Thread: Jap vs Korean foils

Jap vs Korean foils

Whats the general thought on jap foils pricing vs korean?

Does the fact korean is very hard to match an entire deck vs jap matter to alot of people?

Person of interest
    Aug 2006
    Woodland, CA

Re: Jap vs Korean foils

Korean is generally valued higher because it's so hard to find. I don't care for either, so I can't weigh in on entire-deck pimping strategies.

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

Korean is far rarer thus more expensive - more so than Japanese and Russian (and German, which seems suddenly much more in demand for some reason).
    mtgpimp

I prefer English, but if I was to pick a foreign language to pimp my deck with, I would choose Japanese. Although Korean is far more rare, you cannot achieve the same consistency as you could with Japanese, since not as many cards were printed in Korean. As far as looks go, I think that Korean looks a lot better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    It's a core set, this is essentially bitching about a new Tonka Truck line while owning a collection of actual monster trucks.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

If you're going for aesthetics, then whatever you find pleasing will be the best.

If you're going for foiling out, then Japanese has a higher penetration of older cards in foil. Korean foiling only started with M12 onwards, and many of the older cards only come in vanilla flavor.

That said, the newer Korean cards shouldn't really fetch more than 2x their English counterparts in non-foil, and maybe no more than 2.5x than their foil analogs. Japanese foil market is pretty much steady, and the Korean market hasn't really settled much yet.

If you're intent on purchasing Korean foil, set your self a price you're happy with and try to snipe.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

(and German, which seems suddenly much more in demand for some reason).
    The main reason I picked german for my stuff is that pretty much everything exists in German. And now I want to play Karakas/Grim Tutor in my decks *sigh*.
    If everything existed in Russian foil and I had the coins I'd pimp it like that because russian cards are awesome.
    Last edited by JamieW89; 05-30-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Missed the quote

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW89 View Post
    The main reason I picked german for my stuff is that pretty much everything exists in German. And now I want to play Karakas/Grim Tutor in my decks *sigh*.
    If everything existed in Russian foil and I had the coins I'd pimp it like that because russian cards are awesome.
    Russian cards were flavor of the month, but the sheen has come off them recently.

There's no real reason for German foil to be particularly expensive since many other languages are as available as it.
    mtgpimp

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I have a sneaking suspicion that GP Ghent has something to do with demand for German language cards.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information