Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Cheap Cascade Dude

Re: New Cheap Cascade Dude

Quote Originally Posted by TorpidNinja View Post
    There have only be 4 faerie creatures ever printed without Flying. If this had Flying it would be insane..
    Yeah, I'm not even expecting it to be a Faerie, but one can always hope. It would be perfect for Faeries.

Yeah, this and the two 3cc cascade cards just gives you more ways to chain into Living End or Hypergenesis.

But really, he's a fairly costed dork that pitches to Force of Will and gets you value. Stuff him in a Grixis deck and it's highly likely that he's dropping Bolts and shit on opponents and their creatures. A 2cc 2/2 in the best-ish colors that also either filters your next few turns or kills an opposing creature when he hits play? Seems strong.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Ancestral Visions is something you can actually play independent of this Cascade guy though. Also, you would pretty much have to set that play up like you would with a Miracle card, and that hasn't proved to particularly effective yet either so I don't think he will be that good.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I don't see what all the fuss is about. He's probably only playable in that Hypergenesis deck. If you play him in a more conventional deck you'll be wasting Brainstorms without fetches, Swords to Plowshares without decent targets, lategame discard, and you can't run 1cc counterspells in a U deck...

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    Yeah, I'm not even expecting it to be a Faerie, but one can always hope. It would be perfect for Faeries.
    Fallen Faerie
    UB
    Creature - Faerie Wizard
    Cascade
    "They always come with one trick up their sleeve."
    2/2

:D

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Definitely gonna have to revisit 4-5C Hypergenesis again because of this boi. Where are some Tendo Ice Bridges when you need them?
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

This guy will fit perfectly into my grixis tempo list

CREATURES 13
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Vexing Devil
    3 CASCADE NINJA
    2 Vendilion Clique

INSTANTS 23
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    3 Force
    2 Daze
    3 Stifle
    1 Countersquall
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Ghastly Demise
    1 Diabolical edict
    1 Go for the Throat

SORCERIES 6
    3 Thought seize
    2 Chain lightning
    1 Reforge the Soul

LANDS 18
    4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands

May 2011
    New Zealand

Apparently it's UG, not UB as previously stated.

So... hypergenesis anyone?

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Basaka View Post
    Apparently it's UG, not UB as previously stated.

So... hypergenesis anyone?
    Homer: It's just a little airborne! It's still good, it's still good!

Mega Shark VS. Giant Octopus!
    Jan 2009

Hypergenesis will never be competitive... ever. Also, if this is UG, that doesn't change a whole lot. If anything the card gets better.
    feefox: each card in hand!!!!
    ridicolous
    only fortune

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Playing Cascade as a means to play a shitty Show and Tell is contrary to many of the foundations of the format. You should never be pissed about playing a 2/2 for 2cmc (UB, UG, doesn't matter) and then Cascading into Brainstorm, because it isn't your win condition (HyperG). I'll readily admit to my shitty standing as a deckbuilder, but I don't see that any Cascade effect is a reliable means of playing combo in this format when it means (a) not winning on the very turn you bed the combo (b) looking at the 2-mana dude and going "If he flips a Swords or a Brainstorm I hate my life, maybe I shouldn't play them" (c) Ignoring that Show and Tell is a card and just going with that instead.

It's kind of like seeing Miracles and going "oh shit Long Term Plans is playable now", when the real card you should be talking about is Jace. I'm not saying that a 2/2 for 2 with Cascade isn't playable; but I don't think Hypergenesis is going to break it, when it literally would implore you to play combo without all the good 1 mana filtering/card drawing/digging spells in the format, lest you accidentally flip a Brainstorm and feel like a dickhead.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. He's probably only playable in that Hypergenesis deck. If you play him in a more conventional deck you'll be wasting Brainstorms without fetches, Swords to Plowshares without decent targets, lategame discard, and you can't run 1cc counterspells in a U deck...
    When you're getting the Brainstorms and StoPs for free, what is there to waste? It's only an advantage.

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

I'm most looking forward to Cascading into Restore Balance with this guy. Of all the broken things you can do, casting Balance for UG four times in a game is one of my favorites.

Mega Shark VS. Giant Octopus!
    Jan 2009

Yeah, I guess I had forgotten about this: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=339414 (sry for the link to our worst enemies or whatever, I couldn't find an equivalent on these boards). Seems interesting. I think this card is better than most of the miracles everyone is enfatuated with (but worse than the now out of style ones like TM)
    feefox: each card in hand!!!!
    ridicolous
    only fortune

The "Dude with Cascade" costs 1GU according to more recent revelations on MTGS. Makes sense; if a 3/2 hasty Cascade guy costs 4 mana, then a 2/2 should costs 3 and not 2 mana.

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    The "Dude with Cascade" costs 1GU according to more recent revelations on MTGS. Makes sense; if a 3/2 hasty Cascade guy costs 4 mana, then a 2/2 should costs 3 and not 2 mana.
    Well, eff. That's a lot trickier. Sure you could get your Goyfs for free, but you also risk your control going off at the wrong time way more often. That's really a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    The "Dude with Cascade" costs 1GU according to more recent revelations on MTGS....
    There's a world of difference between 2 cc and 3 cc. This is doubly true for cascade.

What a surprise that it's blue.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

I thought this guy looked pretty sick (spoiled on MTGS):

UB artifact creature
    Deathtouch, flying
    When ETB, draw a card. 1/1

It cantrips to replace itself and trades with just about anything. Could be decent with an active Academy Ruins as you can keep trading with their dudes without forgoing your draw. Also, potentially something playable that you can bounce with Esperzoa to good effect.

Also, Mods... I figure as there's only 21 cards in the set, this thread should just get renamed as the Planechase discussion thread.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    I thought this guy looked pretty sick (spoiled on MTGS):

UB artifact creature
    Deathtouch, flying
    When ETB, draw a card. 1/1

It cantrips to replace itself and trades with just about anything. Could be decent with an active Academy Ruins as you can keep trading with their dudes without forgoing your draw. Also, potentially something playable that you can bounce with Esperzoa to good effect.

Also, Mods... I figure as there's only 21 cards in the set, this thread should just get renamed as the Planechase discussion thread.

Both this and the Cascade guy are blue... i didn't get the memo that blue get actually good creatures now. Also cascade wasn't a blue ability and now get colorshifted in blue?zzz

Thread Information