please.

Also, FWIW, I thought about that and besides the fact that you could then turn 2 without a Spirit Guide this guy is pretty much the same as he would be at UB, mostly because you would still play Plea for redundancy and still cut all cards with CMC less than 3.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

So sad it's 3cc. Would have been playable for sure at 2.

I don't think color screw was ever the problem which made Hypergenesis not competitive. I guess we will see people trying this out, but I doubt it will see any serious play.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    I don't think color screw was ever the problem which made Hypergenesis not competitive. I guess we will see people trying this out, but I doubt it will see any serious play.
    The difference between 3C and 4C is a fetch-dual-basic mana base that can dodge Wasteland vs. a Rainbow land one that can't.

The difference between 3C and 4C is a fetch-dual-basic mana base that can dodge Wasteland vs. a Rainbow land one that can't.
    I think what he was arguing is that it's not the manabase that makes Hypergenesis bad, but the whole, "You're running a SnT deck but worse" thing. The deck may have perfect mana but still be a relatively inflexible one-trick pony.

It's sort of like how, back in the day, people would look at expensive artifacts/white cards in new set spoilers and say, "This would be great in Stax!" The problem was that, regardless of the cards' actual merits in Stax, you were still playing Stax and that was a problem no amount of new cards with CMC > 2 could fix. Similarly, regardless of how good this card is in a Bant-manabase'd version of Hypergenesis, you're still playing Hypergenesis, a deck that is not competitive.

StarCityGames.com Legacy Open - Columbus
    Deck Name: Hypergenesis Position: 5/258
    by Todd Anderson

Creatures [20]
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Progenitus
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Instants [12]
    4 Force of Will
    4 Misdirection
    4 Violent Outburst

Sorceries [6]
    2 Hypergenesis
    4 Show and Tell

Lands [16]
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Taiga
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wooded Foothills

Others [6]
    2 Maelstrom Wanderer
    4 Shardless Agent

Sideboard
    1 Ingot Chewer
    3 Terastodon
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Dismember

5th out of 258 seems legit :)

That deck is fucking hilarious. Loses to CotV on zero without Show and Tell, but I can see why it did so well.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    That deck is fucking hilarious. Loses to CotV on zero without Show and Tell, but I can see why it did so well.
    It sure is funny, but how many decks play CotV in their 75? Other then that this deck is pretty resistant to discard.

Thread Information